PDA

View Full Version : Stick grips

John Nicholson
July 18th 03, 10:48 PM
Hi

I am building a Lancair 360 and have reached that point in construction
where I need to take a decision on the best stick grips. I have two
questions on which I'd welcome your views?

(1) What is the best configuration? That is, what should and shouldn't be
on the grip?

(2) Any thoughts on which is the best commercially available grip that meets
the criteria for (1) above?

Thanks

John

B2431
July 18th 03, 11:56 PM
>(1) What is the best configuration? That is, what should and shouldn't be
>on the grip?

I do believe your hand should be on the grip.

Dan, U. S. Air Force, retired

Ernest Christley
July 19th 03, 02:02 AM
John Nicholson wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am building a Lancair 360 and have reached that point in construction
> where I need to take a decision on the best stick grips. I have two
> questions on which I'd welcome your views?
>
> (1) What is the best configuration? That is, what should and shouldn't be
> on the grip?
>
> (2) Any thoughts on which is the best commercially available grip that meets
> the criteria for (1) above?
>
> Thanks
>
> John

And to piggyback on John for just a second...

I see these grips advertised for upwards of $100. What do you get for $100?

My stick is a piece of 4130 tube. Well, my airplane's stick is a piece
of tube. Mine is made of a somewhat softer material. Be that as it
may, I don't see where these guys get the idea that I'd pay $100 for a
couple switches and a piece of plastic. My plan has been to make a mold
of my grip with some playdough and then duplicate it in a piece of
hardwood. Another option is to go with a logiteck joystick grip, but I
have a lot of trouble finding one that fits my hand.

--
----Because I can----
http://www.ernest.isa-geek.org/

Jerry Wass
July 19th 03, 05:38 AM
I put a rubber bicycle handlebar grip(kinda hard to find these days,everything's
plastic) and squeezed a push to talk switch into the existing hole in the grip.

John Nicholson wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am building a Lancair 360 and have reached that point in construction
> where I need to take a decision on the best stick grips. I have two
> questions on which I'd welcome your views?
>
> (1) What is the best configuration? That is, what should and shouldn't be
> on the grip?
>
> (2) Any thoughts on which is the best commercially available grip that meets
> the criteria for (1) above?
>
> Thanks
>
> John

guynoir
July 19th 03, 07:49 AM
Here is a picture of an early prototype control stick I designed for a
Graham Lee Nieuport replica:

http://www.eaa292.org/noon_patrol/oct_01/pa130017.jpg

The offset in the stick matches a corresponding convexity in many of the
Noon Patrol members. The stick itself cost me at least $2 for materials
and the only swtich on it will be a velcroed push to talk switch. The
cross section is about 1¼" square with the corners on the top 6"
radiused to ½". It's quite comfortable to hold, there's just something
about wood... What I don't like about "molded to fit your hand
perfectly grips" is that they severely limit your hand positions on the
stick. I fly with two fingers most of the time. Sometimes I choke up
on the stick, sometimes I hold the very tip, sometimes I rest my wrist
against my leg and hold the stick from the side, sometimes from straight
behind, some times left hand, sometimes right hand. For that, a simple
stick works best.

For a Lancair, however, you need to spend at least $100 just because
it's a Lancair.

John Nicholson wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am building a Lancair 360 and have reached that point in construction
> where I need to take a decision on the best stick grips. I have two
> questions on which I'd welcome your views?
>
> (1) What is the best configuration? That is, what should and shouldn't be
> on the grip?
>
> (2) Any thoughts on which is the best commercially available grip that meets
> the criteria for (1) above?
>
> Thanks
>
> John

Del Rawlins
July 19th 03, 11:32 AM
On 18 Jul 2003 08:38 PM, Jerry Wass posted the following:
> I put a rubber bicycle handlebar grip(kinda hard to find these days,
> everything's plastic) and squeezed a push to talk switch into the
> existing hole in the grip.

Motorcycles and ATVs use rubber grips; I believe most of them fit a 7/8"
tube, which just happens to be the size used for the Bearhawk's control
stick. If you buy a set of grips meant for a machine with twist
throttle, one of the grips will have a slightly larger inside diameter
to fit over the throttle tube.

Coincidentally, I am hoping to finish welding on the stick assembly
tomorrow. 8^) The only switches in my control sticks will be for push
to transmit.

