PDA

View Full Version : Glider school

brhood
May 31st 06, 11:29 PM
My Pacific NW location doesn't lend itself to consistant instruction,
I have to work around weather, the instructors work schedule and his
glider rides. (Although he is very good and the 'trainer' is a
DG1000(!). The local clubs have similar issues. I'm considering going
off somewhere for a week of more intense work, and looking for
suggestions, including specific schools and/or instructors. I'm even
considering going to Europe so as to make a real adventure of it, but
then I heard they like to come here, so maybe that's not a very good
idea.

Thanks for the assistance,

Brian

June 1st 06, 01:43 AM
Closer to you is Invermere BC and Cdn Rockies Soaring Club. give them a
call maybe.... our dollar is getting stronger daily so hurry!

http://www.canadianrockiessoaring.com/

Bob

brhood wrote:
> My Pacific NW location doesn't lend itself to consistant instruction,
> I have to work around weather, the instructors work schedule and his
> glider rides. (Although he is very good and the 'trainer' is a
> DG1000(!). The local clubs have similar issues. I'm considering going
> off somewhere for a week of more intense work, and looking for
> suggestions, including specific schools and/or instructors. I'm even
> considering going to Europe so as to make a real adventure of it, but
> then I heard they like to come here, so maybe that's not a very good
> idea.
>
> Thanks for the assistance,
>
> Brian

Fred
June 1st 06, 03:10 AM
At the risk of sounding immodest, I'll recommend Soar Minden. We have
people coming from the Pacific Northwest pretty regularly for just the
reasons you mention. And our cross country season is just getting
rolling right now, with many pilots making all afternoon flights of
300-500 kilometers. The scenery is nice, the weather is pleasant, we
can get an examiner in with a week's advance notice, and we offer just
what you're looking for: five day finishing up programs so you leave
with your FAA certificate. Our packages hold costs down, although they
will never compete with club prices. Call us at 1 800 345 7627 for
details. And if we're not what you're looking for, the SSA web page
offers links to several other commercial glider operations in the
western U.S. that offer similar programs. No need to go to Europe!
Fred

dave r.
June 1st 06, 04:13 AM
Try Mile High Gliding in Boulder Colorado.

They have a couple of programs for just what you are looking for and with
John, Bill and Shawn there 7 days a week with six gliders and three tow
planes, you'll get all the flying you can take!

www.milehighgliding.com

Dave Russell.

"brhood" > wrote in message
> My Pacific NW location doesn't lend itself to consistant instruction,
> I have to work around weather, the instructors work schedule and his
> glider rides. (Although he is very good and the 'trainer' is a
> DG1000(!). The local clubs have similar issues. I'm considering going
> off somewhere for a week of more intense work, and looking for
> suggestions, including specific schools and/or instructors. I'm even
> considering going to Europe so as to make a real adventure of it, but
> then I heard they like to come here, so maybe that's not a very good
> idea.
>
> Thanks for the assistance,
>
> Brian

Nyal Williams
June 1st 06, 04:40 AM
Go to Caracole inCalifornia City or to Great Western Soaring School in
Llano(?), both in CA. You can't find better, sounder instruction than
these places. I'm a CFIG from the midwest and I have had advanced
instruction at both places.

You can find them on the web through SSA where to soar link

Nyal Williams

June 1st 06, 07:08 AM
Hurry on over! Our club here in Southern Bavaria has a week long
"school" starting on Monday! The cost is 100€ including flight time
and winch launches. We are trying to generate more interest in the club
and in soaring.

Bob

Google