PDA

View Full Version : No Direct Flights?

Toks Desalu
August 31st 06, 05:06 AM
I wasn't too happy when I got the call from AA few minutes ago. I paid top
dollars to get on direct flight from Pittsburgh to Dallas. That flight would
leave first thing in the morning, 7am, I got the called few minutes ago and
was told that my flight was cancelled and they won't say the real reason
behind all this. Now, I am being forced to fly to New York before I can get
to Dallas. Refund or at least some of it? They simply laughed it off! I feel
that I am being treated as prisoner, NO FREEDOM! This is one of those
reasons that I have to consider owning a plane.

Anyway, any thought about Airlines' current operation? Do you think they
cancel on purpose to save bucks because of few seats?
Time for me to hit the sack since I have to get up in few hours.
Toks Desalu
PP-ASEL
"Dyin' to Soar"

Jim Macklin
August 31st 06, 05:31 AM
Do you feel better now?

"Toks Desalu" > wrote in message
|I wasn't too happy when I got the call from AA few minutes
ago. I paid top
| dollars to get on direct flight from Pittsburgh to Dallas.
That flight would
| leave first thing in the morning, 7am, I got the called
few minutes ago and
| was told that my flight was cancelled and they won't say
the real reason
| behind all this. Now, I am being forced to fly to New York
before I can get
| to Dallas. Refund or at least some of it? They simply
laughed it off! I feel
| that I am being treated as prisoner, NO FREEDOM! This is
one of those
| reasons that I have to consider owning a plane.
|
| Anyway, any thought about Airlines' current operation? Do
you think they
| cancel on purpose to save bucks because of few seats?
| Time for me to hit the sack since I have to get up in few
hours.
| Toks Desalu
| PP-ASEL
| "Dyin' to Soar"

Peter Duniho
August 31st 06, 06:15 AM
"Toks Desalu" > wrote in message
> [...]
> Anyway, any thought about Airlines' current operation? Do you think they
> cancel on purpose to save bucks because of few seats?

What I want to know is what's so hard about posting these airline rants to
alt.airlines or rec.travel.air or any of the other MUCH more appropriate
newsgroups?

Grumman-581[_1_]
August 31st 06, 07:14 AM
On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 22:15:08 -0700, "Peter Duniho"
> wrote:
> What I want to know is what's so hard about posting these airline rants to
> alt.airlines or rec.travel.air or any of the other MUCH more appropriate
> newsgroups?

Nawh, alt.idiots...

John Gaquin
August 31st 06, 07:43 AM
"Toks Desalu" > wrote in message

>I wasn't too happy when I got the call from AA few minutes ago. I paid top
> dollars to get on direct flight from Pittsburgh to Dallas. That flight
> would
> leave first thing in the morning, 7am, I got the called few minutes ago
> and
> was told that my flight was cancelled and they won't say the real reason
> behind all this.

1. Do you KNOW the real reason for the cancellation? If not, then how do
you know that they're not being truthful with you?

2. If you're going to minimize disappointments when flying, you have to
learn the language of aviation. I deal with business travellers on a daily
basis, hardened road warriors who manage to maintain their ignorance, and
repeatedly get highly ****ed when their "direct" flight stops enroute. If
you ask for the right thing, you'll often get it.

Toks Desalu
August 31st 06, 11:10 AM
Care to share the "secret" with us? I am sure that most of us would love to
hear it.

"John Gaquin" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Toks Desalu" > wrote in message
>
> >I wasn't too happy when I got the call from AA few minutes ago. I paid
top
> > dollars to get on direct flight from Pittsburgh to Dallas. That flight
> > would
> > leave first thing in the morning, 7am, I got the called few minutes ago
> > and
> > was told that my flight was cancelled and they won't say the real reason
> > behind all this.
>
> 1. Do you KNOW the real reason for the cancellation? If not, then how do
> you know that they're not being truthful with you?
>
> 2. If you're going to minimize disappointments when flying, you have to
> learn the language of aviation. I deal with business travellers on a
daily
> basis, hardened road warriors who manage to maintain their ignorance, and
> repeatedly get highly ****ed when their "direct" flight stops enroute. If
> you ask for the right thing, you'll often get it.

