PDA

View Full Version : D'oh! A new first...

Jay Honeck
May 10th 06, 04:38 AM
After 'Movie Night' concluded tonight (a double feature, BTW, with the
REAL "Memphis Belle" World War II documentary film, and "One Six Right"
-- the absolutely terrific movie about Van Nuys airport, released last
fall) -- one of our guests for the night, a pipeline pilot, asked to
borrow our courtesy van to fetch a bite to eat.

He came back in a couple of minutes later, to report that the battery
was dead, and that he had found the key turned to the "on" position.
None of us could figure out why anyone would do that, when it suddenly
dawned on me...

....I had moved the van back three feet to mow the grass. The front
bumper was overhanging the lawn, and I only needed to move it a bit.
However, I didn't want to just start it and stop it right away, cuz it
hadn't been run in a week, so I left it to warm up, and resumed mowing
the lawn.

That was last week, Friday. Today is Tuesday.

It had a full tank. 30 U.S. gallons...

:-(
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

C. Massey
May 10th 06, 04:44 AM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> After 'Movie Night' concluded tonight (a double feature, BTW, with the
> REAL "Memphis Belle" World War II documentary film, and "One Six Right"
> -- the absolutely terrific movie about Van Nuys airport, released last
> fall) -- one of our guests for the night, a pipeline pilot, asked to
> borrow our courtesy van to fetch a bite to eat.
>
> He came back in a couple of minutes later, to report that the battery
> was dead, and that he had found the key turned to the "on" position.
> None of us could figure out why anyone would do that, when it suddenly
> dawned on me...
>
> ...I had moved the van back three feet to mow the grass. The front
> bumper was overhanging the lawn, and I only needed to move it a bit.
> However, I didn't want to just start it and stop it right away, cuz it
> hadn't been run in a week, so I left it to warm up, and resumed mowing
> the lawn.
>
> That was last week, Friday. Today is Tuesday.
>
> It had a full tank. 30 U.S. gallons...
>
> :-(
> --

Errrr... Remind me never to fly with you! :)

Guess that says good things about the crime rate in Iowa City though...

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0619-0, 05/08/2006
Tested on: 5/9/2006 10:44:29 PM

Jay Honeck
May 10th 06, 04:49 AM
> Guess that says good things about the crime rate in Iowa City though...

That's EXACTLY what the pipeline pilot said. Anywhere else in America,
the van would have been stolen long before it ran out of gas...

(We actually "lost" the van once, when a transient pilot left it at the
airport, and we didn't notice for a day or two. Finally, when someone
else needed it, we realized that NO ONE knew where it was! A few
frantic phone calls tracked it down... Only in Iowa! :-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Flyingmonk
May 10th 06, 04:51 AM
Jay Honeck wrote:
> After 'Movie Night' concluded tonight (a double feature, BTW, with the
> REAL "Memphis Belle" World War II documentary film, and "One Six Right"
> -- the absolutely terrific movie about Van Nuys airport, released last
> fall) -- one of our guests for the night, a pipeline pilot, asked to
> borrow our courtesy van to fetch a bite to eat.
>
> He came back in a couple of minutes later, to report that the battery
> was dead, and that he had found the key turned to the "on" position.
> None of us could figure out why anyone would do that, when it suddenly
> dawned on me...
>
> ...I had moved the van back three feet to mow the grass. The front
> bumper was overhanging the lawn, and I only needed to move it a bit.
> However, I didn't want to just start it and stop it right away, cuz it
> hadn't been run in a week, so I left it to warm up, and resumed mowing
> the lawn.
>
> That was last week, Friday. Today is Tuesday.
>
> It had a full tank. 30 U.S. gallons...
>
> :-(
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

LOL, That's the first for you? I do that all the time. I don't light
turning the engine off, prefer to let it idle while I run in to 7-11 or
Dunkin Donuts or something, most times my gas is touching 'E' ( 'E'
means enough right?) <g>

My runabout is a stickshift and kids on three different occasions tried
to steal it while I'minside the store only to find out that they don't
know what the third pedal is for.

Mostly I leaving lights on and the baterry is drained.

The Monk

Montblack
May 10th 06, 05:55 AM
("Jay Honeck" wrote)
> That was last week, Friday. Today is Tuesday.
>
> It had a full tank. 30 U.S. gallons...

$75 - Ouch!

http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/myths/idling.html
"Idling for 1 hour burns nearly 1 gallon of gasoline."

"For every two minutes a car is idling, it uses about the same amount of
fuel it takes to go about one mile."

So that van ran for 30 hours and nobody reported it?

Good muffler.

Montblack
http://www.twincitiesgasprices.com/index.aspx

Richard Riley
May 10th 06, 07:15 AM
Montblack wrote:
> ("Jay Honeck" wrote)
> > That was last week, Friday. Today is Tuesday.
> >
> > It had a full tank. 30 U.S. gallons...
>

> $75 - Ouch!

I don't know where you are, Mont, but in Los Angeles 87 octane is
running $3.30-$3.50/ US Gal. right now.

Montblack
May 10th 06, 07:51 AM
("Richard Riley" wrote)
>> > It had a full tank. 30 U.S. gallons...

>> $75 - Ouch!

> I don't know where you are, Mont, but in Los Angeles 87 octane is running
> $3.30-$3.50/ US Gal. right now.

