PDA

View Full Version : Flaps/spoilers on which sailplanes?

December 27th 06, 06:22 PM
I have the SSA's "Directory of Sailplanes" from sometime in the
1970s(?), which is a great resource for finding the basics of certain
models of sailplanes, but I'm looking for something more detailed on
glidepath control. For example, if I want to find out if the Slingsby
Kestrel uses flaps or spoilers, or I want to find out if the Phoebus C
uses flaps or spoilers, or...

Is there such a resource?

Ric T.

jcarlyle
December 27th 06, 07:08 PM
Sure there is, Ric. Try this site:
http://www.sailplanedirectory.com/ndxtype.htm
You'll find what you're looking for, but you do have to wade through
the words.

-John

wrote:
> I have the SSA's "Directory of Sailplanes" from sometime in the
> 1970s(?), which is a great resource for finding the basics of certain
> models of sailplanes, but I'm looking for something more detailed on
> glidepath control. For example, if I want to find out if the Slingsby
> Kestrel uses flaps or spoilers, or I want to find out if the Phoebus C
> uses flaps or spoilers, or...
>
> Is there such a resource?
>
> Ric T.

Mike[_8_]
December 27th 06, 07:09 PM
"Janes World Sailplanes and Motorgliders" has that type of info.

wrote:
> I have the SSA's "Directory of Sailplanes" from sometime in the
> 1970s(?), which is a great resource for finding the basics of certain
> models of sailplanes, but I'm looking for something more detailed on
> glidepath control. For example, if I want to find out if the Slingsby
> Kestrel uses flaps or spoilers, or I want to find out if the Phoebus C
> uses flaps or spoilers, or...
>
> Is there such a resource?
>
> Ric T.

Eric Greenwell
December 27th 06, 07:39 PM
wrote:
> I have the SSA's "Directory of Sailplanes" from sometime in the
> 1970s(?),

There is a much newer issue (1997) available on printed ($6) or CD ($10)
from the SSA.

which is a great resource for finding the basics of certain
> models of sailplanes, but I'm looking for something more detailed on
> glidepath control. For example, if I want to find out if the Slingsby
> Kestrel uses flaps or spoilers, or I want to find out if the Phoebus C
> uses flaps or spoilers, or...
>
> Is there such a resource?

The 1997 directory has this information on it.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA
* "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org

December 27th 06, 07:44 PM
www.sailplanedirectory.com is a blatant reproduction of the 1997
sailplane guide. It also has additional information and photos
submitted by users.

There is a permission statement somewhere on the site referring to the
SSA and thanks for allowing the data to be used on the site.

Regards

Al

Eric Greenwell wrote:
> wrote:
> > I have the SSA's "Directory of Sailplanes" from sometime in the
> > 1970s(?),
>
> There is a much newer issue (1997) available on printed ($6) or CD ($10)
> from the SSA.
>
> which is a great resource for finding the basics of certain
> > models of sailplanes, but I'm looking for something more detailed on
> > glidepath control. For example, if I want to find out if the Slingsby
> > Kestrel uses flaps or spoilers, or I want to find out if the Phoebus C
> > uses flaps or spoilers, or...
> >
> > Is there such a resource?
>
> The 1997 directory has this information on it.
>

> --
> Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA
> * Change "netto" to "net" to email me directly
> * "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
> * "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org

Tony Verhulst
December 28th 06, 01:17 AM
wrote:
> I have the SSA's "Directory of Sailplanes" from sometime in the
> 1970s(?), which is a great resource for finding the basics of certain
> models of sailplanes, but I'm looking for something more detailed on
> glidepath control. For example, if I want to find out if the Slingsby
> Kestrel uses flaps or spoilers, or I want to find out if the Phoebus C
> uses flaps or spoilers, or...
>
> Is there such a resource?
>
> Ric T.

A *great* but hard to find book is "Sailplanes 1965-2000" by Martin
Simons. See
http://home.comcast.net/~verhulst/GBSC/read_lst/miscellaneous.htm

Tony V.

Robin Birch
December 28th 06, 02:12 PM
At 01:18 28 December 2006, Tony Verhulst wrote:
wrote:
>> I have the SSA's 'Directory of Sailplanes' from sometime
>>in the
>> 1970s(?), which is a great resource for finding the
>>basics of certain
>> models of sailplanes, but I'm looking for something
>>more detailed on
>> glidepath control. For example, if I want to find
>>out if the Slingsby
>> Kestrel uses flaps or spoilers, or I want to find
>>out if the Phoebus C
>> uses flaps or spoilers, or...
>>
>> Is there such a resource?
>>
>> Ric T.

Hi, The Kestrel has flaps, airbrakes and chute. The
flaps have (given all the normal mods) two landing
flap positions which are independant of the normal
flying flap system in that they can be raised and lowered
without affecting the aileron setting.

The first position is roughly equivalent to full +2
flying flap, the second is about twice this.

