PDA

View Full Version : Anti-glare covers for Ipaq - Do they work?

TTaylor at cc.usu.edu
May 15th 06, 07:49 PM
I recently upgraded from an Ipaq 3760 to an Ipaq 3950 series PDA. I
noticed the screen is brighter, but also I am getting more glare in the
cockpit. Have others tried the anti-glare screen protectors and do
they help?

Thanks ,

Tim

May 15th 06, 08:02 PM
I use the BoxWave on my 3955, and the glare is certainly reduced. You
also get a slight reduction in 'brightness'. Can't have it both ways I
guess. And they protect from scratches.

Bob

Ray Lovinggood
May 15th 06, 08:12 PM
Tim,

I use an Ipaq 3955 with Glide Navigator II. I bought
the Ipaq used and it came with a screen protector on
it. Since I've never used it without the screen protector,
I can't say if it does any good at reducing glare and
I'm not even sure if it is supposed to. Now, I'm calling
it a 'screen protector' but heck, it might be a 'glare
reducer.' It's just a clear plastic overlay stuck
onto the screen and I've never attempted to pull it
off.

In some light, I can see it fine and in others, its
a bit of a strain. But I have to say it was the same
for my Compaq Aero 1520. Sometimes, I just had to
wait a few seconds in the thermal for the sun to be
at the right angle so I could easily read the screen.
I don't find the Ipaq much different than the older
Aero in that regard. I was running PocketNAV on the
Aero...very similar to Glide Navigator II in the way
it appears on the screen.

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

At 18:54 15 May 2006, Ttaylor At Cc.Usu.Edu wrote:
>I recently upgraded from an Ipaq 3760 to an Ipaq 3950
>series PDA. I
>noticed the screen is brighter, but also I am getting
>more glare in the
>cockpit. Have others tried the anti-glare screen protectors
>and do
>they help?
>
>Thanks ,
>
>Tim

Marc Ramsey
May 15th 06, 08:13 PM
TTaylor at cc.usu.edu wrote:
> I recently upgraded from an Ipaq 3760 to an Ipaq 3950 series PDA. I
> noticed the screen is brighter, but also I am getting more glare in the
> cockpit. Have others tried the anti-glare screen protectors and do
> they help?

Actually, some of us would consider that to be a downgrade, for
precisely the reason indicated in this post (want to sell your 3760?
8^). Certain anti-glare screen protectors help a bit (I use BoxWave
ClearTouch Anti-Glare), but the real problem for many 45+ year old eyes
is that the backlighting on transflective displays is just not bright
enough to provide adequate contrast in bright sunlight. Reflective
displays (like the 3760 has) have better contrast in sunlight, their
weakness is in dim lighting, such as being under a dark cloud, or in an
office.

About the only solution I've come up with is maximizing the contrast on
the display, by using a pure white background with black markings. I'm
going to try white on black at some point to see if that works better...

Marc

Bill Daniels
May 15th 06, 08:57 PM
I've been using a borrowed Ipaq 3955 which is supposed to have one of the
best screens - actually it's crap unless the sun angle is just right. No
LCD screen is fully 'sunlight readable' unless it has a monster backlight
that pulls huge amperage. As it is, the 3955 significantly reduced my
battery life over my old 1550 that died from a 6" fall.

I've been looking at a 12V component computer system running WinXP. There
are 6" transflective LCD screens with ultra-bright LED backlights. I'd have
to switch on the backlight with a stick grip switch whenever I wanted to see
it or carry huge batteries.

Just maybe there is hope in new screen technology. Maybe OLED displays will
be better outdoors although some reviewers say not. "E-Paper" reflective
screens look just like printed paper and take very little power.
Unfortunately, neither of these technologies are currently available in a
WinCE device you can buy - yet. I'm trying not to buy until something much
better is available.

Bill

"Marc Ramsey" > wrote in message
> TTaylor at cc.usu.edu wrote:
>> I recently upgraded from an Ipaq 3760 to an Ipaq 3950 series PDA. I
>> noticed the screen is brighter, but also I am getting more glare in the
>> cockpit. Have others tried the anti-glare screen protectors and do
>> they help?
>
> Actually, some of us would consider that to be a downgrade, for precisely
> the reason indicated in this post (want to sell your 3760? 8^). Certain
> anti-glare screen protectors help a bit (I use BoxWave ClearTouch
> Anti-Glare), but the real problem for many 45+ year old eyes is that the
> backlighting on transflective displays is just not bright enough to
> provide adequate contrast in bright sunlight. Reflective displays (like
> the 3760 has) have better contrast in sunlight, their weakness is in dim
> lighting, such as being under a dark cloud, or in an office.
>
> About the only solution I've come up with is maximizing the contrast on
> the display, by using a pure white background with black markings. I'm
> going to try white on black at some point to see if that works better...
>
> Marc

Go
May 16th 06, 02:48 AM
Hi Tim,
I use the glare reducer/protector offered by Richard at Craggy Aero and
it improves readabilitiy but not enough for me. I often have to
eliminate color terrain features (Winpilot) to get better contrast.

What has really helped me was to move the Ipaq closer and on a mount
where I can rotate it as part of my problem is my polarized sunglasses.

Moving it closer has helped a lot. But that is probably because these
old eyes now need correction close and far and I wear graduated
trifocals now. Oh well!

Roger Worden
May 16th 06, 08:00 AM
I am very disappointed with the readability of my HP Ipaq in direct or
near-direct sunlight, although it was reviewed as being one of the
brightest. I switched to gradient sunglasses so that the bottom part does
not darken the screen so much. As someone else mentioned, the next step is
to mount it on a bracket that brings it closer... at a cost of $70-$100.

Grumble, grumble...

TTaylor at cc.usu.edu
May 16th 06, 10:48 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I will try one of the anti-glare covers.
The screen brightness is not so much an issue, it is mainly total
reflection from inside the canopy. I have it mounted with a RAM mount
about 18 inches in front of me on the left side on the canopy rail.
Marc I do have the old one as well as a 3670 for sale. I agree, they
do have a better screen for use in the glider.

Tim

Google