PDA

View Full Version : Anyone flown out of a Presidental TFR ?

John Doe
May 17th 06, 10:55 PM
Just got word that there is a Presidental TFR going active for the Norfolk,
VA area this Friday.

It's right during my planned takeoff time and the airport I'm flying out of
is inside the 30nm TFR (and non-towered).

The NOTAM reads much like the DC ADIZ as far as procedures for flying out of
the TFR during it's period.

Since the airfield doesn't have a tower, are the procedures the same as the
DC ADIZ?

Roger
May 18th 06, 08:50 AM
On Wed, 17 May 2006 17:55:35 -0400, "John Doe" >
wrote:

>Just got word that there is a Presidental TFR going active for the Norfolk,
>VA area this Friday.
>
>It's right during my planned takeoff time and the airport I'm flying out of
>is inside the 30nm TFR (and non-towered).
>
>The NOTAM reads much like the DC ADIZ as far as procedures for flying out of
>the TFR during it's period.
>
>Since the airfield doesn't have a tower, are the procedures the same as the
>DC ADIZ?

When the Pres was here a couple years back we were able to get in and
out fine. We were just outside the 10 mile no fly zone (11.3 on the
317 radial). Even had a Falcon 900 stop and drop off passengers. That
was the largest plane to ever land here.

IF it's still the same we had a number of VFR planes in and out. At
that time it was; call in advance, get your clearance and squawk. Fly
*straight* out to the nearest edge. Here 24 was a slight right turn
to about 27 to 310. 06 was an immediate left turn to north (give or
take a little) 36 ws straight out and 18 was an immediate *right*
turn as soon as altitude would permit so had the wind favored 18 every
one would have been turning right at about 400 feet to follow the
express way. At 11.3 there wasn't a whole lot of room to spare.

Call the controlling agency and make sure of what is required and
don't deviate. They will tell you all the specifics for the day.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Doug
May 18th 06, 04:22 PM
Read the NOTAM. File IFR if you can. Otherwise file a VFR flight plan
and get flight following. It IS possible you won't be able to fly at
all, but more likely you will be able to, but you have to IFR or VFR
with flight following (and a Flight Plan would probably help here --
gives ATC confidence you know what you are doing).

Google