PDA

View Full Version : Livery

June 17th 06, 09:46 AM
Any links to educative material on livery design and implementation
would be welcome, thanks a lot. Intrigued to know how all the fancy
modern livery gets actually painted on the fuselage... or are stickers
used?

Ramapriya

Peter Duniho
June 17th 06, 10:21 AM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Any links to educative material on livery design and implementation
> would be welcome, thanks a lot. Intrigued to know how all the fancy
> modern livery gets actually painted on the fuselage... or are stickers
> used?

I've heard of both. At the widebody assembly plant here in Everett, WA,
Boeing has some paint hangars in which they carefully paint the airplanes to
the customer's specifications. It's quite a complicated process,
apparently, designed to get just the right amount of paint (not too much
weight, but enough to be durable) and of course just the right image.

It's possible that if you look up information on the Boeing assembly plant
tour (sorry, don't have it handy, but it shouldn't be hard to find with
Google), they might mention some details.

Of course, not everyone has their airplanes painted at the Boeing widebody
assembly plant. That's just one example of how commercial airliners get
painted.

It sounds like you're asking about commercial airliners, but of course
smaller airplanes get painted too. And again, techniques run the gamut, but
paint is the most common. The basic ideas are all simple -- prep the
surface, mask, paint, repeat if necessary with different masks to get
different color designs -- but of course the actual work can be quite
detailed and complex.

I don't know which is easier (assuming you have the necessary equipment).
On the one hand, the big commercial airliners are even more complex than
small airplanes, and prep and application is obviously harder. On the other
hand, the standard of quality might be less on an airliner, at least with
respect to getting the design just right, since people aren't looking at the
paint job from a distance of 12 inches the way they are with a small
airplane. :)

Pete

June 17th 06, 10:35 AM
Peter Duniho wrote:
> > wrote in message
> I don't know which is easier (assuming you have the necessary equipment).
> On the one hand, the big commercial airliners are even more complex than
> small airplanes, and prep and application is obviously harder. On the other
> hand, the standard of quality might be less on an airliner, at least with
> respect to getting the design just right, since people aren't looking at the
> paint job from a distance of 12 inches the way they are with a small
> airplane. :)
>
> Pete

Thanks a lot for your time and info, Pete. I did try a Teoma search
earlier but didn't come up with much info as such; my keywords were
probably not the optimal.

What made me ask was the seemingly little time that airlines take in
changing liveries to match local/international events, promos and
what-have-you! Emirates aircraft are particularly worth watching out
for. There's never a time when Dubai doesn't have an exhibition or sale
fest going, and never a time when there isn't the appropriate livery on
the ubiquitous aircraft here :)

Ramapriya

C. Massey
June 17th 06, 12:46 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Peter Duniho wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>> I don't know which is easier (assuming you have the necessary equipment).
>> On the one hand, the big commercial airliners are even more complex than
>> small airplanes, and prep and application is obviously harder. On the
>> other
>> hand, the standard of quality might be less on an airliner, at least with
>> respect to getting the design just right, since people aren't looking at
>> the
>> paint job from a distance of 12 inches the way they are with a small
>> airplane. :)
>>
>> Pete
>

> Thanks a lot for your time and info, Pete. I did try a Teoma search
> earlier but didn't come up with much info as such; my keywords were
> probably not the optimal.
>
> What made me ask was the seemingly little time that airlines take in
> changing liveries to match local/international events, promos and
> what-have-you! Emirates aircraft are particularly worth watching out
> for. There's never a time when Dubai doesn't have an exhibition or sale
> fest going, and never a time when there isn't the appropriate livery on
> the ubiquitous aircraft here :)

This feller ain't from around these parts, is he?

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0624-2, 06/15/2006
Tested on: 6/17/2006 6:46:44 AM

Jim Logajan
June 17th 06, 06:00 PM
"C. Massey" > wrote:
> This feller ain't from around these parts, is he?

Usenet is a global network. You ain't from around these parts either. ;-)

john smith
June 17th 06, 07:38 PM
In article om>,
wrote:

> Any links to educative material on livery design and implementation
> would be welcome, thanks a lot. Intrigued to know how all the fancy
> modern livery gets actually painted on the fuselage... or are stickers
> used?

Google videos has several AirBus assembly videos.
Look for the one on the A380. Towards the end you will watch as they use
various platforms to spray the colors.

C. Massey
June 17th 06, 10:47 PM
"Jim Logajan" > wrote in message
.. .
> "C. Massey" > wrote:
>> This feller ain't from around these parts, is he?
>
> Usenet is a global network. You ain't from around these parts either. ;-)

That's where *you* are wrong! I *am* from these parts and have been for
almost all of my life! :P

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0624-2, 06/15/2006
Tested on: 6/17/2006 4:47:28 PM

Flyingmonk
June 17th 06, 10:53 PM
C. Massey wrote:
> "Jim Logajan" > wrote in message
> .. .
> > "C. Massey" > wrote:
> >> This feller ain't from around these parts, is he?
> >
> > Usenet is a global network. You ain't from around these parts either. ;-)
>

> That's where *you* are wrong! I *am* from these parts and have been for
> almost all of my life! :P

Actually, Ram or Ramesh is probably from India (o'er there yonder,
b'hind them tha hills...) <g>

Monk

June 18th 06, 04:37 AM
Flyingmonk wrote:

> Actually, Ram or Ramesh is probably from India (o'er there yonder, b'hind them tha
> hills...) <g>
>
> Monk

Just for the record, I'm from this little southern Indian place called
Bangalore, working presently in Dubai, UAE :)

Ramapriya

C. Massey
June 18th 06, 08:52 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Flyingmonk wrote:
>>
>> Actually, Ram or Ramesh is probably from India (o'er there yonder, b'hind
>> them tha
>> hills...) <g>
>>
>> Monk
>

