PDA

View Full Version : OT - Movie Night at the Inn, 4-month review

Jay Honeck
September 11th 06, 11:17 PM
Last spring you guys helped me pick out a high-def projector system,
with the intention of showing aviation movies in the hotel, for free,
every Tuesday night. Armed with your advice, I converted our meeting
room into a small, 25-seat theater, with surround-sound, for a very low
cost -- right around $2,000.

I also added a computer with MS Flight Simulator and X-Plane, with the
intention of letting folks "fly" the 104-inch screen as an in-house
flight simulator.

Just wanted to give you an update on how it's going:

We've shown 14 feature-length films (we've taken a few Tuesdays off),
an equal number of "specialty" aviation videos (documentaries, mostly),
and had one major "live" presentation (Bill Fox, the SR-71 Blackbird
expert who donated lots of stuff for our Blackbird Suite).

"Movie Night" has attracted a small group of dedicated aviation movie
regulars, and a larger number of occasional drop-ins, mostly from the
pilot community. Attendance has ranged from 4 to 30, depending on the
night. (A real trick, given our 25-seat capacity!)

The flight simulator has been a success, too, and has proven to be
quite popular. I haven't had time to add the "cockpit" and
yoke/pedals, but hopefully that will be added this winter.

Strangely, someone has always managed to smuggle adult beverages into
the theater, so no one is thirsty. We always provide snacks and soft
drinks, and someone usually leaves a few bucks on the table for us,
which generally covers the amenities.

In short, it's been great fun, and we've met a lot of great people
through this little side venture. Best of all, I was informed today
that our Chamber of Commerce is awarding us their coveted "Innovative
Business Award", at least partially because of our "Movie Night at the
Inn" program.

Has their been any downside? Well, some of the movies haven't been
great. "Blackhawk Down" was violent and depressing (and, of course,
that was the night we attracted some kids), and Frank Capra's "Prelude
to War" was almost unwatchably propagandistic. No one complains when
it's a free movie, but we still feel bad when the movie ends with a
groan.

On the other hand, Howard Hughes' "Hells Angels" was very well
received, as was "One Six Right" and the newly remastered "Spirit of
St. Louis". So things tend to even out.

I'm truly disappointed that Movie Night hasn't attracted younger folks.
As with general aviation as a whole, our regular crowd is older,
probably averaging 50+ years old. This is NOT the market we need to
attract, if we want GA to remain viable. We're hopeful that the
crowds will get younger over the winter, since there will be less
things to do in the evening when the weather gets cold.

As always, many thanks to everyone here for help and advice. The
equipment has proven to be easy to use and durable, the picture and
sound are hard to beat, and -- as always -- we're having a great time
with it!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Flyingmonk[_1_]
September 12th 06, 12:16 AM
Jay Honeck wrote:
<<SNIPPED for brevity>>

> Strangely, someone has always managed to smuggle adult beverages into
> the theater, so no one is thirsty. We always provide snacks and soft
> drinks, and someone usually leaves a few bucks on the table for us,
> which generally covers the amenities.

Now that's the 'America' that I grew up in. 8^)

MOnk

Jim Logajan
September 12th 06, 12:17 AM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote:
> I'm truly disappointed that Movie Night hasn't attracted younger folks.
> As with general aviation as a whole, our regular crowd is older,
> probably averaging 50+ years old. This is NOT the market we need to
> attract, if we want GA to remain viable.

But the older crowd has more discretionary income and recreation time
available than younger folks. For example, when choosing Recreation
Vehicles, younger people tend to purchase trailers averaging $14,000 while
the over 50 crowd tends to buy motorhomes averaging $60,000[1]. It seems to
me the discretionary income for the over 50 crowd is more in line with
general aviation costs than that of the younger crowd. Likewise, the over
50 crowd is likely to be empty-nest couples than the younger people who are
more likely to have to worry about traveling with children. Targeting older
people plays into the strength of GA's more numerous and generally cheaper
2-seat planes. Imagine how well general aviation would have done if it had
managed to attract a reasonable fraction of the 8.6 million Americans who
bought RVs (and I don't mean Van's Aircraft!)

So targeting younger folks is reaching out to the wrong demographic, IMHO.

[1] "Goin' Mobile - recreational vehicle touring - Brief Article -
Statistical Data Included"
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1571/is_15_17/ai_74011910

Tom Conner
September 12th 06, 12:24 AM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Has their been any downside? Well, some of the movies
> haven't been great. "Blackhawk Down" was violent and
> depressing....

