PDA

View Full Version : when is landing gear deployed?

July 20th 06, 03:15 AM
I would like to know how far before touchdown the landing gear is
typically deployed for larger commercial aircraft. Thanks.

Jim Macklin
July 20th 06, 03:18 AM
At glide slope interception on an ILS or when beginning
descent on a visual, 3 to 5 miles from touchdown. Power is
set and the drag of the gear is used to initiate the descent
and glide slope capture.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

> wrote in message
ups.com...
|I would like to know how far before touchdown the landing
gear is
| typically deployed for larger commercial aircraft. Thanks.

July 20th 06, 03:22 AM
Wow! This group is really responsive. Thanks.

I'm about to post another question about flaps.

Jim Macklin
July 20th 06, 03:38 AM
The answer is, approach flaps as they are being vectored to
the approach and full flaps when the landing is assured.

> wrote in message
oups.com...
| Wow! This group is really responsive. Thanks.
|
| I'm about to post another question about flaps.

Capt.Doug
July 20th 06, 03:47 AM
> wrote in message
> I would like to know how far before touchdown the landing gear is
> typically deployed for larger commercial aircraft. Thanks.

On a standard ILS, landing gear is extended when the glideslope needle is a
half-dot above intercept. This prevents excessive pitch changes that might
occur if done at intercept. On a visual approach the gear is extended as
needed so long as we are in the landing configuration before 1000' AFE.

D.

Morgans[_3_]
July 20th 06, 05:14 AM
"john smith" > wrote

> At KCMH/Port Columbus International, one can watch them drop their gear
> just inside the Outer Marker/5 nm. This is in the vicinity of The Ohio
> State University.

Yep. On one approach, they use the campus's center "green space", "The
Oval" (very visible, even from Goggle Earth) to line up on the extended
center line. I've watched many a jet fly over me, there.
--
Jim in NC

Google