PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for the Spins Rich

David B. Cole
October 12th 03, 03:00 AM
Today I had an opportunity to fly with Rich Stowell as part of his
annual Emergency Maneuver Training Clinic in NJ. Yesterday we
experienced low viz and fairly low ceilings the entire day with even
worse forecast for today, so it didn't look good for us. But today
turned out to be an almost perfect Fall day with temperatures in the
high 60's to lower 70's.

When I arrived at the airport I was greeted by Rich, the airport
owners and clinic hosts Linda and Corky, and two other students that
had flown with Rich earlier and were going up again for a second
session. After chatting for awhile he started the ground school where
we discussed the maneuvers we would do, how to operate the parachute,
and a host of other questions on emergencies. One of the guys who had
gone in the morning was scheduled to fly first after the ground
school, but he was willing to give up his spot to me. As reality
started to set in about what was soon to happen I became a little
anxious, but took his offer to go up first.

After getting acquainted with the Super Decathlon, which is a great
plane, and getting strapped in, we started up and he allowed me to
taxi to the active, do the runup, and takeoff. They aren't kidding
when they say you have to be constantly on your toes in a taildragger.
After takeoff we climbed to about 4000' to do some dutch rolls.
Initially I was a little timid with the ailerons, but eventually got
it together although my feet were still slower than I would have
liked. After the dutch rolls we moved on to a few power-off stalls.
Again, you have to be on your toes as the nose has more of a tendency
than the 172 to drop off to either side if you're too slow on the
rudder.

After a few power-off stalls performed while looking straight ahead,
we did a series where I had to pick an object off to the side and
focus on it throughout the entire stall. The tendency was to stop
looking at the selected object and to look toward the nose as the
stall broke, which causes even more disorientation and
overcontrolling. But after awhile you can not only sense what the
nose is doing by looking at that object, but you can also feel what
corrections need to be made during the recovery without looking out
over the nose. Following this we did the same exercise with power on
stalls, followed by a falling leaf where Rich kept the plane stalled
and I attempted to keep the wings level with the rudder.

Then he asked if I was ready for a couple spins, to which I anxiously
said yes. No demonstration needed, he talked me through the first
spin and I did it myself. Power back, 5 knots above stall kick in the
rudder and continue pulling. All I can say is "Wow!", the quickness
which with you go from looking at the sky to looking at ground is
incredible. Again Rich talked me through the recovery and before I
knew it we were straight and level and I was asking for more. Don't
get me wrong, the remaining three were still somewhat disorienting
because everything happens so quickly and the world is spinning around
pretty fast, but the actual departure wasn't a surprise anymore.

After the second spin Rich told me that I had as many spins as most
instructors, which I found to be very sad. On the third spin I
released the elevator backpressure just a bit too quickly and the
rotations sped up briefly, which was wild. On the way back to the
airport we did both an aileron roll and a loop and I was as giddy as a
schoolgirl. I was surprised that I didn't have any reservation with
just cranking the aileron full left and watching us go from upright
to inverted, then back to upright. And the loop, that was a total
thrill. I had a little more reservation with pulling the stick all
the way back for the loop than I had with the ailerons in the roll,
but before I knew it the sky disappeared, I was looking out over the
wing, and then the ground came back into view. No discomfort, and
although the G-meter registered about 3.5G's, I didn't really notice
it. Now my landing back at the field, that I'll keep to myself.

I would have to say that with the exception of becoming a pilot in the
first place, this was probably the best money I've spent since
beginning flying. While I certainly plan to exercise the same caution
I always have, my confidence has certainly increased since the specter
of the unknown is no longer there. But my respect for spins has also
increased, especially seeing the amount of altitude that we lost in
that one turn. I hope to make it to Cali to work with Rich more, but
also plan to pursue some additional aerobatic training here in the
area. I know some of you have already flown with Rich, but if you
haven't then do whatever you can to get some time with him. Not only
is he a great guy, but he is a great instructor that will make you
feel at ease. And if you're in the Jersey area, try to get on the
list for next year's clinic at Alexandria Field (N85). It's an
absolutely beautiful airport and I found myself there for a few hours
afterwards because of the fascinating backdrop of mountain ridges and
the amazing Fall colors.

