PDA

View Full Version : Cessna Reveals "Cirrus Killer"

Darkwing
July 25th 06, 03:01 AM
http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/12_30-SE/leadnews/cessna_lsa_cirrus_killer_192767-1.html

DW

Darkwing
July 25th 06, 03:03 AM

http://www.avweb.com/newspics/new_cessna2.jpg

> DW

Kingfish
July 25th 06, 03:34 AM
So, they didn't land the thing to let the folks have a closer look-see?
What a tease! Funky wing design though... Wonder how it's powered?

July 25th 06, 04:30 AM
"Darkwing" <theducksmailATyahoo.com> wrote:
> http://www.avweb.com/newspics/new_cessna2.jpg

What will it *cost*?

cjcampbell
July 25th 06, 08:51 AM
Darkwing wrote:
> http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/12_30-SE/leadnews/cessna_lsa_cirrus_killer_192767-1.html

> DW

Looks way cool. Strutless wings, too. And simple. I wonder how far away
it is from certification?

Jim Macklin
July 25th 06, 09:13 AM
If you have to ask, you can't afford it.

> wrote in message
| "Darkwing" <theducksmailATyahoo.com> wrote:
| > http://www.avweb.com/newspics/new_cessna2.jpg
|
| What will it *cost*?

Kingfish
July 25th 06, 01:41 PM
wrote:
> "Darkwing" <theducksmailATyahoo.com> wrote:
> > http://www.avweb.com/newspics/new_cessna2.jpg
>
> What will it *cost*?

If it's a Cirrus killer it'd have to be priced accordingly. 400-450k?

Barney Rubble
July 25th 06, 06:32 PM
Rotax 912

"Kingfish" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> So, they didn't land the thing to let the folks have a closer look-see?
> What a tease! Funky wing design though... Wonder how it's powered?

Bob Moore
July 25th 06, 06:36 PM
Barney Rubble wrote
> Rotax 912

Nope! That was for the Light Sport Aircraft, not the Cirrus Killer.
How would you expect to carry 5 people with 100 hp?

Bob Moore

Jay Beckman
July 25th 06, 07:19 PM
"Barney Rubble" > wrote in message
> Rotax 912

I think you may have your apples and oranges crossed.

The Cessna LSA POC (Proof Of Concept) is Rotax powered but I didn't see any
references to what is under the cowling of the "Cirrus Killer."

Jay B

Jim Macklin
July 25th 06, 08:30 PM
The ROTAX is in the LSA, the engine in the full-size
airplane has not be said, probably a Lycoming 540 but it
could be anything.

"Barney Rubble" > wrote in message
| Rotax 912
|
| "Kingfish" > wrote in message

ups.com...
| > So, they didn't land the thing to let the folks have a
closer look-see?
| > What a tease! Funky wing design though... Wonder how
it's powered?

Kingfish
July 25th 06, 08:32 PM
Bob Moore wrote:
> Barney Rubble wrote
> > Rotax 912
>
> Nope! That was for the Light Sport Aircraft, not the Cirrus Killer.
> How would you expect to carry 5 people with 100 hp?

Gee, maybe Cessna's *really* got something up their sleeve? <G>

Darkwing
July 26th 06, 03:00 AM
"cjcampbell" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Darkwing wrote:
>> http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/12_30-SE/leadnews/cessna_lsa_cirrus_killer_192767-1.html

>> DW
>
> Looks way cool. Strutless wings, too. And simple. I wonder how far away
> it is from certification?

They really busted some ass getting it in the air. I like it, looks damn
good. I'm sure I won't own one anytime soon!

DW

Matt Whiting
July 26th 06, 03:51 AM
Darkwing wrote:
> "cjcampbell" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>>Darkwing wrote:
>>
>>>http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/12_30-SE/leadnews/cessna_lsa_cirrus_killer_192767-1.html
>>>
>>>----------------------------------------------------
>>>DW
>>
>>Looks way cool. Strutless wings, too. And simple. I wonder how far away
>>it is from certification?
>>

> They really busted some ass getting it in the air. I like it, looks damn
> good. I'm sure I won't own one anytime soon!

The above link appears to have expired and I searched Avweb and didn't
find anything under "Cirrus killer", at least nothing with pictures.
Anyone know of an alternate link?

