PDA

View Full Version : Speed Astir Mods

Avron
May 22nd 06, 01:44 PM
Hi,

Are there any known modifications for Grob Speed Astir?
Like wings extentions or special added parts.

If so, what can you tell about it?

Thanks,
Avron Tal

Guy Acheson
May 22nd 06, 03:31 PM
I owned a Speed Astir for over ten years and there
is still a Speed Astir on our field. I know of no
modifications for the Speed Astir.

There was a readily available paper on where to place
turbulator strips on the TOP surface of the wings.
I found that use of the turbulators significantly
improved the low speed handling in rough thermals.
Without the turbulators there was a tendency for the
inside wing to drop when close to stall. After placement
of the turbulators the plane was very solid into the
stall.

Guy

Avron
May 22nd 06, 08:31 PM
In Mar 25 2006, Mark (Fish) wrote that he had winglets on his Speed.
I will apprishiate if he can give some info about it.

If someone has the measorments for the turbulators placement, plesae
send to "avron at galor dot com"

Avron Tal

Fish
May 22nd 06, 11:13 PM
Yes....We had Winglets on our Syndicate owned Speed. I believe they
were MASAK type.
The glider had no tendency to drop a wing when close or at stall in a
thermal. It handled great, climbed well and was quite good on glide.
The Speed Astir is the most performance /dollar you can buy in my
opinion.
The only negative about the aircraft is a tendency to drop a wing on
T.O if the pilot was not ready for it.
It lands like a feather with the flaps at full positive and appropriate
airbrake. The Flight manual makes a point about NOT landing with full
flap, full brake. This makes a lot of sense as the Speed really drops
out of the sky in this config at 60knots. It can be landed quite short.
We had no turbulator tape on top surface, only bottom.

have fun

Cheers
Mark

Google