Dave

Kevin Horton
October 12th 03, 12:55 PM
On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 20:00:31 -0700, David B. Cole wrote:

> After takeoff we
> climbed to about 4000' to do some dutch rolls. Initially I was a little
> timid with the ailerons, but eventually got it together although my feet
> were still slower than I would have liked. After the dutch rolls we
> moved on to a few power-off stalls. Again, you have to be on your toes
> as the nose has more of a tendency than the 172 to drop off to either
> side if you're too slow on the rudder.

Great write up.

One very small nit to pick - I know a lot of people think a dutch roll is
a manoeuvre where the pilot it actively making the aircraft roll back
and forth around a point. But the term properly means a combined yawing
and rolling oscillation that the aircraft does all by itself.

It is hard to have clear communication when we have words that
mean different things to different people.

For a rant on the mis-use of the term dutch roll, see:
http://www.douglasdc3.com/sohn/41.htm

For what Bill Kershner thinks about it:
http://pulsar.westmont.edu/aeronca/digest/techniques/0080.html

For descriptions of what dutch roll is:
http://www.rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk/aeroxtra/dtcstab7.htm
http://www.av8n.com/how/htm/equilib.html

And to show that dutch roll is not just an issue with swept-wing jets:
http://www.berkutengineering.com/pages/sportav898-3.html

--
Kevin Horton
Ottawa, Canada

Andrew Gideon
October 12th 03, 07:17 PM
David B. Cole wrote:

> I would have to say that with the exception of becoming a pilot in the
> first place, this was probably the best money I've spent since
> beginning flying.

Wow. Thanks, David. I'm eager for my slot next weekend.

- Andrew

Flynn
October 12th 03, 09:19 PM
Great write up. I took a 3-day, 5 mission EMT course based on Rich's work
down in Arizona this spring and went to a WINGS seminar that Rich did this
fall. I completely agree that this is some of the best $ spent after the
private lessons. I came away feeling much more in control of the airplane
and with significantly enhanced understanding of what it means to fly.

And...aerobatics are sooo much fun.!

Fly safe and fly fast!

--
Patrick Flynn
Sammamish, WA

"David B. Cole" > wrote in message
m...
> Today I had an opportunity to fly with Rich Stowell as part of his
> annual Emergency Maneuver Training Clinic in NJ. Yesterday we
> experienced low viz and fairly low ceilings the entire day with even
> worse forecast for today, so it didn't look good for us. But today
> turned out to be an almost perfect Fall day with temperatures in the
> high 60's to lower 70's.

Much snipped

>> Dave

David B. Cole
October 12th 03, 10:44 PM
You should be my friend. I'm actually on the waitlist just in case
any additional spots open during the week. Hopefully the weather will
be as nice next weekend as it was this weekend, that way you can
really enjoy the character of the airport. You should definitely take
the family with you. Call me if you want to catch up and make sure
you ask for a roll and a loop. Funny, sounds like a fast food order.
"Would you like a roll and a loop with your spins?"

Dave

Andrew Gideon > wrote in message e.com>...
> David B. Cole wrote:
>
> > I would have to say that with the exception of becoming a pilot in the
> > first place, this was probably the best money I've spent since
> > beginning flying.
>
> Wow. Thanks, David. I'm eager for my slot next weekend.
>
> - Andrew

Andrew Gideon
October 13th 03, 12:20 AM
David B. Cole wrote:

> You should definitely take
> the family with you.

Why? What would they be doing aside from waiting around during the lecture,
while others were flying, and - eventually - when I'm flying?

- Andrew

David B. Cole
October 13th 03, 06:31 AM
Ok, then don't.

Andrew Gideon > wrote in message e.com>...
> David B. Cole wrote:
>
> > You should definitely take
> > the family with you.
>
> Why? What would they be doing aside from waiting around during the lecture,
> while others were flying, and - eventually - when I'm flying?
>
> - Andrew

David B. Cole
October 13th 03, 06:36 AM
Patrick,

I've already put my name on the list for next year's seminar here in
NJ, but I may just have to take a trip to CA to spend a few days there
with Rich. In the meantime there is a guy here in NJ that does
aerobatics and one of the planes he has is a Stearman, which I would
love to fly. He was featured in AOPA Pilot a couple of months ago in
the issue where they highlighted Philly in preparation for the Expo.

