PDA

View Full Version : Medical running out?

May 27th 06, 04:48 PM
Went to get my medical early in the month because I knew it would have
to go through FAA channels due to a few small problems. Had all the
proper paper work and test reports filled out in advance and the
Medical Examiner took them to send everything in together. It's now
the end of the month and I get a letter from the FAA saying that they
didn't receive the extra paper work (I am certain my ME screwed up).
The letter says that 'This is not a denial but I have 30 days to send
the paper work before the application is denied'. My ME's office
says not to worry that even though my current medical runs out in
several days the letter gives me a 30 day grace period. This doesn't
sound right to me because the letter says the "application" will be
denied and mentions nothing about my current medical. Anyone have any
experience with this? Does this mean I have to keep the letter with me
in case of a ramp check? I think the ME is giving me a line of crap to
cover their screw up.

JF

Jim Macklin
May 27th 06, 05:55 PM
Contact the regional medical examiner, contact the AOPA [you
are or should be a member] and follow up within the 30 days.
Sooner the better.
Did you keep copies of all the paperwork you took to the
AME?

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

> wrote in message
oups.com...
| Went to get my medical early in the month because I knew
it would have
| to go through FAA channels due to a few small problems.
Had all the
| proper paper work and test reports filled out in advance
and the
| Medical Examiner took them to send everything in together.
It's now
| the end of the month and I get a letter from the FAA
saying that they
| didn't receive the extra paper work (I am certain my ME
screwed up).
| The letter says that 'This is not a denial but I have 30
days to send
| the paper work before the application is denied'. My ME's
office
| says not to worry that even though my current medical runs
out in
| several days the letter gives me a 30 day grace period.
This doesn't
| sound right to me because the letter says the
"application" will be
| denied and mentions nothing about my current medical.
Anyone have any
| experience with this? Does this mean I have to keep the
letter with me
| in case of a ramp check? I think the ME is giving me a
line of crap to
| cover their screw up.
|
| JF

May 27th 06, 07:35 PM
The FAA "didn't receive" three consecutive sets of paperwork sent in by no
less than three of my doctors from three different clinics. In all three
instances the doctors were kind enough to give me copies of the required
documents which I then faxed to the FAA. Two of those documents were
received okay, but the FAA told me one fax was "garbled", but enough of the
document was received that they decided to continue my special issuance
anyway. I wouldn't blame your doctor if I was you.

Scott Wilson

May 27th 06, 11:02 PM
I did (fortunatly) keep copies of everything and FAXed them directly to
the FAA doctor that asked for them, then called his office to confirm
they got it. Tuesday I will follow up to make sure it is all they
needed and or is clear enough.
The reason I suspect my ME is because one of the issues was LASIK
surgery. I had the surgeon fill out the required FAA report but when I
gave it to my ME he said it was for them to keep in their files (this
seemed strange to me but I assumed they knew what they were talking
about). The FAA sent me another blank eye form. I am guessing that the
original was still "on file" at my ME's office.

JF

Ronald Gardner
May 28th 06, 02:11 AM
Call out the OKC to the medical office. Depending on your situation they
can fax you an extension if possible or if done in time the actual
medical. I have not had AME problems but several times the timing and the
back log messed things up. The gals in the office were very helpful. Good
luck!

Ron

wrote:

> I did (fortunatly) keep copies of everything and FAXed them directly to
> the FAA doctor that asked for them, then called his office to confirm
> they got it. Tuesday I will follow up to make sure it is all they
> needed and or is clear enough.
> The reason I suspect my ME is because one of the issues was LASIK
> surgery. I had the surgeon fill out the required FAA report but when I
> gave it to my ME he said it was for them to keep in their files (this
> seemed strange to me but I assumed they knew what they were talking
> about). The FAA sent me another blank eye form. I am guessing that the
> original was still "on file" at my ME's office.
>
> JF

Cub Driver
May 28th 06, 10:58 AM
On 27 May 2006 08:48:53 -0700, wrote:

>I get a letter from the FAA saying that they
>didn't receive the extra paper work (I am certain my ME screwed up).
>The letter says that 'This is not a denial but I have 30 days to send
>the paper work before the application is denied'. My ME's office
>says not to worry that even though my current medical runs out in
>several days the letter gives me a 30 day grace period. This doesn't
>sound right to me because the letter says the "application" will be
>denied and mentions nothing about my current medical. Anyone have any
>experience with this? Does this mean I have to keep the letter with me
>in case of a ramp check?

Yes, I had a similar experience, though in my case the FAA simply
ignored the information the doc sent in. They gave me the 30 days, but
the penalty was not a denial but a special issuance medical.

I am inclined to suspect an FAA screwup, and I would interpret the
letter just as your ME does: you have 30 days FROM THE DATE ON THE
LETTER to provide the information (at least that's what my letter
said), and meanwhile you are good to fly.

You have your medical in your pocket, right? It's valid until the FAA
says it's not valid, which is at the end of the 30 day period of
grace.

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email: usenet AT danford DOT net

Warbird's Forum: www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com

Ron Natalie
May 28th 06, 02:19 PM
Cub Driver wrote:

> I am inclined to suspect an FAA screwup, and I would interpret the
> letter just as your ME does: you have 30 days FROM THE DATE ON THE
> LETTER to provide the information (at least that's what my letter
> said), and meanwhile you are good to fly.
>
> You have your medical in your pocket, right? It's valid until the FAA
> says it's not valid, which is at the end of the 30 day period of
> grace.

Right, the medical is good until they specifically tell you it isn't.
The letter says that if you don't send them the paperwork in 30 days
they'll deny it (eventually sending you official notification of
that).

This is a big improvement from the way the used to was to not let
the doctor issue you the certificate, pending their review.

The 30 day scare is just to keep you from procrastinating too long.

Google