I loved Blackhawk Down. Since I wasn't there I do not know how accurate it
was, but I felt it gave an excellent depiction of combat, and showed the
military to be the professionals that they are.

However, the scene with the white soldier being undercover in the all black
bazaar was hilarious. He certainly wasn't very incognito.

Margy Natalie
September 12th 06, 01:32 AM
Jay Honeck wrote:
> [...]
> it's a free movie, but we still feel bad when the movie ends with a
> groan.
>
> On the other hand, Howard Hughes' "Hells Angels" was very well
> received, as was "One Six Right" and the newly remastered "Spirit of
> St. Louis". So things tend to even out.
>
> I'm truly disappointed that Movie Night hasn't attracted younger folks.
> As with general aviation as a whole, our regular crowd is older,
> probably averaging 50+ years old. This is NOT the market we need to
> attract, if we want GA to remain viable. We're hopeful that the
> crowds will get younger over the winter, since there will be less
> things to do in the evening when the weather gets cold.
>
> As always, many thanks to everyone here for help and advice. The
> equipment has proven to be easy to use and durable, the picture and
> sound are hard to beat, and -- as always -- we're having a great time

Jay,

Have you put posters up at the university? That is sure to get the
younger crowd, but you might get 100 drunk kids.

Have fun! Wish we could come! Congratulations on the award.

Margy

Jim Burns
September 12th 06, 01:53 AM
Congrats! But you're gonna have to have a weekend matinee for us out of
state working types! :)
Jim

"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> [...]
> it's a free movie, but we still feel bad when the movie ends with a
> groan.
>
> On the other hand, Howard Hughes' "Hells Angels" was very well
> received, as was "One Six Right" and the newly remastered "Spirit of
> St. Louis". So things tend to even out.
>
> I'm truly disappointed that Movie Night hasn't attracted younger folks.
> As with general aviation as a whole, our regular crowd is older,
> probably averaging 50+ years old. This is NOT the market we need to
> attract, if we want GA to remain viable. We're hopeful that the
> crowds will get younger over the winter, since there will be less
> things to do in the evening when the weather gets cold.
>
> As always, many thanks to everyone here for help and advice. The
> equipment has proven to be easy to use and durable, the picture and
> sound are hard to beat, and -- as always -- we're having a great time

C. Massey
September 12th 06, 01:57 AM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> [...]
> it's a free movie, but we still feel bad when the movie ends with a
> groan.
>
> On the other hand, Howard Hughes' "Hells Angels" was very well
> received, as was "One Six Right" and the newly remastered "Spirit of
> St. Louis". So things tend to even out.
>
> I'm truly disappointed that Movie Night hasn't attracted younger folks.
> As with general aviation as a whole, our regular crowd is older,
> probably averaging 50+ years old. This is NOT the market we need to
> attract, if we want GA to remain viable. We're hopeful that the
> crowds will get younger over the winter, since there will be less
> things to do in the evening when the weather gets cold.
>
> As always, many thanks to everyone here for help and advice. The
> equipment has proven to be easy to use and durable, the picture and
> sound are hard to beat, and -- as always -- we're having a great time

As far as I am concerned Jay, this is exactly the reason that your hotel is
successful. You provide excellent customer service!

Gee wiz, let's spend $2,000 to make our customers happy.

Keep it up Jay!

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0637-0, 09/11/2006
Tested on: 9/11/2006 7:57:08 PM

Jay Honeck
September 12th 06, 02:08 AM
> > Has their been any downside? Well, some of the movies
> > haven't been great. "Blackhawk Down" was violent and
> > depressing....
>
> I loved Blackhawk Down. Since I wasn't there I do not know how accurate it
> was, but I felt it gave an excellent depiction of combat, and showed the
> military to be the professionals that they are.

Agreed, it was a good movie, in much the same way as "Saving Private
Ryan".

However, for a social get-together (which is really what Movie Night
is), you don't want a movie that is unrelentingly depressing, or so
violent and graphic that people are bummed out at the end.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jay Honeck
September 12th 06, 02:11 AM
> Have you put posters up at the university? That is sure to get the
> younger crowd, but you might get 100 drunk kids.

No, we've limited our movie notices to the "Friends of Iowa City
Airport" mailing list. We're trying to build an airport community
first, and attract new folks second.

