PDA

View Full Version : Reserve Parachute and TSA

Jeffrey Banks
May 31st 06, 03:54 PM
Hi all,

On the second leg of my airline trip the TSA decided there was
something inside my parachute that needed further physical inspection.
They called me back to the inspection area and asked me to "unpack" my
chute. I explained that it was a reserve and I was not qualified to
repack, and then I would have a pile of canopy and cord to deal with
afterwards.
No help..
I asked if I could call my parachute rigger on my cellphone to explain
the part in the chute that had them concerned.
No help
I explained that the FAA requires a sign-off and showed the inspection
tag of the FAA qualified re-packer.
No help
I asked that they make a PA announcement in the terminal to locate a
FAA parachute rigger that could help out the inspection.
No help.

I will visit my rigger and learn a bit more about opening my chute for
inspection. I think with personal knowlege of my chute I probably
could of opened it without a mess.
I would of course void my repack and have to have it re done at my
destination.

linkhttp://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1147.xml

Jeff Banks

5Z
May 31st 06, 04:28 PM
Jeffrey Banks wrote:
> I will visit my rigger and learn a bit more about opening my chute for
> inspection. I think with personal knowlege of my chute I probably
> could of opened it without a mess.

You would have ended up with a package about 4 times as large as
before....

Sadly, as in most "zero tolerance" type situations, these people are
forced to act "stupid" and follow their interpretation of the rules "to
the letter".

Here's how they treat invalids:
http://reason.com/brickbats/bb-2006.shtml

Jeffrey Banks
May 31st 06, 05:32 PM
Tom,

At 15:30 31 May 2006, 5z wrote:>
>You would have ended up with a package about 4 times
>as large as
>before....

That was what I was afraid of.
I mailed it no problem.

JS
May 31st 06, 11:06 PM
My girlfriend and I have both traveled with parahutes. She has even
taken it as carry on baggage. No problems so far.
I have a laminated tag on my chute bag:

Airport Security:

(TSA logo)

This is an emergency parachute

Ø It has been inspected and repacked by an FAA certified rigger.

Ø My life may depend on this safety equipment. Please respect it.

Ø If the seal is broken, or it appears to have been tampered with, it
is not considered airworthy.

Ø X-ray it and swipe the container all you want.

Ø Questions: You know where to find me.

Thanks!

Jeffrey Banks
May 31st 06, 11:28 PM
Js,

When the chute was xrayed there was an object inside
that 'they' had
determined to physicaly inspect. I have yet to figure
what it is. They did
call me from my flight back to security to help 'unpack'
the chute for
observation. I told them verbaly all that is on your
laminated tag. Did not
help.
For now I must Mail the chute overnight to my destination
to avoid the TSA
obstacle. I am sure there are good reasons, however
the chance that TSA is
again concerned, currently the same could happen on
another trip.

At 22:12 31 May 2006, Js wrote:
>My girlfriend and I have both traveled with parahutes.
>She has even
>taken it as carry on baggage. No problems so far.
>I have a laminated tag on my chute bag:
>
>Airport Security:
>
>(TSA logo)
>
>This is an emergency parachute
>
>=D8 It has been inspected and repacked by an FAA certified
>rigger.
>
>=D8 My life may depend on this safety equipment. Please
>respect it.
>
>=D8 If the seal is broken, or it appears to have been
>tampered with, it
>is not considered airworthy.
>
>=D8 X-ray it and swipe the container all you want.
>
>=D8 Questions: You know where to find me.
>
>Thanks!

June 1st 06, 01:05 AM
There is the possibility that the last rigger left a packing tool in
your parachute and the TSA recognised it as a solid object in what
should mostly be fabric. An enraged passenger could really annoy
someone with a temporary packing pin...
Jeffrey Banks wrote:
> Js,
>
> When the chute was xrayed there was an object inside
> that 'they' had
> determined to physicaly inspect. I have yet to figure
> what it is. They did
> call me from my flight back to security to help 'unpack'
> the chute for
> observation. I told them verbaly all that is on your
> laminated tag. Did not
> help.
> For now I must Mail the chute overnight to my destination
> to avoid the TSA
> obstacle. I am sure there are good reasons, however
> the chance that TSA is
> again concerned, currently the same could happen on
> another trip.
>
> At 22:12 31 May 2006, Js wrote:
> >My girlfriend and I have both traveled with parahutes.
> >She has even
> >taken it as carry on baggage. No problems so far.
> >I have a laminated tag on my chute bag:
> >
> >Airport Security:
> >
> >(TSA logo)
> >
> >This is an emergency parachute
> >
> >=D8 It has been inspected and repacked by an FAA certified
> >rigger.
> >
> >=D8 My life may depend on this safety equipment. Please
> >respect it.
> >
> >=D8 If the seal is broken, or it appears to have been
> >tampered with, it
> >is not considered airworthy.
> >
> >=D8 X-ray it and swipe the container all you want.
> >
> >=D8 Questions: You know where to find me.
> >
> >Thanks!

Vaughn Simon
June 1st 06, 01:45 AM
From the TSA site:

Parachutes

Skydiving rigs with and without Automatic Activation Devices (AAD) are permitted
as a carry-on or as checked luggage.

Typically, a rig will move through the checked luggage or carry-on security
screening process without need for physical inspection. However, TSA screeners
have a duty to thoroughly inspect any item that raises suspicion. If screeners
determine that it is necessary to open a rig for complete inspection, then the
owner of the rig must be present and will be allowed to assist. For this
reason, skydivers are advised to add at least 30 minutes to the airline's
recommended arrival window when traveling with their parachute.

The following recommendations are provided to assist skydivers traveling with
parachutes:

Check the Parachute as Luggage

a.. Pack the rig separately without any other items in the bag. Additional
items, if suspicious, could trigger an inspection of the entire bag.
b.. Screeners will not unpack a parachute without the owner present to provide
assistance. This means that the passenger will be paged and asked to return to
the ticket counter, so they can be present for inspection. Depending on the size
of the airport and passenger volume, it is likely that the checked rig will be
screened within 30 minutes. Remain in the area of the air carrier ticket counter
and pay close attention to airport announcements for up to 30 minutes after
checking in.
c.. If TSA cannot locate the parachute owner, the uncleared parachute will not
be transported on the flight.
d.. Parachute owners may assist TSA screeners to unpack and repack the rig.

Carry the Parachute on the Aircraft

a.. Pack the rig separately without any other items in the bag. Additional
items, if suspicious, could trigger an inspection of the entire bag.
b.. If a further search is required, all efforts will be made to search the
item without out opening the chute(s).
c.. If a chute is opened, the owner can assist. The search may be done in a
location away from the checkpoint to provide adequate space for the search, and
space for the owner to repack the rig.

Parachutists should thoroughly inspect their parachutes at their destination to
ensure that it has not been tampered with or damaged in a manner that renders it
unsafe.

Google