PDA

View Full Version : Off to the Alexis Park Inn tomorrow

Peter R.
June 30th 06, 02:10 AM
Tomorrow (Friday) my two oldest boys, father, and I will be departing for a
vacation to Denver, flying across the US from NY State in the Bonanza.

Having been thoroughly manipulated <G> by all of Jay H's propaganda in this
newsgroup over the last four years, I decided enough was enough and planned
a layover tomorrow night in Iowa City, Iowa, to perhaps meet the man behind
the posts and the Inn.

I'll post a pirep of our stay after I return from the trip, sometime into
the second week of July.

--
Peter

Jim Burns
June 30th 06, 02:17 AM
Enjoy.
You won't be disappointed.
Jim

"Peter R." > wrote in message
> Tomorrow (Friday) my two oldest boys, father, and I will be departing for
> vacation to Denver, flying across the US from NY State in the Bonanza.
>
> Having been thoroughly manipulated <G> by all of Jay H's propaganda in
this
> newsgroup over the last four years, I decided enough was enough and
planned
> a layover tomorrow night in Iowa City, Iowa, to perhaps meet the man
behind
> the posts and the Inn.
>
> I'll post a pirep of our stay after I return from the trip, sometime into
> the second week of July.
>

> --
> Peter

Jack Allison
June 30th 06, 02:57 AM
Peter R. wrote:
> Tomorrow (Friday) my two oldest boys, father, and I will be departing for a
> vacation to Denver, flying across the US from NY State in the Bonanza.
>
> Having been thoroughly manipulated <G> by all of Jay H's propaganda in this
> newsgroup over the last four years,
Yeah, me too. Happened last year and now it's a regular pre-OSH stop.
Jay's marketing plan just keeps sucking us all in :-)

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-Instrument Airplane

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Edwin Johnson
June 30th 06, 03:19 PM
On 2006-06-30, Peter R. > wrote:

> Having been thoroughly manipulated <G> by all of Jay H's propaganda in this
> newsgroup over the last four years, I decided enough was enough and planned
> a layover tomorrow night in Iowa City, Iowa, to perhaps meet the man behind
> the posts and the Inn.

Welcome to a growing tradition. :) You will not be disappointed.

....Edwin
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes
turned skyward, for there you have been, there you long to
return."-da Vinci http://bellsouthpwp2.net/e/d/edwinljohnson

Peter R.
June 30th 06, 07:32 PM
Edwin Johnson > wrote:

> Welcome to a growing tradition. :) You will not be disappointed.

Jim, Jack, and Edwin, thanks. However, GA just let me down:

While taxiing to the runway from my home airport today to start the trip,
my HSI would not lock on to the magnetic heading. The HSI continued to
spin around and around.

We have an avionics shop on the field, so I taxied back over to the shop to
have the tech look over the system. One hour later, the verdict was in:
Apparently my S-Tech HSI gyro failed and needs to be replaced.

End of trip before it even started. What a let-down.

--
Peter

Jose[_1_]
June 30th 06, 07:34 PM
> End of trip before it even started. What a let-down.

Couldn't go VFR? More stuff, more stuff to go wrong.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.

Steve Foley[_1_]
June 30th 06, 08:25 PM
"Peter R." > wrote in message
> Edwin Johnson > wrote:

> End of trip before it even started. What a let-down.

Hope Jay doesn't whack you with a cancellation fee :)

Jim Burns[_1_]
June 30th 06, 08:28 PM
Can you reschedule your vacation and head to OSH? or had you also planned on
doing OSH?
Jim

"Peter R." > wrote in message
> Edwin Johnson > wrote:
>
> > Welcome to a growing tradition. :) You will not be disappointed.
>
> Jim, Jack, and Edwin, thanks. However, GA just let me down:
>
> While taxiing to the runway from my home airport today to start the trip,
> my HSI would not lock on to the magnetic heading. The HSI continued to
> spin around and around.
>
> We have an avionics shop on the field, so I taxied back over to the shop
> have the tech look over the system. One hour later, the verdict was in:
> Apparently my S-Tech HSI gyro failed and needs to be replaced.
>
> End of trip before it even started. What a let-down.
>
> --
> Peter

Peter R.
June 30th 06, 09:04 PM
Jose > wrote:

> Couldn't go VFR? More stuff, more stuff to go wrong.

