PDA

View Full Version : Pinckneyville 2006 pics

Dylan Smith
May 22nd 06, 05:58 PM
Well, I made it to the Pincnkeyville rec.aviation.* get-together this
year. Once again, Mary's cooking was excellent, lasagne to die for,
lashings of good BBQ etc. I think the weather gods must have blinked too
- we actually had great weather all weekend, and the flight up from
Houston was probably the easiest weather ever for the fly-in (there was
still the front that lay across Arkansas - it's there EVERY YEAR for the
fly in weekend, but it had no significant weather associated with it and
it was severe VFR for the whole duration of the flight both coming and
going).

Many of the usual suspects made it to the fly-in, and this year as well
as the normal aviation maintenance event, there was some motorcycle
madness, and we built and test flew a homebuilt kit plane in under 1
hour on Sunday morning. (Well, it was a smaller scale quick build kit).

By Saturday night, many had pitched in a donation into the Bucket of
Beer Bottles and we had a fantastic selection of microbrewed beers and
Real Ales.

Photos are at:
http://www.alioth.net/pics/Pinckneyville-2006/Pinckneyville-2006.html

Bob Chilcoat
May 22nd 06, 08:12 PM
Nice pics, Dylan. Wish I could have been there. Thanks for publishing
them.

"Dylan Smith" > wrote in message
> Well, I made it to the Pincnkeyville rec.aviation.* get-together this
> year. Once again, Mary's cooking was excellent, lasagne to die for,
> lashings of good BBQ etc. I think the weather gods must have blinked too
> - we actually had great weather all weekend, and the flight up from
> Houston was probably the easiest weather ever for the fly-in (there was
> still the front that lay across Arkansas - it's there EVERY YEAR for the
> fly in weekend, but it had no significant weather associated with it and
> it was severe VFR for the whole duration of the flight both coming and
> going).
>
> Many of the usual suspects made it to the fly-in, and this year as well
> as the normal aviation maintenance event, there was some motorcycle
> madness, and we built and test flew a homebuilt kit plane in under 1
> hour on Sunday morning. (Well, it was a smaller scale quick build kit).
>
> By Saturday night, many had pitched in a donation into the Bucket of
> Beer Bottles and we had a fantastic selection of microbrewed beers and
> Real Ales.
>
> Photos are at:
> http://www.alioth.net/pics/Pinckneyville-2006/Pinckneyville-2006.html
>
> --
> Yes, the Reply-To email address is valid.
> Oolite-Linux: an Elite tribute: http://oolite-linux.berlios.de

Morgans
May 22nd 06, 09:09 PM
"Dylan Smith" > wrote

> Photos are at:
> http://www.alioth.net/pics/Pinckneyville-2006/Pinckneyville-2006.html

What is the plane shown right after the tent being safety wired?
--
Jim in NC

Rich Ahrens
May 22nd 06, 10:06 PM
Morgans wrote:

> "Dylan Smith" > wrote
>
>>Photos are at:
>>http://www.alioth.net/pics/Pinckneyville-2006/Pinckneyville-2006.html
>

> What is the plane shown right after the tent being safety wired?

A KR-2. I think the builder is the host of this nearby event:

http://www.fly-kr.com/

Mark Morissette
May 22nd 06, 10:27 PM
I can now say (thanks to Paul's invite) that I too am officially a member of
the Ilk!

It was indeed a fun weekend, and the flight down and back from Rochester was
an adventure in itself, at least for a 6-month post checkride newbie like
myself. :-)

I've got a Pinckneyville photo gallery up as well with about 110 pictures.

http://pinckneyville.oshawapilot.ca

And the beginnings of my blog entries on the experience can be found at the
link in my siggy.

It was nice meeting everyone! Although I primarilly lurk here in the
rec.aviation heirarchy, I was finally able to put some names to faces.

And the food was to die for. I *must* learn to cook ribs like that.

--
Regards, Mark.
http://www.oshawapilot.ca

Morgans
May 22nd 06, 10:38 PM
"Rich Ahrens" > wrote in message

> A KR-2. I think the builder is the host of this nearby event:
>
> http://www.fly-kr.com/

Thanks.

In the web site, it said that there are some Corvair KR-planes that will be
there. I wonder if they have the new protection against the broken cranks.
--
Jim in NC

Jay Honeck
May 23rd 06, 02:11 PM
> Photos are at:
> http://www.alioth.net/pics/Pinckneyville-2006/Pinckneyville-2006.html

Thanks for the pix, Dylan.

I still am incredulous that we have NEVER made it to Pinckneyville. Every
year, something gets in the way. The closest we've come was last year, when
we were turned back by thunderstorms. Then, this year, the Big Kids Toy
Show...

Next year, for sure!

(I think I said that in '98, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, and, now,
'06...)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Dan Luke
May 23rd 06, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the pic's, Dylan. Hated to miss it this year.

--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM

Gig 601XL Builder
May 23rd 06, 08:50 PM
"Morgans" > wrote in message

> "Rich Ahrens" > wrote in message
>>
>> A KR-2. I think the builder is the host of this nearby event:
>>
>> http://www.fly-kr.com/
>
> Thanks.
>
> In the web site, it said that there are some Corvair KR-planes that will
> be there. I wonder if they have the new protection against the broken
> cranks.
> --
> Jim in NC

Yep they do.

http://flycorvair.com/crankissues.html

Jim Burns
May 23rd 06, 09:49 PM
"Longworth" > wrote in message
>"It was a short ride to his home in Lowell.<

Small world.... they guy I stole my wife from lives in Lowell, we still
visit him and his family. I thank him and he thanks me.

My inlaws live just down the road at Hastings, so we fly into 9D9.

