PDA

View Full Version : Flare vs flair

Bob Gardner
June 25th 06, 09:03 PM
Please understand that I am a geezer, and getting crotchety in my old age.

I have Summit Aviation's CD-ROM that includes just about every piece of
paper issued by the FAA...regulations, AIM, PTS, ACs, etc etc etc. I have
searched this resource for two words: flair and flair. My Webster's Ninth
had already told me that "flair" meant "a skill or ability to appreciate or
make good use of something," as in "a flair for the dramatic," or "a
uniquely attractive quality," as in "fashionable dresses with a flair all
their own." I got nine hits from the search engine; the Glider Pilot's
Handbook uses both spellings in succeeding paragraphs, believe it or not.
The Sport Pilot PTS for powered parachutes also uses flair. The rest of the
hits were in reports of incidents or maintenance written by pilots or
mechanics where mis-spellings can be kind of forgiving.

I got 427 hits on "flare," including Parts 61, 91, and 121. Some of the
hits were in the context of flare pots to outline landing surfaces or
flaring the end of a tube such as a fuel line, but most dealt with the
process of landing.

To make my reclining years more comfortable, please stop using the word
"flair" when discussing landings.

Thanks.

Bob Gardner

Stefan
June 25th 06, 09:14 PM
Bob Gardner schrieb:

> To make my reclining years more comfortable, please stop using the word
> "flair" when discussing landings.

Actually, it helps a lot to have a flair for landings.

Stefan

Vaughn Simon
June 25th 06, 09:22 PM
"Bob Gardner" > wrote in message
. ..
> I have Summit Aviation's CD-ROM that includes just about every piece of paper
> issued by the FAA...regulations, AIM, PTS, ACs, etc etc etc. I have searched
> this resource for two words: flair and flair. My Webster's Ninth had already
> told me that "flair" meant "a skill or ability to appreciate or make good use
> of something," as in "a flair for the dramatic," or "a uniquely attractive
> quality," as in "fashionable dresses with a flair all their own."

But Bob... you have only made half of your case. As you say, the dictionary
definition of "flair" includes nothing about landing an airplane, but neither
does the definition for "flare". Since Part 1 of the FARs (definitions) seems
to be silent on the issue, how are we to know which spelling is correct?

I am so confused...
Vaughn

Stefan
June 25th 06, 10:27 PM
Vaughn Simon schrieb:

> But Bob... you have only made half of your case. As you say, the dictionary
> definition of "flair" includes nothing about landing an airplane, but neither
> does the definition for "flare".

Depends on the dictionary. From the OED (1993):

flare v. [Of unknown etymology.]

d. intr. To make the glide path of an aircraft about to land gradually
less steep until it is parallel to the ground; to raise the nose of an
aircraft when doing this; also trans., to cause (an aircraft) to descend
in this way. Also with out.

flare-out n.

2. Aeronaut. A lessening of the steepness of the glide path of an
aircraft about to land.

(Both with references.)

Stefan

Andrew Gideon
June 25th 06, 10:38 PM
On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 22:14:30 +0200, Stefan wrote:

> Actually, it helps a lot to have a flair for landings.

I like to flare with flair when I've passengers on board.

- Andrew

Newps
June 25th 06, 11:48 PM
Bob Gardner wrote:

> To make my reclining years more comfortable, please stop using the word
> "flair" when discussing landings.

Oh no. Not until people stop using loose for lose.

Andrew Gideon
June 26th 06, 12:13 AM
On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 16:48:35 -0600, Newps wrote:

> Bob Gardner wrote:
>

>> To make my reclining years more comfortable, please stop using the word
>> "flair" when discussing landings.
>
> Oh no. Not until people stop using loose for lose.

Or "its" for "it's" or "there" for "their" or "they're". Or "height" for
"altitude". Or "think" for "believe". Or "Web" for "Internet". Or
"insane eccentricity" for "precision".

- Andrew

Bob Gardner
June 26th 06, 12:51 AM
Thanks, Stefan! I thought that Webster's definition "widening or spreading
out," when rotated 90 degrees, described a downward trajectory, then a level
portion.

