PDA

View Full Version : Locate airports by radius from a given airport

Matt Whiting
May 27th 06, 01:35 AM
Does anyone know of a good way to locate airports that are 200 miles or
more from a given airport? I realize a large planning chart with a
circle drawn would be easy, but I don't have one of those handy. I need
to plan a 200 mile cross country for my commercial day/night long cross
country and want to look for airports at least 200, but less than say
300 miles from KELM. I figure someone somewhere knows of software which
will do this, but I'm not away of any.

Matt

Roy Smith
May 27th 06, 01:51 AM
In article >,
Matt Whiting > wrote:

> Does anyone know of a good way to locate airports that are 200 miles or
> more from a given airport? I realize a large planning chart with a
> circle drawn would be easy, but I don't have one of those handy. I need
> to plan a 200 mile cross country for my commercial day/night long cross
> country and want to look for airports at least 200, but less than say
> 300 miles from KELM. I figure someone somewhere knows of software which
> will do this, but I'm not away of any.
>

> Matt

Quickie cheating way is to log into DUATS and ask for a defined radius
briefing around your origin, asking for TAF's. You'll get a list of all
the airports with TAF's. Of course, drawing a circle on a WAC chart is not
only more traditional, but probably a lot more fun.

My commercial X/C was White Plains to Key West in a 172 (no A/P).

FLAV8R
May 27th 06, 01:52 AM
"> Does anyone know of a good way to locate airports that are 200 miles or
> more from a given airport? I realize a large planning chart with a circle
> drawn would be easy, but I don't have one of those handy. I need to plan
> a 200 mile cross country for my commercial day/night long cross country
> and want to look for airports at least 200, but less than say 300 miles
> from KELM. I figure someone somewhere knows of software which will do
> this, but I'm not away of any.
>

> Matt
Are you an AOPA member?
Their flight planner will give you distance.
Do you have a few old sectionals sitting around?
My old flight school had old sectionals on the walls
with a string marking mileage to quickly figure out
a radius from our airfield.

David

Matt Whiting
May 27th 06, 03:40 AM
B A R R Y wrote:

> On Sat, 27 May 2006 00:35:09 GMT, Matt Whiting >
> wrote:
>

>>Does anyone know of a good way to locate airports that are 200 miles or
>>more from a given airport? I realize a large planning chart with a
>>circle drawn would be easy, but I don't have one of those handy. I need
>>to plan a 200 mile cross country for my commercial day/night long cross
>>country and want to look for airports at least 200, but less than say
>>300 miles from KELM. I figure someone somewhere knows of software which
>>will do this, but I'm not away of any.
>

> You can't spend $8 on a WAC chart? <G> Your school or FBO doesn't
> have one on the wall that you can use for free?

Yes, and yes. However, I was going to do the flight planning tomorrow
and I can't get a WAC that quickly (the "local" FBO doesn't stock them)
and the FBO is 35 miles away and I'd rather not drive 70 miles with gas
prices at $3/gallon if I don't have to.

> Maybe you can get an expired WC for free and use airnav.com to plan
> the flight.

Planning the flight is easy, I use DUATS for that. It is picking the
destination that I was trying to automate a little.

Matt

Matt Whiting
May 27th 06, 03:42 AM
Roy Smith wrote:

> In article >,
> Matt Whiting > wrote:
>

>>Does anyone know of a good way to locate airports that are 200 miles or
>>more from a given airport? I realize a large planning chart with a
>>circle drawn would be easy, but I don't have one of those handy. I need
>>to plan a 200 mile cross country for my commercial day/night long cross
>>country and want to look for airports at least 200, but less than say
>>300 miles from KELM. I figure someone somewhere knows of software which
>>will do this, but I'm not away of any.
>>

>>Matt
>

> Quickie cheating way is to log into DUATS and ask for a defined radius
> briefing around your origin, asking for TAF's. You'll get a list of all
> the airports with TAF's. Of course, drawing a circle on a WAC chart is not
> only more traditional, but probably a lot more fun.