Honestly, I was originally concerned about the back end of the trip, but
now I am considering VFR. Weather looks like it will allow it.

--
Peter

Peter R.
June 30th 06, 09:05 PM
Jim Burns > wrote:

> Can you reschedule your vacation and head to OSH? or had you also planned on
> doing OSH?

No, I hadn't planned on OSH this year. Some year, yes. However, I am
reconsidering the trip VFR. Today and tomorrow look pretty good after all.

--
Peter

Peter R.
June 30th 06, 09:06 PM
Steve Foley > wrote:

> Hope Jay doesn't whack you with a cancellation fee :)

As a fly-in, he provides a same-day, before 6:00pm local time cancellation
policy, so no fee. :)

--
Peter

Al[_1_]
June 30th 06, 09:36 PM
Good compass tracking practice.

Got a compass, Got a clock. Lift is not affected. Good Luck.

Al G

"Peter R." > wrote in message
> Jim Burns > wrote:
>
>> Can you reschedule your vacation and head to OSH? or had you also planned
>> on
>> doing OSH?
>
> No, I hadn't planned on OSH this year. Some year, yes. However, I am
> reconsidering the trip VFR. Today and tomorrow look pretty good after
> all.
>
> --
> Peter

Jose[_1_]
June 30th 06, 09:39 PM
> Got a compass, Got a clock. Lift is not affected. Good Luck.

Lift most certainly =is= affected. Bad weather sucks. Good weather
doesn't suck. So, if there is good weather, there should be more lift,
since suckage doesn't need to be counteracted.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.

Jay Honeck
June 30th 06, 11:36 PM
> > Hope Jay doesn't whack you with a cancellation fee :)
>
> As a fly-in, he provides a same-day, before 6:00pm local time cancellation
> policy, so no fee. :)

Tick...tick...tick...tick....

We just heard Peter's Bonanza entering the pattern at 5:35 PM! I'm
off to go pick him up...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jay Honeck
June 30th 06, 11:51 PM
> We just heard Peter's Bonanza entering the pattern at 5:35 PM! I'm
> off to go pick him up...

Whoo-wee....this is the new "stranger than fiction" award-winner:

After hearing "Peter" on Unicom, I went to the airport...

....and met the plane on the ramp...
....a Bonanza...just like Peters...
....with the tail number ending in the same letter "W"...
....AND the guy's name *was* "Peter"...

and it wasn't "our" Peter!

First time THAT has ever happened before...the guy sure was surprised!

So, we still don't know where the "real" Peter is....
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Montblack[_1_]
July 1st 06, 12:46 AM
He posted from, NY(?), he had instrument problems - was considering VFR.
Those posts came in between 1:30pm and 3:00pm this afternoon.

<http://groups.google.com/group/rec.aviation.piloting/browse_thread/thread/2ac61cb52a9ebe67/9b947ee556f6da86?hl=en#9b947ee556f6da86>

Montblack
(Last day of June)

("Jay Honeck" wrote)
> So, we still don't know where the "real" Peter is....

Jim Burns
July 1st 06, 01:32 AM
hmm... that sounds awfully suspicious to me... are you sure that you're not
just kidnapping transient pilots to fill up the Inn??!

"Ok, your N number ends in "W", come with me... during your stay you shall
be named Peter R., what's that? your name really is Peter? Get in the van,
keep your hands where I can see them, and no sudden moves. Mary, unlock the
Lindberg Baby Suite, I've caught another one!"

