PDA

View Full Version : Zimbabwe gliding location ?

May 7th 06, 03:38 AM
On a recent visit to Zimbabwe, from neighbouring S.Africa, I found that
the previous Midlands Gliding club was 'broken'. Most 'non-natives'
have left the country.

I'm told that previously known Sunnyside gliding club has relocated,
but can't trace the new location.

Please post any info which may help locate a contact to the remaining
Zimbabwian facilities.

Thanks for any info.

== Chris Glur.

Mal
May 7th 06, 03:53 AM
Sunnyside Soaring Centre, Zimbabwe - Africa
Gliders:
a.. Blanik L-13 x 2
b.. Swallow

Launching System:
a.. Winch

Flying Costs:
(US$: ZW$ 1 : 12)
Visitors ZW$ 50 per launch
Members ZW$ 30 per launch
Pupils ZW$ 20 per launch

Membership:
Annual Membership - ZW$500
Location
Concession, 60km North of Harare, Zimbabwe, Africa
Other Info:
a.. 57 members, about 20 active
b.. 1000m grass strip for the club; hanger; club house;
c.. Usually weekends and holidays
d.. Flying all year. Best soaring September to Mid November
e.. For current information:
Club on weekends Tel: +263 1756 255
E-mail:

Clint
May 7th 06, 04:27 PM
Mal wrote:
> Sunnyside Soaring Centre, Zimbabwe - Africa
> Gliders:
> a.. Blanik L-13 x 2
> b.. Swallow
>
> Launching System:
> a.. Winch
>
> Flying Costs:
> (US$: ZW$ 1 : 12)
> Visitors ZW$ 50 per launch
> Members ZW$ 30 per launch
> Pupils ZW$ 20 per launch
>
> Membership:
> Annual Membership - ZW$500
> Location
> Concession, 60km North of Harare, Zimbabwe, Africa
> Other Info:
> a.. 57 members, about 20 active
> b.. 1000m grass strip for the club; hanger; club house;
> c.. Usually weekends and holidays
> d.. Flying all year. Best soaring September to Mid November
> e.. For current information:
> Club on weekends Tel: +263 1756 255
> E-mail:

With inflation over 1000% per year - don't be shocked if you get quoted
millions of dollars for a launch. There is also an official exchange
rate and a more realistic unofficial exchange rate (about double to
triple the official rate).

I have a bottle of Orange Crush that a friend brought down about 6
months ago. The price on the bottle is $168 000 (probably about US$3).
The same bottle of Crush is now probably closer to 1/2 Million dollars
now.

Clinton
LAK 12

Mal
May 7th 06, 09:36 PM
> I have a bottle of Orange Crush that a friend brought down about 6
> months ago. The price on the bottle is $168 000 (probably about US$3).
> The same bottle of Crush is now probably closer to 1/2 Million dollars
> now.

When I lived there you could not even get rice bubbles due to sanctions so
think yourself lucky to pay a million bucks for an orange crush.

Google