Minnesota - Twin Cities - Anoka County - Blaine
http://www.twincitiesgasprices.com/index.aspx
Twin Cities gas prices (high and low).
$2.57/Gallon

Montblack - one mile from the Upper Mississippi River
45° 08' 38.27" N 93° 15' 39.64" W

[Open house May 20 & 21]
(ANE) Anoka County-Blaine Airport
10 miles [north] of Downtown Minneapolis
18 miles [north] of M/SP International Airport. (@ 12 O'Clock)

"Mel Brooks is Jewish?" - Homer Simpson

FLAV8R
May 10th 06, 12:03 PM
"Jay Honeck" wrote in message ...
> After 'Movie Night' concluded tonight (a double feature, BTW, with the
> REAL "Memphis Belle" World War II documentary film, and "One Six Right"
> -- the absolutely terrific movie about Van Nuys airport, released last
> fall)

Great movie "One Six Right", I wish they would make one about about
GA Aviation as a whole, to include other airports around the country.

> ...I had moved the van back three feet to mow the grass.
> I didn't want to just start it and stop it right away, cuz it
> hadn't been run in a week, so I left it to warm up, and resumed mowing
> the lawn.
>
> That was last week, Friday. Today is Tuesday.
>
> It had a full tank. 30 U.S. gallons...

I did something similar, only mine was with a new boat and a very
quiet Yamaha 4stroke engine (03' 115hp).
After pulling up to the dock I let the engine run so that could continue
entertaining my guests with music and lights and all the rest of the
electrically powers items while I began off loading the boat.
After which we went out to dinner and later that night I return to
the boat just to make sure I did leave anything behind.
Much to my surprise as I approached the boat I could see
the pee hole was still spitting water out, that's when I realized
the engine was still running.

BTW - Here in SC 30gals = 77usd.

David

Jim Burns
May 10th 06, 01:05 PM
Ok, what will clean chocolate milk off of my monitor!!??!! :)
Thanks Jay ;)

Jim

Jay Honeck
May 10th 06, 01:15 PM
> So that van ran for 30 hours and nobody reported it?

Amazing but true. At idle, that big ol' V-8 is very quiet.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Steve Foley
May 10th 06, 01:26 PM
Wait for Jay's next post and take a big swig of rubbing alcohol before
reading it :)

"Jim Burns" > wrote in message
> Ok, what will clean chocolate milk off of my monitor!!??!! :)
> Thanks Jay ;)
>
> Jim

Mortimer Schnerd, RN
May 10th 06, 02:28 PM
Richard Riley wrote:
> I don't know where you are, Mont, but in Los Angeles 87 octane is
> running $3.30-$3.50/ US Gal. right now.

$2.54 this morning in South Carolina.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Montblack
May 10th 06, 04:34 PM
("FLAV8R" wrote)
> Much to my surprise as I approached the boat I could see the pee hole was
> still spitting water out, that's when I realized the engine was still
> running.

The Gas Grill is my nemessis.

I leave it on "High" (lid down) to clean it for 10 minutes, after the meat's
been served - which invariably turns into hours more often than not.

My job: Setup, clean, cook, serve.
Her job: Remember (for me) to turn grill "Off" ...while we're eating.

Montblack

Jim Burns
May 10th 06, 04:36 PM
Sounds just like our house.
(hmm... something smell "hot"?)
Jim

"Montblack" > wrote in message
> ("FLAV8R" wrote)
> > Much to my surprise as I approached the boat I could see the pee hole
was
> > still spitting water out, that's when I realized the engine was still
> > running.
>

> The Gas Grill is my nemessis.
>
> I leave it on "High" (lid down) to clean it for 10 minutes, after the
meat's
> been served - which invariably turns into hours more often than not.
>
> My job: Setup, clean, cook, serve.
> Her job: Remember (for me) to turn grill "Off" ...while we're eating.
>

> Montblack

Garner Miller
May 10th 06, 04:38 PM
In article >, Montblack
> wrote:

> The Gas Grill is my nemessis.
>
> I leave it on "High" (lid down) to clean it for 10 minutes, after the meat's
> been served - which invariably turns into hours more often than not.

Hahaha... I've done that. Only one time, I forgot there was a burger
near the back where I didn't notice it. An hour and a half later, I
remember the grill's still on. I shut it off, open it up, and there's
the burger. Ugh. So I go to scrape it off with the spatula, and it
dissolves into a pile of ash when I touch it.

Yummmmmm.....

Newps
May 11th 06, 12:10 AM
Jay Honeck wrote:

> (We actually "lost" the van once, when a transient pilot left it at the
> airport, and we didn't notice for a day or two. Finally, when someone
> else needed it, we realized that NO ONE knew where it was! A few
> frantic phone calls tracked it down... Only in Iowa! :-)

Only in Iowa? Not hardly. Most of the western US would qualify.

.Blueskies.
May 11th 06, 01:17 AM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message oups.com...
> After 'Movie Night' concluded tonight (a double feature, BTW, with the
> REAL "Memphis Belle" World War II documentary film, and "One Six Right"
> -- the absolutely terrific movie about Van Nuys airport, released last
> fall) -- one of our guests for the night, a pipeline pilot, asked to
> borrow our courtesy van to fetch a bite to eat.
>
> He came back in a couple of minutes later, to report that the battery
> was dead, and that he had found the key turned to the "on" position.
> None of us could figure out why anyone would do that, when it suddenly
> dawned on me...
>
> ...I had moved the van back three feet to mow the grass. The front
> bumper was overhanging the lawn, and I only needed to move it a bit.
> However, I didn't want to just start it and stop it right away, cuz it
> hadn't been run in a week, so I left it to warm up, and resumed mowing
> the lawn.
>
> That was last week, Friday. Today is Tuesday.
>
> It had a full tank. 30 U.S. gallons...
>
> :-(
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

Just blew all the money you have been saving with the grape! ;-)

FLAV8R
May 11th 06, 01:29 AM
"Newps" wrote in message ...
> Only in Iowa? Not hardly. Most of the western US would qualify.