Jim

"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> > We just heard Peter's Bonanza entering the pattern at 5:35 PM! I'm
> > off to go pick him up...
>
> Whoo-wee....this is the new "stranger than fiction" award-winner:
>
> After hearing "Peter" on Unicom, I went to the airport...
>
> ...and met the plane on the ramp...
> ...a Bonanza...just like Peters...
> ...with the tail number ending in the same letter "W"...
> ...AND the guy's name *was* "Peter"...
>
> and it wasn't "our" Peter!
>
> First time THAT has ever happened before...the guy sure was surprised!
>
> So, we still don't know where the "real" Peter is....
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

Jay Honeck
July 1st 06, 02:32 AM
> "Ok, your N number ends in "W", come with me... during your stay you shall
> be named Peter R., what's that? your name really is Peter? Get in the van,
> keep your hands where I can see them, and no sudden moves. Mary, unlock the
> Lindberg Baby Suite, I've caught another one!"

And Joe likes it cuz he gets to use their credit card numbers to buy
video games...

;-)

Still no word from Peter...

:-(
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jay Honeck
July 1st 06, 02:34 AM
> He posted from, NY(?), he had instrument problems - was considering VFR.
> Those posts came in between 1:30pm and 3:00pm this afternoon.

Roger that. However, Peter spoke with Mary on the phone since then,
first to cancel his reservation, then to UN-cancel it, cuz he was going
VFR.

Hope everything is alright. I don't see any significant weather that
he couldn't have easily circumnavigated between New York and Iowa...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jim Burns
July 1st 06, 03:19 AM
Hmm... .You got his N number? give flight circus a call, maybe he filed a
flight plan.
Jim

"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> > "Ok, your N number ends in "W", come with me... during your stay you
shall
> > be named Peter R., what's that? your name really is Peter? Get in the
van,
> > keep your hands where I can see them, and no sudden moves. Mary, unlock
the
> > Lindberg Baby Suite, I've caught another one!"
>
> And Joe likes it cuz he gets to use their credit card numbers to buy
> video games...
>
> ;-)
>
> Still no word from Peter...
>
> :-(
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

Jack Allison[_1_]
July 1st 06, 07:21 AM
Peter R. wrote:

> One hour later, the verdict was in:
> Apparently my S-Tech HSI gyro failed and needs to be replaced.
>
> End of trip before it even started. What a let-down.

Bummer, hope it works out to go VFR. This sub-thread was a nice little
reminder of just what is necessary for VFR day, VFR night, and IFR
flight. Tomato Flames, Flaps, Grabcard. Ah, yes, it's all coming back
now :-)

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-Instrument Airplane
Arrow N2104T

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Jay Honeck
July 1st 06, 05:51 PM
> Hmm... .You got his N number? give flight circus a call, maybe he filed a
> flight plan.

Peter made it! They didn't arrive until 11 PM last night -- long after
we had left for the day -- but I had left the courtesy van at the
airport for them, so it all worked out. My night manager checked them
in, and they apparently had a restful stay.

This morning we got to meet Peter's two young sons, and his dad, and
had a delightful time. We set the boys up on the big-screen flight sim
in the theater (those kids were NATURALS, not surprisingly!), while I
gave Peter the "nickel tour"...

Unfortunately we didn't really get to do much beyond that, cuz the
skies were getting juicy and Peter wanted to get out ahead of the
predicted thunderstorms. So, the plans to "do" our Jazz Festival and
show them around town will have to wait till next time...but it was
great to see them nonetheless!

BTW: Thanks, Peter, for the "brewer's box" of "Wicked Ale" -- it will
certainly be put to good use... (And we all got a good laugh at your
"farewell" on Unicom...! :-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jim Burns
July 1st 06, 11:50 PM
Pete's Wicked Ale? I just saw a sign for that in the liquor store. Any
good?
Jim

Jay Honeck
July 2nd 06, 03:53 AM
> Pete's Wicked Ale? I just saw a sign for that in the liquor store. Any
> good?

Yeah, I've had it before -- it's good stuff.

We're saving Peter's special "brewer's box" for "Movie Night" next
Tuesday...

:-)
--
Jay Honeck