Matt

Jim Macklin
July 26th 06, 04:12 AM
http://www.avweb.com/newspics/new_cessna2.jpg

http://www.avweb.com/newspics/Cessna_LSA1.jpg

http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archives/avflash/684-full.html#192722

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/12_30-SE/leadnews/hondajet_cessna_lsa_cirrus_killer_192767-1.html

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

"Matt Whiting" > wrote in message
| Darkwing wrote:
| > "cjcampbell" > wrote in
message

oups.com...

| >>Darkwing wrote:
| >>

>>>http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/12_30-SE/leadnews/cessna_lsa_cirrus_killer_192767-1.html

| >>Looks way cool. Strutless wings, too. And simple. I
wonder how far away
| >>it is from certification?
| >>

| > They really busted some ass getting it in the air. I
like it, looks damn
| > good. I'm sure I won't own one anytime soon!
|
| The above link appears to have expired and I searched
Avweb and didn't
| find anything under "Cirrus killer", at least nothing with
pictures.
| Anyone know of an alternate link?
|
| Matt

Thomas Borchert
July 26th 06, 10:00 AM
Bob,

> How would you expect to carry 5 people with 100 hp?

With the added levitation spell, it's no problem.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Matt Whiting
July 26th 06, 12:10 PM
Jim Macklin wrote:

> http://www.avweb.com/newspics/new_cessna2.jpg
>
> http://www.avweb.com/newspics/Cessna_LSA1.jpg
>
> http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archives/avflash/684-full.html#192722
>
> http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/12_30-SE/leadnews/hondajet_cessna_lsa_cirrus_killer_192767-1.html

Thanks. A touch on the homely side, but very interesting nonetheless.
It will be curious to see what affect this has on the market if they
actually take it into production.

Matt

Jim Macklin
July 26th 06, 01:18 PM
Any activity is welcomed. Good paint is always needed.

"Matt Whiting" > wrote in message
| Jim Macklin wrote:
|
| > http://www.avweb.com/newspics/new_cessna2.jpg
| >
| > http://www.avweb.com/newspics/Cessna_LSA1.jpg

http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archives/avflash/684-full.html#192722

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/12_30-SE/leadnews/hondajet_cessna_lsa_cirrus_killer_192767-1.html

| Thanks. A touch on the homely side, but very interesting
nonetheless.
| It will be curious to see what affect this has on the
market if they
| actually take it into production.
|
| Matt

Matt Whiting
July 26th 06, 10:39 PM
Jim Macklin wrote:
> Any activity is welcomed. Good paint is always needed.

I agree. Almost anything Cessna does will have a positive impact on the
industry.

Matt

StudentPPSEL
July 28th 06, 12:22 PM
"Kingfish" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> wrote:
> > "Darkwing" <theducksmailATyahoo.com> wrote:
> > > http://www.avweb.com/newspics/new_cessna2.jpg
> >
> > What will it *cost*?
>
> If it's a Cirrus killer it'd have to be priced accordingly. 400-450k?

Well that just put it WAYYYY!! beyond my price range. Somewhere about 20 to
35k is about as far as I could go!

Besides, who the hell could afford a half million dollar,4 place single
engine aircraft anyway? Certainly not your average hourly wage earner such
as myself!

Jim Macklin
July 28th 06, 12:52 PM
The Bonanza is nearing a million and the Baron cost more
than a Eclipse 500. Do you think that might be why Raytheon
is considering selling Beechcraft?

"StudentPPSEL" > wrote in message

| "Kingfish" > wrote in message

ups.com...

| > wrote:
| > >
| > > What will it *cost*?
| >
| > If it's a Cirrus killer it'd have to be priced
accordingly. 400-450k?

| Well that just put it WAYYYY!! beyond my price range.
Somewhere about 20 to
| 35k is about as far as I could go!
|
| Besides, who the hell could afford a half million dollar,4
place single
| engine aircraft anyway? Certainly not your average hourly
wage earner such
| as myself!

Tom Conner
July 28th 06, 01:31 PM
"StudentPPSEL" > wrote in message

> "Kingfish" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > What will it *cost*?
> >
> > If it's a Cirrus killer it'd have to be priced accordingly.
> > 400-450k?
> >

> Well that just put it WAYYYY!! beyond my price range. Somewhere
> about 20 to 35k is about as far as I could go!
>
> Besides, who the hell could afford a half million dollar,4 place
> single engine aircraft anyway? Certainly not your average hourly
> wage earner such as myself!

This answer really belongs in the "Why GA Is Dying" thread.

Kingfish
July 28th 06, 01:51 PM
Jim Macklin wrote:
> The Bonanza is nearing a million and the Baron cost more
> than a Eclipse 500. Do you think that might be why Raytheon
> is considering selling Beechcraft?

$4+ for 100LL isn't helping, but typically the people that can afford a
Bonanza or Baron can deal with the cost of fuel. BTW, the G58 Baron
goes around 1.2M while the Eclipse is 1.45M. Kinda makes you wonder
who's buying Beech's piston twins?

Jim Macklin
July 28th 06, 02:18 PM
Particularly when you look at speed and maintenance costs
per mile.