That may be a clever way to do it. Yes, and if I had a WAC on hand I
would do it that way.

> My commercial X/C was White Plains to Key West in a 172 (no A/P).

I guess you got the 200 miles easy enough! :-) I think you are located
about 200 miles from ELM, any airports you'd recommend that have a
decent restaurant? The plan is to fly out late in the day, spend some
time chowing down while the sun sets and then fly back for the night 200
miles.

Matt

ET
May 27th 06, 03:57 AM
Matt Whiting > wrote in
:

All the charts: www.skyvector.com

--
-- ET >:-)

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams

Andrew Sarangan
May 27th 06, 06:19 AM
Airnav has a feature where you can search airports between two
user-specified radii. However, the maximum radius appears to be 200NM.
So, you can search airports between 100NM and 200NM.

Matt Whiting wrote:
> Does anyone know of a good way to locate airports that are 200 miles or
> more from a given airport? I realize a large planning chart with a
> circle drawn would be easy, but I don't have one of those handy. I need
> to plan a 200 mile cross country for my commercial day/night long cross
> country and want to look for airports at least 200, but less than say
> 300 miles from KELM. I figure someone somewhere knows of software which
> will do this, but I'm not away of any.
>

> Matt

May 27th 06, 10:17 AM
Google Earth will show airports.
-jim

Steve Foley
May 27th 06, 11:23 AM
Find a database of airports, including lat/lon coordinates. Load them into
Excel.

Find a formula to calculate distance between 2 points.

Put a column into the spreadsheet with the calculated distance from your
airport.

Sort by distance.

"Matt Whiting" > wrote in message

> Does anyone know of a good way to locate airports that are 200 miles or
> more from a given airport? I realize a large planning chart with a circle
> drawn would be easy, but I don't have one of those handy. I need to plan
> a 200 mile cross country for my commercial day/night long cross country
> and want to look for airports at least 200, but less than say 300 miles
> from KELM. I figure someone somewhere knows of software which will do
> this, but I'm not away of any.
>

> Matt

Matt Whiting
May 27th 06, 01:59 PM
Andrew Sarangan wrote:

> Airnav has a feature where you can search airports between two
> user-specified radii. However, the maximum radius appears to be 200NM.
> So, you can search airports between 100NM and 200NM.

That's unfortunate as it sounds like exactly what I was looking for. A
way to sort airports by distance so I could look for ones with the
facilities I was after, namely a decent restaurant in this case.

Thanks,
Matt

Steven P. McNicoll
May 27th 06, 02:03 PM
"Matt Whiting" > wrote in message

> Does anyone know of a good way to locate airports that are 200 miles or
> more from a given airport? I realize a large planning chart with a circle
> drawn would be easy, but I don't have one of those handy. I need to plan
> a 200 mile cross country for my commercial day/night long cross country
> and want to look for airports at least 200, but less than say 300 miles
> from KELM. I figure someone somewhere knows of software which will do
> this, but I'm not away of any.

AeroPlanner.com

http://makeashorterlink.com/?I31E25C2D

Matt Whiting
May 27th 06, 02:06 PM
Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
> "Matt Whiting" > wrote in message
>
>>Does anyone know of a good way to locate airports that are 200 miles or
>>more from a given airport? I realize a large planning chart with a circle
>>drawn would be easy, but I don't have one of those handy. I need to plan
>>a 200 mile cross country for my commercial day/night long cross country
>>and want to look for airports at least 200, but less than say 300 miles
>>from KELM. I figure someone somewhere knows of software which will do
>>this, but I'm not away of any.
>>

> AeroPlanner.com
>
> http://makeashorterlink.com/?I31E25C2D

Bingo! Thanks, Steven.