> Have fun! Wish we could come! Congratulations on the award.

Hey, we're not THAT far apart. We were able to visit you before
supper, in one day! And we're flying a "POS Cherokee"...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jose[_1_]
September 12th 06, 02:21 AM
> No, we've limited our movie notices to the "Friends of Iowa City
> Airport" mailing list. We're trying to build an airport community
> first, and attract new folks second.

.... and that's probably best, since you are exhibiting these movies
publicly without payment to the copyright owner. You might be able to
make the argument that this is a private showing as is, but if you
advertise, you lose all of that.

Jose
--
There are more ways to skin a cat than there are cats.

Jay Honeck
September 12th 06, 02:25 AM
> ... and that's probably best, since you are exhibiting these movies
> publicly without payment to the copyright owner. You might be able to
> make the argument that this is a private showing as is, but if you
> advertise, you lose all of that.

Wrong. We are licensed to show these films by the Motion Picture
Licensing Authority (or whatever the heck they're called), and I've got
the stupid certificate to prove it.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jay Beckman
September 12th 06, 02:31 AM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>> ... and that's probably best, since you are exhibiting these movies
>> publicly without payment to the copyright owner. You might be able to
>> make the argument that this is a private showing as is, but if you
>> advertise, you lose all of that.
>
> Wrong. We are licensed to show these films by the Motion Picture
> Licensing Authority (or whatever the heck they're called), and I've got
> the stupid certificate to prove it.
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

Don't sweat it Jay,

If Jose isn't p*ssing in somebody's cornflakes...he isn't happy.

Jay B

Margy Natalie
September 12th 06, 02:33 AM
Jay Honeck wrote:
>>Have you put posters up at the university? That is sure to get the
>>younger crowd, but you might get 100 drunk kids.
>

> No, we've limited our movie notices to the "Friends of Iowa City
> Airport" mailing list. We're trying to build an airport community
> first, and attract new folks second.
>

>>Have fun! Wish we could come! Congratulations on the award.
>

> Hey, we're not THAT far apart. We were able to visit you before
> supper, in one day! And we're flying a "POS Cherokee"...
>
> ;-)
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

NO, the last airplane was the POS Cherokee!!! Ron gets his instrument
rating in a few weeks (10 PIC course) so that will help, but I start a
new job next Monday (Docent coordinator, Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center,
National Air and Space Museum) so that will limit our vacation time.
****er not working a school teacher's schedule!

Talk to you soon,

Margy

Matt Whiting
September 12th 06, 02:49 AM
Jay Honeck wrote:

> Has their been any downside? Well, some of the movies haven't been
> great. "Blackhawk Down" was violent and depressing (and, of course,
> that was the night we attracted some kids), and Frank Capra's "Prelude
> to War" was almost unwatchably propagandistic. No one complains when
> it's a free movie, but we still feel bad when the movie ends with a
> groan.
>
> On the other hand, Howard Hughes' "Hells Angels" was very well
> received, as was "One Six Right" and the newly remastered "Spirit of
> St. Louis". So things tend to even out.

Sounds like fun. Have you showed "We Were Soldiers?" I haven't seen
"Blackhawk Down", but I suspect We Were Soldiers" is equally depressing,
but it gave me, and my daughter, an entirely new appreciation for
Vietnam. I got so interested after the movie that I bought and read the
book. Even though it is about the Army, it is about the Air Cavalry so
fits with yout theme, I believe.

Matt

Jose[_1_]
September 12th 06, 02:52 AM
> Wrong. We are licensed to show these films by the Motion Picture
> Licensing Authority (or whatever the heck they're called), and I've got
> the stupid certificate to prove it.

Good for you! Then advertise away! (in early postings there was some
question about whether or not you thought it was needed)

Jose
--
There are more ways to skin a cat than there are cats.

Jay Honeck
September 12th 06, 04:07 AM
> Good for you! Then advertise away! (in early postings there was some
> question about whether or not you thought it was needed)

It's probably not needed, and it's certainly not worth it -- but
someone in this 'group reported us to the MPLA, after which they sent
us a nice letter "requesting" that we comply with their demands, or
face legal action.

At which point I discovered that this "association" was only requesting
$2.25 per week for "permission" to show movies for free. Suddenly the
issue didn't seem important enough to fight, so we bought a year's
worth of "license"...just so we could show free movies to pilots in our
own hotel.

