PDA

View Full Version : Youngest boy to fly solo

June 29th 06, 09:38 PM
Jonathan strickland, a 14-year-old boy from California, is believed to
be the youngest person in the world to fly solo in different aircraft
on the same day. He flew solo in a small aircraft, and then after
making a couple of touch and go's, Jonathan jumped into a helicopter.
Jonathan is one of hundreds of inner city kids in Los Angeles who are
given the opportunity to receive free flight instructions from a
canadian airport in exchange for doing charity work. And as tradition
requires, Jonathan ended the historic day with a splash. Take a look at
this video about Johnathan, this isn't a spam:
http://www.groundhog.tv/apps/editor/staticplayer.jsp?clip=1151613468607.wmv

Bob Gardner
June 29th 06, 10:45 PM
I didn't know until today that there was a "tradition" of dumping water on a
newly soloed pilot. Whatever happened to cutting off the shirt tail? Now
that IS a tradition.

Bob Gardner

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Jonathan strickland, a 14-year-old boy from California, is believed to
> be the youngest person in the world to fly solo in different aircraft
> on the same day. He flew solo in a small aircraft, and then after
> making a couple of touch and go's, Jonathan jumped into a helicopter.
> Jonathan is one of hundreds of inner city kids in Los Angeles who are
> given the opportunity to receive free flight instructions from a
> canadian airport in exchange for doing charity work. And as tradition
> requires, Jonathan ended the historic day with a splash. Take a look at
> this video about Johnathan, this isn't a spam:
> http://www.groundhog.tv/apps/editor/staticplayer.jsp?clip=1151613468607.wmv

Bob Noel
June 29th 06, 10:50 PM
In article >,
"Bob Gardner" > wrote:

> I didn't know until today that there was a "tradition" of dumping water on a
> newly soloed pilot. Whatever happened to cutting off the shirt tail? Now
> that IS a tradition.

maybe each of those traditions helps to scare off the women pilots... ;-)

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

john smith
June 30th 06, 12:51 AM
In article >,
Bob Noel > wrote:

> In article >,
> "Bob Gardner" > wrote:
>
> > I didn't know until today that there was a "tradition" of dumping water on
> > newly soloed pilot. Whatever happened to cutting off the shirt tail? Now
> > that IS a tradition.

> maybe each of those traditions helps to scare off the women pilots... ;-)

Women must wear white t-shirts.

Ron Garret
June 30th 06, 12:59 AM
In article om>,
wrote:

> Jonathan strickland, a 14-year-old boy from California, is believed to
> be the youngest person in the world to fly solo in different aircraft
> on the same day. He flew solo in a small aircraft, and then after
> making a couple of touch and go's, Jonathan jumped into a helicopter.
> Jonathan is one of hundreds of inner city kids in Los Angeles who are
> given the opportunity to receive free flight instructions from a
> canadian airport in exchange for doing charity work. And as tradition
> requires, Jonathan ended the historic day with a splash. Take a look at
> this video about Johnathan, this isn't a spam:
> http://www.groundhog.tv/apps/editor/staticplayer.jsp?clip=1151613468607.wmv

Don't you have to be 16 to solo?

rg

Newps
June 30th 06, 03:55 AM
Ron Garret wrote:
> In article om>,
> wrote:
>

>>Jonathan strickland, a 14-year-old boy from California, is believed to
>>be the youngest person in the world to fly solo in different aircraft
>>on the same day. He flew solo in a small aircraft, and then after
>>making a couple of touch and go's, Jonathan jumped into a helicopter.
>>Jonathan is one of hundreds of inner city kids in Los Angeles who are
>>given the opportunity to receive free flight instructions from a
>>canadian airport in exchange for doing charity work. And as tradition
>>requires, Jonathan ended the historic day with a splash. Take a look at
>>this video about Johnathan, this isn't a spam:
>>http://www.groundhog.tv/apps/editor/staticplayer.jsp?clip=1151613468607.wmv
>

> Don't you have to be 16 to solo?

Legally, yes. We have a family here that never lets the rules get in
their way. They have a kid who is now 21 who flew young eagles as a 17
year old. In the family jet ranger. He's been flying since he was 8 or
9. The whole family is that way. He quit college to fly relief
missions with his Dad and other family members when that tsunami hit
Indonesia a couple years ago. His Dad, uncle and aunt fly for the
airlines, until recently. The money is so infinitely better flying
their helicopters for firefighting that they have all left the airlines.
Flying for the Forest Service is literally like printing money.

OP
June 30th 06, 06:31 AM
On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 16:59:48 -0700, Ron Garret
> wrote:

>In article om>,
> wrote:
>
>> Jonathan strickland, a 14-year-old boy from California, is believed to
>> be the youngest person in the world to fly solo in different aircraft
>> on the same day. He flew solo in a small aircraft, and then after
>> making a couple of touch and go's, Jonathan jumped into a helicopter.
>> Jonathan is one of hundreds of inner city kids in Los Angeles who are
>> given the opportunity to receive free flight instructions from a
>> canadian airport in exchange for doing charity work. And as tradition
>> requires, Jonathan ended the historic day with a splash. Take a look at
>> this video about Johnathan, this isn't a spam:
>> http://www.groundhog.tv/apps/editor/staticplayer.jsp?clip=1151613468607.wmv
>
>Don't you have to be 16 to solo?

He did both solos in Canada where the age limit is 14. HIs training
up til now has been in Los Angeles. He only went to Canada, with
his instructor, to do the solos. They didn't say anything about
where, when or how his pilot's certificate will be issued when he
finishes all the other requirements.

Ron Kelley

Vaughn Simon
June 30th 06, 11:26 AM
"OP" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 16:59:48 -0700, Ron Garret
>
> He did both solos in Canada where the age limit is 14. HIs training
> up til now has been in Los Angeles. He only went to Canada, with
> his instructor, to do the solos. They didn't say anything about
> where, when or how his pilot's certificate will be issued when he
> finishes all the other requirements.

He can always fly gliders in the US until (and hopefully long after) he
turns 16. He can fly solo at 14 and he will be a better pilot for the
experience.

Vaughn

Google