Dave

"Flynn" > wrote in message news:<GHiib.743284$YN5.680572@sccrnsc01>...
> Great write up. I took a 3-day, 5 mission EMT course based on Rich's work
> down in Arizona this spring and went to a WINGS seminar that Rich did this
> fall. I completely agree that this is some of the best $ spent after the
> private lessons. I came away feeling much more in control of the airplane
> and with significantly enhanced understanding of what it means to fly.
>
> And...aerobatics are sooo much fun.!
>
> Fly safe and fly fast!
>
> --
> Patrick Flynn
> Sammamish, WA
> Cirrus SR22 N6099Z KRNT
>

> "David B. Cole" > wrote in message
> m...
> > Today I had an opportunity to fly with Rich Stowell as part of his
> > annual Emergency Maneuver Training Clinic in NJ. Yesterday we
> > experienced low viz and fairly low ceilings the entire day with even
> > worse forecast for today, so it didn't look good for us. But today
> > turned out to be an almost perfect Fall day with temperatures in the
> > high 60's to lower 70's.
> >
> Much snipped
> >
> >> Dave

Andrew Gideon
October 13th 03, 03:57 PM
David B. Cole wrote:

> Ok, then don't.

Well, you brought it up. I'd like to understand your reasoning.

- Andrew

Andrew Gideon
October 13th 03, 04:11 PM
David B. Cole wrote:

> Patrick,
>
> I've already put my name on the list for next year's seminar here in
> NJ, but I may just have to take a trip to CA to spend a few days there
> with Rich. In the meantime there is a guy here in NJ that does
> aerobatics and one of the planes he has is a Stearman, which I would
> love to fly. He was featured in AOPA Pilot a couple of months ago in
> the issue where they highlighted Philly in preparation for the Expo.
>
> Dave

Here?

http://www.aopa.org/members/files/pilot/2003/post0308.html#vansant

But that's a PA location, no? Still, it doesn't appear to be too far beyond
Pittstown. Here's more on what they offer there:

http://www.vansantairport.com/aeroap.html

But the best part...they actually seem to *rent* the Stearman.

- Andrew

Flynn
October 14th 03, 05:01 AM
One of these days, I'm going for a ride in a Stearman or Waco.....Got to do
it.

"David B. Cole" > wrote in message
m...
> Patrick,
>
> I've already put my name on the list for next year's seminar here in
> NJ, but I may just have to take a trip to CA to spend a few days there
> with Rich. In the meantime there is a guy here in NJ that does
> aerobatics and one of the planes he has is a Stearman, which I would
> love to fly. He was featured in AOPA Pilot a couple of months ago in
> the issue where they highlighted Philly in preparation for the Expo.
>
> Dave
>
> "Flynn" > wrote in message
> > Great write up. I took a 3-day, 5 mission EMT course based on Rich's
work
> > down in Arizona this spring and went to a WINGS seminar that Rich did
this
> > fall. I completely agree that this is some of the best $ spent after
the
> > private lessons. I came away feeling much more in control of the
airplane
> > and with significantly enhanced understanding of what it means to fly.
> >
> > And...aerobatics are sooo much fun.!
> >
> > Fly safe and fly fast!
> >
> > --
> > Patrick Flynn
> > Sammamish, WA
> > Cirrus SR22 N6099Z KRNT
> >

> > "David B. Cole" > wrote in message
> > m...
> > > Today I had an opportunity to fly with Rich Stowell as part of his
> > > annual Emergency Maneuver Training Clinic in NJ. Yesterday we
> > > experienced low viz and fairly low ceilings the entire day with even
> > > worse forecast for today, so it didn't look good for us. But today
> > > turned out to be an almost perfect Fall day with temperatures in the
> > > high 60's to lower 70's.
> > >
> > Much snipped

David B. Cole
October 14th 03, 04:05 PM
Yep, I've already checked them out. Remember I sent you their link a
few months ago when I first started to look for local aerobatic
operations?