Del Rawlins-
Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email.
Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:
http://www.rawlinsbrothers.org/bhfaq/

Jerry Wass
July 19th 03, 06:46 PM
Do I detekt som lamenations in that stick, or did you just hunt fer a crooked tree
branch???Sumpin sexy 'bout the the curvature of that thing, but I can't remember
what it is....or wuz...or used to be---Weighted absolute opinion--Luv-It!!

guynoir wrote:

> Here is a picture of an early prototype control stick I designed for a
> Graham Lee Nieuport replica:
>
> http://www.eaa292.org/noon_patrol/oct_01/pa130017.jpg
>
> The offset in the stick matches a corresponding convexity in many of the
> Noon Patrol members. The stick itself cost me at least $2 for materials
> and the only swtich on it will be a velcroed push to talk switch. The
> cross section is about 1¼" square with the corners on the top 6"
> radiused to ½". It's quite comfortable to hold, there's just something
> about wood... What I don't like about "molded to fit your hand
> perfectly grips" is that they severely limit your hand positions on the
> stick. I fly with two fingers most of the time. Sometimes I choke up
> on the stick, sometimes I hold the very tip, sometimes I rest my wrist
> against my leg and hold the stick from the side, sometimes from straight
> behind, some times left hand, sometimes right hand. For that, a simple
> stick works best.
>
> For a Lancair, however, you need to spend at least $100 just because
> it's a Lancair.
>
> John Nicholson wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I am building a Lancair 360 and have reached that point in construction
> > where I need to take a decision on the best stick grips. I have two
> > questions on which I'd welcome your views?
> >
> > (1) What is the best configuration? That is, what should and shouldn't be
> > on the grip?
> >
> > (2) Any thoughts on which is the best commercially available grip that meets
> > the criteria for (1) above?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > John

Roger Halstead
July 20th 03, 04:50 AM
On 18 Jul 2003 22:56:06 GMT, (B2431) wrote:

>>(1) What is the best configuration? That is, what should and shouldn't be
>>on the grip?
>>

>I do believe your hand should be on the grip.

That's a good start...<:-))

"For me", I want the radio PTT, trim, and autopilot disconnect. There
are maybe some I've missed, but those three are my primary choices.

I plan on making the grip ambidextrous as it would be a bit more
convenient, although less comfortable. There are a number of "Game"
joy sticks that would be ideal for the right hand, but they are very
uncomfortable when used with the left.

The gaming industry got it backwards there...although a right hand one
for the right seat and left for the left seat would be the way to go.

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)

>Dan, U. S. Air Force, retired

Scott VanderVeen
July 20th 03, 05:30 AM
> I plan on making the grip ambidextrous as it would be a bit more
> convenient, although less comfortable. There are a number of "Game"
> joy sticks that would be ideal for the right hand, but they are very
> uncomfortable when used with the left.
>
> The gaming industry got it backwards there...although a right hand one
> for the right seat and left for the left seat would be the way to go.

Like these? I bought a pair (left and right), though I am planning to use
them as a pattern to duplicate them in wood. They are cheap.

http://www.arrow4graphics.com/Vision/Controls/Controls%20part%201/controls1.
htm

Scott V

Andre
July 21st 03, 11:22 AM
At night when I get home I sit in my Sonerai and make engine noises
ocasionally alternated by machine gun fire noises when I press the PTT
button. I think it would be really cool if I could find a device that will
make the machine gun fire noises while I'm doing a beat up of the club
house! I'd like the activation button for that on my stick! :-)
Andre

"Roger Halstead" > wrote in message
> On 18 Jul 2003 22:56:06 GMT, (B2431) wrote:
>
> >>(1) What is the best configuration? That is, what should and shouldn't
be
> >>on the grip?
> >>

> >I do believe your hand should be on the grip.
>
> That's a good start...<:-))
>
> "For me", I want the radio PTT, trim, and autopilot disconnect. There
> are maybe some I've missed, but those three are my primary choices.
>
> I plan on making the grip ambidextrous as it would be a bit more
> convenient, although less comfortable. There are a number of "Game"
> joy sticks that would be ideal for the right hand, but they are very
> uncomfortable when used with the left.
>
> The gaming industry got it backwards there...although a right hand one
> for the right seat and left for the left seat would be the way to go.
>
> Roger Halstead (K8RI EN73 & ARRL Life Member)
> www.rogerhalstead.com
> N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)
>

> >Dan, U. S. Air Force, retired

Big John
July 21st 03, 04:48 PM
Andre

Don't they (or didn't they) make some 'guns' that use propane to make
the gun noise? Seem to recall that method of playing WWI Ace <G>

Talk to Confedrate Air Force (they changed their name I think) on what
they use on their 'Zero's in their Pearl Harbor airshow.

