PDA

View Full Version : Gladiators of the Sky DVD

303SAM
May 19th 06, 08:17 PM
This is the story of the recent Soaring Gran Prix in NZ. It is
exceptionally well done and I recommend it to everyone on this list. I
think what they've done is right on target for making the excitement and
beauty of soaring accessible to a wide audience. The air to air shots are
fantastic.

I'd like to see this broadcast and read here recently that there were some
efforts underway to do just that. Does anyone know how to support the
efforts to get this story broadcast? Is there a network I should call,
write or email?

bagmaker
May 20th 06, 12:29 AM
I second that, its a great evenings entertainment, although the wife was only slightly interested!
Still the best gliding vid I have watched.
Well done to all concerned!

Bagger

Gabriel Duford
May 20th 06, 03:32 PM
Where can we buy it?

Wayne Paul
May 20th 06, 03:56 PM
The SSA has it for sale.
http://www.ssa.clientreadyweb.com/index.asp?cat=164150

Wayne
http://www.soaridaho.com/

"Gabriel Duford" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Where can we buy it?

John
May 20th 06, 11:19 PM
On 21/5/06 2:32 AM, in article
. com, "Gabriel Duford"
> wrote:

> Where can we buy it?

From

May 21st 06, 01:19 AM
I just received "Gladiators of the Sky" from the SSA and was crushed
when my DVD player rejected the disk as incompatible (I live in
Florida).
Apparently, and understandably, its in a 'New Zealand' format: PAL.
In the US and Japan we follow the NTSC format. Fortunately my iMac
didn't gag on the disk and it is AWSOME. Unfortunately, I will not be
able to captivate unsuspecting friends and family in my living-room
with a big screen and surround sound with this incredible production.
Either I don't have the right friends or the right personality, but I'm
sure nobody will crowd around my computer screen in a confined space to
wittness such a spectacular sport. I've run out of adjectives but I
highly recommend the DVD in any format.
Gene
John wrote:
> On 21/5/06 2:32 AM, in article
> . com, "Gabriel Duford"
> > wrote:
>
> > Where can we buy it?
> >
> From

Bruce Hoult
May 21st 06, 02:43 AM
In article . com>,
wrote:

> I just received "Gladiators of the Sky" from the SSA and was crushed
> when my DVD player rejected the disk as incompatible (I live in
> Florida).
> Apparently, and understandably, its in a 'New Zealand' format: PAL.
> In the US and Japan we follow the NTSC format.

It's not some sort of local NZ format -- PAL is the standard format used
everywhere in the world except the USA, Canada and Japan. And all of
our DVD players (even the cheapest) and TVs can play your minority NTSC
format as well. I don't know why your DVD player won't play the
world-wide standard. It really can't add much to the cost, since DVD
players selling here for $70 (US$45) do.

--
Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-

Mal
May 21st 06, 04:45 AM
I suggest you take the DVD to a stroe and try it in DVD players in the
store.

You will find most the newer DVD players will play it when you find one that
plays it make a purchase.

jcarlyle
May 21st 06, 09:21 AM
Gene, your computer might have an S-video output. If so, you could
simply route that into your big screen TV.

I haven't received my copy of the "Gladiators of the Sky" DVD yet, but
I'm certainly looking forward to it as a result of all these rave
reviews!

-John

Thomas Knauff
May 22nd 06, 01:10 AM
Knauff & Grove Soaring Supplies will have it in a few days.
Please watch our web site or sign up for our free newsletter for an
announcement.
The first shipment may not work on older DVD players. Another format for
older DVD players will be offered in a few weeks.
Either format will work on most computers with DVD players.

"bagmaker" > wrote in message

> I second that, its a great evenings entertainment, although the wife was
> only slightly interested!
> Still the best gliding vid I have watched.
> Well done to all concerned!
>
> Bagger
>

> --
> bagmaker

Kernow
May 22nd 06, 03:09 AM
DVDs are regionalised. It wouldn't matter what system, PAL, NTSC or
SECAM you were using if you have a region 1 DVD player that has not been
deregionalised it will not play DVDs from other regions.

The regional codes are as follows:

1: U.S., Canada, U.S. Territories
2: Japan, Europe, South Africa, and Middle East (including Egypt)
3: Southeast Asia and East Asia (including Hong Kong)
4: Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands, Central America, Mexico,
South America, and the Caribbean
5: Eastern Europe (Former Soviet Union), Indian subcontinent, Africa,
North Korea, and Mongolia
6: China

Many DVD players can be easily deregionalised, check the news groups or
websites that deal with this for details. My experience is that some
Sony players cannot be deregionalised. In the UK many DVD players are
sold already deregionalised, or the seller will tell you how to do it.
Typically pressing a bunch of the control buttons is all that is necessary.

I solved the problem by buying a deregionalised and code free
player/recorder unit from an outfit in Chicago.

However you needn't suffer all this pain if you play the DVD on a
computer that has a player such as Power DVD installed. This software
player is not regionalised. If your computer monitor is too small then
feed the output to an LCD projector.

I'm surprised that the SSA is selling a DVD with Aus/NZ region 4 coding.
John Roake is selling the Aus/NZ version. SSA should be selling
region 1 version.

Don't blame the TV formatting system, PAL/NTSC/SECAM, but the greed of
the movie makers who wish to prevent me buying cheap DVD movies in the
US and shipping them to friends and family in the UK and Asia.
Fortunately they have deregionalised DVD players, so their game doesn't
work with me.