Bob Noel
August 31st 06, 11:34 AM
In article <vAyJg.8030$p23.4879@trnddc04>,
"Toks Desalu" > wrote:

> Care to share the "secret" with us? I am sure that most of us would love to
> hear it.

I believe the term is "non-stop"

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Steve Foley[_1_]
August 31st 06, 12:10 PM
Direct is not non-stop. Chances are it was headed towards Ernesto.

Also, it you really paid 'top dollar', it would have been a fully refundable
fare. You really need to read the fine print when you buy an airline ticket.

What kind of plane are you planning to buy that will get you from PIT to DFW
faster than an airline? Unless you're doing it weekly, you would be better
off with a charter.

"Toks Desalu" > wrote in message
> I wasn't too happy when I got the call from AA few minutes ago. I paid top
> dollars to get on direct flight from Pittsburgh to Dallas. That flight
would
> leave first thing in the morning, 7am, I got the called few minutes ago
and
> was told that my flight was cancelled and they won't say the real reason
> behind all this. Now, I am being forced to fly to New York before I can
get
> to Dallas. Refund or at least some of it? They simply laughed it off! I
feel
> that I am being treated as prisoner, NO FREEDOM! This is one of those
> reasons that I have to consider owning a plane.
>
> Anyway, any thought about Airlines' current operation? Do you think they
> cancel on purpose to save bucks because of few seats?
> Time for me to hit the sack since I have to get up in few hours.
> Toks Desalu
> PP-ASEL
> "Dyin' to Soar"

Ron Natalie
August 31st 06, 12:40 PM
Steve Foley wrote:
> Direct is not non-stop. Chances are it was headed towards Ernesto.
>
> Also, it you really paid 'top dollar', it would have been a fully refundable
> fare. You really need to read the fine print when you buy an airline ticket.
>
> What kind of plane are you planning to buy that will get you from PIT to DFW
> faster than an airline? Unless you're doing it weekly, you would be better
> off with a charter.

My Navion will get me from PIT to DFW in around 5 hours this morning
according to aeroplanner. The PIT-LGA-DFW flight this morning has
a elapsed time of 6 hours. Factor in getting to PIT early to clear
security, the fact that there might be closer airports to both the
origin and destination that PIT and DFW (the Navion only needs 1000
feet of runway), and the fact that I can depart when I choose, it's
looking like light GA is a winner on this route.

Montblack[_1_]
August 31st 06, 04:47 PM
("Toks Desalu" wrote)
[snips]
> This is one of those reasons that I have to consider owning a plane.
>
> Anyway, any thought about Airlines' current operation? Do you think they
> cancel on purpose to save bucks because of few seats?
>
> Time for me to hit the sack since I have to get up in few hours.
>
> "Dyin' to Soar"

If it means anything, I thought it was a good post for RAP.

Don't sweat the nattering nabobs.

Montblack

John Gaquin
August 31st 06, 04:54 PM
"Bob Noel" > wrote in message

> I believe the term is "non-stop"

Right. A direct flight goes from A to X, but may have multiple stops in
between. The "direct" term applies to the fact that passengers going to X
can take this flight all the way from A to X without changing planes. In
most (but not all) cases, the airline flight number of the flight also
remains the same.

A non-stop flight goes from A to X with no intermediate stops. After
takeoff from A, your next scheduled landing is at X.

Gig 601XL Builder
August 31st 06, 05:12 PM
"John Gaquin" > wrote in message

> "Bob Noel" > wrote in message
>>
>> I believe the term is "non-stop"
>

> Right. A direct flight goes from A to X, but may have multiple stops in
> between. The "direct" term applies to the fact that passengers going to X
> can take this flight all the way from A to X without changing planes. In
> most (but not all) cases, the airline flight number of the flight also
> remains the same.
>
> A non-stop flight goes from A to X with no intermediate stops. After
> takeoff from A, your next scheduled landing is at X.