I am of the assumption that the statement "Only in Iowa" would mean
that the car had not actually been stolen but merely misplaced.

Which if the case, it would then disqualify all major US cities.
With no distinction between Western or Eastern, Northern or
Southern cities.

David - KONT, KSWF, KORL, KGMU, KGPM, KWBW, KHWO

B A R R Y
May 11th 06, 12:52 PM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
> Richard Riley wrote:
>> I don't know where you are, Mont, but in Los Angeles 87 octane is
>> running $3.30-$3.50/ US Gal. right now.
>

> $2.54 this morning in South Carolina.

$3 in CT.

John Gaquin
May 11th 06, 02:21 PM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message

>..... so I left it to warm up, and resumed mowing
> the lawn.
>
> That was last week, Friday. Today is Tuesday.

Exactly where do you hide this thing to park it, that it could sit running
through Friday evening and all of Saturday without attracting comment? :-)
Probably ran dry by Sat night. Also, I guess you don't have much call for
the courtesy van, if you got through the whole weekend without needing it.
Gee, I'm glad I'VE never done anything like that!! ;-}

Jim Burns
May 11th 06, 03:08 PM
A few years ago I came home from work and noticed that my wife's car wasn't
in the driveway as normal. I simply assumed that she wasn't home yet, but
after entering the house and finding her there, I naturally asked where the
car was. "In the driveway" I was told but then corrected her that no it
really wasn't. Hmm.... where's the car?! We instantly thought that someone
had stole it as we always leave the keys in it, but living in the country a
1/4 mile off the road, never worry about it.

So we both tear out the door and look at the spot that the car normally sits
(as if it should magically appear)... nope no car. We look around the yard
(as if the kids had taken it to play with in the sandbox)... no car. So I
start walking down the driveway and finally spot it.... buried deep in the
underbrush of the little oak woods that our driveway dissects on it's way up
the hill to our garage. The car had backed "itself" down the center of the
driveway until it came to the ONLY spot without a 10" or larger oak tree,
then turned 90 degrees and continued into the chest high weeds, brush, and
undergrowth. Nearly completely hidden from view. Considering the steepness
of our driveway, we were extremely lucky. If it had hit just a single tree
on it's driverless adventure, it would have most likely suffered severe
damage.

It escaped with only a few scratches and I escaped with only having to spend
a couple hours re-adjusting the parking brake.

Don't feel bad Jay... someday I'll tell you about the time that I left my
car running as I ran into the store in our one store/horse town.... it was
gone when I came out...

Jim

Jim Macklin
May 11th 06, 03:22 PM
If your drive is sloped you might want to park at an angle
so the car won't roll, or chock it against the curb,
remember the drivers' manual...how to park on a hill? Turn
your wheels so the car would roll into the curb.

"Jim Burns" > wrote in
message ...
|A few years ago I came home from work and noticed that my
wife's car wasn't
| in the driveway as normal. I simply assumed that she
wasn't home yet, but
| after entering the house and finding her there, I
naturally asked where the
| car was. "In the driveway" I was told but then corrected
her that no it
| really wasn't. Hmm.... where's the car?! We instantly
thought that someone
| had stole it as we always leave the keys in it, but living
in the country a
| 1/4 mile off the road, never worry about it.
|
| So we both tear out the door and look at the spot that the
car normally sits
| (as if it should magically appear)... nope no car. We
look around the yard
| (as if the kids had taken it to play with in the
sandbox)... no car. So I
| start walking down the driveway and finally spot it....
buried deep in the
| underbrush of the little oak woods that our driveway
dissects on it's way up
| the hill to our garage. The car had backed "itself" down
the center of the
| driveway until it came to the ONLY spot without a 10" or
larger oak tree,
| then turned 90 degrees and continued into the chest high
weeds, brush, and
| undergrowth. Nearly completely hidden from view.
Considering the steepness
| of our driveway, we were extremely lucky. If it had hit
just a single tree
| on it's driverless adventure, it would have most likely
suffered severe
| damage.
|
| It escaped with only a few scratches and I escaped with
only having to spend
| a couple hours re-adjusting the parking brake.
|
| Don't feel bad Jay... someday I'll tell you about the time
that I left my
| car running as I ran into the store in our one store/horse
town.... it was
| gone when I came out...
|
| Jim

Jay Honeck
May 11th 06, 03:36 PM
> Exactly where do you hide this thing to park it, that it could sit running
> through Friday evening and all of Saturday without attracting comment? :-)

That's the truly amazing thing...it was parked RIGHT OUT FRONT, but in
the farthest corner of the parking lot. It's just a very quiet
vehicle, at idle, and no one noticed.

> Also, I guess you don't have much call for
> the courtesy van, if you got through the whole weekend without needing it.

Last weekend was very unusual, in that regard. We were actually busier
on Monday and Tuesday than we were on Saturday night! I guess it was
the "calm before the storm", cuz University of Iowa graduation is this
coming weekend, and we're packed...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jay Honeck
May 11th 06, 03:43 PM
> Don't feel bad Jay... someday I'll tell you about the time that I left my
> car running as I ran into the store in our one store/horse town.... it was
> gone when I came out...

In our last business (newspaper distribution) it wasn't uncommon for
one of our drivers (we had 100+ on the road every morning) to be sick,
drunk, in an accident, or simply not show up. This would happen at
least once a month in the summer, more often in the winter.

USUALLY I had back up drivers in place, but when things really hit the
fan (if, for example, the press was extremely late in getting the
papers printed), I could find myself pressed into service delivering
papers.

