PDA

View Full Version : Lightning hitting Kennedy's jet.

R.L.
May 16th 06, 05:52 PM
Anyone know or see more details about Ted Kennedy's jet being struck by
lightning last Friday, other than what appeared in wire stories. Wonder how
the crew could divert to HVN and fly *manually* when they claim that all
power was lost.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2006/05/13/plane_carrying_sen_kennedy_struck_by_lightning/

Darkwing
May 16th 06, 05:59 PM
"R.L." > wrote in message
. com...
> Anyone know or see more details about Ted Kennedy's jet being struck by
> lightning last Friday, other than what appeared in wire stories. Wonder
> how
> the crew could divert to HVN and fly *manually* when they claim that all
> power was lost.
>
> http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2006/05/13/plane_carrying_sen_kennedy_struck_by_lightning/

Not even Mother Nature likes the swimmer.

DW

Skylune
May 16th 06, 06:09 PM
This kind of stuff happens often to the Kennedy's. See below.

Serves him right: all he was saving was a 2-2 1/2 hour drive, but
instead, he'd rather burn 100 gallons of jet fuel to save an hour travel
time. *******.

http://www.berkshireeagle.com/headlines/ci_3824143

Montblack
May 16th 06, 06:12 PM
("Darkwing" wrote)
> Not even Mother Nature likes the swimmer.

Would have been a better story had the jet diverted to Bridgeport.

Montblack

B A R R Y
May 16th 06, 06:13 PM
R.L. wrote:
> Anyone know or see more details about Ted Kennedy's jet being struck by
> lightning last Friday, other than what appeared in wire stories. Wonder how
> the crew could divert to HVN and fly *manually* when they claim that all
> power was lost.

If you draw a line from Pittsfield to Hyannis, it's kind of strange they
ended up in New Haven, rather than Oxford, Hartford, Bradley, or Groton.
I wonder what route they were flying?

A.Coleman
May 16th 06, 06:30 PM
Slightly off topic but you'll find this interesting.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x2282828#2282840

_______________________________________
"Darkwing" <theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "R.L." > wrote in message
> . com...
> > Anyone know or see more details about Ted Kennedy's jet being struck by
> > lightning last Friday, other than what appeared in wire stories. Wonder
> > how
> > the crew could divert to HVN and fly *manually* when they claim that all
> > power was lost.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2006/05/13/plane_carrying_sen_kennedy_struck_by_lightning/

> Not even Mother Nature likes the swimmer.

> DW

Jim Macklin
May 16th 06, 07:32 PM
Maybe they looked out the window.

"R.L." > wrote in message
. com...
| Anyone know or see more details about Ted Kennedy's jet
being struck by
| lightning last Friday, other than what appeared in wire
stories. Wonder how
| the crew could divert to HVN and fly *manually* when they
claim that all
| power was lost.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2006/05/13/plane_carrying_sen_kennedy_struck_by_lightning/

Kingfish
May 16th 06, 08:29 PM
>>>Wonder how the crew could divert to HVN and fly *manually* when they claim that all power was lost.<<<

The article said all "electrical" power was lost. The flight controls
are mechanical, although a landing at a towered field without comm
could be interesting.

>>>Anyone know or see more details about Ted Kennedy's jet being struck by lightning last Friday<<<

Pierre Salinger said it was hit by a missile...

Kingfish
May 16th 06, 08:32 PM
>>>Serves him right: all he was saving was a 2-2 1/2 hour drive, but instead, he'd rather burn 100 gallons of jet fuel to save an hour travel time. *******.<<<

This surprises you that someone would rather fly out to the Vineyard
than drive? You are an idiot.

Cal Vanize
May 16th 06, 08:55 PM
R.L. wrote:

> Anyone know or see more details about Ted Kennedy's jet being struck by
> lightning last Friday, other than what appeared in wire stories. Wonder how
> the crew could divert to HVN and fly *manually* when they claim that all
> power was lost.
>
> http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2006/05/13/plane_carrying_sen_kennedy_struck_by_lightning/

Mary Jo lives.

Roy Smith
May 16th 06, 09:09 PM
Kingfish > wrote:
>The article said all "electrical" power was lost. The flight controls
>are mechanical, although a landing at a towered field without comm
>could be interesting.

Landing at a towered field nordo is no more or less interesting than
landing anywhere else nordo. Watch out for other traffic, land, and
clear the runway. Nothing else really matters much. HVN is a pretty
sleepy place most of the time; you're more likely to find other
traffic at a lot of uncontrolled fields with active flight schools.

Kingfish
May 16th 06, 09:30 PM
>>>HVN is a pretty sleepy place most of the time<<<

Except for the three airlines that fly in & out. I used to work & fly
out of Bridgeport 12nm W.