Matt

Roy Smith
May 27th 06, 03:38 PM
In article >,
Matt Whiting > wrote:

> I think you are located about 200 miles from ELM, any airports you'd
> recommend that have a decent restaurant? The plan is to fly out late in
> the day, spend some time chowing down while the sun sets and then fly
> back for the night 200 miles.

Starting about 50 miles SW of HPN, Sky Manor (Pittstown, NJ) has a nice
restaurant. Added bonuses are the collection of tropical birds in cages
outside (at least during the summer), and some guy on the field has
imported a couple of Russian twin-engine seaplanes that he's trying to fix
up; they're on the ramp so you can gawk at them (I think they made the
cover of AOPA Pilot a while ago).

A little closer, in northern NJ, Lincoln Park, Blairstown, and Greenwood
lake all have small restaurants on the field. I use all of them on a
semi-regular basis for BFRs (fly there, do the ground work over lunch, then
fly back). Of the bunch, I think Lincoln Park is the nicest, if you were
looking for real food. Not sure I would recommend Lincoln Park for a night
departure if you're unfamiliar with the airport; small runway, complicated
airspace, and close-in terrain.

Sky Acres (Millbrook, NY) has another nice little restaurant, overlooking
the runway (another good BFR destination). The word around my flying club
is that the new restaurant in Orange County, NY is pretty good, but I
haven't been there myself yet.

Dutchess County used to have a place called the Woronock House that was
excellent; it's since changed hands and I don't like the food as much.
Park at the BP pumps, and you can walk to a gate in the fence which leads
to the restaurant. These days, I suspect you need an escort from the
airport to get through the gate. As you might suspect from my lack of
familiarity with the current procedures, I don't frequent that much any
more (like I said, the food isn't as good as it used to be).

A really class act is Columbia County. Walk to a gate in the fence at the
north-west corner of the airport and there's an excellent restaurant. They
do a nice lunch buffet (maybe just on weekends?), and have a full menu. Of
all the places I've mentioned, this is the best, food-wise. No runway
view, however.

On all of these, I really only know about lunch. Some may not even be open
for dinner. Best call ahead.

Roy Smith
May 27th 06, 04:04 PM
Matt Whiting > wrote:

> > You can't spend $8 on a WAC chart? <G> Your school or FBO doesn't
> > have one on the wall that you can use for free?
>
> Yes, and yes. However, I was going to do the flight planning tomorrow
> and I can't get a WAC that quickly (the "local" FBO doesn't stock them)
> and the FBO is 35 miles away and I'd rather not drive 70 miles with gas
> prices at $3/gallon if I don't have to.

Maybe I'm being a little silly here, but I'm thinking a commercial pilot
should be up to a higher level of flight planning. Your boss is going to
say, "I need to be in XYZ for a 9:00 AM meeting; get me there". It's your
job to figure out a good airport that's close to XYZ, has approaches
appropriate for the weather, all needed services available, ground
transport arranged for, and worked into the schedule, etc. Nowhere in that
scenario does "the dog ate my chart" seem like a useful thing to say.

Of course, the PTS doesn't require any of this, it's just the way my
instructor treated me when I was training for the commercial. He wanted to
see me thinking and acting like a commercial pilot, not just learning how
to fly a bunch of silly maneuvers and do a slightly-warmed over repeat of a
private pilot X/C.

All that being said, you can find on-line sectionals at
http://skyvector.com/

PS, I've only trained one person for the Commercial, and for the X/C we
decided to fly to Montreal. I figured learning how to deal with
international flight plans and customs was appropriate for a commercial
pilot. We blew a lot of money on dinner (and the cab rides into Old Town
Montreal), but the meal we had sure beat the heck out of any airport coffee
shop I've ever eaten in. We flew VFR both ways, and my student's flight
planning was excellent. At one point, we were over a broken deck, and were
spotting landmarks through holes in the clouds dead-on when his flight log
said we should. We flew back at night, and by that time it was crystal
clear. In the wilds of upstate NY, we were seeing airport beacons 50 miles
out. The entire trip, both ways, was done 100% pilotage and DR. We almost
didn't find ALB, and were just getting ready to break down and tune in the
VOR when we spotted the airport and managed to save the shutout.

