PDA

View Full Version : WOW!

Mitch
May 22nd 06, 01:00 PM
Check out this weekend in Moriarty, New Mexico on the OLC! Our "Good"
month is just coming up, too!

www.soarmoriatry.com

Daan Pare showed up four weeks ago with the intention of staying only a
few days. Four weeks later, and averaging around 800 K per flight he
has not left yet!

May 22nd 06, 02:08 PM
Yeah yeah yeah...come out to Illinois and try some manly XC - you guys
in NM get off tow higher than we get all day!

66
(just a little jealous)

Mitch
May 22nd 06, 02:29 PM
Whoops! I left an "R" out of the link. www.soarmoriarty.com

Talking to a couple of the guys who flew yesterday, they say that the
average thermal strength was around 12 knots. Kirk, I grew up flying
in Indiana! I know the story! :-)

Lew Hartswick
May 22nd 06, 03:05 PM
wrote:
> Yeah yeah yeah...come out to Illinois and try some manly XC - you guys
> in NM get off tow higher than we get all day!
>
> 66
> (just a little jealous)

Yea ground level here is about the hight you get. :-)
...lew...

May 22nd 06, 03:50 PM
wrote:
> Yeah yeah yeah...come out to Illinois and try some manly XC - you guys
> in NM get off tow higher than we get all day!
>
> 66
> (just a little jealous)

Kirk,

Why not plan a flying visit to Moriarty? There is lots to do in the
area for the non flyer in the family, and great soaring for the family
pilot.

Moriarty is not an imtimadating site. If you stay in the Estancia
valley the ground is pretty flat and there are lots of landout sites,
and it is a large area. A look at OLC traces will show very good
conditions in this area.

Robert Mudd
Moriarty, N.M

Herb
May 22nd 06, 04:13 PM
Kirk,

You and I must have been grinding around the same airmass yesterday -
me at the opposite 'side' of Illinois. Frustrating to come home after
a tough day of flying and all to show for are 105 miles at 43mph. 12
knots at Moriarty? Hey, we don't need no stinkin' thermals where we
fly!

Herb, J7 (Chicago Glider)

5Z
May 22nd 06, 05:07 PM
Visit the FAI scores on the OLC for Sunday to see where the REAL MEN
fly! Flying up and down a "short" cloudstreet is for wimps! :)

-Tom

May 22nd 06, 06:37 PM
I've been to Moriarty (picking up a friend's glider) but havn't flown
there yet - on my list of places to explore when I get back to AZ!

After 8 years flying out of Turf with the Agua Fria River Racers, I'm
somewhat familiar with western soaring conditions - got my diamond
altitude over the Grand Canyon in a thermal - so it's fun to see the
great flights being done out there. OLC is great!

Then again, it's also a lot of fun (read: character-building) to go XC
and spend most of the time below 3000' agl, too!

Kirk

Bill Daniels
May 23rd 06, 02:47 AM
"Mitch" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Whoops! I left an "R" out of the link. www.soarmoriarty.com
>
> Talking to a couple of the guys who flew yesterday, they say that the
> average thermal strength was around 12 knots. Kirk, I grew up flying
> in Indiana! I know the story! :-)

HOWEVER, the Ridge Soaring guys just took back the lead.

Bill Daniels

Google