PDA

View Full Version : Here We Go ... Fire Season Out West

Jay Beckman
June 2nd 06, 06:13 AM
Amazing how fast fire fighting TFRs can pop up.

Two just today and both are either on or close enough to airways to make
low-level flights north from Phoenix a little problematical. One is just SE
of Prescott and the other is just S of Sedona.

I'm going to Page, AZ tomorrow and I'm lookin' at going NE to Payson and
Winslow before I can turn back to the NNW.

If you're camping out west these days...be careful with those matches and
campfires. It's frighteningly dry right now.

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
Chandler, AZ

Ross Richardson
June 2nd 06, 02:01 PM
Getting off topic, but here in TX it is interesting all the burned areas
next to the highways. I just bet its that cigarette that gets thrown out
the window. Lots of roadside fires get started that way. So, pilots, do
not throw that cigarette out the window when you fly.

Ross
KSWI

Jay Beckman wrote:

> Amazing how fast fire fighting TFRs can pop up.
>
> Two just today and both are either on or close enough to airways to make
> low-level flights north from Phoenix a little problematical. One is just SE
> of Prescott and the other is just S of Sedona.
>
> I'm going to Page, AZ tomorrow and I'm lookin' at going NE to Payson and
> Winslow before I can turn back to the NNW.
>
> If you're camping out west these days...be careful with those matches and
> campfires. It's frighteningly dry right now.
>
> Jay Beckman
> PP-ASEL
> Chandler, AZ

gatt
June 2nd 06, 04:53 PM
"Ross Richardson" > wrote in message
> Getting off topic, but here in TX it is interesting all the burned areas
> next to the highways. I just bet its that cigarette that gets thrown out
> the window. Lots of roadside fires get started that way. So, pilots, do
> not throw that cigarette out the window when you fly.

That is exceptionally good advice.

Unfortunately, out here in Oregon, there are parades happening this weekend
and the Rose Festival is underway. That means torrential rain until Monday.
And since last weekend was Memorial Day, it rained all that day too.
Waiting for good weather to practice steep spiral descents...

-c

Newps
June 2nd 06, 09:22 PM
Here's the best website I've seen for keeping track of fires. It won't
show TFR's however. Click on Wildfire Mapping.

http://geomac.usgs.gov/#

Jay Beckman wrote:

> Amazing how fast fire fighting TFRs can pop up.
>
> Two just today and both are either on or close enough to airways to make
> low-level flights north from Phoenix a little problematical. One is just SE
> of Prescott and the other is just S of Sedona.
>
> I'm going to Page, AZ tomorrow and I'm lookin' at going NE to Payson and
> Winslow before I can turn back to the NNW.
>
> If you're camping out west these days...be careful with those matches and
> campfires. It's frighteningly dry right now.
>
> Jay Beckman
> PP-ASEL
> Chandler, AZ

LWG
June 3rd 06, 01:02 AM
Yeah, getting them crunched up beer cans out of that little winder is tough
enough.

"Ross Richardson" > wrote in message
> Getting off topic, but here in TX it is interesting all the burned areas
> next to the highways. I just bet its that cigarette that gets thrown out
> the window. Lots of roadside fires get started that way. So, pilots, do
> not throw that cigarette out the window when you fly.
>
> Ross
> KSWI
>
> Jay Beckman wrote:
>
>> Amazing how fast fire fighting TFRs can pop up.
>>
>> Two just today and both are either on or close enough to airways to make
>> low-level flights north from Phoenix a little problematical. One is just
>> SE of Prescott and the other is just S of Sedona.
>>
>> I'm going to Page, AZ tomorrow and I'm lookin' at going NE to Payson and
>> Winslow before I can turn back to the NNW.
>>
>> If you're camping out west these days...be careful with those matches and
>> campfires. It's frighteningly dry right now.
>>
>> Jay Beckman
>> PP-ASEL
>> Chandler, AZ

Peter R.
June 5th 06, 06:15 PM
Newps > wrote:

> Here's the best website I've seen for keeping track of fires. It won't
> show TFR's however. Click on Wildfire Mapping.
>
> http://geomac.usgs.gov/#

Very interesting. Thanks for the link.

--
Peter