On one occasion I was extremely tired and irate, and in a HUGE hurry,
cuz the deliveries were already late. I stepped out of the car, tossed
the paper -- and missed. I quickly ran up to the paper (to try another
toss), when I realized that I had failed to put the van in "Park"...

I'm sure I was quite a sight, chasing my van down the road at 6 AM.
Amazingly, I caught it, didn't kill myself, and didn't hit anything...

Ah, the good old days!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jim Burns
May 11th 06, 03:58 PM
LOL... "in the country" "1/4 mile from the road" the township's road
department doesn't "do" curbs. They do ditches, but just barely, and only
along the town roads.... but I get your drift. On the other hand, if it
HAD been parked at an angle, it still would have rolled and there would have
been no chance at all to miss the trees.

Jim

"Jim Macklin" > wrote in message
> If your drive is sloped you might want to park at an angle
> so the car won't roll, or chock it against the curb,
> remember the drivers' manual...how to park on a hill? Turn
> your wheels so the car would roll into the curb.
>

> "Jim Burns" > wrote in
> message ...
> |A few years ago I came home from work and noticed that my
> wife's car wasn't
> | in the driveway as normal. I simply assumed that she
> wasn't home yet, but
> | after entering the house and finding her there, I
> naturally asked where the
> | car was. "In the driveway" I was told but then corrected
> her that no it
> | really wasn't. Hmm.... where's the car?! We instantly
> thought that someone
> | had stole it as we always leave the keys in it, but living
> in the country a
> | 1/4 mile off the road, never worry about it.
> |
> | So we both tear out the door and look at the spot that the
> car normally sits
> | (as if it should magically appear)... nope no car. We
> look around the yard
> | (as if the kids had taken it to play with in the
> sandbox)... no car. So I
> | start walking down the driveway and finally spot it....
> buried deep in the
> | underbrush of the little oak woods that our driveway
> dissects on it's way up
> | the hill to our garage. The car had backed "itself" down
> the center of the
> | driveway until it came to the ONLY spot without a 10" or
> larger oak tree,
> | then turned 90 degrees and continued into the chest high
> weeds, brush, and
> | undergrowth. Nearly completely hidden from view.
> Considering the steepness
> | of our driveway, we were extremely lucky. If it had hit
> just a single tree
> | on it's driverless adventure, it would have most likely
> suffered severe
> | damage.
> |
> | It escaped with only a few scratches and I escaped with
> only having to spend
> | a couple hours re-adjusting the parking brake.
> |
> | Don't feel bad Jay... someday I'll tell you about the time
> that I left my
> | car running as I ran into the store in our one store/horse
> town.... it was
> | gone when I came out...
> |
> | Jim

Jim Burns
May 11th 06, 04:07 PM
We had a guy do that with a pickup entering a cattle pasture... he got out
to open the gate, managed to get in front of the truck and then the truck
slowly drove forward and pinned him against the fence post. Because it was
in gear, he couldn't push it off of himself. Thank God it was slightly up
hill so the truck didn't put too much pressure on his legs and he wasn't
hurt. He called from his portable radio for someone to come rescue him.

He said he thought he could "beat" the truck and jump back in as it drove
itself though the open gateway. Duh, he didn't even have it pointed
through the middle of the driveway!

"here's your sign"

Jim

Montblack
May 11th 06, 05:10 PM
("Jim Burns" wrote)
> So we both tear out the door and look at the spot that the car normally
> sits (as if it should magically appear)... nope no car. We look around
> the yard (as if the kids had taken it to play with in the sandbox)... no
> car. So I start walking down the driveway and finally spot it.... buried
> deep in the underbrush of the little oak woods that our driveway dissects
> on it's way up the hill to our garage. The car had backed "itself" down
> the center of the driveway until it came to the ONLY spot without a 10" or
> larger oak tree, then turned 90 degrees and continued into the chest high
> weeds, brush, and undergrowth. Nearly completely hidden from view.

The best time to question a child is when they're under anesthesia. They
give up all their secrets then. :-)

My little brother had "fell out of the tree" down pat when he was 5 years
old. Under anesthesia, when they were setting his broken arm, it changed to
"fell off the boat" ...which he was not suppose to be climbing on! Mom said
zip - wanted to see how long he'd stick to the tree story. High School
graduation!! <g>

Montblack

C. Massey
May 11th 06, 05:15 PM
"Jim Burns" > wrote in message
>A few years ago I came home from work and noticed that my wife's car wasn't
> in the driveway as normal. I simply assumed that she wasn't home yet, but
> after entering the house and finding her there, I naturally asked where
> the
> car was. "In the driveway" I was told but then corrected her that no it
> really wasn't. Hmm.... where's the car?! We instantly thought that
> someone
> had stole it as we always leave the keys in it, but living in the country
> 1/4 mile off the road, never worry about it.

<snip>

Since we are sharing D'oh's...

Mine wasn't too bad, but my heart sank...

Way back when in 1991 I bought a new Mustang LX with the 5.0L engine. The
morning after I bought it, I went to Tom Thumb to pick up a few groceries.
This Tom Thumb has 2 doors, one on the right and one on the left. I parked
at the door on the right on the front row, got my things, then walked out. I
knew that my car was supposed to be at the door, but it was GONE! My new 5.0
was gone! I looked all around and didn't see it anywhere, so I started
walking towards the payphone to call the police. As I was walking, I saw it
parked right where I had left it in front of the door. I wasn't paying
attention and walked out of the wrong door! Errrr....

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0619-2, 05/11/2006
Tested on: 5/11/2006 11:15:55 AM

C. Massey
May 11th 06, 05:17 PM
"B A R R Y" > wrote in message
. com...
> Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
>> Richard Riley wrote:
>>> I don't know where you are, Mont, but in Los Angeles 87 octane is
>>> running $3.30-$3.50/ US Gal. right now.
>>

>> $2.54 this morning in South Carolina.
>
> $3 in CT.