FLAV8R
May 27th 06, 05:15 PM
> AeroPlanner.com
>
> http://makeashorterlink.com/?I31E25C2D

Excellent....

David

RST Engineering
May 27th 06, 05:56 PM
I just looked for that feature, Andrew, and couldn't find it. Could you
give us a little more detail on where it is?

Jim

"Andrew Sarangan" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Airnav has a feature where you can search airports between two
> user-specified radii. However, the maximum radius appears to be 200NM.
> So, you can search airports between 100NM and 200NM.

Jim Macklin
May 27th 06, 06:09 PM
Google maps... looks like Minneapolis, Omaha are too far.
There is a distance calculator
at http://www.airnav.com/airport/KLEM

"Matt Whiting" > wrote in message

| Does anyone know of a good way to locate airports that are
200 miles or
| more from a given airport? I realize a large planning
chart with a
| circle drawn would be easy, but I don't have one of those
handy. I need
| to plan a 200 mile cross country for my commercial
day/night long cross
| country and want to look for airports at least 200, but
less than say
| 300 miles from KELM. I figure someone somewhere knows of
software which
| will do this, but I'm not away of any.
|

| Matt

Peter Duniho
May 27th 06, 06:22 PM
"RST Engineering" > wrote in message
>I just looked for that feature, Andrew, and couldn't find it. Could you
>give us a little more detail on where it is?

You can use the full form at:
http://www.airnav.com/airports/search.html
That's the form you get if you click on the "Advanced Search" button on the
"Airports" page.

Interestingly, the range options don't update when you change the units (km,
nm, or sm). Of course, that doesn't help here, since a nautical mile is the
longest unit available. But it means people wanting to work in km (for
example) are getting short-changed. :)

There's a shorter version here where you can enter the distances as text,
rather than picking from a list:
http://www.airnav.com/cgi-bin/airport-search

Unfortunately, the range limit isn't just in the form UI itself; it appears
that the CGI script enforces it too. If you enter a distance more than
200NM, a form comes back to get you to enter the distance again. I'm
guessing they do this in order to limit the work the database has to do (as
the range goes up, the number of potential hits goes up dramatically).

It is kind of ironic, given the regulatory requirement for a 200NM leg, that
200NM would be the upper bound for their search. :) I suspect there's a
chance that if someone sent them some email and explained why 300 or 400 NM
might be more useful to people doing the cross-country selection for a pilot
certificate, they might increase the limit.

Now, all that said...

I did a 100-200NM search from my home airport, and even with the shorter
distance, 86 airports showed up. Limiting that to paved airports with fuel
cut that in half, but it's still clear that a 200-300NM search (covering an
area almost twice as great) is going to produce a very large number of
choices. I'd say that a pure radius-based search may not really be as
useful as one might hope...it's better to start with at least an idea of a
general direction or destination, and using a chart makes this sort of
search easy.

As for the the WAC not being available...I'm not sure why the WAC was
mentioned specifically. All of my certificate-requirement
long-cross-country flights were doable on a single sectional. Even if one
doesn't have a WAC handy (and frankly, this is a good example of why you
ought to buy one at least once...they can be very useful), the sectional
chart that every pilot ought to have handy should be sufficient.

