PDA

View Full Version : Uncharted Utah landing places needed

Eric Greenwell
June 14th 06, 11:59 PM
I'm flying at the Auxiliary-powered Sailplane Association Parowan camp
in July. While I have a current FAA database of all charted airports for
use in SeeYou and SeeYou Mobile, I don't have a database of the
(hopefully numerous) uncharted landing areas, such as dry lakes, roads,
ranch and duster strips, and so on. What I'd like is a database of
landing areas suitable for an 18 meter glider, or at least the
runway/landing area width in the comments/description section, but even
a database without this information is useful, because I always check
out a potential landing area before I count on it.

I can use any format SeeYou can use, such as dat (Cambridge) or cup
(SeeYou).

Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

www.motorglider.org - Download "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane
Operation"

Mike I Green
June 15th 06, 08:44 PM
Carl Herold has a data base in excel format of Landing spots in the
Great Basin.

mg
Eric Greenwell wrote:
> I'm flying at the Auxiliary-powered Sailplane Association Parowan camp
> in July. While I have a current FAA database of all charted airports for
> use in SeeYou and SeeYou Mobile, I don't have a database of the
> (hopefully numerous) uncharted landing areas, such as dry lakes, roads,
> ranch and duster strips, and so on. What I'd like is a database of
> landing areas suitable for an 18 meter glider, or at least the
> runway/landing area width in the comments/description section, but even
> a database without this information is useful, because I always check
> out a potential landing area before I count on it.
>
> I can use any format SeeYou can use, such as dat (Cambridge) or cup
> (SeeYou).

Ramy
June 16th 06, 01:43 AM
http://soaring.aerobatics.ws/TP/Ely
http://soaring.aerobatics.ws/TP/Parowan
http://soaring.aerobatics.ws/TP/Parowan_126

Ramy

Mike I Green wrote:
> Carl Herold has a data base in excel format of Landing spots in the
> Great Basin.
>
> mg
> Eric Greenwell wrote:
> > I'm flying at the Auxiliary-powered Sailplane Association Parowan camp
> > in July. While I have a current FAA database of all charted airports for
> > use in SeeYou and SeeYou Mobile, I don't have a database of the
> > (hopefully numerous) uncharted landing areas, such as dry lakes, roads,
> > ranch and duster strips, and so on. What I'd like is a database of
> > landing areas suitable for an 18 meter glider, or at least the
> > runway/landing area width in the comments/description section, but even
> > a database without this information is useful, because I always check
> > out a potential landing area before I count on it.
> >
> > I can use any format SeeYou can use, such as dat (Cambridge) or cup
> > (SeeYou).

Stewart Kissel
June 16th 06, 01:51 PM
Eric-

Particularly when running to the north and south from
Parowan, there are a trememdous amount of pivot arm
alfalfa fields that would be worth considering depending
on the height of the alfalfa and whether it has been
cut or baled. Eastward has more tiger country, and
westward towards Ely has many dry lakes. I am not
certain if anyone has put together a complete data
base for Parowan of these. No doubt this situation
is not all that different from where you fly in Washington.
Going NE up towards Price one can almost always keep
an airport in glide.

Eric Greenwell
June 16th 06, 04:13 PM
Stewart Kissel wrote:
> Eric-
>
> Particularly when running to the north and south from
> Parowan, there are a trememdous amount of pivot arm
> alfalfa fields that would be worth considering depending
> on the height of the alfalfa and whether it has been
> cut or baled. Eastward has more tiger country, and
> westward towards Ely has many dry lakes. I am not
> certain if anyone has put together a complete data
> base for Parowan of these. No doubt this situation
> is not all that different from where you fly in Washington.
> Going NE up towards Price one can almost always keep
> an airport in glide.

Thanks, Stewart. I wasn't expecting anything complete, and it's the kind
of thing that changes yearly, anyway. I'm just hoping that a few pilots
are willing to share uncharted landing places that they've found over
the years of flying in the area. For example, I have a list of about 100
such places for eastern Washington, northeastern Oregon, and western
Idaho, where I fly the most. These are mostly duster, farm, and other
modest private grass or gravel strips, but also some large paved
runways, that are not on the charts, and a few excellent fields and dry
lakes in critical locations.

Having these kinds of strips and landing places in the flight computer
when I arrive at a new area can speed up the learning process, and make
the week there more enjoyable. I don't depend on a landing place I
haven't seen before, but knowing it's there means I can find it and
check it out before I need it.

Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

www.motorglider.org - Download "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane
Operation"

June 16th 06, 05:55 PM
Many areas have this kind of data, compiled by local pilots for
contests or cross-country flying. In the relatively recent past, I've
seen it for Caesar Creek Soaring in Ohio, the Elmira/Dansville, NY
groups, and the Governor's Cup area in NJ/PA/NY.

Yes, the info can change from season to season and year to year, but
there are numerous landing strips not on the sectional charts that
would be good to have in our moving map databases marked as possible
landing sites. Anyone want to take on responsibility for setting up and
maintaining an open-source, Wiki-type database for soaring pilots in
the U.S.?

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"

5Z
June 16th 06, 09:46 PM
wrote:
> Anyone want to take on responsibility for setting up and
> maintaining an open-source, Wiki-type database for soaring pilots in
> the U.S.?

The turnpoint exchange seems to be a good place for that kind of info.

The Colorado databases already have questionable places named with a
"?" at the end of the name. Comment field might contain a date of most
recent observation. I fly over a few such places and make a mental
note for next time that it still "looks OK".

-Tom

June 17th 06, 05:22 PM
Try this link.

http://www.utahbackcountrypilots.org/

Ben Jeffrey

Eric Greenwell wrote:
> I'm flying at the Auxiliary-powered Sailplane Association Parowan camp
> in July. While I have a current FAA database of all charted airports for
> use in SeeYou and SeeYou Mobile, I don't have a database of the
> (hopefully numerous) uncharted landing areas, such as dry lakes, roads,
> ranch and duster strips, and so on. What I'd like is a database of
> landing areas suitable for an 18 meter glider, or at least the
> runway/landing area width in the comments/description section, but even
> a database without this information is useful, because I always check
> out a potential landing area before I count on it.
>
> I can use any format SeeYou can use, such as dat (Cambridge) or cup
> (SeeYou).
>
> --
> Change "netto" to "net" to email me directly
>
> Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA
>
> www.motorglider.org - Download "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane
> Operation"

Google