PDA

View Full Version : What ever happened to alka-seltzer in mogas?

M[_1_]
July 30th 06, 06:15 AM
Anyone has done the test of dropping the alka seltzer into mogas known
to have ethanol? Did it fizz?

I can definitely say that alka-seltzer does not fizz in ethanol free
regular gasoline. Just tested it today and Jay did that a few days
ago. Now I end up with this pack of alka-seltzer that I need to know
if I should keep it in my fly-bag!

darthpup
July 30th 06, 12:34 PM
What about water in the gasoline?
M wrote:
> Anyone has done the test of dropping the alka seltzer into mogas known
> to have ethanol? Did it fizz?
>
> I can definitely say that alka-seltzer does not fizz in ethanol free
> regular gasoline. Just tested it today and Jay did that a few days
> ago. Now I end up with this pack of alka-seltzer that I need to know
> if I should keep it in my fly-bag!

Stubby
July 30th 06, 05:27 PM
E15 Gulf gas sold by Cumberland Farms make my lawn tractor backfire and
won't idle properly. I did resolve the problem by adding "stabilizer"
to the gas, but that raises the total price. Fortunately, I don't own
an airplane so I don't have worry about it personally.

darthpup wrote:
> What about water in the gasoline?
> M wrote:
>> Anyone has done the test of dropping the alka seltzer into mogas known
>> to have ethanol? Did it fizz?
>>
>> I can definitely say that alka-seltzer does not fizz in ethanol free
>> regular gasoline. Just tested it today and Jay did that a few days
>> ago. Now I end up with this pack of alka-seltzer that I need to know
>> if I should keep it in my fly-bag!

kontiki
July 30th 06, 08:16 PM
Stubby wrote:

> E15 Gulf gas sold by Cumberland Farms make my lawn tractor backfire and
> won't idle properly. I did resolve the problem by adding "stabilizer"
> to the gas, but that raises the total price. Fortunately, I don't own
> an airplane so I don't have worry about it personally.

My lawnmower runs better when I put alka seltzer in the tank, especially
after a long day of mowing with ethanol.

mike regish
November 4th 06, 03:54 PM
The test for ethanol is easy. Get a small (narrow) jar or test tube. Mark a
line about 1/10 from the bottom. Fill with water to this line. Fill the rest
with gas. Shake well for about 30 seconds then let the water settle out. If
the water/gas line is above your original mark, you have ethanol.

mike

"M" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Anyone has done the test of dropping the alka seltzer into mogas known
> to have ethanol? Did it fizz?
>
> I can definitely say that alka-seltzer does not fizz in ethanol free
> regular gasoline. Just tested it today and Jay did that a few days
> ago. Now I end up with this pack of alka-seltzer that I need to know
> if I should keep it in my fly-bag!

Google