Dave

Andrew Gideon > wrote in message ne.com>...
> David B. Cole wrote:
>
> > Patrick,
> >
> > I've already put my name on the list for next year's seminar here in
> > NJ, but I may just have to take a trip to CA to spend a few days there
> > with Rich. In the meantime there is a guy here in NJ that does
> > aerobatics and one of the planes he has is a Stearman, which I would
> > love to fly. He was featured in AOPA Pilot a couple of months ago in
> > the issue where they highlighted Philly in preparation for the Expo.
> >
> > Dave
>
> Here?
>
> http://www.aopa.org/members/files/pilot/2003/post0308.html#vansant
>
> But that's a PA location, no? Still, it doesn't appear to be too far beyond
> Pittstown. Here's more on what they offer there:
>
> http://www.vansantairport.com/aeroap.html
>
> But the best part...they actually seem to *rent* the Stearman.
>
> - Andrew

Rich Stowell
October 15th 03, 08:23 PM
Kevin Horton > wrote in message >...
> On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 20:00:31 -0700, David B. Cole wrote:
>

> > After takeoff we
> > climbed to about 4000' to do some dutch rolls. Initially I was a little
> > timid with the ailerons, but eventually got it together although my feet
> > were still slower than I would have liked. After the dutch rolls we
> > moved on to a few power-off stalls. Again, you have to be on your toes
> > as the nose has more of a tendency than the 172 to drop off to either
> > side if you're too slow on the rudder.
>
> Great write up.
>
> One very small nit to pick - I know a lot of people think a dutch roll is
> a manoeuvre where the pilot it actively making the aircraft roll back
> and forth around a point. But the term properly means a combined yawing
> and rolling oscillation that the aircraft does all by itself.
>
> It is hard to have clear communication when we have words that
> mean different things to different people.
>
> For a rant on the mis-use of the term dutch roll, see:
> http://www.douglasdc3.com/sohn/41.htm
>
> For what Bill Kershner thinks about it:
> http://pulsar.westmont.edu/aeronca/digest/techniques/0080.html
>
> For descriptions of what dutch roll is:
> http://www.rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk/aeroxtra/dtcstab7.htm
> http://www.av8n.com/how/htm/equilib.html
>
> And to show that dutch roll is not just an issue with swept-wing jets:
> http://www.berkutengineering.com/pages/sportav898-3.html

Hi Kevin,

Pilots picking nits? Who would have guessed ; )

The English language is very colorful, and many terms have multiple
meanings depending on the context. In the context of the aerobatic
environment, Dutch Roll (note the capitalization, which is customary
in this context) is well understood by aerobatic pilots to describe a
specific coordination maneuver as opposed to the inherent instability
dutch roll common in swept wing aircraft.

While it is true that sometimes the use of certain terms can lead to
confusion, we nevertheless frequently use terminology that has
multiple meanings. For example, ask the airline pilot who is strapping
into his aerobatic mount on his day off from his flying job to explain
and perform a Dutch Roll, and he will know exactly what is being asked
of him. However, ask him to define dutch roll while he's at 35,000
feet in the left seat of his airliner, and he'll likely delve into the
aerodynamic issues involved with dutch roll instability.

Yes, context is important; but to imply that a particlar phrase or
word can and must have one and only one meaning might be a fruitless
exercise indeed! Consider the following:

We'd have to find another word for "stall" since it means something
totally different to me when I'm in my car versus when I'm in my
airplane (and there are far more drivers than pilots, so we'd probably
lose the battle for exclusive use of that term);

We'd have to find another name for "flaps" because, frankly, they
don't;

The "elevator" does not elevate;

"Adding more throttle" or "increasing throttle" doesn't throttle
anything;

"Snap Rolls" have nothing to do with the roll control.

Anyone want to add to this list?