$2.82 here in Ft Worth area.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0619-2, 05/11/2006
Tested on: 5/11/2006 11:17:24 AM

Allen
May 11th 06, 05:29 PM
"C. Massey" > wrote in message
. com...

> "B A R R Y" > wrote in message
> . com...
>> Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
>>>

>>> $2.54 this morning in South Carolina.
>>
>> $3 in CT.
>

> $2.82 here in Ft Worth area.

$2.69 today in Waco, TX

Jim Macklin
May 11th 06, 05:51 PM
My family told me that when I was about 3 years old I
released the brake on the family car, while it was parked in
the neighbor's drive and I steered it down the hill
backwards about 150 feet, across the road and into the
ditch. Too bad they didn't have video cameras back in
1948-49, the video could be sold to TV.

You can buy some of those pre-cast concrete parking lot
stops and make your own curb. Find an inclinometer (the
ball part of a T&B) and mount two of them so you can tell
whether the vehicle is parked level in both front to rear
and side to side. You could just use a 6 inch spirtit
level, but this an aviation group. I had a Danforth anchor
in my Jeep CJ7, to use with the winch when there were trees,
posts or vehicles to attach to when I needed to pull myself
out of a spot, but if you had two small Danforth anchors and
3 feet of chain on the front and rear bumpers, you could
sound your bell, set you lights, pipe in the watch and drop
anchor, this would be good practice for when you get your
seaplane rating.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

"Jim Burns" > wrote in
message ...
| LOL... "in the country" "1/4 mile from the road" the
township's road
| department doesn't "do" curbs. They do ditches, but just
barely, and only
| along the town roads.... but I get your drift. On the
other hand, if it
| HAD been parked at an angle, it still would have rolled
and there would have
| been no chance at all to miss the trees.
|
| Jim
|
| "Jim Macklin" > wrote
in message
| > If your drive is sloped you might want to park at an
angle
| > so the car won't roll, or chock it against the curb,
| > remember the drivers' manual...how to park on a hill?
Turn
| > your wheels so the car would roll into the curb.
| >

| > "Jim Burns" > wrote in
| > message
| > |A few years ago I came home from work and noticed that
my
| > wife's car wasn't
| > | in the driveway as normal. I simply assumed that she
| > wasn't home yet, but
| > | after entering the house and finding her there, I
| > naturally asked where the
| > | car was. "In the driveway" I was told but then
corrected
| > her that no it
| > | really wasn't. Hmm.... where's the car?! We
instantly
| > thought that someone
| > | had stole it as we always leave the keys in it, but
living
| > in the country a
| > | 1/4 mile off the road, never worry about it.
| > |
| > | So we both tear out the door and look at the spot that
the
| > car normally sits
| > | (as if it should magically appear)... nope no car. We
| > look around the yard
| > | (as if the kids had taken it to play with in the
| > sandbox)... no car. So I
| > | start walking down the driveway and finally spot
it....
| > buried deep in the
| > | underbrush of the little oak woods that our driveway
| > dissects on it's way up
| > | the hill to our garage. The car had backed "itself"
down
| > the center of the
| > | driveway until it came to the ONLY spot without a 10"
or
| > larger oak tree,
| > | then turned 90 degrees and continued into the chest
high
| > weeds, brush, and
| > | undergrowth. Nearly completely hidden from view.
| > Considering the steepness
| > | of our driveway, we were extremely lucky. If it had
hit
| > just a single tree
| > | on it's driverless adventure, it would have most
likely
| > suffered severe
| > | damage.
| > |
| > | It escaped with only a few scratches and I escaped
with
| > only having to spend
| > | a couple hours re-adjusting the parking brake.
| > |
| > | Don't feel bad Jay... someday I'll tell you about the
time
| > that I left my
| > | car running as I ran into the store in our one
store/horse
| > town.... it was
| > | gone when I came out...
| > |
| > | Jim
| > |
| > |
| > |

karl gruber
May 11th 06, 05:55 PM
When my friend Sam and I were newly minted private pilots (1965) we went
down to Pearson Field in Vancouver, Washington to rent a Cessna 172. We were
pretty familiar with the FBO people and they said to just walk to the line
and jump into the 172 that had they keys in it.

Well, we did run down there and, sure enough, a pretty 172 was sitting there
with the keys in it all ready to go. We started it up and did our runup and
SOMETHING seemed a little strange, but we continued and took off.

While we were flying around something WAS a little strange, the engine
seemed to rev up a little higher. But everything was OK and we continued on.
Pretty soon we heard Portland Radio calling out our N number. This seemed a
little strange since how would they know we were up? This was in the days of
the Narco Super Homer, and even at their best, were terrible radios. We
tried to call back but got no responce. I think we flew around for about an
hour and a half and then returned.

After we landed and parked we were surprised to have the Washington State
Patrol show up! It seems that some pilot had landed his Cessna 175 and was
unloading it when someone STOLE it. Of course it was us!

The owner was pretty good about it and everyone had a pretty good laugh
after a long while. He was happy to get it back in one piece. We ended up
paying the 175 owner the amount that the 172 would have costed us to rent.
Plus we got to learn that there even was somthing known as a 175.

Karl
ATP CFI ETC
"Curator" N185KG

Jim Macklin
May 11th 06, 06:06 PM
That would make one of those PRICELESS ads.
Getting the day to go flying.
Getting to go home afterward, priceless

Today, what would Homeland Security say?

