PDA

View Full Version : 737 rudder problems of the past

Todd Tomorrow
November 15th 06, 08:00 PM
I'm gonna be taking 3 flights on Continental 737s around the country
in the next week or so. I've flown on many 737s in the past, but
was just curious on what finally was done about the rudder hardover
problem. Most recent stuff I can find is from around 2000, when
there was going to be some 'patches' and training without re-design.
Anybody know the latest?

Buck Murdock
November 15th 06, 09:47 PM
In article >,
"Todd Tomorrow" > wrote:

> I'm gonna be taking 3 flights on Continental 737s around the country
> in the next week or so. I've flown on many 737s in the past, but
> was just curious on what finally was done about the rudder hardover
> problem.

A redesigned rudder power control unit and accessories was designed and
shipped by Boeing starting in 2002. I *believe* all of Continental's
older 737s have already been modified with the new unit, and a great
deal of their flight is newer next-generation 737's.

> Most recent stuff I can find is from around 2000, when
> there was going to be some 'patches' and training without re-design.

Yep, that's old information. The training was in how to deal with it
until a redesigned part is installed, which it now is.

Boeing has made over 5,000 737's, and one takes off or lands every five
seconds or so without incident. You'll be very safe on your trip.

November 15th 06, 10:22 PM
Buck Murdock wrote:
> In article >,
> "Todd Tomorrow" > wrote:
>
> > I'm gonna be taking 3 flights on Continental 737s around the country
> > in the next week or so. I've flown on many 737s in the past, but
> > was just curious on what finally was done about the rudder hardover
> > problem.
>
> A redesigned rudder power control unit and accessories was designed and
> shipped by Boeing starting in 2002. I *believe* all of Continental's
> older 737s have already been modified with the new unit, and a great
> deal of their flight is newer next-generation 737's.
>
> > Most recent stuff I can find is from around 2000, when
> > there was going to be some 'patches' and training without re-design.
>
> Yep, that's old information. The training was in how to deal with it
> until a redesigned part is installed, which it now is.
>
> Boeing has made over 5,000 737's, and one takes off or lands every five
> seconds or so without incident. You'll be very safe on your trip.

Ditto.

Dan Luke
November 15th 06, 10:47 PM
"Buck Murdock" wrote:

> Boeing has made over 5,000 737's, and one takes off or lands every five
> seconds or so without incident. You'll be very safe on your trip.

Yet, AFAIK, no smoking gun for the supposed rudder hard-over crashes was ever
found. The retrofits were a based on a best guess, right?

--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM

Mxsmanic
November 16th 06, 05:03 AM
Dan Luke writes:

> Yet, AFAIK, no smoking gun for the supposed rudder hard-over crashes was ever
> found. The retrofits were a based on a best guess, right?

Yes, but it was a very likely guess, as the parts that were involved
were consistently isolated to be the same. I think the only remaining
mystery was the original cause, but by modifying things presumably
whatever the original cause was would not have the same effect again.

Barney Rubble
November 16th 06, 07:01 PM
"You'll be very safe on your trip."
Or very, very unlucky. But this could be said about anything you do in
life....

.Blueskies.
November 18th 06, 02:02 AM
"Todd Tomorrow" > wrote in message ...
: I'm gonna be taking 3 flights on Continental 737s around the country
: in the next week or so. I've flown on many 737s in the past, but
: was just curious on what finally was done about the rudder hardover
: problem. Most recent stuff I can find is from around 2000, when
: there was going to be some 'patches' and training without re-design.
: Anybody know the latest?
:
:

Odds are better that you will hit an opposite direction business jet...

Google