Rich
http://www.richstowell.com

Kevin Horton
October 15th 03, 09:04 PM
On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 13:23:12 -0700, Rich Stowell wrote:

> Kevin Horton > wrote in message
>>
>> One very small nit to pick - I know a lot of people think a dutch roll
>> is a manoeuvre where the pilot it actively making the aircraft roll back
>> and forth around a point. But the term properly means a combined yawing
>> and rolling oscillation that the aircraft does all by itself.
>>
>> It is hard to have clear communication when we have words that mean
>> different things to different people.
>>
>> For a rant on the mis-use of the term dutch roll, see:
>> http://www.douglasdc3.com/sohn/41.htm
>>

> Hi Kevin,
>
> Pilots picking nits? Who would have guessed ; )
>
> The English language is very colorful, and many terms have multiple
> meanings depending on the context. In the context of the aerobatic
> environment, Dutch Roll (note the capitalization, which is customary in
> this context) is well understood by aerobatic pilots to describe a
> specific coordination maneuver as opposed to the inherent instability
> dutch roll common in swept wing aircraft.
>
> While it is true that sometimes the use of certain terms can lead to
> confusion, we nevertheless frequently use terminology that has multiple
> meanings. For example, ask the airline pilot who is strapping into his
> aerobatic mount on his day off from his flying job to explain and perform
> a Dutch Roll, and he will know exactly what is being asked of him.
> However, ask him to define dutch roll while he's at 35,000 feet in the
> left seat of his airliner, and he'll likely delve into the aerodynamic
> issues involved with dutch roll instability.
>
> Yes, context is important; but to imply that a particlar phrase or word
> can and must have one and only one meaning might be a fruitless exercise
> indeed! Consider the following:

Rich,

Yeah, I was probably a bit over-the-top with my post. And my perspective
is perhaps clouded by my military and flight test background.

I guess the important point to reel in is that we need to be aware of
when a term could have more than one meaning, and provide enough context
to make the intended meaning clear. I first heard the term Dutch Roll
used to describe a coordination manoeuvre a couple of months ago. Before
that, if I went flying with you and you asked me to do a Dutch Roll, you
would have been baffled to watch me do a rudder doublet and count the yaw
overshoots. :)

Poor lateral-directional dynamic stabilty (a.k.a. dutch roll) is not
just an issue with swept-wing yets. I've heard many a V-tail Bonanza
driver complain about the tail wag, which is just a variant of dutch roll.

I'd tell you to keep the blue side up, but you probably don't want to do
that :)

Fly safe,
--
Kevin Horton
Ottawa, Canada
e-mail: khorton02(_at_)rogers(_dot_)com
http://go.phpwebhosting.com/~khorton/rv8/

Andrew Gideon
October 17th 03, 02:38 AM
Rich Stowell wrote:

> Anyone want to add to this list?

The preflight checklist for the newer Cessna 172s requires that the fuel
shutoff be on. If the shutoff were on, wouldn't the fuel [flow] be shut
off?

- Andrew

P.S. See you in a couple of days.

Andrew Gideon
October 18th 03, 09:45 PM
David B. Cole wrote:

> Yep, I've already checked them out. Remember I sent you their link a
> few months ago when I first started to look for local aerobatic
> operations?

So when can we go?

I consider myself a reasonable eloquent writer. But I find I've no way to
completely express what I felt after taking this course.

I could start with the easy stuff. I was nauseated. I'd thought I was
beyond that, as it's not occured since early in my training. But I never
did anything like this. Before I do it again, I'll be sure to have a care
and take precautions (eat some beforehand, no coffee, etc.). I broke all
those rules I'd developed for myself because I thought it didn't matter
anymore.

Ah well. That brings me to "frustrated" and "annoyed with myself". After
four spins (and the "basic flying" practiced earlier, like dutch rolls), I
decided to not risk the nice interior by continuing with a roll or a loop.

Awe is worth mentioning. My entire perspective of flying has shifted. I've
read about adverse yaw, for example, but it is so *obvious* in the Super
Decathalon! I could see that my footwork needs work; I've permitted myself
to become lazy on the rudder - assuming I was ever any better. But I
should shift the subject lest I return to "annoyed with myself".

So let's look instead at eagerness: I need to do this again. This is a
dimension to flying that I never before felt. Even things I thought I knew
are changed. I've already mentioned rudders. But I've always responded to
stalls with large movements that are apparently unnecessary and overkill.
It never occurred to me that I could take a subtle approach.