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

"karl gruber" > wrote in message
| When my friend Sam and I were newly minted private pilots
(1965) we went
| down to Pearson Field in Vancouver, Washington to rent a
Cessna 172. We were
| pretty familiar with the FBO people and they said to just
walk to the line
| and jump into the 172 that had they keys in it.
|
| Well, we did run down there and, sure enough, a pretty 172
was sitting there
| with the keys in it all ready to go. We started it up and
did our runup and
| SOMETHING seemed a little strange, but we continued and
took off.

| While we were flying around something WAS a little
strange, the engine
| seemed to rev up a little higher. But everything was OK
and we continued on.
| Pretty soon we heard Portland Radio calling out our N
number. This seemed a
| little strange since how would they know we were up? This
was in the days of
| the Narco Super Homer, and even at their best, were
terrible radios. We
| tried to call back but got no responce. I think we flew
around for about an
| hour and a half and then returned.
|
| After we landed and parked we were surprised to have the
Washington State
| Patrol show up! It seems that some pilot had landed his
Cessna 175 and was
| unloading it when someone STOLE it. Of course it was us!
|
| The owner was pretty good about it and everyone had a
pretty good laugh
| after a long while. He was happy to get it back in one
piece. We ended up
| paying the 175 owner the amount that the 172 would have
costed us to rent.
| Plus we got to learn that there even was somthing known as
a 175.

| Karl
| ATP CFI ETC
| "Curator" N185KG

Casey Wilson
May 11th 06, 07:34 PM
Try dropping a ZIP code into this:

http://autos.msn.com/everyday/gasstations.aspx?zip=&src="Netx

Dale Falk
May 11th 06, 07:39 PM
In article <LZJ8g.18374$ZW3.11673@dukeread04>,
"Jim Macklin" > wrote:

> My family told me that when I was about 3 years old I
> released the brake on the family car, while it was parked in
> the neighbor's drive and I steered it down the hill
> backwards about 150 feet, across the road and into the
> ditch. Too bad they didn't have video cameras back in
> 1948-49, the video could be sold to TV.
>
> You can buy some of those pre-cast concrete parking lot
> stops and make your own curb. Find an inclinometer (the
> ball part of a T&B) and mount two of them so you can tell
> whether the vehicle is parked level in both front to rear
> and side to side. You could just use a 6 inch spirtit
> level, but this an aviation group. I had a Danforth anchor
> in my Jeep CJ7, to use with the winch when there were trees,
> posts or vehicles to attach to when I needed to pull myself
> out of a spot, but if you had two small Danforth anchors and
> 3 feet of chain on the front and rear bumpers, you could
> sound your bell, set you lights, pipe in the watch and drop
> anchor, this would be good practice for when you get your
> seaplane rating.

3 feet of chain may not provide the proper scope. <G>

Montblack
May 11th 06, 08:57 PM
("Casey Wilson" wrote)
> Try dropping a ZIP code into this:
>
> http://autos.msn.com/everyday/gasstations.aspx?zip=&src="Netx

55434
$2.59 (Lowest - today)

I'm very loyal to my local gas station. It's rare if I fill up elsewhere.
My station is #2. ($2.59)

Montblack
#2 (today) doesn't show up on the map, but it's west of the (ANE) airport,
where the "N" in Anoka is. <g>

Ben Jackson
May 11th 06, 09:48 PM
On 2006-05-11, C. Massey > wrote:

> Way back when in 1991 I bought a new Mustang LX with the 5.0L engine. The
> morning after I bought it, I went to Tom Thumb to pick up a few groceries.
> This Tom Thumb has 2 doors,

I did this on a grand scale at the Marriot at Hobby International in
Houston. I parked in the A terminal lot (which doubles as a hotel parking
lot) and went down the stairs to a tram that runs in a loop and stops
under the hotel lobby. The next morning I went back to the lobby, down
to the tram and around to the stop at the lot. I knew something was
wrong, because there was yellow caution tape on the stairway, and it was
caked thick with dust from disuse -- and I had been on it only yesterday!
As I got to the top of the stairs and looked for my car, not only was
there no car, there was no LOT. It was a giant field of dirt with a few
pieces of heavy equipment. Turns out I was on the other side of the
hotel, at the symmetrical parking lot, which was under construction.

Imagine that feeling you have when you reach for a bottle you think is
full, but is actually empty. You automatically apply too much force
and nearly throw it. Now multiply that sensation by 1000...

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/

Skywise
May 11th 06, 10:06 PM
Ok...here's my car D'oh!!!

I had been having problems with the heater core rusting out.
Long story short, the new after-market aluminum cores do not
like the green anti-freeze. So after putting in the 4th core
in about two years and finally learning about this problem,
I was changing to the new orange stuff.

But when I was switching over, I needed to flush the system.
So, I disconnected one of the hoses that goes through the
firewall to the heater core to act as the drain and then put
the hose in the filler cap and let 'er run, flushing the old
stuff out.

I went back in the house and came out about 10-15 minutes
later to finihs things up. Upon opening the door to the car
I discovered water 6 inches deep inside!!!

Turned out the hose I used as a drain was splashing the water
against the firewall, which was not water tight. The water
was running down the firewall and leaking through along the
bottom edge at a joint.

D'OH!!!

BTW, since changing to the new orange anti-freeze, I've not
had to replace the core....yet.

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?

Jim Macklin
May 11th 06, 10:29 PM
Some engine blocks are cast iron and if the
water/anti-freeze solution is not proper ph, the iron will
rust and flacks will circulate into the heater core until it
is plugged. It can also cause corrosion of the aluminum.

The best way to flush the system is in reverse so you need a
water hose and some connections, best and cheapest is to
take it to a radiator shop. How much are the new carpets?

Any computers mounted on the floor under the seats?

