PDA

View Full Version : Anyone like Mig 29's?

June 16th 06, 02:41 PM
If you like Mig 29's and Van Halen, you might like this video.

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=148646822&s=143441&i=6203031

Hope you enjoy watching.

ps: The explicit warning is not related to this piece.

Stubby
June 16th 06, 03:21 PM
Oh. THAT MIG-29. I like the airplane of that name.

Sorry, but I refuse to install iTunes or any of the Apple crap. It's
too hard to get rid of. But thanks for thinking of me.
William W. ("Bill") Plummer
7 Country Club Dr.
Chelmsford, MA 01824-4505 07
978-256-9570

wrote:
> If you like Mig 29's and Van Halen, you might like this video.
>
> http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=148646822&s=143441&i=6203031
>
> Hope you enjoy watching.
>
> ps: The explicit warning is not related to this piece.

john smith
June 16th 06, 04:12 PM
In article >,
Stubby > wrote:

> Sorry, but I refuse to install iTunes or any of the Apple crap. It's
> too hard to get rid of. But thanks for thinking of me.

ANYTHING that runs on WINDOWS is hard to get rid of!
Get a MAC for a better computing experince. :-))

Kingfish
June 16th 06, 05:24 PM
Awesome aircraft. If I ever manage to scrape together the dough (don't
recall exactly how much, 10-15k?) to go to Moscow and fly in one I'll
post photos. Until then there's always Playstation.

wrote:
> If you like Mig 29's and Van Halen, you might like this video.

Robert M. Gary
June 16th 06, 06:12 PM
wrote:
> If you like Mig 29's and Van Halen, you might like this video.
>
> http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=148646822&s=143441&i=6203031

I didn't want to install whatever it was trying to install. However,
this may be the same thing w/o having to install anything.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3471587485725333993&q=mig29
-Robert

Stubby
June 16th 06, 07:03 PM
Robert M. Gary wrote:
> wrote:
>> If you like Mig 29's and Van Halen, you might like this video.
>>
>> http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=148646822&s=143441&i=6203031
>
> I didn't want to install whatever it was trying to install. However,
> this may be the same thing w/o having to install anything.
> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3471587485725333993&q=mig29

That plays fine without adding software. BUT, it's in Russian.

I believe the Russians were offing an hour of instruction in a MIG-21,
another fine airplane, for $12K in addition to travel and housing. The
account I read said everybody throws up in the first lesson! Sixty
Minutes had a piece on it.

Bob Noel
June 17th 06, 02:27 AM
In article >,
Stubby > wrote:

> Oh. THAT MIG-29. I like the airplane of that name.
>
> Sorry, but I refuse to install iTunes or any of the Apple crap. It's
> too hard to get rid of. But thanks for thinking of me.

That's funny. A windows user complaining about Apple.
(or did I misread your header info?)

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Dave
June 17th 06, 03:00 AM
Nice!

Ever watched this aircraft do the "Cobra " ? .. or a tail slide?....
in your face..... at an airshow?

You IMMEDIATELY get a huge respect for the capabilities of the
aircraft AND the pilots... :)

Dave

On 16 Jun 2006 06:41:21 -0700, wrote:

>If you like Mig 29's and Van Halen, you might like this video.
>
>http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=148646822&s=143441&i=6203031
>
>Hope you enjoy watching.
>
>ps: The explicit warning is not related to this piece.

.Blueskies.
June 17th 06, 11:49 AM
"Dave" > wrote in message ...
> Nice!
>
> Ever watched this aircraft do the "Cobra " ? .. or a tail slide?....
> in your face..... at an airshow?
>
> You IMMEDIATELY get a huge respect for the capabilities of the
> aircraft AND the pilots... :)
>
> Dave

And Russian aerospace capabilities...

Matt Barrow
June 17th 06, 01:44 PM
".Blueskies." > wrote in message
om...

> "Dave" > wrote in message
>> Nice!
>>
>> Ever watched this aircraft do the "Cobra " ? .. or a tail slide?....
>> in your face..... at an airshow?
>>
>> You IMMEDIATELY get a huge respect for the capabilities of the
>> aircraft AND the pilots... :)
>>
>> Dave
>>

> And Russian aerospace capabilities...
At least they have SOMETHING going for them.