Pete

Matt Whiting
May 27th 06, 08:54 PM
Roy Smith wrote:

> Matt Whiting > wrote:
>

>>>You can't spend $8 on a WAC chart? <G> Your school or FBO doesn't
>>>have one on the wall that you can use for free?
>>
>>Yes, and yes. However, I was going to do the flight planning tomorrow
>>and I can't get a WAC that quickly (the "local" FBO doesn't stock them)
>>and the FBO is 35 miles away and I'd rather not drive 70 miles with gas
>>prices at $3/gallon if I don't have to.
>

> Maybe I'm being a little silly here, but I'm thinking a commercial pilot
> should be up to a higher level of flight planning. Your boss is going to
> say, "I need to be in XYZ for a 9:00 AM meeting; get me there". It's your
> job to figure out a good airport that's close to XYZ, has approaches
> appropriate for the weather, all needed services available, ground
> transport arranged for, and worked into the schedule, etc. Nowhere in that
> scenario does "the dog ate my chart" seem like a useful thing to say.

I don't disagree, but there are two reasons I'm not too worried about it
at present.

1. I just learned I would be able to get next week off on vacation and
am trying to get my commercial flight training accelerated into next
week as much as possible as I'm taking a masters program and have only
one week between semesters. I wasn't planning to fly next week until a
couple of days ago.

2. I have no plans to ever actually fly commercially (I make way more
than almost any commercial pilot as an engineering manager). I'm
getting the license purely for the challenge and to have an excuse to
fly and train. So, I'm probably not "thinking commercially" because I
have no plans to fly commercially.

Matt

Matt Whiting
May 27th 06, 08:55 PM
RST Engineering wrote:

> I just looked for that feature, Andrew, and couldn't find it. Could you
> give us a little more detail on where it is?
>
> Jim
>

> "Andrew Sarangan" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>>Airnav has a feature where you can search airports between two
>>user-specified radii. However, the maximum radius appears to be 200NM.
>>So, you can search airports between 100NM and 200NM.

Check out the link to aeroplanner than Steven posted. Looks to be much
better than Airnav in this regard at least.

Matt

Jim Macklin
May 27th 06, 09:19 PM
Pick some places you'd like to visit and then see if they
are far enough away. The minimum distances are just that,
minimums. You could go to Oshkosh, straight line and then
come back by a different route. There are good restaurants
on/near many airports. But there also are other
attractions. West Yellowstone is a gateway to Yellowstone
National Park, Glacier National Park, don't miss an
adventure because it is a few miles further away.

"Matt Whiting" > wrote in message
| Roy Smith wrote:

or FBO doesn't

| >>Yes, and yes. However, I was going to do the flight
planning tomorrow
| >>and I can't get a WAC that quickly (the "local" FBO
doesn't stock them)
| >>and the FBO is 35 miles away and I'd rather not drive 70
miles with gas
| >>prices at $3/gallon if I don't have to.
| >

| > Maybe I'm being a little silly here, but I'm thinking a
commercial pilot
| > should be up to a higher level of flight planning. Your
boss is going to
| > say, "I need to be in XYZ for a 9:00 AM meeting; get me
there". It's your
| > job to figure out a good airport that's close to XYZ,
has approaches
| > appropriate for the weather, all needed services
available, ground
| > transport arranged for, and worked into the schedule,
etc. Nowhere in that
| > scenario does "the dog ate my chart" seem like a useful
thing to say.

| I don't disagree, but there are two reasons I'm not too
worried about it
| at present.
|
| 1. I just learned I would be able to get next week off on
vacation and
| am trying to get my commercial flight training accelerated
into next
| week as much as possible as I'm taking a masters program
and have only
| one week between semesters. I wasn't planning to fly next
week until a
| couple of days ago.
|
| 2. I have no plans to ever actually fly commercially (I
make way more
| than almost any commercial pilot as an engineering
manager). I'm
| getting the license purely for the challenge and to have
an excuse to
| fly and train. So, I'm probably not "thinking
commercially" because I
| have no plans to fly commercially.
|

| Matt

Matt Whiting
May 27th 06, 09:27 PM
Jim Macklin wrote:
> Pick some places you'd like to visit and then see if they
> are far enough away. The minimum distances are just that,
> minimums. You could go to Oshkosh, straight line and then
> come back by a different route. There are good restaurants
> on/near many airports. But there also are other
> attractions. West Yellowstone is a gateway to Yellowstone
> National Park, Glacier National Park, don't miss an
> adventure because it is a few miles further away.