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

"Skywise" > wrote in message
| Ok...here's my car D'oh!!!
|
| I had been having problems with the heater core rusting
out.
| Long story short, the new after-market aluminum cores do
not
| like the green anti-freeze. So after putting in the 4th
core
| in about two years and finally learning about this
problem,
| I was changing to the new orange stuff.
|
| But when I was switching over, I needed to flush the
system.
| So, I disconnected one of the hoses that goes through the
| firewall to the heater core to act as the drain and then
put
| the hose in the filler cap and let 'er run, flushing the
old
| stuff out.
|
| I went back in the house and came out about 10-15 minutes
| later to finihs things up. Upon opening the door to the
car
| I discovered water 6 inches deep inside!!!
|
| Turned out the hose I used as a drain was splashing the
water
| against the firewall, which was not water tight. The water
| was running down the firewall and leaking through along
the
| bottom edge at a joint.
|
| D'OH!!!
|
| BTW, since changing to the new orange anti-freeze, I've
not
| had to replace the core....yet.
|
| Brian
| --
| http://www.skywise711.com - Lasers, Seismology, Astronomy,
Skepticism
http://www.skywise711.com/SeismicFAQ/SeismicFAQ.html
http://www.skywise711.com/quakes/EQDB/index.html
| Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?

.Blueskies.
May 11th 06, 10:41 PM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message oups.com...
>> Exactly where do you hide this thing to park it, that it could sit running
>> through Friday evening and all of Saturday without attracting comment? :-)
>
> That's the truly amazing thing...it was parked RIGHT OUT FRONT, but in
> the farthest corner of the parking lot. It's just a very quiet
> vehicle, at idle, and no one noticed.

Probably didn't hear it because of that big, bad, noisy airport! ;-)

Jim Macklin
May 11th 06, 10:43 PM
flakes
"Jim Macklin" > wrote
in message news:H1O8g.18385$ZW3.12834@dukeread04...
| Some engine blocks are cast iron and if the
| water/anti-freeze solution is not proper ph, the iron will
| rust and flacks will circulate into the heater core until
it
| is plugged. It can also cause corrosion of the aluminum.
|
| The best way to flush the system is in reverse so you need
| water hose and some connections, best and cheapest is to
| take it to a radiator shop. How much are the new carpets?
|
| Any computers mounted on the floor under the seats?
|

| --
| James H. Macklin
| ATP,CFI,A&P
|
| --
| The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
| But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
| some support
| http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
| See http://www.fija.org/ more about your rights and
duties.

| "Skywise" > wrote in message
|| Ok...here's my car D'oh!!!
|| I had been having problems with the heater core rusting
| out.
|| Long story short, the new after-market aluminum cores do
| not
|| like the green anti-freeze. So after putting in the 4th
| core
|| in about two years and finally learning about this
| problem,
|| I was changing to the new orange stuff.
|| But when I was switching over, I needed to flush the
| system.
|| So, I disconnected one of the hoses that goes through the
|| firewall to the heater core to act as the drain and then
| put
|| the hose in the filler cap and let 'er run, flushing the
| old
|| stuff out.
|| I went back in the house and came out about 10-15 minutes
|| later to finihs things up. Upon opening the door to the
| car
|| I discovered water 6 inches deep inside!!!
|| Turned out the hose I used as a drain was splashing the
| water
|| against the firewall, which was not water tight. The
water
|| was running down the firewall and leaking through along
| the
|| bottom edge at a joint.
|| D'OH!!!
|| BTW, since changing to the new orange anti-freeze, I've
| not
|| had to replace the core....yet.
|| Brian
|| --
|| http://www.skywise711.com - Lasers, Seismology,
Astronomy,
| Skepticism
|| Seismic FAQ:
| http://www.skywise711.com/SeismicFAQ/SeismicFAQ.html
|| Quake "predictions":
| http://www.skywise711.com/quakes/EQDB/index.html
|| Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?

Skywise
May 12th 06, 06:38 AM
"Jim Macklin" > wrote in

> Some engine blocks are cast iron and if the
> water/anti-freeze solution is not proper ph, the iron will
> rust and flacks will circulate into the heater core until it
> is plugged. It can also cause corrosion of the aluminum.

Interesting. I'm not sure about the block off hand, but the
heads are aluminum. I know as one had to be replaced and I
have the old one as a door stop.

How I found out about the need to use the different anti-freeze
was when I called a Chevy dealer repair shop and told him what
was happening. The guy knew about the problem and said that
they hadn't known about it themselves until recently. They had
the same problem on a customers pickup with the main radiator
and had to replace it several times for free when it kept
corroding out every two months before they finally found out
about it. They said it was specifically an incompatability with
aluminum and the green fluid. So far (knock on wood) I've not
had a problem since changing to the orange stuff.

> The best way to flush the system is in reverse so you need a
> water hose and some connections, best and cheapest is to
> take it to a radiator shop. How much are the new carpets?
>
> Any computers mounted on the floor under the seats?

Fortunately, no. The computer is under the dash.

Although it took a while to get the carpets dried out,
they're fine.

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?

Jim Macklin
May 12th 06, 10:42 AM
There are many aluminum alloys, some are better for certain
purposes than others. I use distilled water rather than
city tap water and mix that with the anti-freeze. It
doesn't cost more than a dollar a gallon and keeps the
minerals out of the cooling system.

