PDA

View Full Version : F/A-18D question: loadout for a model project

Matt Wiser
December 12th 06, 06:20 AM
I'm just about finished with a 1/72 Hasegawa F/A-18D and have a question re: loadout. I
want to depict a bird from OIF-1, and have this load in mind; two GBU-12s on TERs each
wing, and two GBU-31 JDAMs each wing, with a centerline bag, FLIR and laser pods, and
two AIM-9Ms on the wingtips. Any help or advice would be appreciated. TIA.

December 12th 06, 05:52 PM
That's great you care about the weapon configuration details!

Four GBU and four JDAMs is definitely too heavy and draggy load for a
typical flight. The real aircraft with that would lose too much range
and manoeuvrability, and of course use not TER, but VERs. Many
combinations including JDAM, GBU-12/-16, AGM-88 HARM, AGM-65E Maverick
or Zuni launcher (mostly single piece of each type) would look quite
realistic. You can just look for images of F/A-18Ds over the internet,
and you can find some answers.

Another thing, F/A-18C/D Hornet usually tend to carry 2 or 3 fuel tanks
rather than only one. Also, if that is a Marine F/A-18D I would
consider replacing FLIR and laser pods with a LITENING pod on the
centerline, but I do not know if it is included in the model kit, and
if it's suits the era you are referring to (it's quite a new thing on
the real Hornets).

Just a few ideas of mine... Take what you like and leave the rest.

Good luck!
Jacek

On 12 Gru, 07:20, "Matt Wiser" > wrote:
> I'm just about finished with a 1/72 Hasegawa F/A-18D and have a question re: loadout. I
> want to depict a bird from OIF-1, and have this load in mind; two GBU-12s on TERs each
> wing, and two GBU-31 JDAMs each wing, with a centerline bag, FLIR and laser pods, and
> two AIM-9Ms on the wingtips. Any help or advice would be appreciated. TIA.

Matt Wiser
December 13th 06, 12:22 AM
"Matt Wiser" > wrote:

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, Hasegawa has not seen fit to include a Litening Pod in
the 1/72 Marine D (which is the kit in question). And I haven't found any aftermarket
accessory kits featuring the pod, either. They do have the HER, now that I've checked the kit.
I have seen pics of Marine Ds with LGBs and JDAMs carried together in OIF-1 in a couple
of books and several magazines. The load now would be the two pair of GBU-12s on HER,
two GBU-31s, and a centerline bag.

Google