Ain't America wonderful?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jose[_1_]
September 12th 06, 04:42 AM
> someone in this 'group reported us to the MPLA

For the record, it wasn't me. I would not do that.

> At which point I discovered that this "association" was only requesting
> $2.25 per week for "permission" to show movies for free. Suddenly the
> issue didn't seem important enough to fight, so we bought a year's
> worth of "license"...just so we could show free movies to pilots in our
> own hotel.

I'm actually surprised it's so little. Your comment implies that you
believe the money is unearned however. I would dispute that. It also
implies that you get no financial benefit from this. I would dispute
that too.

> Ain't America wonderful?

Yep.

Jose
--
There are more ways to skin a cat than there are cats.

Jon Woellhaf
September 12th 06, 06:32 AM
Jay Honeck wrote
> However, for a social get-together (which is really what Movie Night
> is), you don't want a movie that is unrelentingly depressing, or so
> violent and graphic that people are bummed out at the end.

How about Kill Bill I and II for next week. <g>

Jay Honeck
September 12th 06, 01:02 PM
> How about Kill Bill I and II for next week. <g>

Kill Bill was the worst movie I've ever seen, bar none.

Kill Bill II was actually watchable, but still bad...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

John Gaquin
September 12th 06, 05:02 PM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message

> Kill Bill was the worst movie I've ever seen, bar none.
>
> Kill Bill II was actually watchable, but still bad...

Now, this really rouses my curiosity. If Kill Bill was truly "...the worst
movie I've ever seen, bar none...", then what possible reason could you
have had for watching Kill Bill II? :-)

Gig 601XL Builder
September 12th 06, 05:55 PM
"John Gaquin" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
>>
>> Kill Bill was the worst movie I've ever seen, bar none.
>>
>> Kill Bill II was actually watchable, but still bad...
>
> Now, this really rouses my curiosity. If Kill Bill was truly "...the
> worst movie I've ever seen, bar none...", then what possible reason could
> you have had for watching Kill Bill II? :-)

I thought of that as well. Also, Kill Bill I & II wasn't like your normal
sequel. They were originally shot as one LONG movie. So what you are really
saying is you didn't like the first half of the movie and did like the
second half. I can say this about MANY movies.

Jay Honeck
September 12th 06, 07:56 PM
> >> Kill Bill II was actually watchable, but still bad...
> >
> > Now, this really rouses my curiosity. If Kill Bill was truly "...the
> > worst movie I've ever seen, bar none...", then what possible reason could
> > you have had for watching Kill Bill II? :-)

Trust me -- it was forced upon me! (There is a group of otherwise
intelllgent people that inexplicably think that "Kill Bill" is a
classic movie...)

> I thought of that as well. Also, Kill Bill I & II wasn't like your normal
> sequel. They were originally shot as one LONG movie. So what you are really
> saying is you didn't like the first half of the movie and did like the
> second half. I can say this about MANY movies.

Interesting. I think I was so prepared to watch a horrible movie that
my expectations were lowered to the point where "Kill Bill II" was
better than I expected...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Peter Duniho
September 13th 06, 12:59 AM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Trust me -- it was forced upon me! (There is a group of otherwise
> intelllgent people that inexplicably think that "Kill Bill" is a
> classic movie...)

I understand those people. I have a very hard time watching any Tarantino
movie. He has a violent streak a mile wide, and his idea of entertainment
just doesn't mesh with mine.

But, he is a true craftsman. The artistic value in his movies is there, and
can be appreciated by anyone who can get past the violence. Granted, it
takes a certain kind of person to be able to get past the violence, but I
don't think that makes his movies any lesser. Just less comprehensible to
the general public. :) I was not able to sit through either "Kill Bill"
movie, but even from the bits and pieces I caught while my wife watched it,
I could see that his usual attention to character development, plot,
interesting locales, and production values were all there.

(Sadly, I think that in fact the "general public" is far too immune to this
sort of violence...but on the bright side, it means that more people "get
it" when it comes to his movies).

Some of his "less-violent" films that I did really enjoy include "Jackie
Brown", "Four Rooms", and "Pulp Fiction" (yeah, I know...sad that "Pulp
Fiction" could be considered a "less-violent" film :) ).

Pete

Javier[_1_]
September 13th 06, 01:11 PM
> (Docent coordinator, Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center,
> National Air and Space Museum)

Congrats on the new job!

That is one seriously excellent place to visit. I took my 7 year old son
this past weekend (we also hit the NASM at The Mall), we were in awe.

