PDA

View Full Version : Sport Pilot and DUI/DWI

john smith
August 18th 06, 09:40 PM
As there is no medical requirement for reporting, how will the FAA go
after Sport Pilot's with DUI/DWI convictions?

Gig 601XL Builder
August 18th 06, 10:30 PM
"john smith" > wrote in message
> As there is no medical requirement for reporting, how will the FAA go
> after Sport Pilot's with DUI/DWI convictions?

Good question. If you DUI enough to get your DL suspended or revoked you are
grounded.

Jim Burns[_1_]
August 18th 06, 10:49 PM
Well, there's 61.15 but that's an "after the fact" self reporting
responsibility. I don't know of anything requiring a SP to report prior
convictions. Anybody?
Jim

"john smith" > wrote in message
> As there is no medical requirement for reporting, how will the FAA go
> after Sport Pilot's with DUI/DWI convictions?

Ron Natalie
August 18th 06, 10:58 PM
john smith wrote:
> As there is no medical requirement for reporting, how will the FAA go
> after Sport Pilot's with DUI/DWI convictions?

Not withstanding the MEDICAL, you're required to report DUI enforcemtn
actions to the FAA security office:

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ash/ash_programs/investigations/airmen_duidwi/

Jim Burns[_1_]
August 18th 06, 11:01 PM
er, and the FAA scans the National Driver Register which will show
convictions.
Jim

"Jim Burns" > wrote in message
> Well, there's 61.15 but that's an "after the fact" self reporting
> responsibility. I don't know of anything requiring a SP to report prior
> convictions. Anybody?
> Jim
>
> "john smith" > wrote in message

> > As there is no medical requirement for reporting, how will the FAA go
> > after Sport Pilot's with DUI/DWI convictions?

Emily[_1_]
August 18th 06, 11:37 PM
Jim Burns wrote:
> er, and the FAA scans the National Driver Register which will show
> convictions.
> Jim

I thought that was only when applying for a medical.

john smith
August 18th 06, 11:40 PM
In article >,
"Jim Burns" > wrote:

> er, and the FAA scans the National Driver Register which will show
> convictions.

Maybe. According to the FAQ...

Will FAA discover that I have an alcohol-related MVA if I don't report
it?
Yes, FAA Form 8500-8 "Application for Airmen Medical" contains an
express consent provision which authorizes the National Driver Register
(NDR) to release information about your driving record to FAA.
Information on the NDR record will contain pointers to states that keep
a driving history on you. FAA will get these records to determine if you
have a reportable alcohol-related MVA.

Jim Macklin
August 18th 06, 11:43 PM
State laws will suspend the DL, thus no DL, no sport pilot
operation. The FAA can compare their database with the
state reports on DUI.

"john smith" > wrote in message
| As there is no medical requirement for reporting, how will
the FAA go
| after Sport Pilot's with DUI/DWI convictions?

BTIZ
August 19th 06, 12:21 AM
but John... if you are a Sport Pilot and never apply for a medical..
they don't have your consent on a form you never filed..

BT

"john smith" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Jim Burns" > wrote:
>
>> er, and the FAA scans the National Driver Register which will show
>> convictions.
>
> Maybe. According to the FAQ...
>
> Will FAA discover that I have an alcohol-related MVA if I don't report
> it?
> Yes, FAA Form 8500-8 "Application for Airmen Medical" contains an
> express consent provision which authorizes the National Driver Register
> (NDR) to release information about your driving record to FAA.
> Information on the NDR record will contain pointers to states that keep
> a driving history on you. FAA will get these records to determine if you
> have a reportable alcohol-related MVA.

Emily[_1_]
August 19th 06, 12:22 AM
BTIZ wrote:
> but John... if you are a Sport Pilot and never apply for a medical..
> they don't have your consent on a form you never filed..

Well, they would if you ever applied for a medical before...

> BT
>
> "john smith" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> "Jim Burns" > wrote:
>>
>>> er, and the FAA scans the National Driver Register which will show
>>> convictions.
>> Maybe. According to the FAQ...
>>
>> Will FAA discover that I have an alcohol-related MVA if I don't report
>> it?
>> Yes, FAA Form 8500-8 "Application for Airmen Medical" contains an
>> express consent provision which authorizes the National Driver Register
>> (NDR) to release information about your driving record to FAA.
>> Information on the NDR record will contain pointers to states that keep
>> a driving history on you. FAA will get these records to determine if you
>> have a reportable alcohol-related MVA.

john smith
August 19th 06, 02:13 AM
In article >,
Emily > wrote:

> > but John... if you are a Sport Pilot and never apply for a medical..
> > they don't have your consent on a form you never filed..
>
> Well, they would if you ever applied for a medical before...

