PDA

View Full Version : Re: STOL and aerobatic?

Dave Hyde
July 18th 03, 10:58 PM
Bushy wrote:

> Anyone have any ideas on something that would be suitable?

If I were looking for something really STOL and aerobatic
I'd look at a Rans S-9/S-10.

As for approval for aerobatics, I dunno about Oz, but in the US
all we're supposed to do is demonstrate each maneuver during
the test period. I understand that that's not always enforced.
No red tape beyond initial certification.

Dave 'some but less than more' Hyde

Bob Olds
July 19th 03, 02:46 AM
"Bushy" > wrote in message >...
> G'day,
> I'm looking at building or purchasing, to operate from a small 1000 feet to
> 50 feet farm strip in a valley at a couple of thousand feet, inland from
> Brisbane. ( = hot summer!)
>
> Anyone have any ideas on something that would be suitable? I am looking at a
> Storch replica www.storch.com.au as a possibility, what would the STOL bits
> do to the bag of tricks that can be performed, and how would they affect
> possible future competition use? Are there classes that can't be entered for
> example?
>
> I would also like to know what would have to be done to have approval for
> some aerobatics or if this is not possible. I understand there would need to
> be a fuel system that could cope with inverted for a period of time, and the
> airframe will impose certain limits, but how much red tape etc. does one
> have to worry about for both Australia and overseas.
>
> Thanks,
> Peter

I fly a Van's RV-4 from our 1100 foot grass strip on our farm in
Western Arkansas (Central U.S.) with 100 degree F. temps. I only have
a 150 HP engine and burn auto gas/100LL avgas mixture. I have inverted
oil and fuel systems.
The RV-4 is rated 6 G + / 3 G - and does all aerobatics quite well. My
top speed is 195 MPH and stall is 49 MPH.
I intend to add vortex generators on the wings,which should lower the
stall to about 42 MPH.
There are many Van's aircraft in Ozzie,just talk to some of the owners
, and maybe get a demo flight. They are more "Bang for Your Buck" than
ANY other kit plane.

Bob Olds RV-4 , N1191X
Charleston,Arkansas

Google