PDA

View Full Version : Ivo Props

BRUCE FRANK
July 30th 03, 12:01 AM
I was looking through a recent copy of Custom Planes about installation and adjustment of an Ivo Prop. The interesting thing to me was the adjustment of blade length by cutting off the tips. Even though I have an Ivo that I intend to use I was under the impression that the "T" rod that twists the blades to change pitch ran the length of the blade and was imbedded near the tip. I gather I must be under the wrong impression? Where is the "T" end of the rod?

Also it appears that there is mostly foam inside the blades. Has anyone had any long term experience with the Ivo Magnum. Do these blades really stand up to the normal flexing and gyroscopic loads of a Utility type usage aircraft installed as a tractor rather than a pusher? I have many stories of failure in pusher installations; have seen some, but I haven't heard much about durability in day in day out non-ultralite application.

Oh, and the one I have was just too good a price to pass up. Second thoughts? Yes, that is why I have opened this thread again.

Bruce A. Frank

clare @ snyder.on .ca
July 30th 03, 04:14 AM
On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 23:01:10 GMT, "BRUCE FRANK"
> wrote:

>I was looking through a recent copy of Custom Planes about installation and adjustment of an Ivo Prop. The interesting thing to me was the adjustment of blade length by cutting off the tips. Even though I have an Ivo that I intend to use I was under the impression that the "T" rod that twists the blades to change pitch ran the length of the blade and was imbedded near the tip. I gather I must be under the wrong impression? Where is the "T" end of the rod?
>
>Also it appears that there is mostly foam inside the blades. Has anyone had any long term experience with the Ivo Magnum. Do these blades really stand up to the normal flexing and gyroscopic loads of a Utility type usage aircraft installed as a tractor rather than a pusher? I have many stories of failure in pusher installations; have seen some, but I haven't heard much about durability in day in day out non-ultralite application.
>
>Oh, and the one I have was just too good a price to pass up. Second thoughts? Yes, that is why I have opened this thread again.
>
>Bruce A. Frank
Ivo says you can shorten them ONLY to a specific length that I no
longer remember and can't find. The "T" is about 2/3 of the way out
the blade. I have shortened my 72" to 68" and am well within limits.
I have had a blade "open" to see what they are like inside. After a
ground strike. The "foam" in a Magnum is more like bondo and is just a
core that the carbon fiber/glass shell is molded over. Not sure what
the "little" IVOs are like.

RobertR237
August 6th 03, 03:43 AM
In article >, "BRUCE
FRANK" > writes:

>Oh, and the one I have was just too good a price to pass up. Second =
>thoughts? Yes, that is why I have opened this thread again.
>
>Bruce A. Frank

Just between you and me, and how ever many others read this group, I wouldn't
touch one with a ten meter pole.

Bob Reed

"Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice,
(M.A.S.H. Sidney Freedman)