I agree with your philosophy, but I simply don't have time for a really
long cross-country. I'm working full-time, going to graduate school
nearly full-time and still trying to get the commercial finished before
my written expires in December. I may have to bit the bullet and retake
the written once my masters is finished in 2007, but I'm hoping to avoid
that.

Matt

Newps
May 27th 06, 11:27 PM
Jim Macklin wrote:

> Pick some places you'd like to visit and then see if they
> are far enough away. The minimum distances are just that,
> minimums. You could go to Oshkosh, straight line and then
> come back by a different route. There are good restaurants
> on/near many airports. But there also are other
> attractions. West Yellowstone is a gateway to Yellowstone
> National Park, Glacier National Park, don't miss an
> adventure because it is a few miles further away.

Uh, don't fly to WYS and think it's a gateway to Glacier. You're an
eight hour drive from Glacier when you leave the parking lot at WYS. If
you're going to Glacier you want Kalispell City or Kalispell on the west
side or Cut Bank on the east side.

Jim Macklin
May 28th 06, 12:20 AM
I took most of my writtens several times before I had the
money to get the hours. Never busted a written, but back in
my day they were actually "free" on paper at the FSDO. I
took all the fixed wing writtens, about the time I got my
private, CFI,CFII, Comm., IFR,FOI,Ground Basic and
Instrument [that got me the CGIA&I].
But an 8 hour day will get you 1,000 NM, which makes your
radius of action about 500 NM. Part 135 duty day is 13
hours, so you can even fly eight hours and have plenty of
time for a meal and fuel stops.

"Matt Whiting" > wrote in message
| Jim Macklin wrote:
| > Pick some places you'd like to visit and then see if
they
| > are far enough away. The minimum distances are just
that,
| > minimums. You could go to Oshkosh, straight line and
then
| > come back by a different route. There are good
restaurants
| > on/near many airports. But there also are other
| > attractions. West Yellowstone is a gateway to
Yellowstone
| > National Park, Glacier National Park, don't miss an
| > adventure because it is a few miles further away.
|
| I agree with your philosophy, but I simply don't have time
for a really
| long cross-country. I'm working full-time, going to
graduate school
| nearly full-time and still trying to get the commercial
finished before
| my written expires in December. I may have to bit the
bullet and retake
| the written once my masters is finished in 2007, but I'm
hoping to avoid
| that.
|

| Matt

Jim Macklin
May 28th 06, 12:22 AM
Poor writing style, didn't mean to say WYS for Glacier, but
I didn't take the time to proper say so. Thanks for the
correction.

"Newps" > wrote in message

| Jim Macklin wrote:
|
| > Pick some places you'd like to visit and then see if
they
| > are far enough away. The minimum distances are just
that,
| > minimums. You could go to Oshkosh, straight line and
then
| > come back by a different route. There are good
restaurants
| > on/near many airports. But there also are other
| > attractions. West Yellowstone is a gateway to
Yellowstone
| > National Park, Glacier National Park, don't miss an
| > adventure because it is a few miles further away.
| >

| Uh, don't fly to WYS and think it's a gateway to Glacier.
You're an
| eight hour drive from Glacier when you leave the parking
lot at WYS. If
| you're going to Glacier you want Kalispell City or
Kalispell on the west
| side or Cut Bank on the east side.

Matt Whiting
May 28th 06, 12:43 AM
Jim Macklin wrote:

> I took most of my writtens several times before I had the
> money to get the hours. Never busted a written, but back in
> my day they were actually "free" on paper at the FSDO. I
> took all the fixed wing writtens, about the time I got my
> private, CFI,CFII, Comm., IFR,FOI,Ground Basic and
> Instrument [that got me the CGIA&I].

