PDA

View Full Version : Re: Where can you get empty caulking gun tubes...

Jerry Wass
July 21st 03, 12:59 PM
Howdy Bart--
I also have some 1" i.d. silicone radiator hose in 3ft lengths, if you
haven't allready purchased the S.S. braided stuff-----You are using the
teflon lined for the fuel lines
& not the neoprene stuff aren't you?--Jerry

"Bart D. Hull" wrote:

> to dispense vinylester - mill fiber mixture in a even and fast manner to
> close out my top wing skins with no leaks in the tanks.
>
> I have heard about using plastic bags with the end cut off but I'm going
> to need to move alot of mixture in a short period.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> --
> Bart D. Hull
>
> Tempe,Arizona
>
> Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/engine.html for my Subaru Engine
> Conversion
> Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/fuselage.html for Tango II I'm
> building.

RobertR237
July 21st 03, 05:38 PM
In article >, "Bart D. Hull"
> writes:

>to dispense vinylester - mill fiber mixture in a even and fast manner to
> close out my top wing skins with no leaks in the tanks.
>
>I have heard about using plastic bags with the end cut off but I'm going
>to need to move alot of mixture in a short period.
>
>Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
>--
>Bart D. Hull

>Tempe,Arizona

I used plastic cake decorating bags which worked great. Before starting, I
measured the adhesive quantities into plastic cups and set aside the flox to go
into each mix. Had everything ready before mixing the first batch.

I mixed one batch of just adhesive (No flox) and let my wife paint it on the
bond areas to wet them out while I mixed the adhesive/flox batchs. Mixed one
batch at a time, placed the mix into cake decorating bag and used snap-tie to
tie off the top. If you place the cake decorating bag into a tall plastic cup
and open it up it is very easy to pour/scrap the mix into it. I would pour the
mix into the bag, shake it down and tie of the top, Cut the end and lay down a
thick bead on top of the wet adhesive.

It took just the two of us, my wife and I to do the entire wing close out in 40
minutes. I believe this is easier and faster than trying to use the tubes.

Bob Reed

"Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice,
(M.A.S.H. Sidney Freedman)

Veeduber
July 21st 03, 06:19 PM

>I have heard about using plastic bags with the end cut off but I'm going
>to need to move alot of mixture in a short period.

Dear Bart (and the Group),

If the 1-gallon Ziploc's aren't big enought (kinda hard to believe...) then
find a hardware store that caters to masons and buy yourself a couple of
'baker's bags.' Same idea as for decorating a cake but on an industrial scale;
used for accurately placing/dispensing mortor, filled epoxies, high-viscosity
urethanes, etc.

I believe you'll find the weak link in using caulk-gun tubes is filling the
things. With ziploc's and baker's bags you can do the mixing IN THE BAG, be
ready to place even fast-cure compounds as soon as the mix is uniform.

(Never used a baker's bag? Squeeze out all the air, hold it closed, give it an
easy spin... not too tight... then snip the corner according the size/shape of
bead you want to place. With a gallon-sized ziploc you can place about one
quart of mix; baker's bag can handle up to a full gallon. SOP for your
application, or applying 2-part sealant for riveted aluminum fuel tanks,
pontoon repairs, etc.)

-R.S.Hoover

Bart D. Hull
July 22nd 03, 12:10 AM
I'd be interested in seeing a pic of these.

Please send to .

Thanks
--

Jerry Wass wrote:
> How many do you want?/---I have a couple of hundred.----milky polyethylene
> with
> black plastic cup follower, nozzle end threaded --1/2" +- would have to
> check exact
> size---no nozzles, but could make one you could re-use. could send pic if
> interested.
> Jerry
>
> "Bart D. Hull" wrote:
>

>>to dispense vinylester - mill fiber mixture in a even and fast manner to
>> close out my top wing skins with no leaks in the tanks.
>>
>>I have heard about using plastic bags with the end cut off but I'm going
>>to need to move alot of mixture in a short period.
>>
>>Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bart Hull
July 22nd 03, 12:15 AM
Bob,

Hadn't thought about how to fill the cartridges. (That's another helpers
job right?) I like the idea of the zip lock bags but would prefer the
consistency to be thicker than I can push easily. I always make quite
the mess with a "bakery bag" and end up pushing stuff out the top.

Thanks for the advice.

--

--
Bart D. Hull

Tempe,Arizona

Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/engine.html for my Subaru Engine
Conversion
Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/fuselage.html for Tango II I'm
building.