Dudley Henriques
June 17th 06, 05:35 PM
Pugechev's Cobra is indeed an impressive maneuver.

It is however, FWIW, considered as simply that by the United States ACM
fighter community.
The maneuver has absolutely no use in the offensive ACM position, and is
considered suicidal if defensive against a hard core shooter.
Executing a Cobra maneuver while defensive with a hard coming and savvy
attacker at long to medium ranges inside the guns cone creates an instant
tracking solution for the attacker. If executed at closer ranges in an
attempt to force overshoot, it leaves the defender at 0 Ps which is
considered suicide by the general fighter community.......including the
Russians BTW :-))
Also, the airspeed range required by the SU27 to execute the Cobra to a 0 Ps
is severely limited at best by g available, which means that while defensive
and hard turning against a well executed guns run by an aggressive shooter,
the Sue has far better options at it's disposal; options that can force an
overshoot while maintaining maneuvering energy which is vital to survival in
a 3 dimensional ACM arena.
The maneuver is highly impressive from the test community's standpoint as a
demonstration of pitch authority through high angle of attack. Also it
verifies a high degree of inlet flow capability at high alpha for both the
Sue and the Mig 29.
Along this line, it should be noted that the limiter has to be disengaged to
perform a Cobra.
But you're right........it IS impressive to watch. The first time I saw it
done it sure as hell got MY attention :-)))))
Dudley Henriques

"Dave" > wrote in message
> Nice!
>
> Ever watched this aircraft do the "Cobra " ? .. or a tail slide?....
> in your face..... at an airshow?
>
> You IMMEDIATELY get a huge respect for the capabilities of the
> aircraft AND the pilots... :)
>
> Dave
>

> On 16 Jun 2006 06:41:21 -0700, wrote:
>
>>If you like Mig 29's and Van Halen, you might like this video.
>>
>>http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=148646822&s=143441&i=6203031
>>
>>Hope you enjoy watching.
>>
>>ps: The explicit warning is not related to this piece.

Dave
June 18th 06, 01:27 AM
Correct Dudley!

As an ACM manouver, it's not.... U would be toast..

I have seen a lot of "cool" stuff at airshows, but his "Cobra" went
WAY off the cool scale!..

And then watching that BIG jet falling backwards at a few hundred feet
alt....

There must be a audible "clicking" sound when this dude walks past...
:)

Cheers!

Dave

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 16:35:24 GMT, "Dudley Henriques"
> wrote:

>Pugechev's Cobra is indeed an impressive maneuver.
>
>It is however, FWIW, considered as simply that by the United States ACM
>fighter community.
>The maneuver has absolutely no use in the offensive ACM position, and is
>considered suicidal if defensive against a hard core shooter.
>Executing a Cobra maneuver while defensive with a hard coming and savvy
>attacker at long to medium ranges inside the guns cone creates an instant
>tracking solution for the attacker. If executed at closer ranges in an
>attempt to force overshoot, it leaves the defender at 0 Ps which is
>considered suicide by the general fighter community.......including the
>Russians BTW :-))
>Also, the airspeed range required by the SU27 to execute the Cobra to a 0 Ps
>is severely limited at best by g available, which means that while defensive
>and hard turning against a well executed guns run by an aggressive shooter,
>the Sue has far better options at it's disposal; options that can force an
>overshoot while maintaining maneuvering energy which is vital to survival in
>a 3 dimensional ACM arena.
>The maneuver is highly impressive from the test community's standpoint as a
>demonstration of pitch authority through high angle of attack. Also it
>verifies a high degree of inlet flow capability at high alpha for both the
>Sue and the Mig 29.
>Along this line, it should be noted that the limiter has to be disengaged to
>perform a Cobra.
>But you're right........it IS impressive to watch. The first time I saw it
>done it sure as hell got MY attention :-)))))
>Dudley Henriques
>
>"Dave" > wrote in message
>> Nice!
>>
>> Ever watched this aircraft do the "Cobra " ? .. or a tail slide?....
>> in your face..... at an airshow?
>>
>> You IMMEDIATELY get a huge respect for the capabilities of the
>> aircraft AND the pilots... :)
>>
>> Dave
>>

>> On 16 Jun 2006 06:41:21 -0700, wrote:
>>
>>>If you like Mig 29's and Van Halen, you might like this video.
>>>
>>>http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=148646822&s=143441&i=6203031
>>>
>>>Hope you enjoy watching.
>>>
>>>ps: The explicit warning is not related to this piece.