This reminds me of the time when I was a CS agent for a small airline,
Scheduled Skyways. I believe it was an AA CS agent that got into a bit of a
tiff with a passenger that had been bumped from one of their DFW - BNA
(Nashville) flights.

Skyways was a commuter that had a flight that flew DFW-ELD-LIT-MEM-BNA with
a Metroliner. It was never meant to be a DFW - BNA 99% of the passengers on
the flight only flew 1 leg.

Well when this guy got bumped he really ****ed off the AA agent and he
demanded a direct flight. She gave him one. He wasn't happy when he got to
ELD I heard that only the threat of arrest calmed him down in MEM.

Grumman-581[_1_]
August 31st 06, 07:12 PM
On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 11:12:55 -0500, "Gig 601XL Builder"
<wrDOTgiaconaATcox.net> wrote:
> Skyways was a commuter that had a flight that flew DFW-ELD-LIT-MEM-BNA with
> a Metroliner. It was never meant to be a DFW - BNA 99% of the passengers on
> the flight only flew 1 leg.
>
> Well when this guy got bumped he really ****ed off the AA agent and he
> demanded a direct flight. She gave him one. He wasn't happy when he got to
> ELD I heard that only the threat of arrest calmed him down in MEM.

Well, it was only about 50 nm more than a non-stop flight, but I
suspect it took quite a bit longer... Probably spent more time on the
ground than in the air... <grin>
http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gcmap?PATH=32.897N+97.038W-33.221N+92.813W-34.729N+92.224W-35.042N+89.977W-36.124N+86.678W&MARKER=1

A few years back, we took a flight from Reno back to Houston via
Southwest... I believe the route was RNO-OAK-SAN-ELP-HOU...
http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gcmap?PATH=39.499N+119.768W-37.721N+122.221W-32.734N+117.190W-31.807N+106.378W-29.645N+95.279W&MARKER=1

By the time we took off from San Diego, I was rather tired the peanuts
and perky flight attendents... They wouldn't quit being perky, but
they game me pretzels for the last 2 legs of the flight... <grin>

I think that this flight was the one that impressed upon me that I
really should bring my own food and drinks for the flight...
Unfortunately, that's not that easy today thanks to the camel ****in'
Bedoin induced paranoia these days...

Newps
August 31st 06, 07:13 PM
This is about as interesting as reading about FORTRAN for christsakes.

Toks Desalu wrote:
> I wasn't too happy when I got the call from AA few minutes ago. I paid top
> dollars to get on direct flight from Pittsburgh to Dallas. That flight would
> leave first thing in the morning, 7am, I got the called few minutes ago and
> was told that my flight was cancelled and they won't say the real reason
> behind all this. Now, I am being forced to fly to New York before I can get
> to Dallas. Refund or at least some of it? They simply laughed it off! I feel
> that I am being treated as prisoner, NO FREEDOM! This is one of those
> reasons that I have to consider owning a plane.
>
> Anyway, any thought about Airlines' current operation? Do you think they
> cancel on purpose to save bucks because of few seats?
> Time for me to hit the sack since I have to get up in few hours.
> Toks Desalu
> PP-ASEL
> "Dyin' to Soar"

Beavis[_1_]
August 31st 06, 09:11 PM
In article <1ftJg.8857$pX3.465@trnddc07>,
"Toks Desalu" > wrote:

> I wasn't too happy when I got the call from AA few minutes ago. I paid top
> dollars to get on direct flight from Pittsburgh to Dallas.

For the benefit of all of us, how much did this "top dollar" ticket cost
you?

Morgans[_4_]
September 1st 06, 12:39 AM
"Peter Duniho" > wrote

> What I want to know is what's so hard about posting these airline rants to
> alt.airlines or rec.travel.air or any of the other MUCH more appropriate
> newsgroups?

Because he is a "member" of this group, with frequent good contributions,
and he is not a member of the other groups you mentioned?

Geeze, Pete! Find something more worthwhile to post off topic, like you
usually do.
--
Jim in NC

Steve Foley[_2_]
September 1st 06, 02:53 AM
"Ron Natalie" > wrote in message
m...