Roy Smith
May 16th 06, 09:36 PM
In article m>,
Kingfish > wrote:

>Except for the three airlines that fly in & out. I used to work & fly
>out of Bridgeport 12nm W.

Only somebody who flew out of BDR would think HVN is a busy place :-)

A.Coleman
May 16th 06, 10:06 PM
BDR: what an unbelievable waste of a great resource for Bridgeport to help
itself crawl out of a decade's old economic abyss, but for the ratb@$+@rd
neighbors.

"Roy Smith" > wrote in message

> >Except for the three airlines that fly in & out. I used to work & fly
> >out of Bridgeport 12nm W.
>
> Only somebody who flew out of BDR would think HVN is a busy place :-)

Skylune
May 16th 06, 10:06 PM
by "Kingfish" > May 16, 2006 at 12:32 PM

This surprises you that someone would rather fly out to the Vineyard
than drive? You are an idiot

<<

You really are incredibly stupid. The Vineyard is not on the Cape, fool.

Kingfish
May 17th 06, 12:48 AM
>>>You really are incredibly stupid. The Vineyard is not on the Cape, fool<<<

LOL. Mr. Wannabe pilot is now a navigation expert? Martha's Vineyard is
considered part of Cape Cod, dimwit. Hence the phrase "Cape Cod & the
Islands". But once again you miss the point as you always do.

Kingfish
May 17th 06, 12:54 AM
>>>Only somebody who flew out of BDR would think HVN is a busy place :-) <<<

Everything's relative, right? Before the last commuter airlines beat
feet in '99, Bridgeport was a busy regional airport with three airlines
flying in & out. Now New Haven has the airlines and Bridgeport has 60+
bizjets and NY Helicopters based there. Before the current slowdown in
flight training, students would come over from Westchester & Long
Island to burn up the pattern - drove my pals in the tower nuts.

Kingfish
May 17th 06, 12:55 AM
>>>BDR: what an unbelievable waste of a great resource for Bridgeport to help
itself crawl out of a decade's old economic abyss, but for the
ratb@$+@rd
neighbors. <<<

????

Roy Smith
May 17th 06, 01:31 AM
"Kingfish" > wrote:
> Before the current slowdown in
> flight training, students would come over from Westchester & Long
> Island to burn up the pattern - drove my pals in the tower nuts.

Yeah. I'm based in HPN, and we go over to BDR all the time to find some
empty pavement to land on. Why did it drive the guys in the tower nuts?
We were keeping the tower in business.

John Gaquin
May 17th 06, 01:42 AM
"B A R R Y" > wrote in message news:cLnag.71478

> If you draw a line from Pittsfield to Hyannis, it's kind of strange they
> ended up in New Haven, rather than Oxford, Hartford, Bradley, or Groton. I
> wonder what route they were flying?

Just guessing, but the wx Sat was crap. IFR routing probably took them
south toward HVN, then east over th water toward the Cape. They would need
to avoid both the BDL and PVD approach and departure paths, plus need to
avoid the area between Hartford and PVD, as in this area inbound BOS traffic
is descending to cross PVD at 11K. Add a little tap-dancing around havy
precip, and it wouldn't be strange at all to wind up in HVN. Speculation.

Steve S
May 17th 06, 02:00 AM
"Kingfish" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> LOL. Mr. Wannabe pilot is now a navigation expert? Martha's Vineyard is
> considered part of Cape Cod, dimwit. Hence the phrase "Cape Cod & the
> Islands". But once again you miss the point as you always do.

But they were headed for Hyannis which is on the Cape not Martha's Vineyard.
The Kennedy Compound is in Hyannis not the Vineyard.

Most people who fly to Nantucket or the Vineyard would never say they're
going to the Cape nor vice versa. That's why it's Cape Cod _AND_ the
islands. They're 2 distinct entities.

almostthere
May 17th 06, 02:35 AM
I think he means the particularly onerous noise abatement and the fight over
runway extension.

"Kingfish" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> itself crawl out of a decade's old economic abyss, but for the
> ratb@$+@rd
> neighbors. <<<
>
> ????

almostthere
May 17th 06, 02:35 AM
Bizjets? Are you thinking of OXC instead? They have the hangars.

"Kingfish" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Everything's relative, right? Before the last commuter airlines beat
> feet in '99, Bridgeport was a busy regional airport with three airlines
> flying in & out. Now New Haven has the airlines and Bridgeport has 60+
> bizjets and NY Helicopters based there. Before the current slowdown in
> flight training, students would come over from Westchester & Long
> Island to burn up the pattern - drove my pals in the tower nuts.

