PDA

View Full Version : OLC - 20 rejected, 18 Accepted

Jack
June 4th 06, 04:08 AM
As of 2150 CDT, 2006.06.03 of 38 OLC entries posted for the day, 20 were
rejected, 18 were accepted.

What's the point?

Explanations and guidance from OLC continue to be incomplete and
unclear, as they were last year. OLC could have used the time to improve
the system, but instead they used it to create more complication. I can
not imagine that participation will continue to skyrocket in future
under these conditions.

I will not spend 1000+ dollars to buy and install an "approved" logger,
just to play with the OLC. My handheld Garmin GPSMAP 76S was good enough
last year, and quite appropriate for a retired 1-26 owner on a budget,
but this year not.

A new form of elitism finds a niche in soaring -- just what we need.

Jack

Eric Greenwell
June 4th 06, 05:05 AM
Jack wrote:
> As of 2150 CDT, 2006.06.03 of 38 OLC entries posted for the day, 20 were
> rejected, 18 were accepted.
>
> What's the point?
>
> Explanations and guidance from OLC continue to be incomplete and
> unclear, as they were last year. OLC could have used the time to improve
> the system, but instead they used it to create more complication. I can
> not imagine that participation will continue to skyrocket in future
> under these conditions.
>
> I will not spend 1000+ dollars to buy and install an "approved" logger,
> just to play with the OLC. My handheld Garmin GPSMAP 76S was good enough
> last year, and quite appropriate for a retired 1-26 owner on a budget,
> but this year not.
>
> A new form of elitism finds a niche in soaring -- just what we need.

There are only six now with the red mark, out of 54. Sometimes it takes
a while for the OLC computers check all the flights.

Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

www.motorglider.org - Download "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane
Operation"

Jack
June 4th 06, 05:17 AM
Jack wrote:
> As of 2150 CDT, 2006.06.03 of 38 OLC entries posted for the day, 20 were
> rejected, 18 were accepted.
>
> What's the point?
>
> Explanations and guidance from OLC continue to be incomplete and
> unclear, as they were last year. OLC could have used the time to improve
> the system, but instead they used it to create more complication. I can
> not imagine that participation will continue to skyrocket in future
> under these conditions.
>
> I will not spend 1000+ dollars to buy and install an "approved" logger,
> just to play with the OLC. My handheld Garmin GPSMAP 76S was good enough
> last year, and quite appropriate for a retired 1-26 owner on a budget,
> but this year not.
>
> A new form of elitism finds a niche in soaring -- just what we need.
>

> Jack

Sorry, I jumped the gun -- it's down to 7 rejects now (45 min later).
Apparently, the system was a bit too heavily loaded, but is beginning to
catch up. After my four and a half hour flight today I am fried, and
even more short-tempered than usual. Even so, OLC worked a lot smoother
last year. Let's hope the product improves.

Thankfully, it looks as though I can continue to use the Garmin GPSMAP
76S effectively, and spend my money on tows and bottled water instead of
buying an "approved" logger.

Jack

Google