PDA

View Full Version : Now this is piloting...

Gig 601XL Builder
June 5th 06, 05:51 PM
I don't care that it is R/C

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gulv_bvZS94&eurl

City Dweller
June 6th 06, 03:01 AM
Pretty amazing. You obviously can't stall that airplane. With its nose up,
it essentially becomes a helicopter. Can any real-life high-performers do
that?

"Gig 601XL Builder" <wrDOTgiaconaATcox.net> wrote in message
> I don't care that it is R/C
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gulv_bvZS94&eurl

Flyingmonk
June 6th 06, 03:05 AM
Gig 601XL Builder wrote:
> I don't care that it is R/C
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gulv_bvZS94&eurl

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.aviation.piloting/browse_frm/thread/d18aa88b17fc9796/5da46e0c17972e59?hl=en#5da46e0c17972e59

FLAV8R
June 6th 06, 11:40 AM
"City Dweller" wrote in message ...
> Pretty amazing. You obviously can't stall that airplane. With its nose up,
> it essentially becomes a helicopter. Can any real-life high-performers do
> that?

Pointing straight up and acting like a helicopter has been done by a
full-size
acrobatic plane at airshows.

David

gatt
June 6th 06, 07:14 PM
"City Dweller" > wrote in message
> Pretty amazing. You obviously can't stall that airplane. With its nose up,
> it essentially becomes a helicopter. Can any real-life high-performers do
> that?

Have you guys seen this one? (R/C helicopter)

It's a little slow at first, but by the end...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM-x9Hc8Xyc&search=R/C%20helicopter

Mortimer Schnerd, RN
June 6th 06, 07:42 PM
gatt wrote:

> It's a little slow at first, but by the end...
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM-x9Hc8Xyc&search=R/C%20helicopter

Reminds me of my first lesson in a C-152. I might have overcontrolled a wee
bit.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Morgans
June 6th 06, 09:42 PM
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" > wrote

>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM-x9Hc8Xyc&search=R/C%20helicopter
>

> Reminds me of my first lesson in a C-152. I might have overcontrolled a
> wee bit.

That is the most incredible RC video I have ever seen, bar none...

Jay, you should consider putting that on your Web Pages. I know you have
nothing like it, but WoW!!!

I don't understand how a RC heli can do some of the things it does. For an
example, knife edge hovering? How can the blades possibly provide lift in
the horizontal vector? Beyond me!
--
Jim in NC

Montblack
June 6th 06, 10:30 PM
("Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote)
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM-x9Hc8Xyc&search=R/C%20helicopter

> Reminds me of my first lesson in a C-152. I might have overcontrolled a
> wee bit.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?D2C03193D
Was it in one of these? <g>

Montblack

Mortimer Schnerd, RN
June 6th 06, 11:51 PM
Montblack wrote:
> ("Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote)
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM-x9Hc8Xyc&search=R/C%20helicopter
>
>> Reminds me of my first lesson in a C-152. I might have overcontrolled a
>> wee bit.
>

> http://makeashorterlink.com/?D2C03193D
> Was it in one of these? <g>

Looked more like this:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=0043676&WxsIERv=Cvcre%20CN-32E-300%20Purebxrr%20Ynapr&Wm=0&WdsYXMg=Hagvgyrq&QtODMg=Znkgba%20-%20Ynhevaohet%20%2F%20Znkgba%20%28ZKR%20%2F%20ZRO% 29&ERDLTkt=HFN%20-%20Abegu%20Pnebyvan&ktODMp=Nhthfg%2014%2C%201999&BP=1&WNEb25u=Wnzrf%20Evpuneq%20Pbivatgba&xsIERvdWdsY=A8727R&MgTUQtODMgKE=.%20Guvf%20nvepensg%20penfurq%20va%20 Ebpx%20Uvyy%2C%20FP%20ba%20Znepu%2012%2C%201988.%2 02%20frevbhf%20vawhevrf.&YXMgTUQtODMgKERD=2456&NEb25uZWxs=1999-08-17%2000%3A00%3A00&ODJ9dvCE=&O89Dcjdg=&static=yes&width=971&height=740&sok=&photo_nr=3&prev_id=0043677&next_id=NEXTID

Pardon the long link.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Scott Skylane
June 7th 06, 02:33 AM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
/snip/
> Pardon the long link.