John Gaquin
May 17th 06, 04:26 AM
"Kingfish" > wrote in message

> .......Martha's Vineyard is
> considered part of Cape Cod, dimwit. Hence the phrase "Cape Cod & the
> Islands".

Ummmm.... well, no, actually. The islanders do *not* consider themselves
part of the Cape-not at all!! It is "Cape Cod & the Islands" precisely
because they are different. Nor are they legally joined in any way.
Mainland Cape Cod comprises most of Barnstable County, while Nantucket is
its own - Nantucket County - as is Martha's Vineyard - The County of Dukes
County [yes, that's the correct construction: the county name is 'Dukes
County']

B A R R Y
May 17th 06, 12:21 PM
Kingfish wrote:

> LOL. Mr. Wannabe pilot is now a navigation expert? Martha's Vineyard is
> considered part of Cape Cod, dimwit. Hence the phrase "Cape Cod & the
> Islands". But once again you miss the point as you always do.

My news said he was headed to Hyannnis. <G>

B A R R Y
May 17th 06, 12:22 PM
Kingfish wrote:
>Before the current slowdown in
> flight training, students would come over from Westchester & Long
> Island to burn up the pattern - drove my pals in the tower nuts.

Now they have plenty of time to send $6 invoices to Sundowners who do
one T&G.

B A R R Y
May 17th 06, 12:32 PM
John Gaquin wrote:

> Just guessing, but the wx Sat was crap. IFR routing probably took them
> south toward HVN, then east over th water toward the Cape. They would need
> to avoid both the BDL and PVD approach and departure paths, plus need to
> avoid the area between Hartford and PVD, as in this area inbound BOS traffic
> is descending to cross PVD at 11K. Add a little tap-dancing around havy
> precip, and it wouldn't be strange at all to wind up in HVN. Speculation.

That makes sense.

Kingfish
May 17th 06, 01:45 PM
>>>Now they have plenty of time to send $6 invoices to Sundowners who do
one T&G.<<<

BDR didn't charge landing fees for T&G aircraft. If it ever happened it
was a mistake as nobody ever paid anyway.

Kingfish
May 17th 06, 01:47 PM
>>>Bizjets? Are you thinking of OXC instead? They have the hangars.<<<

No. When I worked for ops at BDR the based acft list had over 60+ jets
on it. Most were over at Atlantic Aviation & the rest were at PrivatAir

Roy Smith
May 17th 06, 01:53 PM
In article . com>,
"Kingfish" > wrote:

> one T&G.<<<
>
> BDR didn't charge landing fees for T&G aircraft. If it ever happened it
> was a mistake as nobody ever paid anyway.

How does it work at fields where locally based aircraft are exempt from
landing fees? Do the guys in the tower just recognize the tail numbers of
every based aircraft?

Years ago I did a T&G or something at TEB (Teterboro). Many months later,
my flying club presented me with a bill for $5 (or whatever it was) for the
landing fee. I figure at least $50 worth of various people's time must
have been wasted collecting that $5. Record the tail number, look it up in
the FAA registry, send out a bill, receive the check, do all the accounting
to show the bill paid, etc, etc. Not to mention the time wasted by my
flying club to go back through their records and figure out who had that
tail number that day so they could route the bill to the right member.

Kingfish
May 17th 06, 01:55 PM
>>>I'm based in HPN, and we go over to BDR all the time to find some
empty pavement to land on. Why did it drive the guys in the tower
nuts?
We were keeping the tower in business. <<<

I did the same thing when I was instructing at HPN as often times it
got too busy for ATC to work the T&G pattern with heavy airline
trafiic. At Bridgeport it wasn't so much the (then) endless T&G traffic
it was the absolutely clueless students, often with instructors
onboard, that busted the airspace and/or gave bad position reports
and/or screwed up the pattern entry instructions etc. I spent lots of
time hanging out in the tower with my pals and couldn't believe some of
what I'd seen & heard. The pilots that were ahead of the power curve
were never a hassle if they asked for a few circuits, it was the
students & the guys that fly 3 times a year that caused the headaches
for them.

Kingfish
May 17th 06, 01:58 PM
>>>But they were headed for Hyannis which is on the Cape not Martha's Vineyard.
The Kennedy Compound is in Hyannis not the Vineyard. <<<

Understood. The Vineyard is 10 minutes from Hyannis by jet and in all
the years I've been flying out there they've always been referred to as
one unit, right or wrong. Semantics.

