PDA

View Full Version : Satellite Imagery of Eastern US

user
January 22nd 07, 12:18 AM
I am looking for a source (free or subscription) of high resolution ground
imagery (10m or better) of the eastern US. I need daily/hourly images.
Visual and IR would be ideal. My intent is to observe changes from day to
day.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

OC

Marc Ramsey
January 22nd 07, 12:38 AM
user wrote:
> I am looking for a source (free or subscription) of high resolution ground
> imagery (10m or better) of the eastern US. I need daily/hourly images.
> Visual and IR would be ideal. My intent is to observe changes from day to
> day.
>
> Any recommendations?

Unless you have very deep pockets, you aren't going to get 10m imagery
on a daily basis. If you can live with 250m, poke around here:

http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/subsets/

Marc

user
January 22nd 07, 03:47 PM
Thanks Marc. The 250m are marginal, but may serve. I appreciate the link.

OC

"Marc Ramsey" > wrote in message
t...
> user wrote:
>> I am looking for a source (free or subscription) of high resolution
>> ground imagery (10m or better) of the eastern US. I need daily/hourly
>> images. Visual and IR would be ideal. My intent is to observe changes
>> from day to day.
>>
>> Any recommendations?
>
> Unless you have very deep pockets, you aren't going to get 10m imagery on
> a daily basis. If you can live with 250m, poke around here:
>
> http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/subsets/
>
> Marc

Eric Greenwell
January 22nd 07, 04:51 PM
user wrote:
> I am looking for a source (free or subscription) of high resolution ground
> imagery (10m or better) of the eastern US. I need daily/hourly images.
> Visual and IR would be ideal. My intent is to observe changes from day to
> day.

What changes are you interested in, and for what purpose?

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA
* "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org

Oscar Goudriaan
January 23rd 07, 05:15 AM
Why dont you try Google Earth. Depending on what area you need, the
resolution is amazing. Go to www.google.com , search for google earth,
download and install the file.

"user" > wrote in message
>I am looking for a source (free or subscription) of high resolution ground
>imagery (10m or better) of the eastern US. I need daily/hourly images.
>Visual and IR would be ideal. My intent is to observe changes from day to
>day.
>
> Any recommendations?
>
> Thanks,
>
> OC

Wayne Paul
January 23rd 07, 05:59 AM
"Oscar Goudriaan" > wrote in message
> Why dont you try Google Earth. Depending on what area you need, the
> resolution is amazing. Go to www.google.com , search for google earth,
> download and install the file.

The Google Earth URL is http://earth.google.com/

Wayne
HP-14 "6F"
http://www.soaridaho.com/

Ramy
January 23rd 07, 07:44 AM
While Google earth has amazing resolution, it will not show day to day
changes, and the images are usually over 1 year old...

Ramy

Wayne Paul wrote:
> "Oscar Goudriaan" > wrote in message
> > Why dont you try Google Earth. Depending on what area you need, the
> > resolution is amazing. Go to www.google.com , search for google earth,
> > download and install the file.
> >

> The Google Earth URL is http://earth.google.com/
>
> Wayne
> HP-14 "6F"
> http://www.soaridaho.com/

Wayne Paul
January 23rd 07, 02:25 PM
Does anyone know how long images are "aged" prior to being made available on
Google Earth? My guess, based on local construction projects, is about 4
years.

Wayne
http://www.soaridaho.com/

"Ramy" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> While Google earth has amazing resolution, it will not show day to day
> changes, and the images are usually over 1 year old...
>
> Ramy
>
> Wayne Paul wrote:
>> "Oscar Goudriaan" > wrote in message
>> > Why dont you try Google Earth. Depending on what area you need, the
>> > resolution is amazing. Go to www.google.com , search for google earth,
>> > download and install the file.
>> >

>> The Google Earth URL is http://earth.google.com/
>>
>> Wayne
>> HP-14 "6F"
>> http://www.soaridaho.com/

Jeremy Zawodny
January 23rd 07, 03:20 PM
Wayne Paul wrote:
> Does anyone know how long images are "aged" prior to being made available on
> Google Earth? My guess, based on local construction projects, is about 4
> years.

It varies by region.

Jeremy

Eric Greenwell
January 23rd 07, 06:47 PM
Wayne Paul wrote:
> Does anyone know how long images are "aged" prior to being made available on
> Google Earth? My guess, based on local construction projects, is about 4
> years.

Using the same criteria with Google Maps for the Richland, Wa, area,
it's less than two years, maybe even one. But, maybe the update cycle is
4 years, even if it's a relatively new image when it is updated.

I still think it's amazing I can see which way my motorhome is pointing
(can't be sure about the glider trailer, though).

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org

5Z
January 23rd 07, 06:56 PM
On Jan 23, 7:25 am, "Wayne Paul" > wrote:
> Does anyone know how long images are "aged" prior to being made available on
> Google Earth?

I believe they use images that are in the public domain, or similar.
So it probably depends on the benevolence of the original owner... I
have no idea how this works with government entities, but perhaps one
has to wait until they 'get around" to putting them somewhere freely
available?

All just guessing, so YMMV

-Tom

Eric Greenwell
January 23rd 07, 06:56 PM
Eric Greenwell wrote:
> Wayne Paul wrote:
>> Does anyone know how long images are "aged" prior to being made
>> available on Google Earth? My guess, based on local construction
>> projects, is about 4 years.
>
> Using the same criteria with Google Maps for the Richland, Wa, area,
> it's less than two years, maybe even one. But, maybe the update cycle is
> 4 years, even if it's a relatively new image when it is updated.
>
> I still think it's amazing I can see which way my motorhome is pointing
> (can't be sure about the glider trailer, though).

Looking at it more carefully, I realize it's the zoomed in (8 highest
magnification levels) images that are the newest. As I zoom out, the
image changes to an older one from (I'm guessing) NASA satellites.

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org

Eric Greenwell
January 23rd 07, 07:01 PM
Eric Greenwell wrote:
> Wayne Paul wrote:
>> Does anyone know how long images are "aged" prior to being made
>> available on Google Earth? My guess, based on local construction
>> projects, is about 4 years.
>
> Using the same criteria with Google Maps for the Richland, Wa, area,
> it's less than two years, maybe even one. But, maybe the update cycle is
> 4 years, even if it's a relatively new image when it is updated.

I now see a burned area near our house that occurred July 4, 2006, so
the image is less than 6 months old!

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org

Jeremy Zawodny
January 23rd 07, 07:28 PM
5Z wrote:

> On Jan 23, 7:25 am, "Wayne Paul" > wrote:
>> Does anyone know how long images are "aged" prior to being made available on
>> Google Earth?
>
> I believe they use images that are in the public domain, or similar.
> So it probably depends on the benevolence of the original owner... I
> have no idea how this works with government entities, but perhaps one
> has to wait until they 'get around" to putting them somewhere freely
> available?

They use a mix of public and commercial imagery sources.

Jeremy

Google