Bart D. Hull
July 22nd 03, 12:17 AM
Richard,

Yep everything is vinylester and I think I'll stick with that. (Sorry
about the pun. ;-) ) I have even gone to the lengths of getting the
same type vinylester when I ran out of the first batch and the company
that sold my airplane kit was kaput.(At least they used a good resin.)

--

Richard Riley wrote:

> If you're doing something made of vinylester, you'll probably want to
> stick with it, but I've used Pro-Set adhesive for that purpose and
> love it. It comes in 2 tube sets, preratioed, with a special 2 tube
> gun and a static mixing nozzle. Comes out like bright green hair
> gell.
>

> On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 01:49:32 -0700, "Bart D. Hull" >
> wrote:
>
> :to dispense vinylester - mill fiber mixture in a even and fast manner to
> : close out my top wing skins with no leaks in the tanks.
> :
> :I have heard about using plastic bags with the end cut off but I'm going
> :to need to move alot of mixture in a short period.
> :
> :Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Blueskies
July 22nd 03, 01:28 AM
http://www.mcmaster.com/

Use search term "adhesive nozzle"

--
Dan D.

..
"Bart D. Hull" > wrote in message m...
> to dispense vinylester - mill fiber mixture in a even and fast manner to
> close out my top wing skins with no leaks in the tanks.
>
> I have heard about using plastic bags with the end cut off but I'm going
> to need to move alot of mixture in a short period.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> --
> Bart D. Hull
>
> Tempe,Arizona
>
> Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/engine.html for my Subaru Engine
> Conversion
> Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/fuselage.html for Tango II I'm
> building.

Ernest Christley
July 22nd 03, 02:12 AM
Veeduber wrote:

> (Never used a baker's bag? Squeeze out all the air, hold it closed, give it an
> easy spin... not too tight... then snip the corner according the size/shape of
> bead you want to place. With a gallon-sized ziploc you can place about one
> quart of mix; baker's bag can handle up to a full gallon. SOP for your
> application, or applying 2-part sealant for riveted aluminum fuel tanks,
> pontoon repairs, etc.)
>
> -R.S.Hoover

Question: This can't be used for epoxy layups, can it? I'm thinking of
what happens when that much expoxy starts to exotherm.

--
----Because I can----
http://www.ernest.isa-geek.org/

RobertR237
July 22nd 03, 02:15 AM
In article >, Bart Hull
> writes:

>Bob,
>
>Hadn't thought about how to fill the cartridges. (That's another helpers
>job right?) I like the idea of the zip lock bags but would prefer the
>consistency to be thicker than I can push easily. I always make quite
>the mess with a "bakery bag" and end up pushing stuff out the top.
>
>Thanks for the advice.

I used to have the same problem with the cake bags. I couldn't hold the top
tight enough while squeezing and some of the mix would always squeeze out. I
finally tried twisting the top and using some of those plastic zip-ties to
close it off. Works great and nothing comes out the top.

(Veeduber) writes:

>Dear Bart (and the Group),
>
>If the 1-gallon Ziploc's aren't big enought (kinda hard to believe...) then
>find a hardware store that caters to masons and buy yourself a couple of
>'baker's bags.' Same idea as for decorating a cake but on an industrial
>scale;
>used for accurately placing/dispensing mortor, filled epoxies, high-viscosity
>urethanes, etc.
>
>I believe you'll find the weak link in using caulk-gun tubes is filling the
>things. With ziploc's and baker's bags you can do the mixing IN THE BAG, be
>ready to place even fast-cure compounds as soon as the mix is uniform.
>
>(Never used a baker's bag? Squeeze out all the air, hold it closed, give it
>an
>easy spin... not too tight... then snip the corner according the size/shape
>of
>bead you want to place. With a gallon-sized ziploc you can place about one
>quart of mix; baker's bag can handle up to a full gallon. SOP for your
>application, or applying 2-part sealant for riveted aluminum fuel tanks,
>pontoon repairs, etc.)
>
>-R.S.Hoover

I won't disagree with anything you have said but really would recommend using
multiple smaller bags instead. The problem with using large bags and large
batches is that the pot life of epoxy and adhesives is directly related to the
size of the batch. The large the quantity mixed, the faster the reaction and
the shorter the pot life.

Bob Reed

"Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice,
(M.A.S.H. Sidney Freedman)

Veeduber
July 22nd 03, 02:50 AM
>The problem with using large bags and large
>batches is that the pot life of epoxy and adhesives is directly related to
>the
>size of the batch.

I think you'll find it's easier to put a small batch into a large bag than the
other way 'round :-)

I've found it best to assume everyone knows at least as much as I do about
engines, planes and who shot John. Steaming under those rules, if someone
shows signs of not having used a particular tool or technique, the mere mention
of it should be enough for them to determine if it can be applied to their
particular need.

