PDA

View Full Version : Flight Envelopes

Michael Nyrup
August 20th 06, 04:42 PM
Hi,
I am looking for an Excel sheet or a dedicated program to generate flight
envelopes.

Please let me know if such exsists.

Best regards

BTIZ
August 20th 06, 05:56 PM
Please define "flight envelopes".
I have a copy of a cross country planner designed in excel.

BT

"Michael Nyrup" <aerosign-remove > wrote in message
> Hi,
> I am looking for an Excel sheet or a dedicated program to generate flight
> envelopes.
>
> Please let me know if such exsists.
>
> Best regards

Michael Nyrup
August 20th 06, 09:16 PM
> Please define "flight envelopes".

With "Flight Envelope" I mean a pictorial way of displaying the strength of
a plane. Load factor on the Y-axis and airspeed on X-axis. Va, Vne, Vd etc.
is plotted and you get a graphical presentation of the plane limitations.

I hope it is a little clearer...

Best regards
MN

BTIZ
August 20th 06, 11:58 PM
ok... that flight envelope..
I do not have a spreadsheet that would depict that for any given aircraft
given certain input information... but I'm sure someone does

"Michael Nyrup" <aerosign-remove > wrote in message
>> Please define "flight envelopes".
>
> With "Flight Envelope" I mean a pictorial way of displaying the strength
> of a plane. Load factor on the Y-axis and airspeed on X-axis. Va, Vne, Vd
> etc. is plotted and you get a graphical presentation of the plane
> limitations.
>
> I hope it is a little clearer...
>
> Best regards
> MN

john smith
August 21st 06, 01:47 AM
In article <FO5Gg.269$8J2.6@fed1read11>,
"BTIZ" > wrote:

> ok... that flight envelope..
> I do not have a spreadsheet that would depict that for any given aircraft
> given certain input information... but I'm sure someone does

> "Michael Nyrup" <aerosign-remove > wrote in message
> >> Please define "flight envelopes".
> >
> > With "Flight Envelope" I mean a pictorial way of displaying the strength
> > of a plane. Load factor on the Y-axis and airspeed on X-axis. Va, Vne, Vd
> > etc. is plotted and you get a graphical presentation of the plane
> > limitations.
> > I hope it is a little clearer...

I haven't made one for a year or two.
It is called a V-n or V-g diagram.
You can make it yourself.
You look up all the information in the POH/AFM.
Horizontal line is airspeed.
Vertical line is g-loading.
Top border is positive-g load limit.
Bottom border is negative-g load limit.
Right border is Vne.
Left border is Zero kts/mph.
The positive knee is at Va, Vs is another point at 1-g.
I would have to go back and review my sources, but this is what I recall
from memory.
I asked Cessna and Piper for the diagrams they generate based on flight
test data, but they would not provide it.

August 21st 06, 01:12 PM
Here's a "Flight Envelope" one of my buddies is working on:
http://www.personalblimp.com/index.html
See ya, Dave

BTIZ wrote:
> Please define "flight envelopes"...

Michael Nyrup
August 21st 06, 05:28 PM
> I haven't made one for a year or two.
> It is called a V-n or V-g diagram.
> You can make it yourself.
> You look up all the information in the POH/AFM.
> Horizontal line is airspeed.
> Vertical line is g-loading.
> Top border is positive-g load limit.
> Bottom border is negative-g load limit.
> Right border is Vne.
> Left border is Zero kts/mph.
> The positive knee is at Va, Vs is another point at 1-g.
> I would have to go back and review my sources, but this is what I recall
> from memory.
> I asked Cessna and Piper for the diagrams they generate based on flight
> test data, but they would not provide it.

I too have made a few by hand but its never as nice as it would be if
generated by excel or similar.

Uli
August 24th 06, 11:28 AM
Michael Nyrup wrote:

>> I haven't made one for a year or two.
>> It is called a V-n or V-g diagram.
>> You can make it yourself.
>> You look up all the information in the POH/AFM.
>> Horizontal line is airspeed.
>> Vertical line is g-loading.
>> Top border is positive-g load limit.
>> Bottom border is negative-g load limit.
>> Right border is Vne.

or Vd, if used for design and load calculations

>> Left border is Zero kts/mph.
>> The positive knee is at Va, Vs is another point at 1-g.
>> I would have to go back and review my sources, but this is what I recall
>> from memory.
>> I asked Cessna and Piper for the diagrams they generate based on flight
>> test data, but they would not provide it.
>
> I too have made a few by hand but its never as nice as it would be if
> generated by excel or similar.

and don't forget to consider gust loads. john described the manoevring
envelope which is only part of the flight envelope.

michael: for which purpose do you need the envelope? if you just want to
create a placard for your cockpit, refer to the POH; there you should find
any information needed. if you want to design a new airplane, refer to the
applicable certification specification which describes the flight envelope
pretty well (CS-22 in europe).

uli

Michael Nyrup
August 30th 06, 07:59 PM
> michael: for which purpose do you need the envelope? if you just want to
> create a placard for your cockpit, refer to the POH; there you should find
> any information needed. if you want to design a new airplane, refer to the
> applicable certification specification which describes the flight envelope
> pretty well (CS-22 in europe).

No I am not designing an airplane :-) I just want to have the envelopes with
me and be able to compare them between types. No problem, I can do it by
hand, it's just had been easier (and nicer) to enter the data and have it
plotted automatically.

Regards
Michael

Google