Went to Google and searched "simulated aircraft machine gun". On that
site I found at least one propane/Oxy firing machine gun
(http://members.tripod.com/ReplicaMDL/bigguns.htm. There may be
others?

The one I found (50 Cal) was pretty expensive but there may be other
cheaper ones on Internet if you spend some time looking.

Rots uve luck, boyson. (Well known Japanese expression <G>)

Big John

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 12:22:10 +0200, "Andre" > wrote:

>At night when I get home I sit in my Sonerai and make engine noises
>ocasionally alternated by machine gun fire noises when I press the PTT
>button. I think it would be really cool if I could find a device that will
>make the machine gun fire noises while I'm doing a beat up of the club
>house! I'd like the activation button for that on my stick! :-)
>Andre

>be
>> >>

>> >I do believe your hand should be on the grip.
>>
>> That's a good start...<:-))
>>
>> "For me", I want the radio PTT, trim, and autopilot disconnect. There
>> are maybe some I've missed, but those three are my primary choices.
>>
>> I plan on making the grip ambidextrous as it would be a bit more
>> convenient, although less comfortable. There are a number of "Game"
>> joy sticks that would be ideal for the right hand, but they are very
>> uncomfortable when used with the left.
>>
>> The gaming industry got it backwards there...although a right hand one
>> for the right seat and left for the left seat would be the way to go.
>>
>> Roger Halstead (K8RI EN73 & ARRL Life Member)
>> www.rogerhalstead.com
>> N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)
>>

>> >Dan, U. S. Air Force, retired

ThJester99
July 21st 03, 09:15 PM
didnt Jim Weir have an electronic version that plugged into your headset with a
velcro PTT?

Big John
July 21st 03, 09:26 PM
I would have told some of the bitchers trying to rewrite history, to
go stick it where the sun don't shine.

Can I be a Kentucky Colonel or does that p**s people off also for not
being PC?

Big John

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 15:25:14 -0400, Bryan Martin

wrote on 7/21/03 11:48 AM:

>> Talk to Confedrate Air Force (they changed their name I think) on what
>
>It's the Commemorative Air Force now. Gotta be politically correct, ya know.
>At least they don't have to change the CAF initials on all their literature.
>
>Bryan

Big John
July 21st 03, 09:30 PM
They made one for model airplanes (electronic with a speaker) but it's
volume could hardly get over the sound of the motor when you made a
pass down the flight line <G>

My good flying buddy had one on his P-51 that we played with.

Big John
On 21 Jul 2003 20:15:43 GMT, (ThJester99) wrote:

>didnt Jim Weir have an electronic version that plugged into your headset with a
>velcro PTT?

Andre
July 22nd 03, 04:27 PM
Hey John,
Yes the expensive part obviously makes it slightly less attractive for an
enthusiastic home builder on limited budget... so I'm thinking... what would
any decent home builder do?
The answer is scrounge of course, is it not?
So here's my first my first idea for a Home Made Machine Gun Fire Sound
Device Ver. 1.0.
Take one second hand automotive radio/cassette player and obtain an
amplifying unit to match. Tape some machine gun fire onto a casette, (can
use Pearl Harbor, the movie as a good source...) and install the whole
contraption into one standard home built aircraft with a button on the
joystick grip (to make this post relevant to the thread) and Bob's your
uncle...
What do you think?

