PDA

View Full Version : Rentals in Rochester/NY area?

Tobias Schnell
May 26th 06, 10:17 PM
Hi,

a business trip in fall will take me to Rochester/NY and I will
probably have at least two weekends to do some flying.

Any recommendations on where to rent a Skyhawk/Archer-class airplane,
preferrably IFR-equipped, in the area? My research on Airnav did not
bring up too many results, but perhaps there are some locals in this
group who will chime in.

Many thanks...

Tobias

Peter R.
May 26th 06, 10:33 PM
Tobias Schnell > wrote:

> Any recommendations on where to rent a Skyhawk/Archer-class airplane,
> preferrably IFR-equipped, in the area? My research on Airnav did not
> bring up too many results, but perhaps there are some locals in this
> group who will chime in.

There is a regular in this group from Rochester. Until he chimes in, I
will provide you with what information I have as a resident of a nearby
city.

I called both of the FBOs at the Rochester International Airport (KROC) and
both told me that they do not rent aircraft. However, there are two
separate flight schools on the field that may. I tried to call both and
received answering machines both times, so I couldn't get any more
information. Here are their phone numbers, since someone will most likely
be there over the weekend:

585-328-8839
585-235-5010

If you do get an aircraft, I recommend a scenic flight over the Finger
Lakes, which are about 30 nm due southeast from the ROC (Rochester
International airport), a scenic flight over Letchworth State Park, which
is a river-cut 1,000 foot gorge just 20 nm southwest of ROC, or a scenic
over the Niagara Falls, 45 nm west.

Niagara Falls has an overflight procedure with a minimum altitude
requirement (no flight below 3,500 feet), but the procedure is pretty
simple. There is a discreet frequency to broadcast your position
periodically. If you want more information, I can scan both the overflight
procedure graphic and text and email it to you. Let me know here.

--
Peter

Tobias Schnell
May 27th 06, 12:12 AM
On Fri, 26 May 2006 17:33:31 -0400, "Peter R." >
wrote:

>I called both of the FBOs at the Rochester International Airport (KROC) and
>both told me that they do not rent aircraft.

That's what Airnav says, too. Somewhat strange, isn't it? Admittedly,
my flying experience in the US is limited to CA and AZ, but on
virtually every airport I have visited, there was at least one rental
outfit. And ROC doesn't look that small.

I have found "Big Fella Enterprises" at Ledgedale Airpark (7G0),
which, according to Airnav, rent planes, but their website only
mentions flight training.

>However, there are two
>separate flight schools on the field that may. I tried to call both and
>received answering machines both times, so I couldn't get any more
>information. Here are their phone numbers, since someone will most likely
>be there over the weekend:

Thanks, I will give them a try.

>If you do get an aircraft, I recommend a scenic flight over the Finger
>Lakes, which are about 30 nm due southeast from the ROC (Rochester
>International airport), a scenic flight over Letchworth State Park, which
>is a river-cut 1,000 foot gorge just 20 nm southwest of ROC, or a scenic
>over the Niagara Falls, 45 nm west.

Sounds good. Now the only thing I need is an airplane, but in any case
it's just a matter how far one is willing to drive ;-).

>Niagara Falls has an overflight procedure with a minimum altitude
>requirement (no flight below 3,500 feet), but the procedure is pretty
>simple. There is a discreet frequency to broadcast your position
>periodically. If you want more information, I can scan both the overflight
>procedure graphic and text and email it to you. Let me know here.

If it's not too much work for you, I'd surely appreciate that.

Thanks for your information...

Tobias

Peter R.
May 27th 06, 01:26 AM
Tobias Schnell > wrote:

> If it's not too much work for you, I'd surely appreciate that.
>
> Thanks for your information...

No problem at all. Assuming your email address in your post is valid, I
will have a PDF file with the procedures to you shortly. Let me know here
if you didn't receive them.

--
Peter

Paul Tomblin
May 27th 06, 02:04 AM
In a previous article, Tobias Schnell > said:
>Any recommendations on where to rent a Skyhawk/Archer-class airplane,
>preferrably IFR-equipped, in the area? My research on Airnav did not
>bring up too many results, but perhaps there are some locals in this
>group who will chime in.

There are two, but they aren't the listed FBOs - the FBOs sell fuel and
services to jets, and Rochester Air Center and Airventure Aviation are
flight schools that rent light planes, sell you charts, all that stuff.

http://www.rochesterair.com/
http://www.airventureaviation.net/

I'll second Peter's recommendations of the Finger Lakes, Letchworth
Canyon, and especially Niagara Falls. Unfortunately I just bought a new
GPS and wiped my old one, so I can't give you the coordinates of the
railway trestle at the south end of Letchworth - it's between a couple of
falls, and it's really the scenic highlight of the park. On your way
there, another cool sight is the wind farm near Perry NY. Just don't
loiter over it, or you'll attract the attention of the TSA.

I don't know if it's still there, but there used to be a pretty decent
aviation museum at Elmira airport (KELM).

--
Paul Tomblin > http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"You can get anything you want on Alice's NNTP server."

Matt Whiting
May 27th 06, 03:49 AM
Paul Tomblin wrote:

> In a previous article, Tobias Schnell > said:
>
>>Any recommendations on where to rent a Skyhawk/Archer-class airplane,
>>preferrably IFR-equipped, in the area? My research on Airnav did not
>>bring up too many results, but perhaps there are some locals in this
>>group who will chime in.
>

> There are two, but they aren't the listed FBOs - the FBOs sell fuel and
> services to jets, and Rochester Air Center and Airventure Aviation are
> flight schools that rent light planes, sell you charts, all that stuff.
>
> http://www.rochesterair.com/
> http://www.airventureaviation.net/
>
> I'll second Peter's recommendations of the Finger Lakes, Letchworth
> Canyon, and especially Niagara Falls. Unfortunately I just bought a new
> GPS and wiped my old one, so I can't give you the coordinates of the
> railway trestle at the south end of Letchworth - it's between a couple of
> falls, and it's really the scenic highlight of the park. On your way
> there, another cool sight is the wind farm near Perry NY. Just don't
> loiter over it, or you'll attract the attention of the TSA.
>
> I don't know if it's still there, but there used to be a pretty decent
> aviation museum at Elmira airport (KELM).

Yes, it is back in operation after a brush with bankruptcy a couple of
years ago.

http://www.warplane.org/

Matt

Google