PDA

View Full Version : question for the USA FAR experts out there

September 29th 06, 02:59 PM
Does a pilot have to have a commercial rating to participate in a
venture in which he/she is *not* carrying paying passengers?

Any recent precedents?

~ted/2NO

HL Falbaum
September 29th 06, 03:45 PM
And remember that "compensation" includes logging PIC time for a higher
rating or privilege.

--
Hartley Falbaum

"T o d d P a t t i s t" > wrote in message
> wrote:
>
>>Does a pilot have to have a commercial rating to participate in a
>>venture in which he/she is *not* carrying paying passengers?
>
> Your question is not very specific. If you have only a
> private, you can't do two things under 61.113:
>
> 1) "act as pilot in command of an aircraft that is carrying
> passengers or property for compensation or hire," and
>
> 2) "for compensation or hire, act as pilot in command of an
> aircraft. "
>
> There are some exceptions, including towing gliders under
> exception (g). Your question seems to ask only about the
> first half of number 1, so there are lots of things you
> can't do with a private (and would need a commercial at
> least) beyond "carrying paying passengers."
>

> --
> T o d d P a t t i s t - "WH" Ventus C
> (Remove DONTSPAMME from address to email reply.)

flying_monkey[_1_]
September 29th 06, 03:49 PM
The reference would be FAR 61.113, I think. You can see that at
http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=7ff346f2bf54f8b6249e86d0c437daab&rgn=div5&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.1.2&idno=14#14:2.0.1.1.2.5.1.8
One critical thing you may be missing, from your post, is that the
prohibition is against carrying persons _or property_ for compensation
or hire. There are a lot of exceptions, including acting as a tow
pilot. The reg is contradictory on this point, and I haven't heard of
what I would consider to be an adequate precedent to settle this
matter. It says you can't fly for money, but you can be a tow pilot.
Can you get paid for being a tow pilot? Other than this one area, the
regs seam pretty clear.

Ed

wrote:
> Does a pilot have to have a commercial rating to participate in a
> venture in which he/she is *not* carrying paying passengers?
>
> Any recent precedents?
>
> ~ted/2NO

September 29th 06, 04:15 PM
Not carrying anything. Just flying and sitting on the ground having
pictures taken (from the ground). Nothing else. Hard to believe I'd
have to have a commercial license for that! But roolz are roolz and I
don't want to b0rk them.

Andy[_1_]
September 29th 06, 05:00 PM
wrote:
> Not carrying anything. Just flying and sitting on the ground having
> pictures taken (from the ground). Nothing else. Hard to believe I'd
> have to have a commercial license for that! But roolz are roolz and I
> don't want to b0rk them.

If you are being paid to fly in order to have you picture taken then
you would seem to need a commercial rating. If you just happen to be
flying and someone takes your picture then you do not.

Who, except you and the photographer, would know the difference.

Andy

Nyal Williams
September 29th 06, 10:02 PM
You might want to look at the rules about flying your
own aircraft in support of your own business, where
that travel is for meetings, sales, etc. but is not
about selling or demonstrating the aircraft.

At 14:00 29 September 2006, wrote:
>Does a pilot have to have a commercial rating to participate
>in a
>venture in which he/she is *not* carrying paying passengers?
>
>Any recent precedents?
>
>~ted/2NO

Vaughn Simon
September 29th 06, 10:25 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Does a pilot have to have a commercial rating to participate in a
> venture in which he/she is *not* carrying paying passengers?
>
> Any recent precedents?

You don't need a precedent, the FAR's will do just fine. In general, a
private pilot can't get paid to fly an airplane, with certain very narrow
exceptions. If you are not familar with the operative FAR's, you really need to
review them before you do whatever it is you are thinking about doing. Start
with 61.113 (a) and then very carefully read (b) thru (g), and then read it all
again.

Vaughn

BTIZ
September 30th 06, 04:47 AM
they could hire a model, or an actor.. to do that.. and not require a pilot
rating

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Not carrying anything. Just flying and sitting on the ground having
> pictures taken (from the ground). Nothing else. Hard to believe I'd
> have to have a commercial license for that! But roolz are roolz and I
> don't want to b0rk them.

Google