Money isn't my biggest limitation at the present, but I've been there.
I think I paid something like $85 to take the commercial written. Not a
huge deal if I have to take it again, I'm just hoping to avoid that if
possible. The problem now is that our club plane is in for its annual
and I heard today that it may not be done by next week. Always something...

Matt

Matt Barrow
May 28th 06, 01:05 AM
"Newps" > wrote in message

> Jim Macklin wrote:
>
>> Pick some places you'd like to visit and then see if they are far enough
>> away. The minimum distances are just that, minimums. You could go to
>> Oshkosh, straight line and then come back by a different route. There
>> are good restaurants on/near many airports. But there also are other
>> attractions. West Yellowstone is a gateway to Yellowstone National Park,
>> Glacier National Park, don't miss an adventure because it is a few miles
>> further away.
>>

> Uh, don't fly to WYS and think it's a gateway to Glacier. You're an eight
> hour drive from Glacier when you leave the parking lot at WYS. If you're
> going to Glacier you want Kalispell City or Kalispell on the west side or
> Cut Bank on the east side.

Kalispell's Glacier Intl?

Thanks for the note on the eastern side. How accessible is the park from Cut
Bank? Kalispell is closer, but Cut Bank seems to be easier approaches and
cheaper fuel. Correct?

--
"I had one fundamental question about
economics: Why are some places prosperous

Jim Macklin
May 28th 06, 01:14 AM
I worked for a man many years ago who said it takes three
things to get anything done, Time, desire and money, any two
are easy to get. He also said you can do anything you want
as long as you don't talk about it, or you talk about
anything you want as long as you don't do it.

Good luck with your schedule. BTW, typo alert, FAR duty day
is 14 hours, actually 10 consecutive hours of duty rest are
required. When we scheduled a charter, we would always ask
our passengers what their expected schedule was, if they
came anywhere close to the limit, we explained before
take-off about the options, If my day started at 5 AM for a
6 AM take-off, my day was done at 7 PM and we'd have to stay
over-night. But if I left the airport and checked into a
motel and got 10 hours rest away from the airport, my day
would be extended if the rest was ten hours. Often they
didn't know their schedule or would not worry about it,
they'd get drunk and be watch a ball game and then be angry
when they showed up at the airport when I had been on-duty
for 13 hours and there was a 2 hour flight to get home.

"Matt Whiting" > wrote in message
| Jim Macklin wrote:
|
| > I took most of my writtens several times before I had
the
| > money to get the hours. Never busted a written, but
back in
| > my day they were actually "free" on paper at the FSDO.
| > took all the fixed wing writtens, about the time I got
my
| > private, CFI,CFII, Comm., IFR,FOI,Ground Basic and
| > Instrument [that got me the CGIA&I].
|
| Money isn't my biggest limitation at the present, but I've
been there.
| I think I paid something like $85 to take the commercial
written. Not a
| huge deal if I have to take it again, I'm just hoping to
avoid that if
| possible. The problem now is that our club plane is in
for its annual
| and I heard today that it may not be done by next week.
Always something...

| Matt

Roy Smith
May 28th 06, 02:09 AM
In article <YX5eg.24191$ZW3.20573@dukeread04>,
"Jim Macklin" > wrote:

> Good luck with your schedule. BTW, typo alert, FAR duty day
> is 14 hours, actually 10 consecutive hours of duty rest are
> required. When we scheduled a charter, we would always ask
> our passengers what their expected schedule was, if they
> came anywhere close to the limit, we explained before
> take-off about the options, If my day started at 5 AM for a
> 6 AM take-off, my day was done at 7 PM and we'd have to stay
> over-night. But if I left the airport and checked into a
> motel and got 10 hours rest away from the airport, my day
> would be extended if the rest was ten hours. Often they
> didn't know their schedule or would not worry about it,
> they'd get drunk and be watch a ball game and then be angry
> when they showed up at the airport when I had been on-duty
> for 13 hours and there was a 2 hour flight to get home.

