PDA

View Full Version : wris****ch altimeters

December 3rd 03, 12:47 AM
Do any of the altimeters available in wrist watches work well enough
to be a coarse backup to the panel altimeter? How do they calibrate
for changes in pressure?

Juan..E.-Jimenez
December 3rd 03, 03:09 AM
Coarse, yes. You set the altimeter setting on the watch at your starting
point, or at the reference point for ground level. At least that's how the
Vertech works.

> wrote in message
> Do any of the altimeters available in wrist watches work well enough
> to be a coarse backup to the panel altimeter? How do they calibrate
> for changes in pressure?

Vaughn
December 6th 03, 01:22 AM
"Juan..E.-Jimenez" <b*d&5^-@-*b(d)5+.!c#o$m> wrote in message
> Coarse, yes. You set the altimeter setting on the watch at your starting
> point, or at the reference point for ground level. At least that's how the
> Vertech works.
I have a Nike-branded altimeter watch. It seems accurate enough if it
is set before a flight and it gives you a neat graph of a flight, but it is
not so good if you want to know your altitude from moment to moment. It
only seems to update about every five minutes or so, although you can
manually force it to update with several button pushes. I wanted it so I
could cheat a bit when I do "covered altimeter" work with my students, but
its usefulness for this is limited.

Vaughn

Google