If you look at the very page you linked to, three lines above the photo
is a much shorter link you can use.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0043676/M/

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane

Mortimer Schnerd, RN
June 7th 06, 05:03 AM
Scott Skylane wrote:
> If you look at the very page you linked to, three lines above the photo
> is a much shorter link you can use.
>
> http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0043676/M/

So it is. That's the Lance I crashed back in 1988. Damn near killed me.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Gig 601XL Builder
June 7th 06, 02:37 PM
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" > wrote in message
> Montblack wrote:
>> ("Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote)
>>
>>> Reminds me of my first lesson in a C-152. I might have overcontrolled a
>>> wee bit.
>>

>> http://makeashorterlink.com/?D2C03193D
>> Was it in one of these? <g>
>

> Looked more like this:
>
> http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=0043676&WxsIERv=Cvcre%20CN-32E-300%20Purebxrr%20Ynapr&Wm=0&WdsYXMg=Hagvgyrq&QtODMg=Znkgba%20-%20Ynhevaohet%20%2F%20Znkgba%20%28ZKR%20%2F%20ZRO% 29&ERDLTkt=HFN%20-%20Abegu%20Pnebyvan&ktODMp=Nhthfg%2014%2C%201999&BP=1&WNEb25u=Wnzrf%20Evpuneq%20Pbivatgba&xsIERvdWdsY=A8727R&MgTUQtODMgKE=.%20Guvf%20nvepensg%20penfurq%20va%20 Ebpx%20Uvyy%2C%20FP%20ba%20Znepu%2012%2C%201988.%2 02%20frevbhf%20vawhevrf.&YXMgTUQtODMgKERD=2456&NEb25uZWxs=1999-08-17%2000%3A00%3A00&ODJ9dvCE=&O89Dcjdg=&static=yes&width=971&height=740&sok=&photo_nr=3&prev_id=0043677&next_id=NEXTID
>
> Pardon the long link.
>

> --
> Mortimer Schnerd, RN

And the link could have looked like this if you just use the link they offer
on the page.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0043676/M/

Peter R.
June 7th 06, 03:02 PM
Gig 601XL Builder <wrDOTgiaconaATcox.net> wrote:

> And the link could have looked like this if you just use the link they offer
> on the page.

I thought Mort was simply making a joke. Silly of me.

--
Peter

Mortimer Schnerd, RN
June 7th 06, 05:46 PM
Gig 601XL Builder wrote:
> "Mortimer Schnerd, RN" > wrote in message
> And the link could have looked like this if you just use the link they offer
> on the page.
>
> http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0043676/M/

Thank you for pointing that out just like the other fellow did. Try to keep up.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Matt Whiting
June 7th 06, 10:51 PM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

> Scott Skylane wrote:
>
>>If you look at the very page you linked to, three lines above the photo
>>is a much shorter link you can use.
>>
>>http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0043676/M/
>

> So it is. That's the Lance I crashed back in 1988. Damn near killed me.

What was the cause of the crash?

Matt

Mortimer Schnerd, RN
June 8th 06, 04:48 AM
Matt Whiting wrote:
> What was the cause of the crash?

Catastrophic engine failure shortly after takeoff. An oil line wasn't
sufficiently tightened after maintenance and it shook loose. The engine seized
shortly afterwards.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

June 8th 06, 05:24 AM
gatt wrote:

> Have you guys seen this one? (R/C helicopter)
>
> It's a little slow at first, but by the end...
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM-x9Hc8Xyc&search=R/C%20helicopter

Thanks a bunch for this, Gatt. Awesome.

Can a real chopper be built to do the same things too?

Ramapriya

Jay Beckman
June 8th 06, 07:29 AM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> gatt wrote:
>>
>> Have you guys seen this one? (R/C helicopter)
>>
>> It's a little slow at first, but by the end...
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM-x9Hc8Xyc&search=R/C%20helicopter
>

> Thanks a bunch for this, Gatt. Awesome.
>
> Can a real chopper be built to do the same things too?
>
> Ramapriya

Yes but only Americans' can afford it...

Jay B

June 8th 06, 07:48 AM
Jay Beckman wrote:
> > wrote in message

> > Thanks a bunch for this, Gatt. Awesome.
> >
> > Can a real chopper be built to do the same things too?
> >
> > Ramapriya
>
> Yes but only Americans' can afford it...
>
> Jay B

Status quo.