Bob

"Stefan" > wrote in message
> Vaughn Simon schrieb:
>
>> But Bob... you have only made half of your case. As you say, the
>> dictionary definition of "flair" includes nothing about landing an
>> airplane, but neither does the definition for "flare".
>
> Depends on the dictionary. From the OED (1993):
>

> flare v. [Of unknown etymology.]
>
> d. intr. To make the glide path of an aircraft about to land gradually
> less steep until it is parallel to the ground; to raise the nose of an
> aircraft when doing this; also trans., to cause (an aircraft) to descend
> in this way. Also with out.
>

> flare-out n.
>
> 2. Aeronaut. A lessening of the steepness of the glide path of an aircraft
> about to land.
>

> (Both with references.)
>
> Stefan

Jim Macklin
June 26th 06, 01:14 AM
Speaking of Nobel Prizes, how about two to give to Tutu too?

"Andrew Gideon" > wrote in message
| On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 16:48:35 -0600, Newps wrote:
|

| > Bob Gardner wrote:
| >

| >> To make my reclining years more comfortable, please
stop using the word
| >> "flair" when discussing landings.
| >
| > Oh no. Not until people stop using loose for lose.
|
| Or "its" for "it's" or "there" for "their" or "they're".
Or "height" for
| "altitude". Or "think" for "believe". Or "Web" for
"Internet". Or
| "insane eccentricity" for "precision".
|
| - Andrew

Orval Fairbairn
June 26th 06, 02:10 AM
In article >,
"Bob Gardner" > wrote:

> Please understand that I am a geezer, and getting crotchety in my old age.

(stuff cut)

> To make my reclining years more comfortable, please stop using the word
> "flair" when discussing landings.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bob Gardner

As for me, I would have to say that it takes a lot of flair to flare out
into a good landing. ;>)

Orval Fairbairn
June 26th 06, 02:12 AM
In article >,
Newps > wrote:

> Bob Gardner wrote:
>

> > To make my reclining years more comfortable, please stop using the word
> > "flair" when discussing landings.
>
> Oh no. Not until people stop using loose for lose.

They just have to have loose brains before they can lose their minds. ;>)

BTIZ
June 26th 06, 02:33 AM
obviously the technical editor for those publications failed in his work and
should be fired

"Bob Gardner" > wrote in message
. ..
> Please understand that I am a geezer, and getting crotchety in my old age.
>
> I have Summit Aviation's CD-ROM that includes just about every piece of
> paper issued by the FAA...regulations, AIM, PTS, ACs, etc etc etc. I have
> searched this resource for two words: flair and flair. My Webster's Ninth
> had already told me that "flair" meant "a skill or ability to appreciate
> or make good use of something," as in "a flair for the dramatic," or "a
> uniquely attractive quality," as in "fashionable dresses with a flair all
> their own." I got nine hits from the search engine; the Glider Pilot's
> Handbook uses both spellings in succeeding paragraphs, believe it or not.
> The Sport Pilot PTS for powered parachutes also uses flair. The rest of
> the hits were in reports of incidents or maintenance written by pilots or
> mechanics where mis-spellings can be kind of forgiving.
>
> I got 427 hits on "flare," including Parts 61, 91, and 121. Some of the
> hits were in the context of flare pots to outline landing surfaces or
> flaring the end of a tube such as a fuel line, but most dealt with the
> process of landing.
>
> To make my reclining years more comfortable, please stop using the word
> "flair" when discussing landings.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bob Gardner

Dylan Smith
June 26th 06, 09:33 AM
On 2006-06-25, Newps > wrote:
> Bob Gardner wrote:
>
>> To make my reclining years more comfortable, please stop using the word
>> "flair" when discussing landings.
>
> Oh no. Not until people stop using loose for lose.

Or alot instead of a lot (you wouldn't write 'alittle' would you?)

Quilljar
June 26th 06, 11:48 AM
> Or "its" for "it's" or "there" for "their" or "they're". Or "height"
> for "altitude". Or "think" for "believe". Or "Web" for "Internet".
> Or "insane eccentricity" for "precision".
>
> - Andrew

Actually, more people use it's when they mean its (possessive) :-)

--
Cheers Quilly

For four good books to read look at...
http://www.quilljar.btinternet.co.uk/covers.htm
Buy three or four altogether and get economy postage.

Orval Fairbairn
June 26th 06, 02:58 PM
In article >,
"Quilljar" > wrote:

> > Or "its" for "it's" or "there" for "their" or "they're". Or "height"
> > for "altitude". Or "think" for "believe". Or "Web" for "Internet".
> > Or "insane eccentricity" for "precision".
> >
> > - Andrew
>

> Actually, more people use it's when they mean its (possessive) :-)

I think that a lot of the problem arises from the proliferation of voice
recognition technology and the failure to proofread.