"Big John" > wrote in message
> Andre
>
> Don't they (or didn't they) make some 'guns' that use propane to make
> the gun noise? Seem to recall that method of playing WWI Ace <G>
>
> Talk to Confedrate Air Force (they changed their name I think) on what
> they use on their 'Zero's in their Pearl Harbor airshow.
>
> Went to Google and searched "simulated aircraft machine gun". On that
> site I found at least one propane/Oxy firing machine gun
> (http://members.tripod.com/ReplicaMDL/bigguns.htm. There may be
> others?
>
> The one I found (50 Cal) was pretty expensive but there may be other
> cheaper ones on Internet if you spend some time looking.
>
> Rots uve luck, boyson. (Well known Japanese expression <G>)
>
> Big John
>

> On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 12:22:10 +0200, "Andre" > wrote:
>
> >At night when I get home I sit in my Sonerai and make engine noises
> >ocasionally alternated by machine gun fire noises when I press the PTT
> >button. I think it would be really cool if I could find a device that
will
> >make the machine gun fire noises while I'm doing a beat up of the club
> >house! I'd like the activation button for that on my stick! :-)
> >Andre

> >be

> >> That's a good start...<:-))
> >>
> >> "For me", I want the radio PTT, trim, and autopilot disconnect. There
> >> are maybe some I've missed, but those three are my primary choices.
> >>
> >> I plan on making the grip ambidextrous as it would be a bit more
> >> convenient, although less comfortable. There are a number of "Game"
> >> joy sticks that would be ideal for the right hand, but they are very
> >> uncomfortable when used with the left.
> >>
> >> The gaming industry got it backwards there...although a right hand one
> >> for the right seat and left for the left seat would be the way to go.
> >>
> >> Roger Halstead (K8RI EN73 & ARRL Life Member)
> >> www.rogerhalstead.com
> >> N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)

Corrie
July 23rd 03, 07:05 AM
Big John > wrote in message >...
> Andre
>
> Didn't think about the automobile 'boom boxes' that move your car
> sideways when they go by.
>
> There must be some of the amps and heavy duty speakers around if you
> look, as a give away from wrecked cars or on Internet. Could build a
> mock up and set on ground by your bird and start and run engine and
> let someone walk away and see how far the sound can be heard over
> engine.

Check ye local pawnshop. Being a guitarist, I drop in from time to
time just to see what's hangin'. There always seems to be a good
selection of automotive subwoofers and power amps. Rather than a
cassette tape, why not record to MP3? The MP3 players are lighter and
have no moving parts. Plus, you have random access to many different
sound tracks, not just a machine gun. For example, you might record a
75mm Howitzer (when you want to play at being a B-25H pilot), a
'bombs-away' whistle/kaboom to wake up the neighbors, various engine
sounds (for example, a B-36 on takeoff from the CD available at
http://www.b-36peacemakermuseum.org/ or
http://www.cowtown.net/proweb/lastb36/), sonic boom, etc.

Andre
July 23rd 03, 07:30 AM
Yeah, a Sonerai with ATTITUDE!
I like it...

"Corrie" > wrote in message
om...
> Big John > wrote in message
> > Andre
> >
> > Didn't think about the automobile 'boom boxes' that move your car
> > sideways when they go by.
> >
> > There must be some of the amps and heavy duty speakers around if you
> > look, as a give away from wrecked cars or on Internet. Could build a
> > mock up and set on ground by your bird and start and run engine and
> > let someone walk away and see how far the sound can be heard over
> > engine.
>
> Check ye local pawnshop. Being a guitarist, I drop in from time to
> time just to see what's hangin'. There always seems to be a good
> selection of automotive subwoofers and power amps. Rather than a
> cassette tape, why not record to MP3? The MP3 players are lighter and
> have no moving parts. Plus, you have random access to many different
> sound tracks, not just a machine gun. For example, you might record a
> 75mm Howitzer (when you want to play at being a B-25H pilot), a
> 'bombs-away' whistle/kaboom to wake up the neighbors, various engine
> sounds (for example, a B-36 on takeoff from the CD available at
> http://www.b-36peacemakermuseum.org/ or
> http://www.cowtown.net/proweb/lastb36/), sonic boom, etc.

B2431
July 23rd 03, 10:13 AM
>For example, you might record a
>75mm Howitzer (when you want to play at being a B-25H pilot), a
>'bombs-away' whistle/kaboom to wake up the neighbors, various engine
>sounds (for example, a B-36 on takeoff from the CD available at
>http://www.b-36peacemakermuseum.org/ or
>http://www.cowtown.net/proweb/lastb36/), sonic boom, etc.

Can you imagine a late night take off from a grass strip in the middle of
Sheepville with the sound of a B-36 taking off? I bet the UFO 'experts' will
use it for 'proof.'

"Yes sir, Mr.Tom Brokejaw, this proves we have visitors from Andromeda........"

Dan, U. S. Air Force, retired

Google