"Skywise" > wrote in message
| "Jim Macklin" > wrote
in

| > Some engine blocks are cast iron and if the
| > water/anti-freeze solution is not proper ph, the iron
will
| > rust and flacks will circulate into the heater core
until it
| > is plugged. It can also cause corrosion of the
aluminum.

| Interesting. I'm not sure about the block off hand, but
the
| heads are aluminum. I know as one had to be replaced and I
| have the old one as a door stop.
|
| How I found out about the need to use the different
anti-freeze
| was when I called a Chevy dealer repair shop and told him
what
| was happening. The guy knew about the problem and said
that
| they hadn't known about it themselves until recently. They
had
| the same problem on a customers pickup with the main
radiator
| and had to replace it several times for free when it kept
| corroding out every two months before they finally found
out
| about it. They said it was specifically an incompatability
with
| aluminum and the green fluid. So far (knock on wood) I've
not
| had a problem since changing to the orange stuff.
|

| > The best way to flush the system is in reverse so you
need a
| > water hose and some connections, best and cheapest is to
| > take it to a radiator shop. How much are the new
carpets?

| > Any computers mounted on the floor under the seats?
|
| Fortunately, no. The computer is under the dash.
|
| Although it took a while to get the carpets dried out,
| they're fine.
|
| Brian
| --
| http://www.skywise711.com - Lasers, Seismology, Astronomy,
Skepticism
| Seismic FAQ:
http://www.skywise711.com/SeismicFAQ/SeismicFAQ.html
| Quake "predictions":
http://www.skywise711.com/quakes/EQDB/index.html
| Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?

Skywise
May 13th 06, 01:08 AM
"Jim Macklin" > wrote in

> There are many aluminum alloys, some are better for certain
> purposes than others. I use distilled water rather than
> city tap water and mix that with the anti-freeze. It
> doesn't cost more than a dollar a gallon and keeps the
> minerals out of the cooling system.
<Snipola>

Interesting.

But wouldn't that cause problems? I mean, it's bad to drink
distilled water because it has no minerals. The pH level
causes minerals in your body to leach out. Would not something
similar happen to the engine?

I know from my knowledge of lasers that very pure de-ionized
water is used to cool them becasuse the water is in direct
contact with the electrodes. The water needs constant filtering
to remain pure becuase it leaches minerals off the metal parts
and if allowed to build up, the water becomes conductive.

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?

Judah
May 13th 06, 04:00 AM
You wasted 30 Gallons of Gas!

Do you know how many hours of flight time that would pay for nowadays?!?!

Out here in New York that would pay the salaries of your entire kitchen
staff for a week!

;)

"Jay Honeck" > wrote in news:1147232294.578773.197660
@j73g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> After 'Movie Night' concluded tonight (a double feature, BTW, with the
> REAL "Memphis Belle" World War II documentary film, and "One Six Right"
> -- the absolutely terrific movie about Van Nuys airport, released last
> fall) -- one of our guests for the night, a pipeline pilot, asked to
> borrow our courtesy van to fetch a bite to eat.
>
> He came back in a couple of minutes later, to report that the battery
> was dead, and that he had found the key turned to the "on" position.
> None of us could figure out why anyone would do that, when it suddenly
> dawned on me...
>
> ...I had moved the van back three feet to mow the grass. The front
> bumper was overhanging the lawn, and I only needed to move it a bit.
> However, I didn't want to just start it and stop it right away, cuz it
> hadn't been run in a week, so I left it to warm up, and resumed mowing
> the lawn.
>
> That was last week, Friday. Today is Tuesday.
>
> It had a full tank. 30 U.S. gallons...
>
>:-(
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

Morgans
May 13th 06, 04:55 AM
"Judah" > wrote in message
. ..
> You wasted 30 Gallons of Gas!
>

> Do you know how many hours of flight time that would pay for nowadays?!?!

Less than one?

Jay Honeck
May 13th 06, 11:32 AM
> > Do you know how many hours of flight time that would pay for nowadays?!?!
>
> Less than one?

Actually, two -- in just plain fuel costs.

I try not to dwell on all the rest...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Richard Riley
May 13th 06, 06:16 PM
Jay Honeck wrote:
> > > Do you know how many hours of flight time that would pay for nowadays?!?!
> >
> > Less than one?
>
> Actually, two -- in just plain fuel costs.

Out here in LaLa Land, the local news just did a breathless story with
security cameras that taped a guy in an RV siphoning gas from a
delivery truck and a van in a parking lot late at night.

They said $1800 worth of gas was taken.

I didn't bother calling the station. If they really think RV's have a
500 gallon tank on board, who am I to correct them.

BTW, Jay, are you still able to buy non-blended mogas? I've been
looking around So. Cal and I can't find any here. I hate to run 100 LL
in a 2 stroke, but it looks like I won't have a choice.

Montblack
May 14th 06, 05:09 AM
("Richard Riley" wrote)
> BTW, Jay, are you still able to buy non-blended mogas? I've been looking
> around So. Cal and I can't find any here. I hate to run 100 LL in a 2
> stroke, but it looks like I won't have a choice.

My experience driving all around Iowa last year was, only a few pumps have
Ethanol blends in them - everything else is mostly non-blended mogas.

The opposite is true in the Twin Cities - and much of Minnesota.
99.5% of ALL pumps have Ethanol blends. You have to hunt for the rare
station that has one pump set aside for "Ethanol Free/Non-Oxygenated"
....it's usually Premium gas. One pump out of many... might as well sell the
expensive stuff.

Montblack

Jay Honeck
May 14th 06, 11:39 AM
> BTW, Jay, are you still able to buy non-blended mogas? I've been
> looking around So. Cal and I can't find any here. I hate to run 100 LL
> in a 2 stroke, but it looks like I won't have a choice.

It was good talking to you yesterday, Richard!

As we discussed, despite the fact that Iowa is "to blame" for ethanol,
we still have no trouble finding ethanol-free mogas.

Thank goodness. God only knows how much longer this situation will
last...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA