PDA

View Full Version : Happy Thanksgiving!

Jay Honeck
November 23rd 06, 04:00 PM
To all the American pilots and aviation enthusiasts who have made this
group so fun and educational for me over the years, please accept my
heartfelt thanks and best wishes on this Thanksgiving holiday!

We have so much to be thankful for, here in the United States (and so
much to be concerned with, of course) -- but suffice it to say that (as
long as we keep the blue up and the brown down) we are blessed to live
where we live. And we are even more blessed to be able to partake in
this joyous thing we call "aviation". What an amazing time to be
alive!

And, to all of our friends from outside the USA, well, I can only hope
that y'all have a a holiday sorta like "Thanksgiving" in *your* country
-- cuz it's by FAR the best holiday of the year!

:-)

Happy Thanksgiving!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jose[_1_]
November 23rd 06, 04:18 PM
> (as long as we keep the blue up and the brown down)

Hey.. what about aerobatic pilots? :)

Jose
--
"There are 3 secrets to the perfect landing. Unfortunately, nobody knows
what they are." - (mike).

karl gruber[_1_]
November 23rd 06, 04:36 PM
I spent the afternoon yesterday making apple pies, my mother's and her
mother's crust recipe.

1 cup flour
1 cube butter
1 teaspoon salt

For the crust, there is no substitute for real butter. It was pouring down
rain and thunderstorms. But today I see a patch of blue. I think I'll fly
out and circle her grave.

Best wishes to all of you, including the great pilots who just like to vent
their every day frustrations on RAP's willing victims.

And...............................MERRY CHRISTMAS..............just around
the corner.

Karl
"Curator" N185KG
Fusion is the key to world peace.

"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> To all the American pilots and aviation enthusiasts who have made this
> group so fun and educational for me over the years, please accept my
> heartfelt thanks and best wishes on this Thanksgiving holiday!
>
> We have so much to be thankful for, here in the United States (and so
> much to be concerned with, of course) -- but suffice it to say that (as
> long as we keep the blue up and the brown down) we are blessed to live
> where we live. And we are even more blessed to be able to partake in
> this joyous thing we call "aviation". What an amazing time to be
> alive!
>
> And, to all of our friends from outside the USA, well, I can only hope
> that y'all have a a holiday sorta like "Thanksgiving" in *your* country
> -- cuz it's by FAR the best holiday of the year!
>
> :-)
>
> Happy Thanksgiving!
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

Dylan Smith
November 23rd 06, 04:39 PM
On 2006-11-23, Jay Honeck > wrote:
> To all the American pilots and aviation enthusiasts who have made this
> group so fun and educational for me over the years, please accept my
> heartfelt thanks and best wishes on this Thanksgiving holiday!

Just a workday for us. But also Election Day too - polls open from 8am
to 8pm. Not that you'll hear about the national elections for an island
of less than 80,000 people - even if it is the longest continuously
running democratic parliament in the world, and the first in the world
to grant women suffrage.

Jay Honeck
November 23rd 06, 07:19 PM
> For the crust, there is no substitute for real butter. It was pouring down
> rain and thunderstorms. But today I see a patch of blue. I think I'll fly
> out and circle her grave.

What a wonderful way to pay tribute.

Enjoy the pies!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Montblack
November 23rd 06, 10:01 PM
("karl gruber" wrote)
> Best wishes to all of you, including the great pilots who just like to
> vent their every day frustrations on RAP's willing victims.

This year we're (SLOW) cooking a Thanksgiving pot roast - our favorite dish
the rest of the year.

Wonderful piece of meat
Jim Burns Potatoes
Fresh radishes
Fresh (organic) baby peeled carrots
Apple slices - to be added latter (the last hour)
Two CD size (1/2 inch thick) onion slices under the meat
Two more giant onion slices on top of the meat
Water - no onion soup mix (too much salt)
Cover with tin foil for 3.5 hours
4.5 hours total @ 275F

We'll eat at 2300Z

Happy Thanksgiving r.a.p.

Montblack
Six Grain Belt Premium beers have also been ICED down ...for the meal.

Newps
November 23rd 06, 10:44 PM
Montblack wrote:

> ("karl gruber" wrote)
>
>>Best wishes to all of you, including the great pilots who just like to
>>vent their every day frustrations on RAP's willing victims.
>

> This year we're (SLOW) cooking a Thanksgiving pot roast - our favorite dish
> the rest of the year.

Prime rib here. She's almost done.....

Greg Farris
November 23rd 06, 11:38 PM
In article >,
says...

>("karl gruber" wrote)
>> Best wishes to all of you, including the great pilots who just like to
>> vent their every day frustrations on RAP's willing victims.
>

>This year we're (SLOW) cooking a Thanksgiving pot roast - our favorite dish
>the rest of the year.
>
>Wonderful piece of meat
>Jim Burns Potatoes
>Fresh radishes
>Fresh (organic) baby peeled carrots
>Apple slices - to be added latter (the last hour)
>Two CD size (1/2 inch thick) onion slices under the meat
>Two more giant onion slices on top of the meat
>Water - no onion soup mix (too much salt)
>Cover with tin foil for 3.5 hours
>4.5 hours total @ 275F
>
>We'll eat at 2300Z
>
>Happy Thanksgiving r.a.p.
>

>Montblack
>Six Grain Belt Premium beers have also been ICED down ...for the meal.

Per person, I hope you mean. . . Sounds great otherwise

I would do Champagne before the meal, wine with the meal and save the beers
just on the off chance there's a poker game later on . . .

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Matt Barrow
November 24th 06, 01:47 AM
"Newps" > wrote in message

> Montblack wrote:
>
>> ("karl gruber" wrote)
>>
>>>Best wishes to all of you, including the great pilots who just like to
>>>vent their every day frustrations on RAP's willing victims.
>>

>> This year we're (SLOW) cooking a Thanksgiving pot roast - our favorite
>> dish the rest of the year.
>

> Prime rib here. She's almost done.....

Caribou venison! Yummmm!

N2310D
November 24th 06, 02:23 AM
Because I'm fond of turkey, I do about four of them a year. My favorite
preparation is 'Dinde a la Rotesserie.' [Je ne parle pas bien Francaise --
or spell it either] That is turkey cooked on the rotisserie over charcoal
with liberal applications of wet hickory chips. Maybe four hours roasting
time if there is a breeze. Three and a half in still air, that happens once
every seven or eight years around here. The result is so tender that the
spit has to be handled gently else you shake the meat off. Talk about moist!
You know those three cups of drippings you get when you bake a turkey in a
pan? I'm lucky if I can catch a half cup under these birds -- the rest stays
in the meat.
I love living in the Mojave Desert.
Top it off with baked yams (brown sugar and marshmallow glaze), mashed
potatoes with giblet gravy, broccoli (sometimes green beans, in season).
servee with a couple bottles of home made golden zinfandel wine, and top it
all off with pumkin and blueberry pies served with fresh brewed coffee.

Hey, Ma! Is it time for fourths yet?

Montblack
November 24th 06, 02:54 AM
("N2310D" wrote)
> I love living in the Mojave Desert.

....cooked on the rotisserie over charcoal with liberal applications of wet
hickory chips

....cooked on the rotisserie over charcoal with liberal applications of wet
hickory chips

....cooked on the rotisserie over charcoal with liberal applications of wet
hickory chips

....cooked on the rotisserie over charcoal with liberal applications of wet
hickory chips

"Come for the winters - stay for the turkey!"

Montblack
Do you have an available spare room over the garage?

Jay Honeck
November 24th 06, 03:04 AM
>> This year we're (SLOW) cooking a Thanksgiving pot roast - our favorite
> >> dish the rest of the year.
> >
> > Prime rib here. She's almost done.....
>
> Caribou venison! Yummmm!

This is one meal we simply don't mess with -- it's traditional all the
way:

That means a slow-roasted whole turkey, Grandma's apple & raisin
stuffing, Jim Burns' mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, creamed
corn, hot and cold cranberries, fresh-baked rolls, candied yams with
marshmallows on top, with pumpkin and German fruit pies (fresh baked,
or course) for dessert.

Ala mode, of course. With whipped cream on top.

Mary won't even consider changing that wonderful, tried & true menu,
and I (*burp*) am not about to argue. Two glasses of wine with the
meal, and a few beers afterwards, and I'm ready for slzzzzzzzzz....

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

RST Engineering
November 24th 06, 03:19 AM
Pretty much the same recipe here, except that I do the turkey in the smoker
with wet hickory chips over the charcoal, stuffed with sausage dressing and
covered with bacon strips. Crumble the bacon strips into the fresh green
beans with slivered almonds about an hour before the turkey is ready...about
8 hours in the smoker.

For three days before the event, the turkey is cold-soaked (in the unheated
garage) in a 5% brine solution into which pickling spice is pureed, about
three or four tablespoons of pickling spice blended into microscopic pieces
in a blender.

Dessert is a pumpkin-cream cheese-lotsaspices base over which is poured a
sour cream - brown sugar - vanilla - brandy topping about a quarter of an
inch thick and refrigerated for about 24 hours. About 20 proof the way I
measure it.

Christmas follows pretty much the same pattern except that I use cherry pie
mix instead of the pumpkin in the pie and go easy on the spices and heavy on
the brandy.

Jim

"N2310D" > wrote in message

> Because I'm fond of turkey, I do about four of them a year.

November 24th 06, 04:27 AM
Dylan Smith wrote:

> Not that you'll hear about the national elections for an island
> of less than 80,000 people - even if it is the longest continuously
> running democratic parliament in the world, and the first in the world
> to grant women suffrage.

Also home to the coolest motorcycle race in the world... You're live
on the Isle of Man right?

Andrew Gideon
November 24th 06, 05:49 AM
After some of the described meals, I can only warn: watch the W&B, all.

- Andrew

Dylan Smith
November 24th 06, 10:51 AM
On 2006-11-24, > wrote:
> Also home to the coolest motorcycle race in the world... You're live
> on the Isle of Man right?

Yes - and 2007 is the 100th anniversary of the TT Races too...

Jay Honeck
November 24th 06, 12:37 PM
> After some of the described meals, I can only warn: watch the W&B, all.

That's why we own a Pathfinder. With a 1460 pound useful load, there
is never a worry about weight, and I've never loaded it out of balance
yet.

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Judah
November 24th 06, 03:03 PM
"N2310D" > wrote in news:uIs9h.6495$w37.1014@trnddc08:

> I love living in the Mojave Desert.

You don't have to live in the Mojave Desert to cook your Thanksgiving meal on
the BBQ...

My brother-in-law in New York cooked a ham on the BBQ yesterday. Of course it
was about 45* and pouring rain. But he's pretty dedicated. And my family
reaped the benefits, so no one tried very hard to stop him.

Last year, he did the same for Christmas. It didn't snow on Christmas day,
but he did have to dig out an area for the BBQ from snow from the week
before...

Morgans[_2_]
November 24th 06, 04:11 PM
"Judah" > wrote

> My brother-in-law in New York cooked a ham on the BBQ yesterday. Of course it
> was about 45* and pouring rain. But he's pretty dedicated. And my family
> reaped the benefits, so no one tried very hard to stop him.
>
> Last year, he did the same for Christmas. It didn't snow on Christmas day,
> but he did have to dig out an area for the BBQ from snow from the week
> before...

Ahh, the joys of living in NC! Yesterday, it was about 65 degrees, and is
about that on many Thanksgivings. Christmas will often have temps around the
50's, with seldom any snow.

Just in case there is snow, or rain when I want to cook outside, I have a 18' by
28' covered back porch, with two sides against the house to block the wind.
Makes grilling out a non issue, in most any weather.

An electric slow cooker is also a great way to cook a turkey. It has a place to
put your wet hickory chips, and a pan above the burner and chips to keep water
in, to make the heat moist. No dried out turkey for me!

Soaking the bird in brine before cooking works great, too. Just warn your
guests to taste it before they salt it. <g>
--
Jim in NC

john smith
November 24th 06, 04:12 PM
Montblack... "Jim Burns potatos"

Jay Honneck... "Jim Burns potatos"

Can you buy these potatos online?

(BTW, Jim Burns didn't mention what he was having.)

Jim Burns[_1_]
November 24th 06, 04:27 PM
Sorry, can't buy them online, they're available in limited quanties at the
Alexis Park Inn Produce Store. We haven't shipped many to Ohio lately, a
couple loads to Wal Mart in Washington Courthouse last week, but that's all,
and they don't buy our large sizes.

Turkey
Ham
Mashed potatoes
Stuffing
Mixed vegetables
Home made rolls
Cranberries
Fruit salads
Pumpkin pie
Apple pie
Chocolate pie
Alka Seltzer
Tums
Excedrin

Jim

"john smith" > wrote in message
> Montblack... "Jim Burns potatos"
>
> Jay Honneck... "Jim Burns potatos"
>
> Can you buy these potatos online?
>
> (BTW, Jim Burns didn't mention what he was having.)

Steve Foley[_2_]
November 24th 06, 06:09 PM
"karl gruber" > wrote in message
>I spent the afternoon yesterday making apple pies, my mother's and her
>mother's crust recipe.
>
> 1 cup flour
> 1 cube butter

What is a cube of butter?

> 1 teaspoon salt
>
> For the crust, there is no substitute for real butter. It was pouring down
> rain and thunderstorms. But today I see a patch of blue. I think I'll fly
> out and circle her grave.
>
> Best wishes to all of you, including the great pilots who just like to
> vent their every day frustrations on RAP's willing victims.
>
> And...............................MERRY CHRISTMAS..............just around
> the corner.
>
> Karl
> "Curator" N185KG
> Fusion is the key to world peace.
>

> "Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> ps.com...
>> To all the American pilots and aviation enthusiasts who have made this
>> group so fun and educational for me over the years, please accept my
>> heartfelt thanks and best wishes on this Thanksgiving holiday!
>>
>> We have so much to be thankful for, here in the United States (and so
>> much to be concerned with, of course) -- but suffice it to say that (as
>> long as we keep the blue up and the brown down) we are blessed to live
>> where we live. And we are even more blessed to be able to partake in
>> this joyous thing we call "aviation". What an amazing time to be
>> alive!
>>
>> And, to all of our friends from outside the USA, well, I can only hope
>> that y'all have a a holiday sorta like "Thanksgiving" in *your* country
>> -- cuz it's by FAR the best holiday of the year!
>>
>> :-)
>>
>> Happy Thanksgiving!
>> --
>> Jay Honeck
>> Iowa City, IA
>> Pathfinder N56993
>> www.AlexisParkInn.com
>> "Your Aviation Destination"

RST Engineering
November 24th 06, 06:32 PM
To a mathematician, a misnomer for a solid of rotation by a rectangle
rotated through its longitudinal axis with a surface drawn every 90° of
revolution.

To a metricist, 4 ounces or 114 grams (usually rounded to 100 grams).

To a cook, butter (US) comes in one pound packages and divided and wrapped
into four "sticks" or cubes to the pound.

Jim

"Steve Foley" > wrote in message

>> 1 cube butter
>
> What is a cube of butter?

Jose[_1_]
November 24th 06, 06:46 PM
> To a mathematician, a misnomer for a solid of rotation by a rectangle
> rotated through its longitudinal axis with a surface drawn every 90° of
> revolution.

Huh? Solids of rotation are cylinders. Draw surfaces anywhere you
want, you won't get a cube. Unless by "misnomer" you mean "not at all
connected with reality" :)

> To a cook, butter (US) comes in one pound packages and divided and wrapped
> into four "sticks" or cubes to the pound.

We call them sticks. Never called them cubes.

But, to a traveller, a cube is a rectangular cloth pouch for packing
clothing inside a suitcase - a genius application of "containerized
baggage".

Jose
--
"There are 3 secrets to the perfect landing. Unfortunately, nobody knows
what they are." - (mike).

Montblack
November 24th 06, 07:01 PM
("john smith" wrote)
> Montblack... "Jim Burns potatos"
>
> Jay Honneck... "Jim Burns potatos"
>
> Can you buy these potatos online?
>
> (BTW, Jim Burns didn't mention what he was having.)

Margene said, "Be sure to tell Jim we had a Burns Potato with our roast and
....IT WAS DELICIOUS!"

Send me your address using the "Bat Channel" and I'll send you a Burns
Potato.

(With STRICT appreciation for the fact that we're NOT to allow said sample
to freeze - insulated shipping box!)

Montblack
....or is it the "Back" Channel? <g>

vi
si
(.)co

RST Engineering
November 24th 06, 07:08 PM
No sir, solids of REVOLUTION are cylinders. Solids of ROTATION can be given
as many sides as there are "stops" to draw a plane surface on the solid at
that angle of rotation. A stop every 90° gives you what the topologist
might call a longitudinally elongated cube. A regular cube by definition
has six equal sides.

Jim

"Jose" > wrote in message
m...
>> To a mathematician, a misnomer for a solid of rotation by a rectangle
>> rotated through its longitudinal axis with a surface drawn every 90° of
>> revolution.
>
> Huh? Solids of rotation are cylinders. Draw surfaces anywhere you want,
> you won't get a cube. Unless by "misnomer" you mean "not at all connected
> with reality" :)

Morgans[_2_]
November 24th 06, 07:29 PM
"Jim Burns" > wrote

> Turkey
> Ham
> Mashed potatoes
> Stuffing
> Mixed vegetables
> Home made rolls
> Cranberries
> Fruit salads
> Pumpkin pie
> Apple pie
> Chocolate pie
> Alka Seltzer
> Tums
> Excedrin
>
> Jim

It's all that starch in the potatoes that are giving you the upset stomach and
the headache! <g>
--
Jim (ducking) in NC

Jose[_1_]
November 24th 06, 07:48 PM
> No sir, solids of REVOLUTION are cylinders. Solids of ROTATION can be given

Oops. My bad. (I've never heard of solids of rotation before, and just
read it as solids of revolution).

Jose
--
"There are 3 secrets to the perfect landing. Unfortunately, nobody knows
what they are." - (mike).

Jim Burns[_1_]
November 24th 06, 07:49 PM
I think it was 4 nephews between the ages of 2 and 5 :)
Jim

Steve Foley[_2_]
November 24th 06, 08:03 PM
"RST Engineering" > wrote in message

> To a cook, butter (US) comes in one pound packages and divided and wrapped
> into four "sticks" or cubes to the pound.

Thanks Jim.

My wife buys butter either in 4 sticks, or a 1 lb brick (same shape as the 4
sticks). I was trying to figure out if a 'cube' was a cube from a stick
(maybe 1" x 1" x 1") or a cube from the brick (1/2 LB?)

Jim Macklin
November 24th 06, 08:09 PM
--
"There are 3 secrets to the perfect landing. Unfortunately,
nobody knows
what they are." - (mike).

The proper place, nothing broken, and everybody asks, "Are
we down yet?"

"Jose" > wrote in message
et...
|> No sir, solids of REVOLUTION are cylinders. Solids of
ROTATION can be given

| Oops. My bad. (I've never heard of solids of rotation
before, and just
| read it as solids of revolution).
|
| Jose
| --
| "There are 3 secrets to the perfect landing.
Unfortunately, nobody knows
| what they are." - (mike).
| for Email, make the obvious change in the address.

Morgans[_2_]
November 25th 06, 12:03 AM
"Steve Foley" > wrote in message
> "RST Engineering" > wrote in message
>
>> To a cook, butter (US) comes in one pound packages and divided and wrapped
>> into four "sticks" or cubes to the pound.

Jim, when in the hell are you going to get a real ISP (or newsreader, if that
would help) that is not a known spambot, so everyone could read your posts
again.

You should make that a charge to "Kitplanes" since that is the way readers are
supposed to ask questions and get answers about your columns.

Seriously, there is nothing the responsible ISP's (like mine) will do, about
unblocking a known mass spam sending ISP, like yours.

The ball is in your court.