That is, after leading the horse to water the rest of the job is up to the
horse :-)

-R.S.Hoover

Jerry Wass
July 22nd 03, 04:01 AM
ain't picked no cotton with Earl, but I bet it's neoprene lined-not
teflon--"taint near as good.--no cure date on teflon--indefinite shelf life.

"Bart D. Hull" wrote:

> I'm going with the braided stainless steel stuff with AN fittings
> (Automotive type - Earls.) as the 4 fuel lines go down the same tunnel
> as my oxygen lines and antenna cables. No soft stuff for me. Same goes
> for the brake lines, SS not nylaflow.
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Bart D. Hull
>
> Tempe,Arizona
>
> Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/engine.html for my Subaru Engine
> Conversion
> Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/fuselage.html for Tango II I'm
> building.
>
> Jerry Wass wrote:
>
> > Howdy Bart--
> > I also have some 1" i.d. silicone radiator hose in 3ft lengths, if you
> > haven't allready purchased the S.S. braided stuff-----You are using the
> > teflon lined for the fuel lines
> > & not the neoprene stuff aren't you?--Jerry
> >
> > "Bart D. Hull" wrote:
> >

> >>to dispense vinylester - mill fiber mixture in a even and fast manner to
> >> close out my top wing skins with no leaks in the tanks.
> >>
> >>I have heard about using plastic bags with the end cut off but I'm going
> >>to need to move alot of mixture in a short period.
> >>
> >>Any suggestions would be appreciated.
> >>
> >>--
> >>Bart D. Hull
>
> >>Tempe,Arizona
> >>
> >>Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/engine.html for my Subaru Engine
> >>Conversion
> >>Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/fuselage.html for Tango II I'm
> >>building.

Richard Lamb
July 22nd 03, 06:37 AM
Veeduber wrote:

> >I have heard about using plastic bags with the end cut off but I'm going
> >to need to move alot of mixture in a short period.

> Dear Bart (and the Group),
>
> If the 1-gallon Ziploc's aren't big enought (kinda hard to believe...) then
> find a hardware store that caters to masons and buy yourself a couple of
> 'baker's bags.' Same idea as for decorating a cake but on an industrial scale;
> used for accurately placing/dispensing mortor, filled epoxies, high-viscosity
> urethanes, etc.
>
> I believe you'll find the weak link in using caulk-gun tubes is filling the
> things. With ziploc's and baker's bags you can do the mixing IN THE BAG, be
> ready to place even fast-cure compounds as soon as the mix is uniform.

Or? Lay the mixed bags in the refrigerator while you mix some more.

> (Never used a baker's bag? Squeeze out all the air, hold it closed, give it an
> easy spin... not too tight... then snip the corner according the size/shape of
> bead you want to place. With a gallon-sized ziploc you can place about one
> quart of mix; baker's bag can handle up to a full gallon. SOP for your
> application, or applying 2-part sealant for riveted aluminum fuel tanks,
> pontoon repairs, etc.)
>
> -R.S.Hoover

RobertR237
July 22nd 03, 02:45 PM
In article >, Richard Lamb >
writes:

>> I believe you'll find the weak link in using caulk-gun tubes is filling the
>> things. With ziploc's and baker's bags you can do the mixing IN THE BAG,
>be
>> ready to place even fast-cure compounds as soon as the mix is uniform.
>>

>Or? Lay the mixed bags in the refrigerator while you mix some more.

I don't recommend mixing in the bag but the refrigerator idea has a lot of
merit if used for just short period to delay the reaction.

Bob Reed

"Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice,
(M.A.S.H. Sidney Freedman)

Robert Bonomi
July 22nd 03, 07:00 PM
In article >,
Veeduber > wrote:

>>I have heard about using plastic bags with the end cut off but I'm going
>>to need to move alot of mixture in a short period.

>Dear Bart (and the Group),
>
>If the 1-gallon Ziploc's aren't big enought (kinda hard to believe...) then

If 1-gallon ones aren't big enough, they make 2-1/2 gallon ones. You may have
to hunt to find 'em, but they _are_ avaialable.

jashawa9485
March 1st 11, 11:32 AM
Old thread, but I just bought some here...

http://www.multitechproducts.com/products/Empty-Caulking-Tubes-with-Plunger.html

They worked out great, glad I found out about these. I always just assumed you had to buy ones that were already filled.

OktjabrC
March 3rd 11, 05:36 PM
правая рука по правде живет.

Google