PDA

View Full Version : DAFIF fallout?

October 20th 06, 09:00 PM
I for one decided to shut down my flight planning software business
(AirPlan) because:

1. My sales were not stellar, and

2. Without the DAFIF, I could no longer offer worldwide coverage, and
I have a significant number of customers outside the Americas.

How many other aviation products that used the DAFIF are also going
away? Any yet?

Dean Wilkinson

October 23rd 06, 02:46 AM
wrote:
> I for one decided to shut down my flight planning software business
> (AirPlan) because:
>
> 1. My sales were not stellar, and
>
> 2. Without the DAFIF, I could no longer offer worldwide coverage, and
> I have a significant number of customers outside the Americas.
>
> How many other aviation products that used the DAFIF are also going
> away? Any yet?
>
> Dean Wilkinson

There are a number of GPS systems that depend on DAFIF.

Pilots should write their Congressperson and complain. The DAFIF
charts are paid for with tax money and making them available for
download on the internet costs very little.

There is really no way to get charts of this quality from other
sources, much less inexpensively.

Taxpayers are paying for them and the pilot community
has lost an important resource

October 24th 06, 09:33 PM
Unfortunately the information from that site isn't formatted in a
database format... i.e. I can't get all of the worldwide airport data
in a single file using it... Getting the data and having to re-enter
it manually isn't of much use.

Also, sales in the U.S. which has always been my biggest market have
fallen off to the point where it isn't a viable business...

Thanks!

Dean

Peter wrote:
> wrote:
>
> >I for one decided to shut down my flight planning software business
> >(AirPlan) because:
> >
> >1. My sales were not stellar, and
> >
> >2. Without the DAFIF, I could no longer offer worldwide coverage, and
> >I have a significant number of customers outside the Americas.
> >
> >How many other aviation products that used the DAFIF are also going
> >away? Any yet?
> >
> >Dean Wilkinson
>
> You can get navaid details, and much more, from Eurocontrol
> www.ead.eurocontrol.int (free registration). There are lots of reports
> you can run. Eurocontrol also have a software product called Skyview
>
> http://www.eurocontrol.int/ais/skyview2/index.htm
>
> which can, I believe, generate reports, and crude charts. That site
> also contains links to servers which can deliver terrain scenery, but
> I could never get that side to work.
>
> No enroute charts though; the US ONC/TPC charts are the only charts
> available for much of the world.
>
> I've never heard of Airplan - is it this:
>
> http://www.razorsedgesoft.com/
>
> It looks like a nice product. I spent enough time playing with this
> stuff myself: http://www.peter2000.co.uk/ls800/index.html
>
> I see your screen shots are all from the USA, but the US sectionals
> will continue to be available. And European sectionals (enroute
> charts) have never been available for free anyway.

Google