Kingfish
May 17th 06, 02:24 PM
Roy S. wrote:

>>>How does it work at fields where locally based aircraft are exempt from landing fees? Do the guys in the tower just recognize the tail numbers of every based aircraft?<<<

Bridgeport doesn't charge landing fees for T&G ops, unlike some
airports. I'm told Farmingdale on Long Island charges $2.50 per ldg
which is why they cross the Sound to go to BDR for practice. Landing
fees are billed every month from the list of IFR arrivals - this list
is compared to the based aircraft list and the local aircraft aren't
sent a bill. VFR arrivals are on the honor system to sign in at the
terminal, and they're sent a bill at month's end. BTW most controllers
do recognize tail numbers of based aircraft after a while.

B A R R Y
May 17th 06, 03:27 PM
Kingfish wrote:
> one T&G.<<<
>
> BDR didn't charge landing fees for T&G aircraft. If it ever happened it
> was a mistake as nobody ever paid anyway.

We got a bill just 8 weeks ago. Maybe it's new thing?

Kingfish
May 17th 06, 04:36 PM
>>>We got a bill just 8 weeks ago. Maybe it's new thing?<<<

You got a bill from Bridgeport for touch & goes? If you dispute it
they'll probably toss it. I asked my old boss at airport ops there and
he said the only landing fees that are automatically billed are for IFR
arrivals (acft not based at BDR)

B A R R Y
May 17th 06, 04:42 PM
Kingfish wrote:

> You got a bill from Bridgeport for touch & goes? If you dispute it
> they'll probably toss it. I asked my old boss at airport ops there and
> he said the only landing fees that are automatically billed are for IFR
> arrivals (acft not based at BDR)

Thanks, I'll pass along the info to my co-owner. It's his bill.

Jessica Marshall
May 19th 06, 02:07 PM
Kingfish wrote:

> LOL. Mr. Wannabe pilot is now a navigation expert? Martha's Vineyard is
> considered part of Cape Cod, dimwit. Hence the phrase "Cape Cod & the
> Islands". But once again you miss the point as you always do.

LOL indeed "Kingfish!" Before you go around flaming someone with your weird
false information, you should attempt to get a clue first. I've lived in both
Cape Cod and Martha's Vineyard for many years. Martha's Vineyard is NOT
considered part of Cape Cod by anyone with any knowledge of the area. (If it
was, you probably wouldn't need to say "and the Islands" lol)

Now if you wanted to try to argue that Cape Cod was part of the islands, you'd
be....right since most of Cape Cod (e.g. everything east of the Cape Cod canal) is
an island, since it is surrounded by water and you can sail around it completely
in a boat.

Roy Smith
May 19th 06, 02:17 PM
In article >,
Jessica Marshall > wrote:

> Now if you wanted to try to argue that Cape Cod was part of the islands,
> you'd be....right since most of Cape Cod (e.g. everything east of the
> Cape Cod canal) is an island, since it is surrounded by water and you
> can sail around it completely in a boat.

Not quite. The Cape Code Canal navigation regulations require sailboats to
transit the canal under auxilliary power (i.e. motor). So, while you *can*
motor around it in a boat, you can't sail around it :-)

Steven P. McNicoll
May 19th 06, 02:24 PM
"Roy Smith" > wrote in message

> Not quite. The Cape Code Canal navigation regulations require sailboats
> transit the canal under auxilliary power (i.e. motor). So, while you
> *can*
> motor around it in a boat, you can't sail around it :-)

Words often have multiple definitions. One widely accepted definition of
"sail" is "to navigate or manage a vessel". So, if you *can* motor around
cape Cod in a boat, you CAN sail around it :-)

Kingfish
May 19th 06, 04:13 PM
Some newbie wrote:

>>>Before you go around flaming someone with your weird false information, you should attempt to get a clue first.<<<

As you are new here, you obviously don't know the reputation of the
putz my comment was directed at. Therefore, I'll cut you some slack and
offer my thanks for your gratuitous lesson in geography : )

>>>I've lived in both Cape Cod and Martha's Vineyard for many years. Martha's Vineyard is NOT considered part of Cape Cod by anyone with any knowledge of the area.<<<

Oddly enough most folks I know consider them one and the same. To those
of us that don't live on Cape Cod, it's just semantics.

Dave Stadt
May 20th 06, 01:05 AM
"Kingfish" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> As you are new here, you obviously don't know the reputation of the
> putz my comment was directed at. Therefore, I'll cut you some slack and
> offer my thanks for your gratuitous lesson in geography : )

> Oddly enough most folks I know consider them one and the same. To those
> of us that don't live on Cape Cod, it's just semantics.

This folk, whom doesn't live there, doesn't consider them the same by any
means. Nantucket is not 'one and the same' enought to have tried to go it
on its own in the recent past.

John Gaquin
May 20th 06, 01:17 AM
"Kingfish" > wrote in message

> Oddly enough most folks I know consider them one and the same.

Yes, that is odd. A single identifiable group whose members all have the
same misconception.

Google