PDA

View Full Version : CFI Student Questions

Slick
May 6th 06, 04:20 AM
I've started my work on My CFI and commercial after deciding soaring is a
crucial part of my life. Now that I've started my pursuit, I've gotten stuck
in all of this CFI work. Is there an example of Glider Lesson Plans
somewhere? Also, is the soaring guide by the FAA an important part to being
able to attain my CFI? I've been reading through the 1999 PTS guide and they
refer to the Jeppesenn Soaring Flight Manual that appears to be no longer in
production, is this a problem?

Mainly I'm looking for Lesson Plan examples. I was told to go through the
PTS and create lesson plans for each objective, but without having an
example I'm not quite sure how to attack this project. Thanks for all of
your help.

-Slick-

P. Corbett
May 6th 06, 04:38 AM
Slick wrote:
> I've started my work on My CFI and commercial after deciding soaring is a
> crucial part of my life. Now that I've started my pursuit, I've gotten stuck
> in all of this CFI work. Is there an example of Glider Lesson Plans
> somewhere? Also, is the soaring guide by the FAA an important part to being
> able to attain my CFI? I've been reading through the 1999 PTS guide and they
> refer to the Jeppesenn Soaring Flight Manual that appears to be no longer in
> production, is this a problem?
>
> Mainly I'm looking for Lesson Plan examples. I was told to go through the
> PTS and create lesson plans for each objective, but without having an
> example I'm not quite sure how to attack this project. Thanks for all of
> your help.
>

> -Slick-

Slick:

Check out the websites of Bob Wander and Tom Knauff. Both offer
excellent materials for preparing for the CFIG rating.

Paul

BTIZ
May 6th 06, 06:03 AM
I'd have to check... but I think you can find an outline of an "approved"
FAA lesson plan in the text on the Fundamentals of Instruction

I'll second the Knauff and Wander books
BT

"Slick" > wrote in message
> I've started my work on My CFI and commercial after deciding soaring is a
> crucial part of my life. Now that I've started my pursuit, I've gotten
> stuck
> in all of this CFI work. Is there an example of Glider Lesson Plans
> somewhere? Also, is the soaring guide by the FAA an important part to
> being
> able to attain my CFI? I've been reading through the 1999 PTS guide and
> they
> refer to the Jeppesenn Soaring Flight Manual that appears to be no longer
> in
> production, is this a problem?
>
> Mainly I'm looking for Lesson Plan examples. I was told to go through the
> PTS and create lesson plans for each objective, but without having an
> example I'm not quite sure how to attack this project. Thanks for all of
> your help.
>

> -Slick-

> News==----
> Newsgroups
> =----

Tony Verhulst
May 6th 06, 03:25 PM
Slick wrote:
> .... I've been reading through the 1999 PTS guide and they
> refer to the Jeppesenn Soaring Flight Manual that appears to be no longer in
> production, is this a problem?

The excellent Soaring Flight Manual has been replaced by the FAA Glider
Flying Handbook. Although the SSA no longer sells the SFM, it is still
available on Amazon.com - for now.

> Mainly I'm looking for Lesson Plan examples.

Bob Wander's Learning to Fly Gliders is good for this, I think. See my
brief review of it in the "primary instruction" section at
http://home.comcast.net/~verhulst/GBSC/read_lst/index.htm

Tony V.

Thomas Knauff
May 8th 06, 02:52 PM
My popular (over 4,000 sold) Glider Flight Instructor's Manual not only
includes lesson plans for ab-initio students, but for transition pilots as
well.

The manual explains how to teach each flying lesson, and includes written
tests.

Also includes the CFI Accident Prevention Manual which explains how to
implement important (and required) judgment training during a person's
flight training.

A separate, small booklet has all the lesson plans & sign-offs in it so you
can carry it along on flights. We keep one in our trainer pocket as a memory
jogger for our CFIs.

You may order from our web site at www.eglider.org

Tom Knauff

"Slick" > wrote in message
> I've started my work on My CFI and commercial after deciding soaring is a
> crucial part of my life. Now that I've started my pursuit, I've gotten
stuck
> in all of this CFI work. Is there an example of Glider Lesson Plans
> somewhere? Also, is the soaring guide by the FAA an important part to
being
> able to attain my CFI? I've been reading through the 1999 PTS guide and
they
> refer to the Jeppesenn Soaring Flight Manual that appears to be no longer
in
> production, is this a problem?
>
> Mainly I'm looking for Lesson Plan examples. I was told to go through the
> PTS and create lesson plans for each objective, but without having an
> example I'm not quite sure how to attack this project. Thanks for all of
> your help.
>

> -Slick-

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

May 8th 06, 04:57 PM
Strongly suggest you begin to broaden your soaring library now and
purchase BOTH the Knauff and Wander books. Both are good, and I used
both as references during my CFIG practical several years ago.

The Knauff manual is invaluable in your first year of instructing to
better understand the student/CFIG interaction, and to assist you in
providing the best possible "product" for your student.

Good luck--

Skip Guimond

Slick
May 8th 06, 11:00 PM
Your description of the book on your website was enough to make me order it,
thanks to everyone for their help.
"Thomas Knauff" > wrote in message
> My popular (over 4,000 sold) Glider Flight Instructor's Manual not only
> includes lesson plans for ab-initio students, but for transition pilots as
> well.
>
> The manual explains how to teach each flying lesson, and includes written
> tests.
>
> Also includes the CFI Accident Prevention Manual which explains how to
> implement important (and required) judgment training during a person's
> flight training.
>
> A separate, small booklet has all the lesson plans & sign-offs in it so
you
> can carry it along on flights. We keep one in our trainer pocket as a
memory
> jogger for our CFIs.
>
> You may order from our web site at www.eglider.org
>
> Tom Knauff
>

> "Slick" > wrote in message
> > I've started my work on My CFI and commercial after deciding soaring is
> > crucial part of my life. Now that I've started my pursuit, I've gotten
> stuck
> > in all of this CFI work. Is there an example of Glider Lesson Plans
> > somewhere? Also, is the soaring guide by the FAA an important part to
> being
> > able to attain my CFI? I've been reading through the 1999 PTS guide and
> they
> > refer to the Jeppesenn Soaring Flight Manual that appears to be no
longer
> in
> > production, is this a problem?
> >
> > Mainly I'm looking for Lesson Plan examples. I was told to go through
the
> > PTS and create lesson plans for each objective, but without having an
> > example I'm not quite sure how to attack this project. Thanks for all of
> > your help.
> >

> > -Slick-

> News==----
> > http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+