This was my third visit to the NASM, walking in and seeing the Apollo
era ships and touching that little bit of the moon rock that they have
on exhibit never fails to give me goosebumps.

Come to think of it, I'm due for another visit to the Space Center in
Florida. Has anyone been there recently? I haven't visited it since 1990
or thereabouts.

-jav

Jay Honeck
September 13th 06, 02:33 PM
> Some of his "less-violent" films that I did really enjoy include "Jackie
> Brown", "Four Rooms", and "Pulp Fiction" (yeah, I know...sad that "Pulp
> Fiction" could be considered a "less-violent" film :) ).

The first time I watched "Pulp Fiction", I hated it -- but I was
mesmerized by John Travolta's performance. His performance as a
sleazy, psychopathic murderer was (IMO) amazing, and Tarantino should
be given credit for casting a former teen idol in this unlikely role.
Travolta really emerged as an "actor" in that film, for the first time.

I've since watched it several more times, and have come to appreciate
other parts of the movie, too. Samuel L. Jackson did a great job in
his role, too, as did many of the lesser parts -- but it's still WAY
too violent for me.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jay Beckman
September 13th 06, 02:59 PM
"Javier" > wrote in message
> > (Docent coordinator, Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center,
>> National Air and Space Museum)
>
> Congrats on the new job!
>
> That is one seriously excellent place to visit. I took my 7 year old son
> this past weekend (we also hit the NASM at The Mall), we were in awe.
>
> This was my third visit to the NASM, walking in and seeing the Apollo era
> ships and touching that little bit of the moon rock that they have on
> exhibit never fails to give me goosebumps.
>
> Come to think of it, I'm due for another visit to the Space Center in
> Florida. Has anyone been there recently? I haven't visited it since 1990
> or thereabouts.
>
> -jav

I did the long KSC bus tour just this past February and I'd highly reccomend
it...but then I was solidly a child of the "Space Race" era and an Apollo
geek.

The "new" Saturn V pavilion is worth the price of admission as is the bus
ride with stops at the VAB, the 39A/B viewing area near the beach (occupied
only by a remote camera during a launch...the sound pressure there would be
deadly to humans...) and the causeway from which you get a good view of the
USAF launch complex on one side, down to the old Mercury launch area on the
other.

If you get the time, go visit the Valiant Air Command museum too.

http://www.vacwarbirds.org/

Nice collection that probably gets overlooked some.

Regards,

Jay B

.Blueskies.
September 16th 06, 12:48 PM
:
: I also added a computer with MS Flight Simulator and X-Plane, with the
: intention of letting folks "fly" the 104-inch screen as an in-house
: flight simulator.
:
: Just wanted to give you an update on how it's going:
:

Do you have BAT*21 in the library?

Jay Honeck
September 16th 06, 01:08 PM
> Do you have BAT*21 in the library?

Eventually, I suspect we'll own every aviation flick ever made -- but
we don't have that one...yet.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Bob Noel
September 16th 06, 01:58 PM
In article . com>,
"Jay Honeck" > wrote:

> > Do you have BAT*21 in the library?
>
> Eventually, I suspect we'll own every aviation flick ever made -- but
> we don't have that one...yet.

Have you made a list of what you have and want you think would be
good to have/borrow?

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Jay Honeck
September 16th 06, 03:23 PM
> > Eventually, I suspect we'll own every aviation flick ever made -- but
> > we don't have that one...yet.
>
> Have you made a list of what you have and want you think would be
> good to have/borrow?

No, nothing quite so scientific. We just look in every bin at
Wal-Mart/Best Buy/wherever, whenever we're out shopping, and
occasionally find a juicy aviation flick to buy.

For the classics, however, we're pretty much stuck with Amazon.com.
That's where I was able to get "Spirit of St. Louis" on DVD, for
example. (It was released just days before we viewed it in the
theater. It's beautifully remastered...)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Bob Noel
September 16th 06, 04:05 PM
In article om>,
"Jay Honeck" > wrote:

> > Have you made a list of what you have and want you think would be
> > good to have/borrow?
>
> No, nothing quite so scientific. We just look in every bin at
> Wal-Mart/Best Buy/wherever, whenever we're out shopping, and
> occasionally find a juicy aviation flick to buy.

If you are at all like me, when you build up a substantial DVD library,
you'll forget what you have and what you'd like to buy.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Google