PDA

View Full Version : Interesting new approach to collision avoidance assistance

John Scott
May 5th 06, 11:49 PM
Here is a device that assist with collision avoidance and does not require
any cooperation from the other aircraft:

http://www.fosterflight.com/

After reading the FAQs, it does not appear it will be readily applicable to
gliders since in it's current form, it only is effective in level cruise
flight, but it might be an interesting technology to watch.

John Scott

Andreas Maurer
May 6th 06, 01:04 AM
On Fri, 5 May 2006 16:49:32 -0600, "John Scott"
> wrote:

>After reading the FAQs, it does not appear it will be readily applicable to
>gliders since in it's current form, it only is effective in level cruise
>flight, but it might be an interesting technology to watch.

Please note this line on their homepage:
"... to see traffic IN FRONT of the user."

This point makes it completely useless for gliders, sorry to say that.

Bye
Andreas

Mal
May 6th 06, 01:16 AM
> This point makes it completely useless for gliders, sorry to say that.
>

> Bye
> Andreas

Bold statement have you tried one in a glider ?

Bill Daniels
May 6th 06, 01:27 AM
Several years ago, perhaps as many as 10, there was a simular product under
development that 'saw' the intense infrared emission lines of common Xenon
strobe lights. The developer wanted to place 'flys-eye' lenses on the
wingtips to watch a 360 degree sphere. According to published test results,
it could detect strobes at more than five miles in bright daylight. I
wonder what happened to that idea.

Bill

"John Scott" > wrote in message
> Here is a device that assist with collision avoidance and does not require
> any cooperation from the other aircraft:
>
> http://www.fosterflight.com/
>
> After reading the FAQs, it does not appear it will be readily applicable
> to gliders since in it's current form, it only is effective in level
> cruise flight, but it might be an interesting technology to watch.
>
> John Scott

Andreas Maurer
May 7th 06, 01:15 AM
On Sat, 06 May 2006 00:16:29 GMT, "Mal" > wrote:

>Bold statement have you tried one in a glider ?

Most of the times the danger comes from the area that I'm not looking
at - and this is anywhere but in front of me.

As long as this device doesn't cover all 360 degrees around me, it's
next to useless.

Bye
Andreas

Google