As Dave wrote at the start of this thread, I plan to do more. I've already
fired off an email to friends in the LA area asking "so, where is this
place relative to you" with regard to the airport where Rich is based.

Of course, I know that there's aero taught around here. Dave already has
something lined up, I think <grin>. When are we going?

Respect of the airplane also deserves mention. In this one brief flight, I
acquired a new feel for how an aircraft responds to its environment (which
includes the pilot and his/her instructions to the airplane). Part of this
was flying an aircraft far more responsive than I'd ever touched, but part
was the "view" that Rich has and explains. For example, it was easy to see
the relationship between a chandelle and a half-loop followed by a
half-roll (an immelman).

One interesting thing I noticed is that a number of the people taking the
course were students still working on their PPLs. I envy them that. This
is a terrific course, and it teaches a lot about flying. That it also
teaches hands-on responses to situations like spins is just the start.

- Andrew

David B. Cole
October 19th 03, 02:21 AM
Andrew,

Glad you enjoyed yourself, but sorry your nausea prevented you from
doing the extras. However, at the end of the day you did what was
most important. It's wierd, but my stomach was a little uneasy before
we took off, probably because of the anticipation. Even during the
Dutch Rolls I felt a little off, but felt fine for the duration. I
have a tendency to overanalyze things and worry too much about them,
and when I actually get around to doing whatever it is, it's never as
bad as I expected. What I found funny is that even while doing the
stalls, I was still a little concerned about getting into a spin, even
though that's the reason why I was there. I guess it came down to
mental readiness. I wanted to know exactly when the spin was going to
happen, and didn't want to get there from a botched stall, even though
I knew I would be doing spins only minutes later. Strange really. Of
course now I can probably do stalls and not even consider a wing drop.

I'm certainly considering heading out to VanSant if I can't make it
out to CA or get on Rich's schedule. Hell, I may even do both. I too
have already started looking at info for the area near Rich's airport.
I had an instrument lesson today and while I know that I'm more
confident in my flying because of the training, for some reason I
couldn't get anything right today and I left the airport in a very bad
mood. Perhaps I felt that my newfound confidence would translate to
my IR flying and I would come out of today's lesson ready for the
checkride. But I did notice that I was a lot less reluctant to muscle
the plane when necessary, especially with the turbulence we
experienced today. With regard to the rudder, I admit that my rudder
skills are a weakness as well. That's why I'm considering combining
the acro time with a tailwheel checkout after I'm done witht the IR.
Again, I don't think I could have spent the money any better than
flying with Rich.

> [...]

> something lined up, I think <grin>. When are we going?
>
> Respect of the airplane also deserves mention. In this one brief flight, I
> acquired a new feel for how an aircraft responds to its environment (which
> includes the pilot and his/her instructions to the airplane). Part of this
> was flying an aircraft far more responsive than I'd ever touched, but part
> was the "view" that Rich has and explains. For example, it was easy to see
> the relationship between a chandelle and a half-loop followed by a
> half-roll (an immelman).
>
> One interesting thing I noticed is that a number of the people taking the
> course were students still working on their PPLs. I envy them that. This
> is a terrific course, and it teaches a lot about flying. That it also
> teaches hands-on responses to situations like spins is just the start.

Hilton
October 26th 03, 08:37 AM
Rich Stowell wrote:

> We'd have to find another name for "flaps" because, frankly, they
> don't;
>
> The "elevator" does not elevate;
>
> "Adding more throttle" or "increasing throttle" doesn't throttle
> anything;
>
> "Snap Rolls" have nothing to do with the roll control.
>
> Anyone want to add to this list?

"World Series"? :)

BTW: I too am a 'graduate' of a Rich Stowell weekend of spins, or more
correctly EMT. I also own his EMT book (www.amazon.com) and videos (books
and videos available from http://www.richstowell.com/shop.htm). It was an
excellent learning experience. My opinion is that (some amount of) spin
training should be part of the pilot certificate training - but that's for
another thread. Rich's does great FAA Wings Seminars too. Did I mention
Rich is a great guy? Check him out at http://www.richstowell.com

Hilton

Google