PDA

View Full Version : HELP:Aeronca Champ or J3 Cub V speed?

May 30th 06, 03:23 PM
Does anyone have a handy operation manual

to check out either Aeronca 7AC Champ or J3 Cub's V
speed? Thank you very much.

Shin

john smith
May 30th 06, 04:24 PM
In article . com>,
wrote:

> Does anyone have a handy operation manual
> to check out either Aeronca 7AC Champ or J3 Cub's V
> speed? Thank you very much.

Which speed(s) do you want to know?

Jim Macklin
May 30th 06, 08:58 PM
Find TCDS for all FAA certified aircraft
http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgMakeModel.nsf/MainFrame?OpenFrameSet

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

"Robert M. Gary" > wrote in message
oups.com...
| My Aeronca 11AC cruised at about 90 mph. I only have about
10 hrs of
| Champ PIC but I remeber it about 5 mph faster. In the J-3
I got about
| 70 mph. The Aeronca is 100% better airplane in everyway
other than the
| name. The Champ allows you to fly from the front, your
legs do not wrap
| around your passengers, your brakes do not run cables that
your feet
| get stuck on, you can fly the Aeronca with regular shoes,
the J-3
| requires slippers (because your feet have to wrap around
the peddle to
| access the brake), the Aeronca handles turb ok, the J-3
bobs up and
| down on any slight bump, the Aeronca will fly straight if
you let go,
| the J-3 will wonder all over the place, etc, etc. Plus, in
the Aeronca
| you can see where you are going, in the J-3, you cruise
around looking
| straight down because you have almost no in-flight,
forward vis.
| Both planes stall at 0 mph IAS, I don't recall the TAS's
but its
| somewhere around 38 mph.
|

| -Robert

Morgans
May 30th 06, 09:54 PM
"Robert M. Gary" > wrote

> the J-3 will wonder all over the place,

Jeez, I would think an airplane's life would be pretty simple. You know,
go around and fly a bit, then land, repeat when asked to do so. I wonder
what they are thinking about, when they wonder about things, all over the
place. <bfg> (ducking, now! ;-))
--
Jim in NC

Chris W
May 30th 06, 10:00 PM
Robert M. Gary wrote:

> Both planes stall at 0 mph IAS, . . .

Wow! Does that also mean that perpetual motion really exists and P
really does equal nP? :)

--
Chris W
KE5GIX

Gift Giving Made Easy
Get the gifts you want &
give the gifts they want
One stop wish list for any gift,
from anywhere, for any occasion!
http://thewishzone.com

May 30th 06, 11:09 PM
This is exactly what I need. I found the Champ document at this
website. Thank you very much, Robert.

Shin

Robert M. Gary
May 30th 06, 11:14 PM
> Wow! Does that also mean that perpetual motion really exists and P
> really does equal nP? :)

No, it just means the installation error of the pitot tube exceeds the
TAS at the stall.

-Robert

tom
May 31st 06, 04:35 AM
Morgans wrote:
> Jeez, I would think an airplane's life would be pretty simple. You know,
> go around and fly a bit, then land, repeat when asked to do so. I wonder
> what they are thinking about, when they wonder about things, all over the
> place. <bfg> (ducking, now! ;-))
> Jim in NC

My little brother used to say that when he grows up, he wants to be a
firetruck. I'll ask him, since I think he's got some airplane friends.
tom <yabfg>

Cub Driver
May 31st 06, 11:14 AM
On 30 May 2006 07:23:58 -0700, wrote:

>Does anyone have a handy operation manual
>
>to check out either Aeronca 7AC Champ or J3 Cub's V
>speed? Thank you very much.

Of course there is no operation manual for the J-3, but here are the
figures given me in ground school:

Cruise 73 mph
Top 83 mph
Stall 39 mph
Best glide 50 mph
Green arc 39-90 mph (of course, neither is there any green arc!)
Yellow arc 90-122 mph
Red line 122 mph

That said, I would *never* fly a 60-year-old Cub at 122 mph!

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email: usenet AT danford DOT net

Warbird's Forum: www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com

Cub Driver
May 31st 06, 11:15 AM
On 30 May 2006 09:58:06 -0700, "Robert M. Gary" >
wrote:

> The Aeronca is 100% better airplane in everyway other than the
>name.

And looks, and resale value, and historical association ...

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email: usenet AT danford DOT net

Warbird's Forum: www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com

Cub Driver
May 31st 06, 11:19 AM
wrote:

>the J-3
>requires slippers (because your feet have to wrap around the peddle to
>access the brake

I use hiking boots!

I'm not sure how you're visualizing the J-3 brakes. They are beneath
the rudder pedal. Applying them requires you merely to keep your toes
in the air while applying pressure with your heel, which can be done
in anything short of a plastic ski boot. Very good exercise for the
Achilles tendon, too :)

It's true I suppose that a size 12 foot with Vibram soled boots would
have a bit of difficulty.

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email: usenet AT danford DOT net

Warbird's Forum: www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com

Brian
May 31st 06, 06:58 PM
Gee, I recall that when I got checked out in the J-4 the speeds were

Climb 50
Cruise 50
Approach 50
get scared if over 60 or less than 40.

:)
Brian

Cub Driver wrote:
> On 30 May 2006 07:23:58 -0700, wrote:
>
> >Does anyone have a handy operation manual
> >
> >to check out either Aeronca 7AC Champ or J3 Cub's V
> >speed? Thank you very much.
>
> Of course there is no operation manual for the J-3, but here are the
> figures given me in ground school:
>
> Cruise 73 mph
> Top 83 mph
> Stall 39 mph
> Best glide 50 mph
> Green arc 39-90 mph (of course, neither is there any green arc!)
> Yellow arc 90-122 mph
> Red line 122 mph
>
> That said, I would *never* fly a 60-year-old Cub at 122 mph!
>

> -- all the best, Dan Ford
>
> email: usenet AT danford DOT net
>
> Warbird's Forum: www.warbirdforum.com
> Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com