By the way, I never did see a regular on here, or RAH, volunteer to re-post
Jim's E-mails, so everyone can see them.

Any volunteers? Please?
--
Jim in NC

Morgans[_2_]
November 25th 06, 12:15 AM
"Jim Burns" > wrote in message
>I think it was 4 nephews between the ages of 2 and 5 :)
> Jim

Oooh, I remember those years.

I feel your pain! <g>

When I was growing up, our house was the usual location for the relatives to
congregate for the "big" holiday family celebrations. My parents had a very
smart solution to the "little brat" disease.

We had a partially finished basement, with a ping table, homemade foosball
table, dart board, TV, and some other kid type things to do. It was
semi-indestructible.

Kids under 16 were banished to the basement, except to come upstairs to go to
the bathroom, go outside, report the gushing of blood, or fill up their plate
for dinner.

It worked well. The kids had a blast, the parents didn't have to interact with
them, and everyone had a good day!

The damage was usually relatively minor. <g>
--
Jim in NC

john smith
November 25th 06, 02:06 AM
In article >,
"Jim Burns" > wrote:

> a couple loads to Wal Mart in Washington Courthouse last week

Gosh, that's only an hour away. If only I had known!

john smith
November 25th 06, 02:09 AM
In article >,
Jose > wrote:

> (I've never heard of solids of rotation before, and just
> read it as solids of revolution)

Kalifornia mathmatics.

Jim Burns
November 25th 06, 03:56 AM
LOL... well.. my parents house is the local gathering place and we've got
nearly the same banishment pit, filled with all the latest video games and
pcs where at least 5 or 6 other kids, includeing mine, ages 6-16 spend most
of the day. The 2-5'ers complain that they don't get a turn and the older
kids are too competative to work out a system to let the little kids play...
so the little ones chase each other around the house while the older ones
play in the dungeon. Up to 14 adults and 11 kids. Next plane will have to
be a Metroliner.
Jim

"Morgans" > wrote in message

> "Jim Burns" > wrote in message
>>I think it was 4 nephews between the ages of 2 and 5 :)
>> Jim
>
> Oooh, I remember those years.
>
> I feel your pain! <g>
>
> When I was growing up, our house was the usual location for the relatives
> to congregate for the "big" holiday family celebrations. My parents had a
> very smart solution to the "little brat" disease.
>
> We had a partially finished basement, with a ping table, homemade foosball
> table, dart board, TV, and some other kid type things to do. It was
> semi-indestructible.
>
> Kids under 16 were banished to the basement, except to come upstairs to go
> to the bathroom, go outside, report the gushing of blood, or fill up their
> plate for dinner.
>
> It worked well. The kids had a blast, the parents didn't have to interact
> with them, and everyone had a good day!
>
> The damage was usually relatively minor. <g>
> --
> Jim in NC

Jim Burns
November 25th 06, 04:01 AM
That's where their local distribution center is located. I don't know if
there's a DC closer to you than Wash. Crthse. If you go to the local
SuperCenter, see the "Select Fresh" brand of russet potatoes and it doesn't
say Idaho on the bag, odds are 1 out of 3 that they came from us. They
aren't our best customer but they aren't the cheapest customer either.
Jim

"john smith" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Jim Burns" > wrote:
>
>> a couple loads to Wal Mart in Washington Courthouse last week
>
> Gosh, that's only an hour away. If only I had known!

Greg B
November 25th 06, 05:37 AM
"john smith" > wrote in message
> Montblack... "Jim Burns potatos"
>
> Jay Honneck... "Jim Burns potatos"
>
> Can you buy these potatos online?
>
> (BTW, Jim Burns didn't mention what he was having.)

I thought it was something Jim did to the potatoes.

RST Engineering
November 25th 06, 06:53 AM
Gee, Jim, since you are the only one bitching about my posts, why don't you
get YOUR ISP's ass in gear?

Anybody else got a problem with my posts, or is Jim the odd man out here?

Jim

"Morgans" > wrote in message

> Jim, when in the hell are you going to get a real ISP (or newsreader, if
> that would help) that is not a known spambot, so everyone could read your
> posts again.

Google