PDA

View Full Version : Re: Concorde....

Brian Goodspeed
June 13th 06, 01:27 AM
Miles Aviation designed the aircraft which was re-badged
as the Bell X-1 but somehow the Americans conveniently
forget that!

At 12:54 12 June 2006, Derek Copeland wrote:
>I strongly suspect that the American airline companies
>were leaned on by the US Government not to buy Concorde,
>so that they could wreck the European aircraft industry
>and see off a competitor to their own companies. Same
>as they try to wreck every other countries economies
>in their own interests. So called Globalisation equals
>Americanisation!
>
>Once Great Britain had thriving aircraft industry,
>with companies such as Handley-Page, Avro, Vickers,
>Supermarine, Miles, De Havilland. Now all we do is
>make wings for Airbus, and even that industry is up
>for sale.
>
>I can perfectly well understand why the Arabs in the
>Oil producing countries, which the US also tries to
>dominate, hate the Americans so much!
>
>Derek Copeland

June 15th 06, 02:41 AM
Brian Goodspeed wrote:
> Miles Aviation designed the aircraft which was re-badged
> as the Bell X-1 but somehow the Americans conveniently
> forget that!

Such a bizarre notion deserves to be forgotten.

My father, Stan Smith, was project engineer on the Bell X-1. He and
another pioneer glider pilot, Bob Stanley, headed the design team. They
were talented engineers and aerodynamacists, not "re-badgers." I'm
sorry to see their integrity impugned on R.A.S.

Google