Sounds like a problem that's easy to solve. Just fly a second crew in to
take you back home. All it takes is sufficient money and desire :-)

Matt Barrow
May 28th 06, 05:11 AM
"FLAV8R" > wrote in message
>> AeroPlanner.com
>>
>> http://makeashorterlink.com/?I31E25C2D
>>
> Excellent....

Yeah...pick one!

Pat Thronson
May 28th 06, 05:33 PM
Hi Matt,

CTB, old WW II Bomber training base, is the only "close" place to get fuel
on the east side. The Chevy dealer in Cut Bank (406) 873-5515, does rent a
couple cars and I think the Ford and Dodge dealer do too.

The road over the pass "Going to the Sun" is still closed (snow and
avalanches). The park Service is predicting a June 15 opening date.
The air field in Babb (49S) is pretty good (wide and long), but has the
normal gravel, gopher holes, cows, cow pies, elk, etc.
It does not have fuel service.
The Cattle Barron (former Babb Bar) does offer good steaks and within
walking distance (1/4 mile) from the west end of the air field.

Pat Thronson
Babb, MT

The closest

"Matt Barrow" > wrote in message

<

Snippage>
> Thanks for the note on the eastern side. How accessible is the park from
> Cut Bank? Kalispell is closer, but Cut Bank seems to be easier approaches
> and cheaper fuel. Correct?

<Snippage >

Newps
May 28th 06, 06:33 PM
Matt Barrow wrote:

> Kalispell's Glacier Intl?

The identifier was changed a few months ago to GPI from FCA. GPI stands
for Glacier Park International, that has been the name of the airport
for a long time.

> Thanks for the note on the eastern side. How accessible is the park from Cut
> Bank? Kalispell is closer, but Cut Bank seems to be easier approaches and
> cheaper fuel. Correct?

There are no rental cars available at CTB. GPI and S27 are better. S27
is right in the middle of Kalispell and has a grocery store on the field
as well as a motel, the Aero Inn. When we go play in the mountains this
is where we go when we need to get some supplies. Fuel is a little
cheaper in CTB. As for approaches this is no place to be IFR in a
spamcan. VFR is easy around here.

Judah
May 28th 06, 09:31 PM
Sounds like I'm too late, but...

AOPA has a Radius Search for airports within xxx miles of another aiport.

I realize that's the inverse of what you are looking for, but when it is done
searching, it lists the results in distance order. So you could search for
airports within 250 or 300 nm of your starting point, and then scroll
immediately down to 200nm as a starting point...

Matt Whiting > wrote in news:19Ndg.9040$lb.820270
@news1.epix.net:

> Does anyone know of a good way to locate airports that are 200 miles or
> more from a given airport? I realize a large planning chart with a
> circle drawn would be easy, but I don't have one of those handy. I need
> to plan a 200 mile cross country for my commercial day/night long cross
> country and want to look for airports at least 200, but less than say
> 300 miles from KELM. I figure someone somewhere knows of software which
> will do this, but I'm not away of any.
>

> Matt

Jack Cunniff
June 6th 06, 08:08 PM
Matt Whiting > writes:

>Does anyone know of a good way to locate airports that are 200 miles or
>more from a given airport? I realize a large planning chart with a
>circle drawn would be easy, but I don't have one of those handy. I need
>to plan a 200 mile cross country for my commercial day/night long cross
>country and want to look for airports at least 200, but less than say
>300 miles from KELM. I figure someone somewhere knows of software which
>will do this, but I'm not away of any.

Sorry for the delay getting this posted, but it's exactly what the
original poster asked for

http://aviationtoolbox.org/old/cross-country.cgi

I'm surprised nobody remembered this. Kyler's been wonderful about sharing
his efforts, at no charge, with the rec.aviation.* crew. Too bad everyone
seems to have forgotten him.

-Jack

Google