> My Navion will get me from PIT to DFW in around 5 hours this morning
> according to aeroplanner. The PIT-LGA-DFW flight this morning has
> a elapsed time of 6 hours. Factor in getting to PIT early to clear
> security, the fact that there might be closer airports to both the
> origin and destination that PIT and DFW (the Navion only needs 1000
> feet of runway), and the fact that I can depart when I choose, it's
> looking like light GA is a winner on this route.

What does that thing cruise at? (starting to turn green)

I show it as 925NM. Can you cruise at 185 knots?

Grumman-581[_1_]
September 1st 06, 03:16 AM
On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 12:13:03 -0600, Newps > wrote:
> This is about as interesting as reading about FORTRAN for christsakes.

You're totally wrong... FORTRAN is a *lot* more interesting...

Emily[_1_]
September 1st 06, 03:30 AM
Grumman-581 wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 12:13:03 -0600, Newps > wrote:
>> This is about as interesting as reading about FORTRAN for christsakes.
>
> You're totally wrong... FORTRAN is a *lot* more interesting...

FORTRAN still gives me nightmares.

Grumman-581[_1_]
September 1st 06, 03:51 AM
On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 21:30:36 -0500, Emily >
wrote:
> FORTRAN still gives me nightmares.

And dealing with the TSA monkeys gives you warm fuzzy feelings?

Emily[_1_]
September 1st 06, 03:52 AM
Grumman-581 wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 21:30:36 -0500, Emily >
> wrote:
>> FORTRAN still gives me nightmares.
>
> And dealing with the TSA monkeys gives you warm fuzzy feelings?

What, they don't make you feel safe and secure? I, for one, am glad we
have such upstanding citizens watching over our commercial
transportation system.

Grumman-581[_1_]
September 1st 06, 05:01 AM
On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 21:52:21 -0500, Emily >
wrote:
> What, they don't make you feel safe and secure? I, for one, am glad we
> have such upstanding citizens watching over our commercial
> transportation system.

Whatever you've been inhaling you need to stop it... I'm sure that it
will show up on your next flight medical...

Emily[_1_]
September 1st 06, 05:25 AM
Grumman-581 wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 21:52:21 -0500, Emily >
> wrote:
>> What, they don't make you feel safe and secure? I, for one, am glad we
>> have such upstanding citizens watching over our commercial
>> transportation system.
>
> Whatever you've been inhaling you need to stop it... I'm sure that it
> will show up on your next flight medical...

I was complaining today to a coworker about how I can't take contact
lens solution on the airplane. Her response was, "Would you rather the
airplane blew up?". I'm just trying on that mindset for size.

James Robinson
September 1st 06, 11:18 AM
Emily > wrote:

> I was complaining today to a coworker about how I can't take contact
> lens solution on the airplane.

You can take up to 4 oz of contact lens solution in your carry-on bag on a
commercial aircraft, and check the rest. A 4 oz travel size will last me
about 2 weeks, so I usually don't need any more than that.

Emily[_1_]
September 1st 06, 01:26 PM
James Robinson wrote:
> Emily > wrote:
>> I was complaining today to a coworker about how I can't take contact
>> lens solution on the airplane.
>
> You can take up to 4 oz of contact lens solution in your carry-on bag on a
> commercial aircraft, and check the rest. A 4 oz travel size will last me
> about 2 weeks, so I usually don't need any more than that.

I know that know. Didn't know it two weeks ago.

September 1st 06, 09:53 PM
Emily > wrote:
> Grumman-581 wrote:
> > On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 12:13:03 -0600, Newps > wrote:
> >> This is about as interesting as reading about FORTRAN for christsakes.
> >
> > You're totally wrong... FORTRAN is a *lot* more interesting...

> FORTRAN still gives me nightmares.

Ah, FORTRAN II-D, and the transitino to FORTRAN IV, now THAT was FUN!

Best regards,

Jer/ "Flight instruction and mountain flying are my vocations!"
--
Jer/ (Slash) Eberhard, Mountain Flying Aviation, LTD, Ft Collins, CO
CELL 970 231-6325 EMAIL jer<at>frii.com http://users.frii.com/jer/

Google