"Kingfish" > wrote in message
ups.com...

| Jim Macklin wrote:
| > The Bonanza is nearing a million and the Baron cost more
| > than a Eclipse 500. Do you think that might be why
Raytheon
| > is considering selling Beechcraft?
| >

| $4+ for 100LL isn't helping, but typically the people that
can afford a
| Bonanza or Baron can deal with the cost of fuel. BTW, the
G58 Baron
| goes around 1.2M while the Eclipse is 1.45M. Kinda makes
you wonder
| who's buying Beech's piston twins?

Matt Barrow[_1_]
July 28th 06, 02:33 PM

>> > What will it *cost*?
>>
>> If it's a Cirrus killer it'd have to be priced accordingly. 400-450k?
>>

> Well that just put it WAYYYY!! beyond my price range. Somewhere about 20
> 35k is about as far as I could go!
>
> Besides, who the hell could afford a half million dollar,4 place single
> engine aircraft anyway?

Probably those people who won lifes lottery and fly their own +$1M aircraft.

> Certainly not your average hourly wage earner such
> as myself!

There's a hell of a lot of people, unlike yourself, that created businesses,
thus making much more $$$ than you and who use them for business, thus
garnering tax deductions whilst enjoying their $500K, and even more,
aircraft.

Maybe you should buy another life's lottery ticket?

--
Matt
---------------------

Matt Barrow[_1_]
July 28th 06, 02:35 PM
"Jim Macklin" > wrote in message
> The Bonanza is nearing a million and the Baron cost more
> than a Eclipse 500.

And neither are turbo'ed, sao they get to ride down in the low altitude
turbulence...

> Do you think that might be why Raytheon
> is considering selling Beechcraft?

With their overhead, I wonder how much that affects the prices?

--
Matt
---------------------

Thomas Borchert
July 28th 06, 03:28 PM
StudentPPSEL,

> Besides, who the hell could afford a half million dollar,4 place single
> engine aircraft anyway? Certainly not your average hourly wage earner such
> as myself!

All the guys buying Cirrus SR22s - when there is a much lower cost
alternative available in the form of the SR20.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Thomas Borchert
July 28th 06, 03:28 PM
Jim,

> The Bonanza is nearing a million and the Baron cost more
> than a Eclipse 500. Do you think that might be why Raytheon
> is considering selling Beechcraft?

Cessna is building a Cirrus killer, not a Bonanza killer. The reason is
that Bonanzas practically don't sell new.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Thomas Borchert
July 28th 06, 03:28 PM
Kingfish,

> Kinda makes you wonder
> who's buying Beech's piston twins?

Next to nobody. Look at the numbers.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Jim Macklin
July 28th 06, 04:00 PM
I think Raytheon sees a lot of liability for the investment.

"Matt Barrow" > wrote in message

| "Jim Macklin" > wrote
in message
| > The Bonanza is nearing a million and the Baron cost more
| > than a Eclipse 500.
|
| And neither are turbo'ed, sao they get to ride down in the
low altitude
| turbulence...
|
| > Do you think that might be why Raytheon
| > is considering selling Beechcraft?
|
| With their overhead, I wonder how much that affects the
prices?

| --
| Matt
| ---------------------
| Matthew W. Barrow
| Site-Fill Homes, LLC.
| Montrose, CO (MTJ)

Javier[_1_]
July 28th 06, 05:02 PM
Kingfish wrote:
> Jim Macklin wrote:
>> The Bonanza is nearing a million and the Baron cost more
>> than a Eclipse 500. Do you think that might be why Raytheon
>> is considering selling Beechcraft?
>>

> $4+ for 100LL isn't helping, but typically the people that can afford a
> Bonanza or Baron can deal with the cost of fuel. BTW, the G58 Baron
> goes around 1.2M while the Eclipse is 1.45M. Kinda makes you wonder
> who's buying Beech's piston twins?

Not many judging from the numbers, but on the other hand is the Eclipse
shipping yet?

-jav

Jim Macklin
July 28th 06, 07:29 PM
Next month, just got their initial production certificate.

"Javier" > wrote in message
| Kingfish wrote:
| > Jim Macklin wrote:
| >> The Bonanza is nearing a million and the Baron cost
more
| >> than a Eclipse 500. Do you think that might be why
Raytheon
| >> is considering selling Beechcraft?
| >>

| > $4+ for 100LL isn't helping, but typically the people
that can afford a
| > Bonanza or Baron can deal with the cost of fuel. BTW,
the G58 Baron
| > goes around 1.2M while the Eclipse is 1.45M. Kinda makes
you wonder
| > who's buying Beech's piston twins?
| >

| Not many judging from the numbers, but on the other hand
is the Eclipse
| shipping yet?
|
| -jav

Google