PDA

View Full Version : James R. Gannett died

GeorgeC
July 16th 06, 12:43 AM
I just read in "GA News: that Jim Gannett died.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/274739_gannettobit21.html

GeorgeC

.Blueskies.
July 16th 06, 01:03 PM
Blueskies, Jim, onward into the sunset...

"GeorgeC" > wrote in message ...
>I just read in "GA News: that Jim Gannett died.
>
> http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/274739_gannettobit21.html
>
> GeorgeC

vincent p. norris
July 16th 06, 03:12 PM
>I just read in "GA News: that Jim Gannett died.
>
>http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/274739_gannettobit21.html

That obit says

"Gannett was best known in the Northwest for co-piloting a Boeing 707
jetliner that performed two barrel rolls over Lake Washington in
1955."

Is that correct? Wasn't it Tex Johnston? Was Gannett the copilot?

vince norris

john smith
July 16th 06, 05:45 PM
In article >,
vincent p. norris > wrote:

> >I just read in "GA News: that Jim Gannett died.
> >
> >http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/274739_gannettobit21.html
>
> That obit says
>
> "Gannett was best known in the Northwest for co-piloting a Boeing 707
> jetliner that performed two barrel rolls over Lake Washington in
> 1955."
>
> Is that correct? Wasn't it Tex Johnston? Was Gannett the copilot?

Vince, what does the word "copilot" mean? :-)

Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]
July 16th 06, 06:04 PM
"vincent p. norris" > wrote in message

> That obit says
>
> "Gannett was best known in the Northwest for co-piloting a Boeing 707
> jetliner that performed two barrel rolls over Lake Washington in
> 1955."
>
> Is that correct? Wasn't it Tex Johnston? Was Gannett the copilot?

Do you have reason to doubt the obit?

Montblack[_1_]
July 16th 06, 06:39 PM
"vincent p. norris" <
> "Gannett was best known in the Northwest for co-piloting a Boeing 707
> jetliner that performed two barrel rolls over Lake Washington in
> 1955."
>
> Is that correct? Wasn't it Tex Johnston? Was Gannett the copilot?

Interesting reading:

http://www.nasm.si.edu/research/aero/aircraft/boeing_367.htm
National Air and Space Museum 707 history

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/707family/index.html
Boeing history (707) "...367-80, better known as the Dash 80"

http://www.aviationexplorer.com/707_roll_video.htm
Aviation Explorer video of the barrel roll

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rILk6-4SMJQ
Same barrel roll video on youtube.com

Montblack
<http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6055643060319319902&q=barrel+roll>
Cri-Cri barrel roll <g>

Matt Whiting
July 16th 06, 07:13 PM
Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
> "vincent p. norris" > wrote in message
>
>>That obit says
>>
>>"Gannett was best known in the Northwest for co-piloting a Boeing 707
>>jetliner that performed two barrel rolls over Lake Washington in
>>1955."
>>
>>Is that correct? Wasn't it Tex Johnston? Was Gannett the copilot?
>>

> Do you have reason to doubt the obit?

Obits are in newspapers. That should automatically raise suspicion.
Not as much suspicion as network TV though...

Matt

vincent p. norris
July 17th 06, 01:39 AM
>> "Gannett was best known in the Northwest for co-piloting a Boeing 707
>> jetliner that performed two barrel rolls over Lake Washington in
>> 1955."
>>
>> Is that correct? Wasn't it Tex Johnston? Was Gannett the copilot?
>
>Vince, what does the word "copilot" mean? :-)

Boy, I must have contracted a severe case of dyslexia! I completely
misread that!

vince norris

vincent p. norris
July 17th 06, 01:40 AM