> Just for the record, I'm from this little southern Indian place called
> Bangalore, working presently in Dubai, UAE :)
>
> Ramapriya

I'm just havin' a little fun... Your English is too proper for us American's
! :)

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0624-2, 06/15/2006
Tested on: 6/18/2006 2:52:39 PM

June 19th 06, 05:18 AM
C. Massey wrote:

> I'm just havin' a little fun... Your English is too proper for us American's ! :)

No probs, Massey :) Not being native English, I know my limitations
with it. And I think I can guess what you meant by "too proper", but
that again is because I was just schooled in English than having gotten
to use it in the true colloquial sense of the language. I dare say that
my problem wouldn't be dissimilar to other non-native English users who
employ English for communication, unless he/she reads a lot of
literature, which I haven't.

Btw, my American boss at the workplace often quips that my writing is
wacky :))

Ramapriya

Larry Dighera
June 19th 06, 04:12 PM
On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 19:52:41 GMT, "C. Massey" >
wrote in >::

>Your English is too proper for us American's

Speak for yourself.

As a second language, his English usage is exemplary.

Your evident disdain for proper English diction may be a regional
bias, as evidenced by our current president. Or perhaps it is your
lack of education and/or intelligence that you have publicly revealed
in this worldwide forum.

Either way, It would be interesting to know how many foreign languages
you have mastered.

Personally, I find your unenlightened comments offensive, and if you
actually held an airmans certificate, they would demean your fellows.

Flyingmonk
June 19th 06, 04:19 PM
Larry Dighera wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 19:52:41 GMT, "C. Massey" >
> wrote in >::
>
> >Your English is too proper for us American's
>
> Speak for yourself.
>
> As a second language, his English usage is exemplary.
>
> Your evident disdain for proper English diction may be a regional
> bias, as evidenced by our current president. Or perhaps it is your
> lack of education and/or intelligence that you have publicly revealed
> in this worldwide forum.
>
> Either way, It would be interesting to know how many foreign languages
> you have mastered.
>
> Personally, I find your unenlightened comments offensive, and if you
> actually held an airmans certificate, they would demean your fellows.

Larry, sometimes you can be way... too serious. <g>

Monk

Matt Whiting
June 19th 06, 11:07 PM
Larry Dighera wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 19:52:41 GMT, "C. Massey" >
> wrote in >::
>

>>Your English is too proper for us American's
>

> Speak for yourself.
>
> As a second language, his English usage is exemplary.
>
> Your evident disdain for proper English diction may be a regional
> bias, as evidenced by our current president. Or perhaps it is your
> lack of education and/or intelligence that you have publicly revealed
> in this worldwide forum.
>
> Either way, It would be interesting to know how many foreign languages
> you have mastered.
>
> Personally, I find your unenlightened comments offensive, and if you
> actually held an airmans certificate, they would demean your fellows.

How is saying "Your English is too proper" an insult? I read it just
the opposite. I think it is a compliment.

Matt

C. Massey
June 19th 06, 11:20 PM
"Larry Dighera" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 19:52:41 GMT, "C. Massey" >
> wrote in >::
>
>>Your English is too proper for us American's
>
> Speak for yourself.
>
> As a second language, his English usage is exemplary.
>
> Your evident disdain for proper English diction may be a regional
> bias, as evidenced by our current president. Or perhaps it is your
> lack of education and/or intelligence that you have publicly revealed
> in this worldwide forum.
>
> Either way, It would be interesting to know how many foreign languages
> you have mastered.
>
> Personally, I find your unenlightened comments offensive, and if you
> actually held an airmans certificate, they would demean your fellows.

Chill out dickhead...

That was a compliment to him and had absolutely nothing to do with you.

Go finish off your bottle...

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0625-1, 06/19/2006
Tested on: 6/19/2006 5:20:03 PM

Larry Dighera
June 20th 06, 03:17 PM
On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 22:20:03 GMT, "C. Massey" >
wrote in >::

>Chill out dickhead...

Ah. Deprecation and defamation, the last refuge of the unarmed man.

The eloquence and information content of your contributions to this
noble newsgroup are exceed only by the dignity and professionalism
they confer. :-(

C. Massey
June 20th 06, 03:52 PM
"Larry Dighera" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 22:20:03 GMT, "C. Massey" >
> wrote in >::
>
>>Chill out dickhead...
>
> Ah. Deprecation and defamation, the last refuge of the unarmed man.
>
> The eloquence and information content of your contributions to this
> noble newsgroup are exceed only by the dignity and professionalism
> they confer. :-(

To bad a fellow from Bangalore (probably speaking English as one of several
second languages) can display a better understanding of the English language
than you, I'm assuming is an American. You are trying to project proper
English, but again, you failed.

At is a sad day when someone can't get through a day without their bottle...
And so early in the day...

Bye Larry.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0625-1, 06/19/2006
Tested on: 6/20/2006 9:52:45 AM

Richard Riley
June 20th 06, 11:18 PM
wrote:
> Flyingmonk wrote:
> >
> > Actually, Ram or Ramesh is probably from India (o'er there yonder, b'hind them tha
> > hills...) <g>
> >
> > Monk
>

> Just for the record, I'm from this little southern Indian place called
> Bangalore, working presently in Dubai, UAE :)
>
> Ramapriya

Ah, yes, Bangalore, Maine. Very pretty place.

In this photo

http://www.ejectejecteject.com/archives/berkut%20falcon.jpg

the top airplane is painted, the bottom airplane is done up with
adhesive vinyl.

Most aircraft color is paint, I've only seen a couple that are vinyl.
But it's becomming more common.

Google