PDA

View Full Version : KIOW is the place to be Sunday, too!

Jay Honeck
May 21st 06, 03:24 AM
After weeks of truly dreadful weather, and an untold number of obstacles,
both natural and man-made, the Iowa City Big Kids Toys Show opened to the
public with a bang! What a turn-out!

The weather was *perfect*, Mustangs flew, T-6s growled, Pitts Specials
covered the town with smoke, helicopters flew in, kids received free Young
Eagle rides over the city, Vipers were test driven, and an awful lot of
people were fed pancakes and sausages...

And, best of all, Sunday (tomorrow), we get to do it all again! 7 AM
tomorrow morning the pancakes start cooking all over again, the Travel Air
starts selling rides, the Pitts will take you inverted (and beyond), and
planes from all over the Midwest will once again fill the pattern over Iowa
City. Stop in if you can!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Newps
May 21st 06, 05:34 AM
Jay Honeck wrote:

> After weeks of truly dreadful weather, and an untold number of obstacles,
> both natural and man-made, the Iowa City Big Kids Toys Show opened to the
> public with a bang! What a turn-out!
>
> The weather was *perfect*, Mustangs flew, T-6s growled, Pitts Specials
> covered the town with smoke, helicopters flew in, kids received free Young
> Eagle rides over the city, Vipers were test driven, and an awful lot of
> people were fed pancakes and sausages...
>
> And, best of all, Sunday (tomorrow), we get to do it all again! 7 AM
> tomorrow morning the pancakes start cooking all over again, the Travel Air
> starts selling rides, the Pitts will take you inverted (and beyond), and
> planes from all over the Midwest will once again fill the pattern over Iowa
> City. Stop in if you can!

And flights into mountain strips....oh wait, never mind. You're 1000
miles from the fun flying.

Jay Honeck
May 21st 06, 11:43 AM
> And flights into mountain strips....oh wait, never mind. You're 1000
> miles from the fun flying.

Thankfully, no. We've got three big, wide runways, and enough grass to
satisfy the Cubs and Stearmans. Field elevation: 668'.

Scared the crap outta me yesterday, those grass-lovers did. (We don't have
a grass strip, really!) I was sitting on my Gator, waiting to park the next
plane, when I spotted the first Cub coming into land -- on the grass where
we were parking planes!

Luckily (a) Cubs don't use much grass, and (b) we've got LOTS of it. The
guy apologized, explaining that he couldn't get the tires for his '37 J-2
anymore...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

May 21st 06, 05:21 PM
>Thankfully, no. We've got three big, wide runways, and enough grass to
>satisfy the Cubs and Stearmans. Field elevation: 668'.

Geez. my poor ol firebreather is in it nest right now at 7985' msl. <G>
I hope you guys have a great and safe weekend down there.

Ben
www.haaspowerair.com

Google