How long do they keep them? Isn't it three years?
Why do we have to reauthorize every medical if they already have it once?
Some sport pilots will never sign a medical so the FAA will not have an
authorization on file.
Suppose a pilot let his medical lapse because of a medical condition or
DUI/DWI? He hasn't been denied a new medical, so he can fly as a sport
pilot with a drivers license.
But he hasn't reported it either, so the FAA has no idea he is
ineligible.

Stache
August 19th 06, 02:36 AM
john smith wrote:
> In article >,
> Emily > wrote:
>
> > > but John... if you are a Sport Pilot and never apply for a medical..
> > > they don't have your consent on a form you never filed..
> >
> > Well, they would if you ever applied for a medical before...
>
> How long do they keep them? Isn't it three years?
> Why do we have to reauthorize every medical if they already have it once?
> Some sport pilots will never sign a medical so the FAA will not have an
> authorization on file.
> Suppose a pilot let his medical lapse because of a medical condition or
> DUI/DWI? He hasn't been denied a new medical, so he can fly as a sport
> pilot with a drivers license.
> But he hasn't reported it either, so the FAA has no idea he is
> ineligible.

All states report DUIDWIs to Oklahoma City air records branch. DUI/DWI
names can and are crossed referenced to registered aircraft and to
airman applications. If you think the FAA won't find out about a
DUI/DWI,think again they will and do.

Say for example you get a DUI and don't report it to the FAA and you
renew a pilot certificate (Light Sport) and have a check ride and
don't tell the check pilot who endorses you pilot log. This could be
considered "fraud" and a person will loose all the privileges. And
if you are caught hiding a DUI/DWI it now falls under Title 18 of the
U.S. Code. I don't thing anyone wants to chance that.

I would not want to be the first test case. The FAA takes a very dim
view on drugs and DUI/DWI's.

Since I will be in Oklahoma City next week I will walk over to the
legal office and ask the question and see what the legal folks think
about the driver license and DUI/DWI reporting.

Stache

Emily[_1_]
August 19th 06, 02:55 AM
Stache wrote:
<snip>

> Since I will be in Oklahoma City next week I will walk over to the
> legal office and ask the question and see what the legal folks think
> about the driver license and DUI/DWI reporting.

See now, you have more balls than I do. But I'm really curious now
(which is odd, since I'm paranoid about drinking and driving and never
ever chance it)

john smith
August 19th 06, 03:20 AM
In article om>,
"Stache" > wrote:

> Since I will be in Oklahoma City next week I will walk over to the
> legal office and ask the question and see what the legal folks think
> about the driver license and DUI/DWI reporting.

I will look forward to reading their reply.

Dave Stadt
August 19th 06, 04:59 AM
"Stache" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> john smith wrote:

>> > Well, they would if you ever applied for a medical before...
>>
>> How long do they keep them? Isn't it three years?
>> Why do we have to reauthorize every medical if they already have it once?
>> Some sport pilots will never sign a medical so the FAA will not have an
>> authorization on file.
>> Suppose a pilot let his medical lapse because of a medical condition or
>> DUI/DWI? He hasn't been denied a new medical, so he can fly as a sport
>> pilot with a drivers license.
>> But he hasn't reported it either, so the FAA has no idea he is
>> ineligible.
>

> All states report DUIDWIs to Oklahoma City air records branch. DUI/DWI
> names can and are crossed referenced to registered aircraft

You really have to look out for those aircraft that have a DUI or two on
their record.

and to
> airman applications. If you think the FAA won't find out about a
> DUI/DWI,think again they will and do.
>
> Say for example you get a DUI and don't report it to the FAA and you
> renew a pilot certificate (Light Sport)

Seeing as they never expire how does one renew a pilot certificate?

Stache
August 19th 06, 08:56 PM
> > Say for example you get a DUI and don't report it to the FAA and you
> > renew a pilot certificate (Light Sport)
>
> Seeing as they never expire how does one renew a pilot certificate?

Slipped up on that one didn't I. I keep thinking part 61 applies its
hard to remember the driver license stuff. Thats why we keep learning
stuff.

Stache

idiodiuck
July 27th 11, 10:40 AM
Please help! I am writing here from my friends computer because I feel some traffic at this site, I see users are reading here.
My computer broke! My LAPTOP broke. I was looking at many auctions and I am so confused what to select.
I don't know much about NETBOOK BRANDS, I feel so dumb and don't know where to BUY REFURBISHED NOTEBOOK. I found lemanskef.blogspot.com (you can see it here, direct link - "LAPTOP") (http://lemanskef.blogspot.com) - but they have so plenty of them so I am really confused what to buy. Can you please help me and tell me what to buy? I just did not find other stores then fashionlaptops.com site with a big choice. Please help to select something good and cheap.
I appreciate your help!

Google