Ramapriya

Jay Beckman
June 8th 06, 08:01 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Jay Beckman wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>
>> > Thanks a bunch for this, Gatt. Awesome.
>> >
>> > Can a real chopper be built to do the same things too?
>> >
>> > Ramapriya
>>
>> Yes but only Americans' can afford it...
>>
>> Jay B
>

> Status quo.
>
> Ramapriya

Eventus Stultorum Magister

Jay B

June 8th 06, 08:13 AM
Jay Beckman wrote:

> >> Yes but only Americans' can afford it...
> >>
> >> Jay B
> >

> > Status quo.
> >
> > Ramapriya
>
> Eventus Stultorum Magister
>
> Jay B

Status quo.

Ramapriya

Flyingmonk
June 8th 06, 01:06 PM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
> Scott Skylane wrote:
> > If you look at the very page you linked to, three lines above the photo
> > is a much shorter link you can use.
> >
> > http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0043676/M/
>

> So it is. That's the Lance I crashed back in 1988. Damn near killed me.
>

> --
> Mortimer Schnerd, RN

I see that after the crash, you bothered to pull the parking break,
good job! <g>
Monk

Tater Schuld
June 8th 06, 09:22 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> gatt wrote:
>>
>> Have you guys seen this one? (R/C helicopter)
>> It's a little slow at first, but by the end...
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM-x9Hc8Xyc&search=R/C%20helicopter
>
> Thanks a bunch for this, Gatt. Awesome.
> Can a real chopper be built to do the same things too?

only if you can make a 2000hp engine weigh as much as a 45hp

hence the reasons they can make just about any of the RC planes do knife
edge, hammerheads, etc

Matt Whiting
June 8th 06, 10:51 PM
Flyingmonk wrote:

> Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
>
>>Scott Skylane wrote:
>>
>>>If you look at the very page you linked to, three lines above the photo
>>>is a much shorter link you can use.
>>>
>>>http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0043676/M/
>>

>>So it is. That's the Lance I crashed back in 1988. Damn near killed me.
>>

>>--
>>Mortimer Schnerd, RN
>>

> I see that after the crash, you bothered to pull the parking break,
> good job! <g>

It was already broke by then so no need to break it further.

Matt

June 9th 06, 06:36 AM
Tater Schuld wrote:

> > Thanks a bunch for this, Gatt. Awesome.
> > Can a real chopper be built to do the same things too?
>
> only if you can make a 2000hp engine weigh as much as a 45hp
>
> hence the reasons they can make just about any of the RC planes do knife
> edge, hammerheads, etc

Guessed so. Mostly to do with the power-to-weight ratio. Should at all
nuclear-powered engines become an option in the future, you might just
see one such. From what I hear (in power stations), they have a
impressively high p/w. But then there are the dreadful environmental
side-effects...

Ramapriya

Dylan Smith
June 9th 06, 03:01 PM
On 2006-06-09, > wrote:
> Guessed so. Mostly to do with the power-to-weight ratio. Should at all
> nuclear-powered engines become an option in the future, you might just
> see one such. From what I hear (in power stations), they have a
> impressively high p/w. But then there are the dreadful environmental
> side-effects...

I think there was in the early days a plan for a nuclear powered
missile (which never got off the drawing board). Apparently, it was to
be unshielded - and merely flying the missile over enemy territory for
long enough was enough to kill everyone.

Tater Schuld
June 9th 06, 05:27 PM
"Dylan Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2006-06-09, > wrote:
>> Guessed so. Mostly to do with the power-to-weight ratio. Should at all
>> nuclear-powered engines become an option in the future, you might just
>> see one such. From what I hear (in power stations), they have a
>> impressively high p/w. But then there are the dreadful environmental
>> side-effects...
>
> I think there was in the early days a plan for a nuclear powered
> missile (which never got off the drawing board). Apparently, it was to
> be unshielded - and merely flying the missile over enemy territory for
> long enough was enough to kill everyone.

nuke powered plane. Google "project crowbar" I believe.

biggest issues, takeoff and landing sites and suicide crews. contemplated
robotic flights but still could not find a place to launch from with
radiation leaking out at max thrust on takeoff

Google