PDA

View Full Version : Glider Instruction in NC

Jimbob
June 5th 06, 01:58 PM
Hi guys,

Newly minted PPSEL looking for glider instruction in North Carolina.
I'm in southeast Charlotte. Anybody know of any operations in my area?
Or a directory, perhaps?

Thanks,
Jim

Ray Lovinggood
June 5th 06, 02:36 PM
Hello Jim,

You can check ssa.org and look at the 'where to fly'
section.

Since you are in southeast part of Charlotte, the BIGGEST
place is southeast of you: Bermuda High. I think
their webpage is glider.org

If you want to do the quick transition, a commercial
operation such as Bermuda High is the way to go. With
clubs, you might get to fly only on weekends and the
wait to fly could be lengthy if there are a number
of students. But at a commercial operation, they are
open most days of the week allowing the rapid progression
to the license. It will cost more up front, but if
time is an issue, such a school is the way to go, IMHO.

They have their own private field with hangars, club
house/office/bunk room, grass strip, Pawnees, 2-33's,
and several other aircraft.

East of Charlotte in the town of Wadesboro is the Anson
County Airport. That is the home of ASS: Anson Soaring
Society. I don't know if they have an instructor,
though.

Northeast of Charlotte and closer to Winston Salem
is the Piedmont Soaring Society and they do offer instruction.

Again, check the SSA web page. I think there should
be links to these sites there.

Ray Lovinggood
North Carolina Soaring Association
(We fly at Harnett County Airport that is south of
Raleigh and north of Fayetteville)

At 13:00 05 June 2006, Jimbob wrote:
>Hi guys,
>
>Newly minted PPSEL looking for glider instruction in
>North Carolina.
>I'm in southeast Charlotte. Anybody know of any operations
>in my area?
>Or a directory, perhaps?
>

>Thanks,
>Jim