Gladiators of the Sky is outstanding. I ordered mine from John Roake
and it is region 4, so it doesn't play on my very expensive Sony player,
but just fine on my deregionalised unit and my various computers.

kernow

wrote:
> I just received "Gladiators of the Sky" from the SSA and was crushed
> when my DVD player rejected the disk as incompatible (I live in
> Florida).
> Apparently, and understandably, its in a 'New Zealand' format: PAL.
> In the US and Japan we follow the NTSC format. Fortunately my iMac
> didn't gag on the disk and it is AWSOME. Unfortunately, I will not be
> able to captivate unsuspecting friends and family in my living-room
> with a big screen and surround sound with this incredible production.
> Either I don't have the right friends or the right personality, but I'm
> sure nobody will crowd around my computer screen in a confined space to
> wittness such a spectacular sport. I've run out of adjectives but I
> highly recommend the DVD in any format.
> Gene
> John wrote:
>
>>On 21/5/06 2:32 AM, in article
. com, "Gabriel Duford"
> wrote:
>>

>>>Where can we buy it?
>>>

>>From

Bruce Hoult
May 22nd 06, 08:24 AM
In article et>,
Kernow > wrote:

> I'm surprised that the SSA is selling a DVD with Aus/NZ region 4 coding.
> John Roake is selling the Aus/NZ version. SSA should be selling
> region 1 version.
>
> Don't blame the TV formatting system, PAL/NTSC/SECAM, but the greed of
> the movie makers who wish to prevent me buying cheap DVD movies in the
> US and shipping them to friends and family in the UK and Asia.
> Fortunately they have deregionalised DVD players, so their game doesn't
> work with me.
>
> Gladiators of the Sky is outstanding. I ordered mine from John Roake
> and it is region 4, so it doesn't play on my very expensive Sony player,
> but just fine on my deregionalised unit and my various computers.

I'm very surprised to hear that. The copy I purchased at Warbirds Over
Wanaka at Easter is not region coded at all (i.e. is region 0, playable
on anything). It would surprise me if either John's or the SSA's copies
are region coded.

--
Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-

Paul Remde
May 22nd 06, 02:26 PM
Hi,

The first batch was in PAL format. I complained strongly about this issue
and they are now producing NTSC versions which will be avaiable soon. I have
a bunch of the PAL ones in stock but I plan to return them. Some newer USA
DVD players can play them, but most cannot.

It is a very good video.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde

Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
Now serving the soaring community full time.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com
1-952-445-9033

"Bruce Hoult" > wrote in message
> In article et>,
> Kernow > wrote:
>
>> I'm surprised that the SSA is selling a DVD with Aus/NZ region 4 coding.
>> John Roake is selling the Aus/NZ version. SSA should be selling
>> region 1 version.
>>
>> Don't blame the TV formatting system, PAL/NTSC/SECAM, but the greed of
>> the movie makers who wish to prevent me buying cheap DVD movies in the
>> US and shipping them to friends and family in the UK and Asia.
>> Fortunately they have deregionalised DVD players, so their game doesn't
>> work with me.
>>
>> Gladiators of the Sky is outstanding. I ordered mine from John Roake
>> and it is region 4, so it doesn't play on my very expensive Sony player,
>> but just fine on my deregionalised unit and my various computers.
>
> I'm very surprised to hear that. The copy I purchased at Warbirds Over
> Wanaka at Easter is not region coded at all (i.e. is region 0, playable
> on anything). It would surprise me if either John's or the SSA's copies
> are region coded.
>
> --
> Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-
> Hoult | 174.8263E | /\ here. | ----------O----------

John
May 24th 06, 04:10 AM
On 21/5/06 8:21 PM, in article
. com, "jcarlyle"
> wrote:

All new shipments to USA will be in the NTSC format. We are currently
making an additional new master disc in the USA format and supplies to USA
will resume next week in this format.

Shipments for May to date exceed 1000 copies. Is this a record?

JOHN ROAKE.

P.S. We are happy to exchange any PAL copy for NTSC at no cost.

> Gene, your computer might have an S-video output. If so, you could
> simply route that into your big screen TV.
>
> I haven't received my copy of the "Gladiators of the Sky" DVD yet, but
> I'm certainly looking forward to it as a result of all these rave
> reviews!
>
> -John

May 24th 06, 02:26 PM
Bruce Hoult > writes:

> It's not some sort of local NZ format -- PAL is the standard format
> used everywhere in the world except the USA, Canada and Japan. And
> all of our DVD players (even the cheapest) and TVs can play your
> minority NTSC format as well. I don't know why your DVD player
> won't play the world-wide standard. It really can't add much to the
> cost, since DVD players selling here for $70 (US$45) do.

World? That's that thing that goes from NY to California isn't it? :)

It is worse Bruce, it cost's money to disable the PAL and SECAM decoding
in the chipsets...

--
Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
+61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.

303SAM
May 24th 06, 04:22 PM
Great to hear about the sales figures for this DVD.
Sorry some had compatibility problems.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this onto a broadcast, cable or
satelite network? (that was my original question)
Are there any efforts underway that RAS'ers could support?

"303SAM" > wrote in message
> This is the story of the recent Soaring Gran Prix in NZ. It is
> exceptionally well done and I recommend it to everyone on this list. I
> think what they've done is right on target for making the excitement and
> beauty of soaring accessible to a wide audience. The air to air shots are
> fantastic.
>
> I'd like to see this broadcast and read here recently that there were some
> efforts underway to do just that. Does anyone know how to support the
> efforts to get this story broadcast? Is there a network I should call,
> write or email?

ventus2
May 26th 06, 10:41 AM
> Great to hear about the sales figures for this DVD.
> Sorry some had compatibility problems.

Now all we have to do is educate the US that the world is Metric and all the
compatibility problems will be sorted.
:-)

Chris
(flame suit - on)