.Blueskies.
June 26th 06, 04:00 PM
"Orval Fairbairn" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Bob Gardner" > wrote:
>
>> Please understand that I am a geezer, and getting crotchety in my old age.
>>
> (stuff cut)
>
>> To make my reclining years more comfortable, please stop using the word
>> "flair" when discussing landings.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Bob Gardner
>
> As for me, I would have to say that it takes a lot of flair to flare out
> into a good landing. ;>)

Yes, I like to flare with flair! ;-o

Peter R.
June 26th 06, 04:46 PM
Newps > wrote:

> Oh no. Not until people stop using loose for lose.

Hanger for hangar or petals for pedals. :)

--
Peter

Quilljar
June 26th 06, 06:00 PM
Peter R. wrote:
> Newps > wrote:
>
> > Oh no. Not until people stop using loose for lose.
>
> Hanger for hangar or petals for pedals. :)

Ah! You mean 'Your lips are like petals - bicycle petals' :-)

--
Cheers Quilly

For four good books to read look at...
http://www.quilljar.btinternet.co.uk/covers.htm
Buy three or four altogether and get economy postage.

Orval Fairbairn
June 26th 06, 06:17 PM
In article >,
"Quilljar" > wrote:

> Peter R. wrote:
> > Newps > wrote:
> >
> > > Oh no. Not until people stop using loose for lose.
> >
> > Hanger for hangar or petals for pedals. :)
>

> Ah! You mean 'Your lips are like petals - bicycle petals' :-)

How about "peddles"?

"I used to pedal flower peddles while petaling my bicycle around town."

Montblack
June 26th 06, 06:42 PM
("Quilljar" wrote)
> Actually, more people use it's when they mean its (possessive) :-)

I'm seeing that fewer and fewer, these days.

Montblack

gatt
June 26th 06, 06:44 PM
"Newps" > wrote in message

>> To make my reclining years more comfortable, please stop using the word
>> "flair" when discussing landings.
>
> Oh no. Not until people stop using loose for lose.

I had a journalism and media ethics professor who habitually mispelled it.
His students habitually pointed it out to him. In light of that, he admitted
at the beginning of the term that he'd probably mispell "lose" at least once
during the term, and that it was okay to correct him on it even though it
wouldn't make any difference.

The easy way to remember it is " 'Lose' is a four-letter word."

-c

Skywise
June 26th 06, 09:26 PM
Orval Fairbairn > wrote in news:orfairbairn-
:

> In article >,
> "Quilljar" > wrote:
>
>> > Or "its" for "it's" or "there" for "their" or "they're". Or "height"
>> > for "altitude". Or "think" for "believe". Or "Web" for "Internet".
>> > Or "insane eccentricity" for "precision".
>> >
>> > - Andrew
>>

>> Actually, more people use it's when they mean its (possessive) :-)
>
> I think that a lot of the problem arises from the proliferation of voice
> recognition technology and the failure to proofread.

I'll agree to that one. I peruse several science related
news web sites and I have been seeing an alarming amount
of typographical and grammatical errors. Some I can readily
tell are caused by errors in electronically scanning printed
text. The rest could be explained by what you propose, voice
recognition.

In all cases, there is a definate lack of proofreading among
these 'professional' writers. I thought they went to school?

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?

.Blueskies.
June 26th 06, 10:16 PM
"Montblack" > wrote in message ...
> ("Quilljar" wrote)
>> Actually, more people use it's when they mean its (possessive) :-)
>

> I'm seeing that fewer and fewer, these days.
>

> Montblack

It's true, I'm seeing its use less and less...

Stubby
June 27th 06, 12:50 AM
Andrew Gideon wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 16:48:35 -0600, Newps wrote:
>

>> Bob Gardner wrote:
>>

>>> To make my reclining years more comfortable, please stop using the word
>>> "flair" when discussing landings.
>> Oh no. Not until people stop using loose for lose.
>
> Or "its" for "it's" or "there" for "their" or "they're". Or "height" for
> "altitude". Or "think" for "believe". Or "Web" for "Internet". Or
> "insane eccentricity" for "precision".

And many persons use "since" when they mean "because". The former
denotes a time period (e.g., since WWII) whereas the latter speaks of
causality (e.g., because he broke the law he was punished).

Google