Jim

Montblack
May 24th 06, 12:51 AM
("Dylan Smith" wrote)
> Well, I made it to the Pincnkeyville rec.aviation.* get-together this
> year. Once again, Mary's cooking was excellent, lasagne to die for,
> lashings of good BBQ etc.

> Photos are at:
> <http://www.alioth.net/pics/Pinckneyville-2006/Pinckneyville-2006.html>

<http://www.alioth.net/pics/Pinckneyville-2006/Pinckneyville-2006.html>
I can't tell from the photo if you're driving down the right side, or the
left side, of the paractice area. <g>

Paul

Paul Tomblin
May 24th 06, 02:52 AM
In a previous article, said:
>Photos are at:
>http://www.alioth.net/pics/Pinckneyville-2006/Pinckneyville-2006.html

I've put some photos of my own at
http://xcski.com/gallery/v/paulart/pinckneyville2006/

--
Paul Tomblin > http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Once we've got the bugs ironed out, we'll be running on flat bugs

Stella Starr
May 24th 06, 04:57 AM
We missed you, dear.
But we ate your barbecue!

Dan Luke wrote:
> Thanks for the pic's, Dylan. Hated to miss it this year.

Montblack
May 24th 06, 06:29 AM
("Paul Tomblin" wrote)
> I've put some photos of my own at
> http://xcski.com/gallery/v/paulart/pinckneyville2006/

Nice pics.

One small nit: Both planes are "Ercoupes."
1947 415-C/D
1946 415-C.

http://www.ercoupe.org/ercoupers_faq.htm
"What are the different models?"
(Scroll down to the table)

Montblack

Dan Luke
May 24th 06, 12:42 PM
"Stella Starr" wrote:

> We missed you, dear.
> But we ate your barbecue!

I new I could depend on my buddies to take care of business for me.

See you next year!

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Paul Tomblin
May 24th 06, 12:46 PM
In a previous article, "Montblack" > said:
>("Paul Tomblin" wrote)
>> I've put some photos of my own at
>> http://xcski.com/gallery/v/paulart/pinckneyville2006/
>

>Nice pics.

Thanks.

>One small nit: Both planes are "Ercoupes."
>1947 415-C/D
>1946 415-C.
>
>http://www.ercoupe.org/ercoupers_faq.htm
>"What are the different models?"

I never knew that. I thought they'd always been Aircoupes.

--
Paul Tomblin > http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Every nonzero finite dimensional inner product space has an orthonormal basis.

It makes sense, when you don't think about it.

Montblack
May 25th 06, 05:11 PM
("Paul Tomblin" wrote)
>> http://www.ercoupe.org/ercoupers_faq.htm
>>"What are the different models?"
>
> I never knew that. I thought they'd always been Aircoupes.

http://www.ercoupe.net/PhotoAlbum.html
Here's a good photo site of many Ercoupes ...and Aircoupes. They're listed
by N-Number.

1939-1941 ...They'll be Ercoupes ...A-B.
1946-1950 ...They'll be Ercoupes ...C, D, CD, E, E/G
1958-1968 ...They'll be Aircoupes.
1969-1970 ...They were Mooney ....M-10 Cadets.

Some M-10 Cadets received (a single) classic Mooney straight tail. The
Horror! The Horror!

[http://www.ercoupe.net/PhotoAlbum.html worked best (for me) in M$ IE 6.0.
The N-Number planes I'd already seen didn't stay highlighted in Firefox. The
"upgraded" Firefox (1.05.03) fixed that issue, and now works fine with this
site.]

Montblack

Journeyman
May 27th 06, 04:49 AM
In article . com>, Longworth wrote:

> Thank you for the photos. We would have been there if it wasn't
> for the awful weather. Morris had a lot more experience and was a lot
> braver than us to head to Pinckneyville from NY.

Whoa! I am anything but brave when it comes to weather. The term fowl
fecal matter comes to mind. That's why I still find Michael's "fly until
you can't, then land" meme to be so powerful. It has let me take (and
usually but not always) complete trips that I might not otherwise have
attempted.

We wound up leaving Saturday after spending much of the day on Friday
hanging out at the airport. We couldn't even launch. Ice belongs in
drinks. Someone else from the NY area did make it on Friday, but wound
up picking up ice. He dealt with it, but I'm just as glad I didn't
have to.

The trip itself was in good VMC weather, except when we landed out about
an hour from P'Ville at Owensboro, KY (OWB). We hung out for an hour
considering the radar picture, then pressed on. It was a long trip,
battling headwinds all the way. I haven't added up the time yet, but I
think it was a couple more flight hours than last time we went, plus
the extra stop.

We arrived after 8pm Central Time on Saturday and missed the half the
party, but at least we were able to attend the other half. That tent
Tina repaired with safety wire was a loner for us.

We made P'Ville the first day of our annual long trip and stopped at
Denver to have dinner with Blanche. Next day, we left late and decided
to stop early to overnight at Chyenne, WY rather than braving the mountain
winds in the hot afternoon (I can spell "density altitude" at least two
out of three times). Again a short leg, but at least we made forward
progress.

BTW, the entire trip out wound up being VMC and we never got our teeth
rattled too badly. :-)

Morris
(there are old pilots and bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots)

Journeyman
May 30th 06, 04:08 AM
In article >, Dylan Smith wrote:
> Well, I made it to the Pincnkeyville rec.aviation.* get-together this
> year.

A fun time was had by all, even if we missed half the party.

It was great to finally meet you. Guess I'll have to finally forgive
you for this:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.aviation.student/browse_thread/thread/a9ec7b4c4c4f1324/35aaceb2c63006a8?lnk=st&q=wreckage+group%3Arec.aviation.*+author%3ADylan+a uthor%3ASmith&rnum=2&hl=en#35aaceb2c63006a8

Morris

Google