Dudley Henriques
June 18th 06, 02:30 AM
I haven't heard if Vicktor is still with Sukoi, but he is respected by all
as one of the world's better test pilots.
I was privileged to be included in on the early test flights of the F14A at
Navy Strike Aircraft Test Directorate at Pax River NAS in the U.S. During
this period, one of the Grumman test pilots, Chuck Sewell, was doing high
alpha tests in the Turkey over Long Island Sound. We saw some very
interesting film at Navy TPS from these flights.
Chuck made some extremely high pitch rate inputs on the Tomcat during the
tests that came very close to duplicating the Cobra.......but not quite!! A
highly prized bottle of Jack Daniels goes to the Sue and the Mig 29 on this
one :-)))
Dudley Henriques

"Dave" > wrote in message
> Correct Dudley!
>
> As an ACM manouver, it's not.... U would be toast..
>
> I have seen a lot of "cool" stuff at airshows, but his "Cobra" went
> WAY off the cool scale!..
>
> And then watching that BIG jet falling backwards at a few hundred feet
> alt....
>
> There must be a audible "clicking" sound when this dude walks past...
> :)
>
> Cheers!
>
> Dave
>

> On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 16:35:24 GMT, "Dudley Henriques"
> > wrote:
>
>>Pugechev's Cobra is indeed an impressive maneuver.
>>
>>It is however, FWIW, considered as simply that by the United States ACM
>>fighter community.
>>The maneuver has absolutely no use in the offensive ACM position, and is
>>considered suicidal if defensive against a hard core shooter.
>>Executing a Cobra maneuver while defensive with a hard coming and savvy
>>attacker at long to medium ranges inside the guns cone creates an instant
>>tracking solution for the attacker. If executed at closer ranges in an
>>attempt to force overshoot, it leaves the defender at 0 Ps which is
>>considered suicide by the general fighter community.......including the
>>Russians BTW :-))
>>Also, the airspeed range required by the SU27 to execute the Cobra to a 0
>>Ps
>>is severely limited at best by g available, which means that while
>>defensive
>>and hard turning against a well executed guns run by an aggressive
>>shooter,
>>the Sue has far better options at it's disposal; options that can force an
>>overshoot while maintaining maneuvering energy which is vital to survival
>>in
>>a 3 dimensional ACM arena.
>>The maneuver is highly impressive from the test community's standpoint as
>>demonstration of pitch authority through high angle of attack. Also it
>>verifies a high degree of inlet flow capability at high alpha for both the
>>Sue and the Mig 29.
>>Along this line, it should be noted that the limiter has to be disengaged
>>perform a Cobra.
>>But you're right........it IS impressive to watch. The first time I saw it
>>done it sure as hell got MY attention :-)))))
>>Dudley Henriques
>>
>>"Dave" > wrote in message
>>> Nice!
>>>
>>> Ever watched this aircraft do the "Cobra " ? .. or a tail slide?....
>>> in your face..... at an airshow?
>>>
>>> You IMMEDIATELY get a huge respect for the capabilities of the
>>> aircraft AND the pilots... :)
>>>
>>> Dave

Kingfish
June 19th 06, 07:00 PM
Dudley Henriques wrote:
>>> During this period, one of the Grumman test pilots, Chuck Sewell, was doing high alpha tests in the Turkey over Long Island Sound. We saw some very interesting film at Navy TPS from these flights. Chuck made some extremely high pitch rate inputs on the Tomcat during the tests that came very close to duplicating the Cobra.......but not quite!! <<<

Would this fellow be the unfortunate Tomcat test pilot that punched out
on final during a test flight? I don't recall the exact details, but I
saw a program a while back on the development of the Tomcat. One of the
preproduction aircraft was on final to a Long Island airport (Bethpage?
Calverton? Gabreski?) and had a flameout IIRC. Both pilots ejected and
one was lost.