There are then upper surface airbrakes. These are
fairly ineffective on their own but with flaps are
very good for control. There is a mod to add extra
depth to the paddles in the same way as Ciruses do.

If this isn't enough then there is a tail chute that
makes you feel like you are pointing straight down.

Between this lot there is a landing combination that
suits most eventualities.

By the manual, landing speed with flaps and airbrake
is 50 kts and with chute 55kts.

The various mechanisms to make all this work is what
gives the Kestrel its reputation for having loads of
knobs and levers.

Robin

Kestrel driver
>A *great* but hard to find book is 'Sailplanes 1965-2000'
>by Martin
>Simons. See
>http://home.comcast.net/~verhulst/GBSC/read_lst/miscellaneous.htm
>
>Tony V.

Frank Whiteley
December 28th 06, 02:41 PM
The Kestrel 19 landing flaps are half span. IIRC, the actual
deflection is 15 degrees in notch one and 35 degrees in notch two.
Notch one can be used for winch launching and results in about 200ft
additional height on a 4500ft run. Lotta drag and a lotta lift.

Frank Whiteley

Robin Birch wrote:
> At 01:18 28 December 2006, Tony Verhulst wrote:
> wrote:
> >> I have the SSA's 'Directory of Sailplanes' from sometime
> >>in the
> >> 1970s(?), which is a great resource for finding the
> >>basics of certain
> >> models of sailplanes, but I'm looking for something
> >>more detailed on
> >> glidepath control. For example, if I want to find
> >>out if the Slingsby
> >> Kestrel uses flaps or spoilers, or I want to find
> >>out if the Phoebus C
> >> uses flaps or spoilers, or...
> >>
> >> Is there such a resource?
> >>
> >> Ric T.
> >>

> Hi, The Kestrel has flaps, airbrakes and chute. The
> flaps have (given all the normal mods) two landing
> flap positions which are independant of the normal
> flying flap system in that they can be raised and lowered
> without affecting the aileron setting.
>
> The first position is roughly equivalent to full +2
> flying flap, the second is about twice this.
>
> There are then upper surface airbrakes. These are
> fairly ineffective on their own but with flaps are
> very good for control. There is a mod to add extra
> depth to the paddles in the same way as Ciruses do.
>
> If this isn't enough then there is a tail chute that
> makes you feel like you are pointing straight down.
>
> Between this lot there is a landing combination that
> suits most eventualities.
>
> By the manual, landing speed with flaps and airbrake
> is 50 kts and with chute 55kts.
>
> The various mechanisms to make all this work is what
> gives the Kestrel its reputation for having loads of
> knobs and levers.
>
> Robin
>
> Kestrel driver
> >A *great* but hard to find book is 'Sailplanes 1965-2000'
> >by Martin
> >Simons. See
> >http://home.comcast.net/~verhulst/GBSC/read_lst/miscellaneous.htm
> >
> >Tony V.

Martin Gregorie[_1_]
December 30th 06, 09:36 PM
Tony Verhulst wrote:
> A *great* but hard to find book is "Sailplanes 1965-2000" by Martin
> Simons. See
> http://home.comcast.net/~verhulst/GBSC/read_lst/miscellaneous.htm

All three volumes (1920-1945, 1945-1960 and 1960-2000) are available
directly from Eqip, the publisher: http://www.eqip.de/

You can order online or by phone - they speak good English.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Paul Remde
December 30th 06, 10:46 PM
Hi,

I'll order them for sale on my web site. I tried to get them last year but
they said didn't have them available at that time.

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

"Martin Gregorie" > wrote in message
> Tony Verhulst wrote:
>> A *great* but hard to find book is "Sailplanes 1965-2000" by Martin
>> Simons. See
>> http://home.comcast.net/~verhulst/GBSC/read_lst/miscellaneous.htm
>>
> All three volumes (1920-1945, 1945-1960 and 1960-2000) are available
> directly from Eqip, the publisher: http://www.eqip.de/
>
> You can order online or by phone - they speak good English.
>

> --
> martin@ | Martin Gregorie
> gregorie. | Essex, UK
> org |

Tony Verhulst
December 31st 06, 01:11 AM
Martin Gregorie wrote:

>> A *great* but hard to find book is "Sailplanes 1965-2000" by Martin
>> Simons. See
>> http://home.comcast.net/~verhulst/GBSC/read_lst/miscellaneous.htm

> All three volumes (1920-1945, 1945-1960 and 1960-2000) are available
> directly from Eqip, the publisher: http://www.eqip.de/

Thanks for the info. I've updated my web site.

Tony V.

Tony Verhulst
December 31st 06, 01:12 AM
Martin Gregorie wrote:

>> A *great* but hard to find book is "Sailplanes 1965-2000" by Martin
>> Simons. See
>> http://home.comcast.net/~verhulst/GBSC/read_lst/miscellaneous.htm

> All three volumes (1920-1945, 1945-1960 and 1960-2000) are available
> directly from Eqip, the publisher: http://www.eqip.de/

Thanks for the info. I've updated my web site.

Tony V.

Google