Dudley Henriques
June 19th 06, 08:42 PM
Wasn't Chuck. Chuck went down mysteriously during a takeoff in Connecticut
in a privately owned Grumman Avenger some years back. We still don't have a
definitive answer on what happened to him that day. Best guess is that it
was contaminated fuel.
Your incident sounds like the two Bob's to me. On the second Turkey flight
out of Calverton, Bob's Miller and Smythe had a hydraulic meltdown. They
blew the gear down with the bottles but lost primary hydraulics on final and
punched just as the Turkey headed for the weeds. Both made it!
Miller was killed in 72 at Pax before the airshow.
Dudley Henriques

"Kingfish" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Would this fellow be the unfortunate Tomcat test pilot that punched out
> on final during a test flight? I don't recall the exact details, but I
> saw a program a while back on the development of the Tomcat. One of the
> preproduction aircraft was on final to a Long Island airport (Bethpage?
> Calverton? Gabreski?) and had a flameout IIRC. Both pilots ejected and
> one was lost.

Matt Whiting
June 19th 06, 11:09 PM
Dudley Henriques wrote:

> Wasn't Chuck. Chuck went down mysteriously during a takeoff in Connecticut
> in a privately owned Grumman Avenger some years back. We still don't have a
> definitive answer on what happened to him that day. Best guess is that it
> was contaminated fuel.
> Your incident sounds like the two Bob's to me. On the second Turkey flight
> out of Calverton, Bob's Miller and Smythe had a hydraulic meltdown. They
> blew the gear down with the bottles but lost primary hydraulics on final and
> punched just as the Turkey headed for the weeds. Both made it!
> Miller was killed in 72 at Pax before the airshow.
> Dudley Henriques

I think I've got that one on a video. Didn't the one pilot and chute go
through the fireball? Looked like WAY too close for comfort.

Matt

Dudley Henriques
June 19th 06, 11:34 PM
They both punched out almost simultaneously as the aircraft gave way in
downward pitch to the loss of the primary hydraulic system. I wasn't there,
but they told me it was damn close.
I lost a friend in almost the same scenario when Joe Howard with the
Thunderbirds punched out of his F4 after a similar failure during the
Transpo show at Dulles in 72. Joe's plane went in right ahead of him and he
was sucked into the fireball. He never had a chance.
It's a tough business.
Dudley Henriques

"Matt Whiting" > wrote in message
> Dudley Henriques wrote:
>
>> Wasn't Chuck. Chuck went down mysteriously during a takeoff in
>> Connecticut in a privately owned Grumman Avenger some years back. We
>> still don't have a definitive answer on what happened to him that day.
>> Best guess is that it was contaminated fuel.
>> Your incident sounds like the two Bob's to me. On the second Turkey
>> flight out of Calverton, Bob's Miller and Smythe had a hydraulic
>> meltdown. They blew the gear down with the bottles but lost primary
>> hydraulics on final and punched just as the Turkey headed for the weeds.
>> Both made it!
>> Miller was killed in 72 at Pax before the airshow.
>> Dudley Henriques
>
> I think I've got that one on a video. Didn't the one pilot and chute go
> through the fireball? Looked like WAY too close for comfort.
>

> Matt

Matt Whiting
June 20th 06, 01:03 AM
Dudley Henriques wrote:
> They both punched out almost simultaneously as the aircraft gave way in
> downward pitch to the loss of the primary hydraulic system. I wasn't there,
> but they told me it was damn close.
> I lost a friend in almost the same scenario when Joe Howard with the
> Thunderbirds punched out of his F4 after a similar failure during the
> Transpo show at Dulles in 72. Joe's plane went in right ahead of him and he
> was sucked into the fireball. He never had a chance.
> It's a tough business.

Yes, that is my recollection from the video. I believe one of them went
briefly through the fireball and the other narrowly missed it. I don't
think they we more than 200' high when they punched out and likely less
than that.

Matt

Google